Update:ny child dies of nicotine poisoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
The problem I'm having with this story is that if a consumer sized bottle of liquid with a typical amount of nic can kill a 1 year old I would predict it would have happened somewhere in the world before this and more than once before. So I went looking for another story and so far find nothing.

Here is an account of a 10 month old who injested nicotine in 2014 and was taken to the ER. Nicotine Poisoning of Infant Highlights 'E-Cig' Dangers, Docs Report - US News

In the above the sypmptoms were vomiting, elevated heart rate, and the symptoms were mostly gone in six hours. There must have been other similar situations. I wonder if there is any place to read about them. E liquids have been around for years all around the world. I would guess children have injested e liquid at home some thousands.

Kevin littell

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Covington Ga
My problem with this whole conversation is:

Everybody is whining about the possibility of child proof caps and denying that the juice is a poison that needs to be kept away from little ones.

Its about the dead kid folks, not about us.

(Leave the gun control discussion for CNN blogs and Yahoo news commentary too!)

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
Everybody?

Everybody is whining about the possibility of child proof caps and denying that the juice is a poison that needs to be kept away from little ones.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Liquid nicotine could be as high as 100mg/ml.

I'd be interested to know if anybody thinks that statement says something.

If you were to state that 'liquid nicotine could be as low as ".... something that might mean something.
Or maybe you made a misstatement? Becaues obviously, 1000mg/ml (which is higher than 100mg/ml) certainly is liquid nicotine.
Perhaps that's what you meant to say?
"Liquid nicotine could be as high as 1000mg/ml" ?

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
The highest a person can buy is 999 mg / ml. It is hard to find but it is out there. RTS is one of the vendors that sell it that high. It has disclaimers that it is for lab use and not consumer use.

Wholesale Pure 999 MG Flavorless Nicotine Liquid

That's a minimum of 3 liters!!
I wish I could get 1, 2, 5 or no more than 10ml.
Wish I could get a 10ml bottle from the pharmacy.
The most I can get from a pharmacy is 15ml of (maybe) 2.4%

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
This is tragic. I don't have children, but I do have two very curious greyhound boys. All of my e-liquid (as well as all of my vape gear) is stored in a room they never go into in a cabinet above where they can reach.

I bet you do not have any 'liquid nicotine' in your house.
The reports we have are that the child injested 'liquid nicotine'.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA

No.

"Child-proof" caps are a complete oxymoron. The largest number of child poisonings come from prescription meds with childproof caps.

The problem is not packaging. It's parenting.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Something about this story still seems fishy..
Found the quote below in an article by Jacques Le Houezec

The drag on e-cigarettes | Le Houezec Jacques | The Jordan Times

"After reviewing case reports of nicotine intoxications and suicide attempts, the pharmacologist Bernd Mayer found that the lethal dose of nicotine in humans must be somewhere between 500-1,000 mg of absorbed — not just ingested — nicotine.

Given that one of the first symptoms of intoxication is vomiting, and that 70 per cent of the remaining nicotine in the digestive tract is metabolised by the liver before it reaches other organs, absorbing that much nicotine is not easy."

Yep; a teaspoon, of 'liquid nicotine' (which means 1000mg/ml) can kill a child; and handling liquid nicotine is a subject of safety in the DIY eliquid forum;; oh; I just realized/remembered we are not even supposed to discuss/mention the substance; but the topic has come up in the media.

The reported incident is that the child ingested 'liquid nicotine'';
so far, still no name of the victim, and no clarification/verification of the 'liquid nicotine' strength.

Jake6731

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2013
Plano,TX,USA
Need to look closely at how the latest news article reporting this incident defines "Liquid Nicotine":
"Nicotine, a powerful stimulant extracted from tobacco, is mixed with flavors, coloring and other chemicals to create liquid nicotine, which is then loaded into electronic cigarettes to be vaporized and inhaled by the user. "
Lethal side of liquid nicotine - Times Union

This article lists names of those involved as well.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Need to look closely at how the latest news article reporting this incident defines "Liquid Nicotine":
"Nicotine, a powerful stimulant extracted from tobacco, is mixed with flavors, coloring and other chemicals to create liquid nicotine, which is then loaded into electronic cigarettes to be vaporized and inhaled by the user. "

Thanks!
Finally, a name.

Brenda Hotaling said she and her sister, Belinda Hotaling, had just moved into the home on Garfield Street, and there were boxes everywhere. Alyssa Hotaling said the liquid nicotine, which belonged to Belinda, had been accidentally been packed into the wrong box during the move.

When Brenda Hotaling brought Eli to her new home, Eli asked for his favorite show, ''SpongeBob SquarePants,'' saying "Bob, Bob, Bob."

When she turned around from putting the show on, Eli was lying on the floor, convulsing, and his eyes were rolling back in his head, she said.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US

Good find, Jake....

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa

good find Jake.
i am trying to be objective here but, i a having a hard time believing
the account given in the article. somethings not right. the time line
and or the account of the story doesn't add up.
regards
mike

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
good find Jake.
i am trying to be objective here but, i a having a hard time believing
the account given in the article. somethings not right. the time line
and or the account of the story doesn't add up.
regards
mike
According to the poison control folks thousands of kids have gotten in to e liquid and given their parents a scare in the last few years. The number has to be much larger world wide. If this is the first fatality of this kind anywhere in the world there might be unique circumstances that need to be determined. For starters I would guess that the bottle was the most common one, child resistant cap and a drip nipple on the opening.

Last edited:

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
According to the poison control folks thousands of kids have gotten in to e liquid and given their parents a scare in the last few years. The number has to be much larger world wide. If this is the first fatility of this kind anywhere in the world there might be unique circumstances that need to be determined. For starters I would guess that the bottle was the most common one, child resistant cap and a drip nipple on the opening.

Well, your guess may be correct, but all the juice I've purchased from MyFreedomSmokes has come in cheap, non-childproof containers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread