Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
I've shipped USPS for 35 years .. I've had two packages get lost or damaged in that time .. I ship Worldwide .. I make custom guitars and sell parts as well ..

Packaging is the key ..

Holding a vendor responsible for something beyond their control is unfair as long as the vendor did their job right .. in this case, it does not sound like they did .. an order from any customer is the responsibility of the vendor to pack correctly and obtain insurance on anything of value .. unfortunately, this costs money .. proper boxing / packing materials / etc are not free and vendors that want to minimize problems should invest in what it takes ..

I believe that the USPS is staffed by fine American workers that for the most part do the best job they can with what they have ..

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Did you Tip the Mail person for X-ma$
Alan
Post office admitted damaging your package & gave you written proof... USPS fault, now they must pay or you go Postal

Whether they admitted it or not does not mean anything unless is was insured .. which is the responsibility of the vendor .. inadequately packaged orders are just that ..

worthatry

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2012
Charlotte
That sucks. Damaged package is one thing, package without the contents is another. Your picture appears that someone stole it and delivered the package. Insurance? What a load of bull. I paid you to deliver the package, insurance should be on you. Time to dispute the charges. You don't get it, don't pay for it. Plain and simple.

dialx7

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2013
Illinois
.time to pay the extra $ and get ur stuff shipped fedex :D

FedEx carries the mail and packages for USPS, they deliver to post offices, then USPS carriers deliver it from there. FedEx delivers timely, USPS then has to sort, distribute, and deliver. These shipments have one bulk "tracking", not each individual package. When one asks for FedEx shipping, then the shipment receives it's own individual tracking number.

The courier companies I deal with (mind you it is in a different country) have a small amount of insurance which is basic for any package, usually $50.00, if we don't purchase insurance for the higher value the maximum we can claim is 50. Also, whoever paid the courier for shipping has to file the claim (even if I paid the shipper for it, the shipper paid the courier). This is for UPS, DHL, etc, but it might be worth checking out just in case.

FedEx has $100 automatic declared value added into every shipment. Anything above that needs to be declared for an additional surcharge.
Also, you are correct, the shipper must file the claim with the carrier, since the contract is between the shipper and the carrier. Trackable packages are worth their weight in gold, agreed?

Last edited:

Sweller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2011
St. louis
That sucks. Damaged package is one thing, package without the contents is another. Your picture appears that someone stole it and delivered the package. Insurance? What a load of bull. I paid you to deliver the package, insurance should be on you. Time to dispute the charges. You don't get it, don't pay for it. Plain and simple.

To me it does look like someone took it but who knows. Still haven't heard from volcano. Money was already taken out of my account so I'm not sure if I can dispute the charges....

worthatry

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2012
Charlotte
To me it does look like someone took it but who knows. Still haven't heard from volcano. Money was already taken out of my account so I'm not sure if I can dispute the charges....

I have never done it but talk to your bank. I think with a credit card it's easier. Doesn't hurt to ask your bank though and see, they do work for you. The situation sucks but I don't see why you should be the one and the only one losing money here.

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
Absolutely no reason for you to pay for an item that was damaged by either the USPS or bad packaging. Now the USPS has apologized and the pic you showed clearly showed signs of trauma. Some here are defending the USPS to the hilt, and that is their right. I say, they damaged your property, period. They broke your item. You paid them to bring it to you, and they broke it. It is really that simple.

Your vendor, however, may be the easiest source of recovery for you. If you paid with PayPal you have 45 days to dispute it, you will get your money back. Credit card times vary by vendor, but most have similar methods. If you get your money back, the vendor will collect from the hammer-handed drones at the USPS who have repaid your trust in giving them delivery business with stonewalling, attitude, and obfuscation. It is too bad, but if you do nothing, you will be the one who paid two parties for a product and received nothing. What is fair about that?

Now they (the USPS) admit they have done you wrong, but will not remedy it. A complete disgrace, and no professional organization would behave the way they have in this case. There should be no question. There would be no question if UPS or FedEx had done this. They would just make it right.

You will no doubt next time order shipping for critical items from someone who is accountable.

EDIT: I see you had money taken from some account, so the credit card and PayPal avenues are closed. Like worthatry suggested, talk to the Bank. In the future, always use PayPal if you can. It would have protected you in this case.

Last edited:

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
There in lies the rub. Its the govt we're dealing with. I wish vendors would ditch them. I would pay more for one of the private carriers. Besides, I don't like my one-person post office clerk seeing what I'm getting... nor any fed for that matter.

Eddardinwinter said:
"Now they (the USPS) admit they have done you wrong, but will not remedy it. A complete disgrace, and no professional organization would behave the way they have in this case. There should be no question. There would be no question if UPS or FedEx had done this. They would just make it right."

Sweller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2011
St. louis
What if your mailman vapes? Beware. All your juice and equipment will be stolen!

I know for sure my mail lady doesn't vape. But she does appear to hate her job or my vapemail one of the 2. I have a smaller mailbox and she has had to drop stuff off at my door if my mailbox is too full and I've seen her with a sour look on her face and shaking her head. I've heard rumors of what postal workers make and if its true I'd gladly switch her jobs. To add to my complaint I'm not sure if anyone else has the same problems but my mail times are so inconsistent. I can get mail at around noon one day and 5pm another. My buddy lives 6 miles away and his mail runs about the same time everyday and I've witnessed it. Same with the mailman at my work.

Last edited:

mmudder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2012
Tennessee
I've been lucky. RTS packs their products very well for shipping. If they didn't, glass containers full of liquids would be shattered. Most of the boxes I've gotten from USPS have been extremely beaten up. They've looked so bad that I feared the worst, only to open them and find that the packing was the -only- thing that saved the items. I think UPS is the best bet if possible. I plan to opt for that with future orders if I have the option.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
If insurance is not purchased, USPS is not responsible for any compensation to the buyer or vendor .. and on this packaging, UPS or FEDEX would not pay a nickel on any claim either since the packing did not meet minimum requirements .. you see, to be paid even if you have insurance, the article must be packed within the shippers standards .. in a box / with at least X amount of padding around the item, etc ..

Some may think this is unfair .. well, no it's not .. if you are sending an item, it should be packed securely, period .. to not do so is a bad business practice .. especially when we live in a time of Internet Mail Order Buying ..

As well, PayPal has restrictions on using their service for e-cig related items ..

When offering advice, it's always a good idea to make sure the advice is accurate ..

Absolutely no reason for you to pay for an item that was damaged by either the USPS or bad packaging. Now the USPS has apologized and the pic you showed clearly showed signs of trauma. Some here are defending the USPS to the hilt, and that is their right. I say, they damaged your property, period. They broke your item. You paid them to bring it to you, and they broke it. It is really that simple.

Your vendor, however, may be the easiest source of recovery for you. If you paid with PayPal you have 45 days to dispute it, you will get your money back. Credit card times vary by vendor, but most have similar methods. If you get your money back, the vendor will collect from the hammer-handed drones at the USPS who have repaid your trust in giving them delivery business with stonewalling, attitude, and obfuscation. It is too bad, but if you do nothing, you will be the one who paid two parties for a product and received nothing. What is fair about that?

Now they (the USPS) admit they have done you wrong, but will not remedy it. A complete disgrace, and no professional organization would behave the way they have in this case. There should be no question. There would be no question if UPS or FedEx had done this. They would just make it right.

You will no doubt next time order shipping for critical items from someone who is accountable.

EDIT: I see you had money taken from some account, so the credit card and PayPal avenues are closed. Like worthatry suggested, talk to the Bank. In the future, always use PayPal if you can. It would have protected you in this case.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
I've been lucky. RTS packs their products very well for shipping. If they didn't, glass containers full of liquids would be shattered. Most of the boxes I've gotten from USPS have been extremely beaten up. They've looked so bad that I feared the worst, only to open them and find that the packing was the -only- thing that saved the items. I think UPS is the best bet if possible. I plan to opt for that with future orders if I have the option.

If an order arrives undamaged, then the vendor and USPS have done their job .. regardless of what the box looks like ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread