Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
What if your mailman vapes? Beware. All your juice and equipment will be stolen!

Mail carriers that have consistent complaints about lost packages are dealt with by USPS .. believe me, a mail carrier doing 40K a year is not going to put their job in jepardy over a few packages .. unless they are mentally off balance ..

Last edited:

vernhall

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
United States
The Post Office has always been the Post Office -- not really giving a damn about service, rates, or personality. And, now, with the threat of no Saturday Delivery hanging over their heads (though I sincerely doubt their workers will feel any pinch from the cutback) their attitude is even worse than normal.

However, I agree with the sentiment that your shipper should bear at least part, if not most, of the blame. As said before, who ships an expensive item in an envelope? It should have been shipped in a box..and..it should have been insured on their end! I ran a business for over 35 years that relied heavily on mail order and I included insurance as part of the cost of doing business. Did it eat into the bottom line? Yes. But, also, did it solve a lot of probs over the years? Absolutely!! It's no hard to eat a few pennies for insurance when the alternative is to eat a whole bunch of dollars on a lost/damaged item...

Bubba

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2010
North Carolina
OK just a few things here:

First, there's no way that should have been stuck in an envelope like that. I see it was sent priority mail, which means flat rate, and also free packaging materials. Vendor could have used a box instead of that envelope. Hopefully they will make this right but like someone else said, that was poorly packaged.

Second, call your bank and file a claim. I'm a fraud investigator for a major bank and can tell you it's irrelevant if the money has been taken from your account or not. While this is not a case of fraud, it doesn't mean the money is gone forever. Your bank can reverse the transaction (it's called a chargeback). This applies to credit and debit cards. The timeframe for you to file a dispute may vary depending on the card issuer (Visa, MC, AmEx) but it's normally around 120 days. There is a system in place to protect you from stuff like this - if there weren't, you'd see a rash of people getting empty envelopes.

What your bank will need:

Your order confirmation email, showing what was ordered, what was paid, etc
The pic you posted here, showing how the item arrived
Details of your attempt to resolve with merchant. When you contacted them, what they said, who you talked to, etc. Save any emails from them regarding this. The more you have to support your case, the better off you'll be.

In the end, the merchant loses on this deal because the transaction will be reversed and they will have lost the product, the money, and possibly a customer. At the same time, it's on them to pack and ship in such a way that it's reasonable to assume it would make it to wherever it's going. In this case, your stuff was stuck in an envelope rather than using a box (that is free) and this whole mess could have been avoided

Looking at their reputation, I really don't think you'll have a problem. I'd be willing to bet that they will make this right. Wait to hear what they're willing to do, then file a claim with your bank if need be

molli

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
Dubuque, Iowa
Slightly different rant here. My package is STILL NOT here. I could have driven the couple hours to IL to pick it up in person. Instead I've been waiting a WEEK and it's still in 'transit'. Was shipped on Monday from Chicago, is now in Des Moines, IA which is half way across the state from me, in the WRONG direction! If I'm lucky I will get it sometime NEXT week, hopefully BEFORE I run out.....hate the postal service. Although our local mail man is awesome. The stuff I get from California is here in Two days, and it's clear across the country.....Semi-local takes over a week?

Sweller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2011
St. louis
Got a reply from volcano and its not looking good

We have contacted the USPS regarding this issue. The case was closed do to there was no insurance on the package. We have escilated the issue to see if the Item that was lost can be found at the sorting warehouse. If the USPS is not able to find the Item we would not be able to reship/replace it, unfortunatly, because there was no insureance on the Item. This can be found in our shipping policy here: Volcano Fine Electronic Cigarette Shipping, Warranty, and Returns. Again we are sorry taht USPS lost the Item.
-
Mahalo
James

Bubba

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2010
North Carolina
I paid priority, shipped 8 days ago (small vape mail) and it hasn't moved from the original place yet. Estimated delivery date still shows Feb 11th, today's the 15th.

USPS was good at one point... I miss those days :(

The problem with the USPS is that they are ill equipped to track and deliver packages on time on any large scale. The can manage the overnight mail, but the 2-3 day is rarely on time.

Decades ago, the USPS figured out that their vehicles could hold xx parcels or xxxxxxxx letters. So they chose to go with letters. It worked for a while, and also gave rise to UPS, FedEx, etc. At the time, the USPS laughed at them, watching them buy planes, trucks, etc just to deliver packages. USPS piggybacks on most domestic flights, so they didn't need to buy a fleet of planes to move their letters around.

Fast forward to today. Letters are all but gone, and USPS is playing catch up to UPS and FedEx. While USPS was worrying with letters, these other guys were perfecting package tracking and delivery on a worldwide scale. Now what you have is a former gubbment agency trying desperately to figure out how to move these packages when all their outdated equipment and systems are predicated around letters.

I hope they get it figured out, and soon. The folks at my local PO are friendly and helpful, and my mailman (who's a woman) is the bomb.

I think this business of cutting out Saturday delivery may be a good start, but they still intend on delivering some stuff, and having the post office open. To me, it seems half-hearted. Seems like they'll be 4/5ths open, just no letters.

Just my .10

thxone

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2013
Concord, NC
I packaged an eGo kit up for my buddy that I bought him. I used packing peanuts, sleeved the kit in bubble wrap, secured it within a cardboard sleeve and taped it then packed it all in a box. I took pics. I ask my buddy to send me pics when it got there. Mind you the box said "fragile" "Contains liquid" "this side up" "do not crush" when it got there it looked like it had been dropped on the corner of something hard. There was a crush indention on one of the sides. USPS jerks. All was well though because I planned ahead and OVER packaged it. Probably could have dropped it off a 3 story building and it could have survived.

acaldit

Dec 25, 2012
Long Beach, California
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Not Appropriate

Sweller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2011
St. louis
I hope to god this doesn't happen to anyone else but it can and most likely will again. However my anger is now switching to volcano. I think packaging is key and think the situation could have been avoided had it been packaged better. I happen to deal in the classies here and when I package something I make it almost bulletproof. I would at least like to keep an update of my situation just in case this happens to anyone else. I think I am going to call my bank Tomorow and see if anything can be done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sweller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2011
St. louis
I also want to add I think that insurance just does not make sense to me. If you buy insurance and its delivered fine your out money. If you don't buy insurance and they lose it your out money. I could understand if it was something like a computer yes but I've had numerous things including 2 provari's delivered to me without insurance. So the price point of the lavatube was kindof in the middle for me in this case. I know some people will disagree but just my opinion.

darkhood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2012
PA
Can someone tell me if these problems with USPS are new developments? If so, could you tell me when the worst problems started?

they've gotten much worse in the past few months imo. they're losing $25 billion a year and climbing and all they're doing is jacking up their rates (international shipping was raised 60% a couple weeks ago) and cutting back on employees...everything is taking a week+ to get to me nowadays whereas 6 months to a year ago it was more like 2-3 days tops. i've had packages shipped from the next state over take 5+ days to get to me...it's a little ridiculous at this point.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
I'm in Arizona and in October last year it took three days to get stuff from Michigan, 2 days from Washington State but 6 to 8 days from California... go figure. In December it started taking 5 to 6 days from Michigan. The priority rate I paid didn't change but the service sure did. It was so new to me that I wrote the vendor in Michigan thinking it was them but, nope, its USPS and has continued be a problem in Michigan and tracking proved it. Once they pick it up it sits 30 miles from the vendor's store for three days... so transit time hasn't changed... just, I guess, employees in distribution. That's the problem in California too from what I can see... but, oddly, not Washington State.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread