Vanilla strength/steep time

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZenCloud79

Feb 12, 2018
I have been experimenting with some vanilla custard and Madagascar vanilla. Im trying to figure out if im adding too much or not letting it steep long enough. The vanilla is tasting really potent and not very creamy, almost sharp. Is it better to add more and let the flavor tone down over time by letting it steep lid off, or just add smaller amounts? Ive been using a magnetic stirrer that I heat myself with a cooking pan that im quite mesmerized with for mixing.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Trying to make a StrawberryMangoCream
70vg/30pg 6mg nic 50ml
Mango 3%
Strawberry 4%
Vanilla custard 6%
Marshmallow 1%
Whipped cream 1%
Sweet cream 1%
Bavarian cream 2%
Butter cream 2%

Fruit tastes a bit strong, and trying to bring a more creamy taste
The fruit will be in the forefront as a fresh recipe. The creams haven't developed yet.

Looking at the recipe, if anything, I would say you have too much cream. You have 7% fruit, 12% creams, and 1% other. And with all those various creams; I am not sure you can even notice the marshmallow.

As a very general rule; I try to keep supporting flavors total percentage, to 1/2 the percentage of my primary (focal) flavor. Right now it looks like you are going to get a very muddled cream base, with a suggestion of fruit, if/when it fully matures.

Another good DIY rule of thumb: Less is often more! This includes both lower percentages; as well as fewer ingredients.

It would help to know what specific ingredients you are using before we can offer any real suggestions. Be sure to include correct, complete, names and manufacturers for each ingredient.

ZenCloud79

Feb 12, 2018
Thanks for sharing the wisdom, will save me a lot of experimenting, and wasted juice, much appreciated. Ive changed the main fruits to my two favorites, here is the simplified recipe based on suggestions.
70vg/30pg 10mg nic
(nude nicotine 48mg 70vg/30pg base)
Raspberry natural (Flavor West) 6%
Pineapple natural (Flavor West) 3%
Vanilla Custard (Flavor West) 3.5%
Sweet Cream (Flavor West) 2%
Sweetener (Flavor West) 1.5%

(Question about maturing, are speed steeped creams and custards using high heat and electronic mixers a lot different to steeping over time just sitting?)

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Thanks for sharing the wisdom, will save me a lot of experimenting, and wasted juice, much appreciated.
Glad to try and help. That is what ECF is all about!:) It has been other kind folks here, that have helped me along my own DIY journey, and I try to show my respect and appreciation for their efforts by passing it along.

I understand not wanting to waste ingredients; it costs money, and just about the time you get a recipe figured out... you run out of material. This is why I mix small test batches until I get a recipe close. Then, when it is in the ballpark and just needing some fine tuning, I will start increasing batch size.

As for experimenting; it does consume time, but in my mind, it is still the best way to understand how you can best use a given ingredient. Yes; single flavor testing often is not very exciting (compared to multi-flavored mixes, but you can learn so much... that is, if you want to learn.

Successful experimenting, for me, is 80% wanting to understand what a particular ingredient is going to add to a recipe, and 20% doing the actual mixing and test vaping (tasting). If I am in a hurry, i resent the need to do it, I rush halfass my way through the process, and I learn almost nothing. And; that only frustrates me further!:facepalm:

But, when my calendar is clear, and I allow myself to go through the process, without expectations (i.e. "this better be vapeable; dang it!"); then I can learn a great deal. What percentages i like it best at; what the main flavor, and maybe accent notes it has within it; and what power/temperature and airflow settings it works best at (NOTES are really great for remembering all this by the way;)). That way, when I use it in a multi-ingredient recipe, I am not saying "where did that nutmeg taste come from?". I know it came from my FW-Vanilla Custard.

Another important reason for personal experimenting: the equipment you are vaping that e-liquid on has a lot of influence on the resulting taste. Power/temperature has influence. airflow has influence (both by diluting the vapor; as well as cooling the coil). Even size and shape of the atomizer dome/cap has influence. And that doesn't even touch on all the influence coil material and construction can impart.

So, I can say I like recipe xyz, and you mix it up, and think it is the most revolting thing you ever came across. What i didn't tell you is I am using it in a 8 year-old clearomizer, with a 1.8 ohm coil, and vaping it at 5 watts. You just tried to vape it on you 1 week-old, state-of-the-art, ultra-uber-quad-parallel-twisted-stapled&fused 317L stainless steel coils @0.012 ohms, dripper, vaping at 160 watts.

Of course it is going to taste different; I am tasting with a 1976 VW Beattle, and you are tasting with a 2019 Rolls Royce. The only way you are going to know how any given concentrate is going to taste to you; is by tasting it... in the hardware you expect to be vaping it in. (this is also a good reason for not using a bunch of different hardware setups when experimenting. Use something tried and true.;))
Ive changed the main fruits to my two favorites, here is the simplified recipe based on suggestions.
70vg/30pg 10mg nic
(nude nicotine 48mg 70vg/30pg base)
Raspberry natural (Flavor West) 6%
Pineapple natural (Flavor West) 3%
Vanilla Custard (Flavor West) 3.5%
Sweet Cream (Flavor West) 2%
Sweetener (Flavor West) 1.5%
Looks better. Still looks over-flavored to me, but I do not use any of those specific flavor/mfg. concentrate (I'm not a big FW fan... but that is just me), and it does "look" more reasonable to me.

Now you have 9% fruit, 5.5% custard/cream, with 1.5% sweetener. As is, and with no personal experience with these specific concentrates...; I would guess that you would end up with a fairly dominant custard, that has strong raspberry in the background. The pineapple may or may not get overwhelmed. Sweetener may be reasonable depending on how sweet you like your vapes (@ 1.5% this would be pretty sweet for my palate).

Now, saying all that, this does not mean this recipe can't work for you. Some people like, even need, strong flavors. If you have just recently quit smoking (or still smoke on occasion); if you consume lots of strong foods and beverages... then your taste buds may be rather dulled, and stronger flavors could be just the ticket. Again... this is where testing concentrates individually can help a lot.

(Question about maturing, are speed steeped creams and custards using high heat and electronic mixers a lot different to steeping over time just sitting?)
I have not had any positive results trying to hurry the process; so I am not a good candidate for this question. I have done some short-lived experiments with heat (various methods), and an ultrasonic cleaner, and did not find them helpful.

Various mixing methods (hand shaking, power shaking, power stirring) are all just that; a means to combine ingredients. I have tried a bunch of variations of all of these and found none had an advantage over the others. Pick the one that is most convenient for you.

Time is still my only friend (for aging/maturing a mix)... except for Lemon... time hates my lemon mixes (but that is a different story).:D

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Fruit tastes a bit strong, and trying to bring a more creamy taste
Dang it! that was the other thing I wanted to mention.

Always keep in mind, when one part of a recipe is too strong, it is often more productive to lower the percentage of the offending concentrate, instead of raising the percentage of all the others. This can help keep a recipe from becoming over-flavored.:)

ZenCloud79

Feb 12, 2018
When experimenting I love getting that wow moment when something tastes amazing haha. I think maybe my taste buds are still recovering from 20+ years of cigs, its only been about a month off them. On the flavor bottles it says 15-20 for ejuice use, seems like 10-14% is better? I do have a crazy sweet tooth but I have noticed that sweetener does mask some of the natural tasting flavors when mixed. I thought I could cut corners and use super heat steeping to not have to wait to try these custards/creams so I would put the batch in a jar on a magnetic stir, in a bowl of newly boiled water, let is spin for 20min. After seeing a site where they sped up the millard reaction. But I had this gnawing feeling I was damaging the juice. The last one I did yesterday using this process tastes flat and muted. So I am not going to do the heating anymore and just use the mixer to stir up the fresh mix then cap it and let it sit for the steeping. I have enough juice to tie me over while waiting. Patience hasn't been my best virtue so this has been a learning experience for me. Based on further feedback I'm going to give this mix a shot today and let it sit for a week, will report back how it tastes. As for my vapemod I am using a wismec gen 3 300w, with a crown3 tank and .5 atty. It usually stays around 55-65w half open vent. Here is the revised recipe
Raspberry Pineapple Custard
Raspberry natural (Flavor West) 4%
Pineapple natural (Flavor West) 3.5%
Vanilla Custard (Flavor West) 2%
Sweet Cream (Flavor West) 1.75%

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
That looks better. Im not real familiar with FW versions but it seams reasonable. Be careful with the sweet cream as it can become really nasty at certain percentages. I get almost a sour milk taste from it at to high a percentage. I might start at 1% and bump the VC up or use the whipped cream to help out the creamy notes.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It's really important to not overflavor because too much flavoring, especially once steeped, can just degenerate into a mess.

It's also important to know your flavors and steep time. I won't taste a mix early on because some flavors develop more quickly than others, and it can be too easy to just wind up with way too much of the slower flavor to develop, most fruits, berries, and citruses can be tasted immediately while creams and custards take time. If you taste before a reasonable steep time, you may only be tasting half your mix, and then the tendency is to overflavor longer steep time "notes" so you end up with way too much cream and not enough berries.

This is why I started using ALL my flavors singly first, and seeing how they changed over time. I also would combine in my tank, rather than necessarily a mix. It wasn't as accurate as just mixing and waiting for all mixes, but it did give me a sense of what might go with what, and how long it takes for flavors to "change" and so when I started creating my own recipes (I also tasted a lot of commercial juices and read a ton of recipes) I really knew what to expect from each flavor but at least had a "vague" sense of what would combine well. I've made some fantastic flavors, and I did it all without following recipes. The more I create my own, well, the more skillful I get.

It is very rare for me to flavor over 8-9%. Storebought flavor tastes overflavored too me now. The good news (for me) is I am exposing myself to less risk, I understand my "profiles" and how they mix, and can usually (fairly) confidently work with new flavors and base my mixes from what I learned by starting slow. Having some commercial e-liquid around too mix into my "single" flavors was useful too, as I could tolerate the "steeping wait." I prefer to let time do my steeping, simply because I don't need to rush to "taste" my mixes, I'm kind of on a schedule.

This is why flavoring is both "easy" and "difficult" but keeping to core principles and knowing what individual flavors did, and when, was really helpful for me, and I'm able to generalize from those principles.

My number one rule though is to forget about my mixes (other than shaking them periodically) and I don't even taste for at least 1--2 weeks. At least then, I have some idea of what I'm dealing with if any amending is necessary. It usually isn't, but it took me time and patience to get there. I think patience, plus a major desire to understand the "whys" of steeping is extremely useful. Kind of like cooking, only with chemicals. You wouldn't eat raw meat or eggs that sat out for a day, right? Same thing with flavors, amending without steeping is just asking for mud, just like eating rare chicken is asking for salmonella. Etc.

Best of luck you're getting good advice, which is great. You will be a flavoring genius.... given some time and experimentation.... :)

Anna

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I agree with most of what Anna is saying:
  • Patience is paramount. (Its tough; I know!)
  • Single flavor mixing is underrated and beneficial. It is not as "exciting" as creating a complex mix. But, the information/feedback is more precise (as you know the ingredient causing the effect), and the information is often available faster (I know I like my lemon best when fresh; I'm not waiting for a lemon/custard to mature for a month... and then wondering why I can't taste any lemon).
  • Combining single-flavor mixes can be good "ballpark" technique for fast feedback. (Though I question the thoroughness/useful results of in-tank combining... I just can't seem to get a good enough shake. Combining in a separate container, and then vaping, seems to be more informative/useful to me.)
  • Having a good supply, of vapeable e-liquid on hand, takes the urgency out of experimenting and learning.
Where I differ with Anna (and many other DIYers); is in tasting fresh/young mixes. I am not "right;" and they are not "wrong." I just like to know/understand how my creations are developing... especially with ingredients I am unfamiliar with.

The important thing, as Anna said, is not to give into the temptation to make adjustments during the maturing process. Allowing enough time for a recipe to fully develop is critical to understanding what, if any, adjustments are required.

I also agree with you @ZenCloud79; that heat is often counterproductive. What many DIYers don't think about is; the more aromatic a concentrate is, the more volatile components it often contains. Volatile simply means more susceptible to dissipating at room temperatures. Aromatics often contribute greatly to the overall perception to taste. (Think how food loses its appeal when you have a stuffy nose.)

So, as heat is added, to lower viscosity and "cook off" unwanted volatiles (like alcohol); one is also accelerating potential flavor loss... especially in an open container.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread