Vapcell Gold 30A 3100mAh 20700 Testing Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    A quick recap: It appears that Vapcell is now wrapping a lower current rated cell, estimated in the 20A-25A range.

What I am doing now: I have received four cells I ordered from Liion Wholesale and four more I ordered from Illumn are on the way. I have also received two from Eciggity (arranged by Vapcell) and four more are being sent by Economy Ecigs Distro, the ones who sent me the first set of lower rated cells.

No cells are being sent directly from Vapcell. No cell will be accepted without the clear outer heat shrink added when they were initially wrapped. I am confident that none of the cells I am testing have been “cherry picked” but, if true, it is easily confirmed by comparing their performance to the others. If any company ever tries crap like that there will be hell to pay.

I am making this retesting a priority.

I will be doing physical examinations and AC and DC internal resistance, capacity, and discharge testing of these fourteen cells to try to figure out what the hell is going on.

This is going to take a lot of work so my response time to the questions I get every day will get longer. Please, be patient.

As soon as I have more information I will post it.

Please do not send me pictures asking me what version of this cell you have. Compare your cells to the pictures I have posted. If you are not sure, assume they are rated 20A.

986AFB2D-66BE-4E1F-8242-7D18A63C0CC5.jpeg

This and another recent incident, to be posted about soon, have pushed me far enough. I’m not happy about the abuse I am taking from every angle just because these companies are using exaggerated ratings, inconsistent performing cells (they often don’t even know about), switching cells, or using lower grade Samsung, Sony, etc., cells whenever they want.

New ratings methods for China manufactured cells are being created. If companies want to use these cells, fine. But the ratings will reflect the actual inconsistency of their performance. I imagine lots of people will be ...... off with the new ratings but this is the hand we have been dealt by these companies. More info about this in a week or two.

Dammit...

Violetti Usva

ECF Veteran
    Dec 1, 2017
    What do you mean by abuse you are receiving? Surely people can't be blaming you for the inconsistency of certain battery manufacturers? If it were me I'd just be labeling these as inadequate/do not purchase due to the inconsistency rather than testing so many and showing how to identify which type you have. Really shows your dedication to the community. Keep up the good work Mooch, can't thank you enough.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    What do you mean by abuse you are receiving? Surely people can't be blaming you for the inconsistency of certain battery manufacturers? If it were me I'd just be labeling these as inadequate/do not purchase due to the inconsistency rather than testing so many and showing how to identify which type you have. Really shows your dedication to the community. Keep up the good work Mooch, can't thank you enough.

Lots of people don’t want them tested, lots want each tested much more often, lots want them rated a different way...etc., ad nauseum.

Violetti Usva

ECF Veteran
    Dec 1, 2017
    Lots of people don’t want them tested, lots want each tested much more often, lots want them rated a different way...etc., ad nauseum.

I hope you know that the vast majority of us are incredibly happy with what you are doing and hope that you continue doing whatever level of testing you are willing to do! :)

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    When someone gives you gold, you don't complain about the shape of the ingots. Meh.

Derek Cross

ECF Veteran
    May 16, 2015
    Ad nauseum is right. This is getting just very time consuming I can imagine.

I was watching your latest "Minding Your Mechs" video, watching how tedious it was for you and started feeling a deep deep level of empathy and gratitude.

I get sick of reading all the "Mooch gushing" posts, and then I post one myself. I'm a hypocrite lmao!

I really do look forward to all the data you provide to the community my man, and now after seeing how meticulously you work your craft (via your new YouTube channel) I really have a deeper level of respect for all of it.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Ad nauseum is right. This is getting just very time consuming I can imagine.

I was watching your latest "Minding Your Mechs" video, watching how tedious it was for you and started feeling a deep deep level of empathy and gratitude.

I get sick of reading all the "Mooch gushing" posts, and then I post one myself. I'm a hypocrite lmao!

I really do look forward to all the data you provide to the community my man, and now after seeing how meticulously you work your craft (via your new YouTube channel) I really have a deeper level of respect for all of it.

Thank you!

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Although you are indeed a battery WRANGLER extraordinare, I have NO CLUE why anyone would be upset with YOU about factory changes and etc.

I don't quite get AT ALL how you'd be able to stand over each and every factory going "now don't change the chemistry now."

They should be getting mad at the VENDORS and MANUFACTURERS, not you. Unless they have some sort of specified, "Let's get Mooch to give us a great rating and then move to crap!" thing going on, which at times I am not ENTIRELY sure I'd be SURPRISED.

Kinda why I like the big three, consistency and etc.

But, keep up the good work and don't let complainers let you down. I AM A FULLY 100% AUTHENTICATED and VERIFIED complainer as a matter of fact, and even *I* do not understand why you'd be getting complaints better directed to a boycott of said batteries.

I'd be happy to complain more about THAT but only so much time in a day and etc. :)

Thanks for your hard work.

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    New ratings methods for China manufactured cells are being created. If companies want to use these cells, fine. But the ratings will reflect the actual inconsistency of their performance. I imagine lots of people will be ...... off with the new ratings but this is the hand we have been dealt by these companies.
    I've often wondered WHY knowledgeable vapers would purchase batteries "made" by a Chinese rewrap company? Why not simply purchase an LG, Samsung, or Sony battery from a trusted supplier and remove the guess work? There's no excuse not to.

We all know the rewrappers can change the cell they use at any point. Why gamble on the most important piece of gear we use for vaping?

EDIT: I guess my above statements don't apply to any batteries that are not an 18650, as LG, Samsung, and Sony don't make batteries larger or smaller than 18650. That's one of the reasons I only use battery devices that use 18650's.

56430166.jpg

Last edited:

Robin Becker

ECF Veteran
    Feb 3, 2018
    Berlin
    I've often wondered WHY knowledgeable vapers would purchase batteries "made" by a Chinese rewrap company? Why not simply purchase an LG, Samsung, or Sony battery from a trusted supplier and remove the guess work? There's no excuse not to.

I think the main reason can be, that in some countries (at least in the EU we have some directives) you are not allowed to sell to consumers industrial products?!

In one of the forums in Germany I read, that in France and Italy there were already cases, where the authorities just confiscated in shops (not online) batteries, just because they didn´t have any important product details like polarity, Capacity, Voltage and recycle bin.

• Agree
    Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Well yes there are certain unfortunate circumstances where you can only get them in a vape shop or something, but those who can buy direct should be buying direct, and also for some of the newer cells there is NOT that consistency, but I'd probably take ONE smaller cell (at least some vape products that will take the newer cells have and adaptor and at the moment with the 207-- series batteries it CAN be hard to know what you've got. But, I'm a MTL vaper so it's kind of easier for me to say that.

As to folks repeatedly buying from vape shops, well they must be trusting those vape shops. And, I do trust vape shops to an extent but not to THAT extent and etc and everything else.

But yes, even in my mech I'd rather have the capacity I KNOW I have and replace batteries more frequently than buy a 207-- battery right now. I mean, before it was funds, but at the moment I'm like, just happy I know what I have. I can work with facts, I can less work with vague nebulous ideas of capacity especially if it's a (protected) mech even, I mean NO thanks. Etc.

Anna

• Agree
    Reactions: Robin Becker

dripster

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2017
    Belgium
    Although you are indeed a battery WRANGLER extraordinare, I have NO CLUE why anyone would be upset with YOU about factory changes and etc.

I don't quite get AT ALL how you'd be able to stand over each and every factory going "now don't change the chemistry now."

They should be getting mad at the VENDORS and MANUFACTURERS, not you. Unless they have some sort of specified, "Let's get Mooch to give us a great rating and then move to crap!" thing going on, which at times I am not ENTIRELY sure I'd be SURPRISED.

Kinda why I like the big three, consistency and etc.

But, keep up the good work and don't let complainers let you down. I AM A FULLY 100% AUTHENTICATED and VERIFIED complainer as a matter of fact, and even *I* do not understand why you'd be getting complaints better directed to a boycott of said batteries.

I'd be happy to complain more about THAT but only so much time in a day and etc. :)

Thanks for your hard work.

Anna
    Even if you ARE able to stand over each and every factory going "now don't change the chemistry now." it STILL would be no use. That's just because they NEVER change the chemistry now, but instead they always do it yesterday. :rickroll:

best-of-troll-meme-citation-citations-pinterest.jpg

Robin Becker

ECF Veteran
    Feb 3, 2018
    Berlin
    I use Samsung 40T 21700 batteries most of the time, so I can verify 100% Samsung does make batteries larger than 18650s.
    I think he just forgot to mention those 21700 :D Samsung SDI manufactures also hundreds of different prismatic cells (the ones we find mostly in mobile phones for example)

Reactions: stols001
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread