Vape/Analog Friendly Airports

Status
Not open for further replies.

CZEdwards

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2009
Republic of Boulder
Just completed a round trip from Denver to Chicago (flew into ORD, out of MDW). I had no problems with my liquids, batteries or chargers going through security; in fact, I forgot to pull my 1 quart bag from my laptop bag and it passed right through security. No hassles or queries at all. (This was surprising, since I was flying one-way tickets and I previously had a spurious tag on my file that made me a Super Secret Security Search target -- I got searched 6 times on one particularly horrid flight a couple years back.*)

My suitcase was searched coming back from MDW, but I think that was because a bottle of hair-product leaked and stained the canvas. (Nothing missing this time, unlike aprevious time when some young punk ended up with a free pair of classic Doc Martens...)

I had a long wait at MDW and not only vaped in the Illinois Bar and Grill (at the foodcourt) and at my gate, but topped off my cartridges. Nobody gave me a second glance.

Both Frontier and US Airways were great about the PV -- no hassles.

This may be a difference -- I refuse to treat my PV as something shameful. I will stop if someone requests I do so; I will explain if questioned, but I don't "hide my vapor" or hold my breath or blow it into my clothes. Funny enough, people seem to take their cues from my behavior -- as long as I don't look guilty, I'm obviously doing nothing wrong.

*No, I don't know why. I have a good credit record, a pristine criminal record -- no speeding tickets, even -- education, an Anglosphere name, a responsible job, a security clearance... I am a staunch liberal, a Quaker, and a vocal critic of the previous administration, but so are millions of others.

As far as I am aware, Atlanta has a smoking lounge on every concourse, not just the international one.

De Gaulle is perfectly loathesome on all counts, not just the fact that passengers cannot smoke anywhere outside, even though they are taunted by huge piles of butts left by employees. That is also the airport that falls on people and kills them--just best to avoid it at all costs.

Amman, Jordan, is a wonderful airport for smokers (particularly those who five hours earlier were at De Gaulle). Not only do they have rooms to smoke in, but also the guards will tell you just to light up where you are. They know a nicotine fit when they see one;).

Didn't find a place to smoke in the Cozumel airport except outside.

Haven't tried vaping in any of these, though. At De Gualle, they would probably threaten you with security...

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
Atlanta has a smoking room (C13 I think) on C concourse. D doesn't. After I found this out, I always stayed on C to the very last minute if I had to go to D. The last few years I got to stay on C for my connecting flight, so that might have changed for D.

Atlanta is also VERY anti ecig. I went up to explain what I was going to do and was told flatly NO. Then I was told to go to the smoking area.
I was even told I couldn't go to the restroom.
I did and no one was the wiser.

At Bloomington airport, smokers have to go outside, but after showing them the ecig, they had no problem with me staying inside. That was back in April so that might have changed.
I just plan on going to the restroom a lot. I recommend the handicapped stall.

Last edited:

lashmn

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2009
SW FL (Naples)
Glad to hear that Southwest is vaper friendly. I have a trip next month from Ft. Myers, FL to Philadelphia, PA. Neither of those airports have designated smoking areas inside. Philly used to have a couple of bars where you could smoke with the purchse of a drink but that went the way of the dinosaur. Ft. Myers is brand new and has never allowed smoking, although there are a few ashtrays outside.

Lynn

Sheryl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2009
Minn., USA
I used the VK while sitting in the airport and on the plane, I flew Air Tran. I had it in a lanyard in view the entire time. I haven't mastered getting enough "smoke" from these yet unless I'm using the PT, so no one could tell what I was doing. I also carried 2 bottles of nic liquid in my purse and nothing was said. I tried to be as discreet a possible. Flight was from Mpls to Fl and then on the way back Fl to Milwaukee, then Mpls.

Reactions: birdy68

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
Bloomington Illinois had no objections to vaping last March. Atlanta and Raleigh was a whole different attitude.
And I didn’t want to go to the smoking area. Just to make myself clear, I have no problems with smokers. In fact I still have friends that still do and I hang with them a lot.
My problem is with smoking rooms at airports. You don't have to light up---just walk in and breathe. Then there is the overpowering smell.
Both of these things defeated my purpose. I didn’t want to arrive at my daughter’s smelling like an ashtray and breathing in that amount of smoke at one time was like smoking a pack a day.
Their narrow minded attitude sent me to the restroom a lot. That was too bad because those places are busy and I’d take a book, and sit and read. The thing is the seat cover isn’t that much harder than those hard plastic seats they provide.

Reactions: birdy68

telsie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2009
Maryland
Atlanta has a smoking room (C13 I think) on C concourse. D doesn't. After I found this out, I always stayed on C to the very last minute if I had to go to D. The last few years I got to stay on C for my connecting flight, so that might have changed for D.

Atlanta is also VERY anti ecig. I went up to explain what I was going to do and was told flatly NO. Then I was told to go to the smoking area.
I was even told I couldn't go to the restroom.
I did and no one was the wiser.

I went through Atlanta in August and was in concourse D. There's no smoking lounge there, but there is a bar you can smoke in if you buy a drink. Funny how many smokers were congregated in there (myself included) with a $2 soda in their hands :D

Now that I'm vaping instead of smoking, though, I'd simply pop into the restroom to get my nic fix.

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
I used the VK while sitting in the airport and on the plane, I flew Air Tran. I had it in a lanyard in view the entire time. I haven't mastered getting enough "smoke" from these yet unless I'm using the PT, so no one could tell what I was doing. I also carried 2 bottles of nic liquid in my purse and nothing was said. I tried to be as discreet a possible. Flight was from Mpls to Fl and then on the way back Fl to Milwaukee, then Mpls.

I recently flew to and from Thailand, puffing discreetly the whole time. I used a Margarita flavor Vapor King in my lanyard, which I found to be high flavor, but low vapor. Worked for subtle vaping. Plus I popped into the lavatory every couple hours and took a few power drags from a Janty Stick and/or a Puresmoker Protoge. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread