Status
Not open for further replies.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Just watched a news video... "vape pen charger explosion"
Vape pen charger explosion causes thousands of dollars worth of damage to California woman's home
The lady was charging a vape pen and the charger "explodes" causing a nearby paint can to shoot up into the ceiling. The fire dept guy says "those lithium ion batteries..." and so on. Now wait just a minute! Technically, it wasn't a "vape charger" and they showed the vape pen looked fine. Pens don't come with a charger, just a USB cord, so it was just a universal USB charger (like for phones, ect) and the pen battery didn't explode. Also, why did she have a paint can sitting next to it? Did she leave the vape pen on (might not matter)? Was the USB cord damaged (short)? Pens use a LiPo battery not Lithium Ion. I know I'm nitpicking, but all people will really "hear" is vape pen explodes... nobody really thinks things out. Could this have happened anyway while charging a phone or something else? Right after watching this, I see an article in the local paper telling people to stop vaping immediately because of the recent events (and they don't mention ANYTHING about the real cause!) Final thought: there was also a water bottle next to where the charger was... maybe she spilled water on the charger? I'm like Peter Falk in the old TV show Columbo... "but what got me thinking was..." Maybe I overthink things, but at least I do think (and ask questions)

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Case of poor terminology. USB power supplies, which are commonly referred to as a “charger” do not explode – they may burn out, catch fire, but they do not explode!

Vape devices have been known to cause thermal runaway of the cell while charging. Thermal runaway can be perceived as exploding. Pen or other designs, internal or removable batteries is irrelevant. Many factors can be the cause of this.

Cooperant

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2018
CA woman finds way out of long overdue bedroom clean-up, gets free makeover and face on television.

Insurance company will pay for damages but refuses to cover cleaning costs because victim was hanging on to flavored e-cigarette for underaged nephew.

Representative: "Rat droppings and garbage are not covered, even when smeared across walls by explosion"

Neighbour testifies "X is a slob. Ever since she started storing flavored juice for teenagers she just stopped looking after herself."

Editors note: The devastating story of vaping's impact will continue to have our undivided attention. Please keep following our click bait and we promise to have our reporters continue to make up true stories about fake brunettes.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Please keep following our click bait and we promise to have our reporters continue to make up true stories about fake brunettes

TBH – there is a lot of truth to this. The more we click on a story, regardless whether we agree with it or not, the more we support it. The internet does not work on people opinions. It is how many you draw in to view your opinion – ie: Click Bait.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
My money's on it being a SMOK with leftover Samsung 8 circuit protection.
(remember when celphones exploded? )

Note 7.

2.5 million units sold, ~30 reported incidents of an actual exploding cell phone. It did not blow planes out of the skies nor did it level cities in a fiery inferno. AND…it was 2 separate faults that were just coincidental to happen at the same time.

Last edited:

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
Oh come on folks clearly the poor victim here is deserving of our sympathy.

It's quite obvious what happened here; feral teenagers were holding her to ransom, got her addicted to vaping and forced her to store their supplies of flavoured juice laced with cannabis oil in paint tins to avoid detection.

Yes the house may be a bit sloppy - but how was it to get cleaned when this unfortunate had to spend so much time in the toilet due to suffering both Terminal Explosive Bowel Syndrome ( a recognised side effect of vaping ) as well as having to devote a large part of the day to scraping the rubber rapidly and constantly forming on her teeth?

As I say, a little sympathy might be in order here.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY

Yeah, but take a good look. Could be an 18650 rewrap.;)
dry shampoo bottle.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread