Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Texas governor prepares executive order setting guidelines to reopen businesses
Abbott held a press conference Friday to announce a forthcoming executive order that sets guidelines for how businesses can begin to reopen amid the coronavirus pandemic. “Next week, I will be providing an executive order talking about what will be done in Texas about reopening Texas businesses,” Abbott said Friday, saying economic activity can resume “in a way that will be safe for that economic revitalization.” “We will focus on protecting lives while restoring livelihoods. We can and we must do this,” said Abbott.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Regarding OP: I think of vape shops as non-essential business. Along with liquor stores and cigarettes. That being said, if a state does allow liquor stores to be opened, it makes very little sense to not allow vape shops then. I think we all agree on that.

Regarding the larger discussion: As long as grocery stores are open, all other points on what it allowed to be open is moot. I'm still not getting why we collectively seem to think congregating in droves in that building is okay (because food is essential) and everywhere else needs to be shut down as much as possible, or we could all get sick. Yes, all those other places are varying degrees of (non)essential. But if the essential place is where we are all congregating, or enough of us are for sure, then harsh shut down elsewhere just seems silly. If willing to take risk at grocery store, there's not too many other places where the risk is greatly increased. And the idea that outdoor places are part of harsh shut down, is just mind blowing. Especially when realizing grocery stores are open and very busy, all the time.

The primary problem with the vape shop owner is if he comes into contact with person that has virus, and owner is asymptomatic, but then infects others. That would be, um, bad. But is still equally bad if same thing happens at grocery store. That place that's inside, and lots of us all around. Having literally zero clue on who is infected and who is not.

Given everything I'm aware of with regards to the current pandemic, I find what the vape owner is doing is bold af, and IMO righteous as heck. I hope he (the good guys) win.

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    Texas governor prepares executive order setting guidelines to reopen businesses
    Abbott held a press conference Friday to announce a forthcoming executive order that sets guidelines for how businesses can begin to reopen amid the coronavirus pandemic. “Next week, I will be providing an executive order talking about what will be done in Texas about reopening Texas businesses,” Abbott said Friday, saying economic activity can resume “in a way that will be safe for that economic revitalization.” “We will focus on protecting lives while restoring livelihoods. We can and we must do this,” said Abbott.

I am a fan of Governor Abbott. He'll probably start on the rural counties and leave Dallas and Houston and such till later. I hope so, anyway. I don't see much need for this small town to stay shut down much longer. Probably won't happen until May 1.

dripster

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2017
    Belgium
    Regarding OP: I think of vape shops as non-essential business. Along with liquor stores and cigarettes. That being said, if a state does allow liquor stores to be opened, it makes very little sense to not allow vape shops then. I think we all agree on that.

Regarding the larger discussion: As long as grocery stores are open, all other points on what it allowed to be open is moot. I'm still not getting why we collectively seem to think congregating in droves in that building is okay (because food is essential) and everywhere else needs to be shut down as much as possible, or we could all get sick. Yes, all those other places are varying degrees of (non)essential. But if the essential place is where we are all congregating, or enough of us are for sure, then harsh shut down elsewhere just seems silly. If willing to take risk at grocery store, there's not too many other places where the risk is greatly increased. And the idea that outdoor places are part of harsh shut down, is just mind blowing. Especially when realizing grocery stores are open and very busy, all the time.

The primary problem with the vape shop owner is if he comes into contact with person that has virus, and owner is asymptomatic, but then infects others. That would be, um, bad. But is still equally bad if same thing happens at grocery store. That place that's inside, and lots of us all around. Having literally zero clue on who is infected and who is not.

Given everything I'm aware of with regards to the current pandemic, I find what the vape owner is doing is bold af, and IMO righteous as heck. I hope he (the good guys) win.
    About those grocery stores again. People aren't congregating in droves in that building here in Belgium, as, generally, Belgians seem to be very well aware of the simple fact doing so would effectively cause more dead people in addition to causing a probable overload of the intensive care department in hospitals, which, in turn, would cause more harm, not less, to our entire economic situation that also includes our future plans to restore, to transform, and to re-invest in, our economy once the epidemic weakens. We don't want to become another Italy. And we certainly don't want to become another New York. Sorry, Americans, but that's just how reality looks right now. The writing is on the wall, and has been on the wall with extreme visible clarity ever since Italy fell victim. Population density also plays a part. Expect many casualties to start piling up in major cities, at quasi exponential rates if you don't quickly get serious about how to tackle this severe crisis. In most places in the US there is still time. So don't waste time. Don't make the classical-old mistake of doing too little too late. The time has come for you guys to wake up. Do it for your own safety, for your loved ones. Do it for your economy also. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, in their right mind would go to work and do a proper job at whatever their job is if you can't guarantee people's safety. It doesn't take to be a genius to figure out what that means to the economy. That's it. Good luck, with love from Belgium.

Javichu

Account closed on request
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 8, 2020
    Spain
    About those grocery stores again. People aren't congregating in droves in that building here in Belgium, as, generally, Belgians seem to be very well aware of the simple fact doing so would effectively cause more dead people in addition to causing a probable overload of the intensive care department in hospitals, which, in turn, would cause more harm, not less, to our entire economic situation that also includes our future plans to restore, to transform, and to re-invest in, our economy once the epidemic weakens. We don't want to become another Italy. And we certainly don't want to become another New York. Sorry, Americans, but that's just how reality looks right now. The writing is on the wall, and has been on the wall with extreme visible clarity ever since Italy fell victim. Population density also plays a part. Expect many casualties to start piling up in major cities, at quasi exponential rates if you don't quickly get serious about how to tackle this severe crisis. In most places in the US there is still time. So don't waste time. Don't make the classical-old mistake of doing too little too late. The time has come for you guys to wake up. Do it for your own safety, for your loved ones. Do it for your economy also. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, in their right mind would go to work and do a proper job at whatever their job is if you can't guarantee people's safety. It doesn't take to be a genius to figure out what that means to the economy. That's it. Good luck, with love from Belgium.

Totally agree with what you wrote.
    Mistakes have been made everywhere,here in Spain as well,due to that a lot of people have died so some people need to be held accountable for their inability to act in a crisis situation and to make the smart decisions that need to be made.

Stay healthy,be safe bud.

p.s., sends mental 'agree' since ive been blocked of doing it the normal way ;)

AttyPops

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 8, 2010
    Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
    Population density also plays a part.
    It's things like social gatherings and mass transportation that are the main culprits. So it varies.

The thing is...essential workers have to transport. And that type of mass-transit exists pretty much exclusively in the "big cities". And it's also used disproportionately by minorities. We're seeing a lot of sociological disparity in the ethnic impact of this virus. Due to socioeconomic realities.

This virus brings out a lot of realities that most cultures don't want to think about. Be it preparedness and self sufficiency, dependence, or socioeconomic disparities.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I feel for the vape vendors, but vape shops aren't really essential to the public's survival in today's virus climate. Most vapers who thought ahead are stocked up for a period of time. There's always Amazon for PG and VG. Nic is also available mail order in most places. As long as USPS is still delivering most of us are in good shape through the quarantine.

Javichu

ECF Veteran
    Mar 8, 2020
    Spain
    I feel for the vape vendors, but vape shops aren't really essential to the public's survival in today's virus climate. Most vapers who thought ahead are stocked up for a period of time. There's always Amazon for PG and VG. Nic is also available mail order in most places. As long as USPS is still delivering most of us are in good shape through the quarantine.

While i do agree with you 100% but why are tobacco shops/Liquor stores considered necessities?
    Ok well here in Spain to be honest we dont have liquor stores perse,you can buy alcohol in every supermarket and even gas stations.
    Why are tobacco shops considered necessities and vape shops arent?

Had to quote Jman8 because he explained better what im thinking at the moment.
    In my case im not talking about the US but Spain,here tobacco shops have permission to stay open but vape shops dont? just doesnt make sense.
    Well i mean yeah it does,goverment needs that tax money they get off cigarettes,duh!!

Jman8

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 15, 2013
    Wisconsin
    About those grocery stores again. People aren't congregating in droves in that building here in Belgium, as, generally, Belgians seem to be very well aware of the simple fact doing so would effectively cause more dead people...

How do you get your food in Belgium? Before and during the pandemic.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    While i do agree with you 100% but why are tobacco shops/Liquor stores considered necessities?
    Ok well here in Spain to be honest we dont have liquor stores perse,you can buy alcohol in every supermarket and even gas stations.
    Why are tobacco shops considered necessities and vape shops arent?

Had to quote Jman8 because he explained better what im thinking at the moment.
    In my case im not talking about the US but Spain,here tobacco shops have permission to stay open but vape shops dont? just doesnt make sense.
    Well i mean yeah it does,goverment needs that tax money they get off cigarettes,duh!!

Tobacco and Vape shops are usually visited by 2 or 3 people at a time on the average, unlike Walmart and the Grocery stores. I have been in one vape shop in the last year and that was a new one I spotted when we shopped at a local city instead of our home town. I was just curious to see what they sold. I was their only customer at the time.

Mail order is a big market for vape stuff. I guess the government is assuming that those products are available by mail order delivery if the store is off limits for in store purchase.

• Agree
    Reactions: Opinionated

dripster

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2017
    Belgium
    It's things like social gatherings and mass transportation that are the main culprits. So it varies.

The thing is...essential workers have to transport. And that type of mass-transit exists pretty much exclusively in the "big cities". And it's also used disproportionately by minorities. We're seeing a lot of sociological disparity in the ethnic impact of this virus. Due to socioeconomic realities.

This virus brings out a lot of realities that most cultures don't want to think about. Be it preparedness and self sufficiency, dependence, or socioeconomic disparities.
    In the major cities, everything is more densely packed, also including fast-access mass-oriented infrastructures that are not just busy, but literally swarming the entire time, like, inside and out on so many different levels.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    My governor has shut our state down until June 10.. we are going to be broke and dying of starvation here while the DC government employed crowd is fat and happy..

they don't care about the economy here so long as they continue to rake in taxes and print money at will... (got nothing for the northern Virginia crowd.. )

I'm glad the vape shop owner is giving it his best though, if tobacco shops are essential business and they are grouping ENDS in with tobacco for tax purposes it's beyond ridiculous to force vape shops to close...

Last edited:

Javichu

ECF Veteran
    Mar 8, 2020
    Spain
    Tobacco and Vape shops are usually visited by 2 or 3 people at a time on the average, unlike Walmart and the Grocery stores. I have been in one vape shop in the last year and that was a new one I spotted when we shopped at a local city instead of our home town. I was just curious to see what they sold. I was their only customer at the time.

Mail order is a big market for vape stuff. I guess the government is assuming that those products are available by mail order delivery if the store is off limits for in store purchase.

here in Spain the tobacco shops also sell lottery,and i mean all types of lottery,quiniela (soccer related) ,primiva,euromillon,bonoloto and the list goes on and on.
    And yeah the goverment also get its filthy paws in that so its a 2 for 1 combo for them,keep tobacco shops open and they get taxes from lottery AND tobacco.
    Not sure about lottery but in times of stress people smoke more so this is the perfect time for them to stay open.
    Now because there is like a number of person limit in stores but before all this there could be perfectly 10 people at the same time in the tobacco shop.
    While i do agree that mail order is big when it comes to vape items(not only vape items,electronic stuff like tv,stereos,etc,etc) keep in mind that a lot of people still like to visit the shops,they like the personal touch.
    On friday afternoon our local vape shop would have atleast 12 to 15 people in the store,people wanted to see the new mods,atomizers or maybe try some new e-liquid flavours.

I guess it depends on the country some of us still enjoy the ritual of going to the store in person,it's like going to the video store back in the day and choosing a movie,same principle buddy.

cheers

*sending virtual ''like'' with my mind powers due to not being able to do it the normal way within the forums*

Jman8

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 15, 2013
    Wisconsin
    About those grocery stores again. People aren't congregating in droves in that building here in Belgium....

While waiting for the response I asked in reply to your post, I decided to google it. Here was an article that popped up and perhaps it's just me, but the picture on top of the article seems to show something other than what you're claiming.

• Agree
    Reactions: puffon

dripster

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2017
    Belgium
    How do you get your food in Belgium? Before and during the pandemic.
    Same as before, but with strict rules of social distancing being endorsed. Customers are allowed to remain inside a store for not more than half an hour, and, the total number of people that can be present inside also is capped so it can happen that you have to patiently wait your turn outside at the entrance so, immediately as soon as they see the cap is about to be reached, an employee has to guard the entrance to make sure the next person can't get in before another person has left. Also, the minimum distance between people is always 1.5 meters (~5 ft.), but standing still just to have a normal chitchat with people or to do whatever it is that isn't considered essential is forbidden. So is travelling a greater distance than really is necessary to go shopping for food or to visit a bookstore, to go to work, to visit a doctor or local pharmacy, etc. so everything that is still open must be kept local distance only, excepting if you can prove that you have a legit reason to travel farther. There's an official list of what this means, and there are hefty fines for failing to comply.

Jman8

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 15, 2013
    Wisconsin
    You allow shops to remain open if closing them would incite riots. Food is top of that list and alcohol and cigarettes are used by enough people to come under that proviso. Vaping does not.
    Simples.

So what you're saying is us vapers need to start rioting. I'm down for the cause.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread