Mar 8, 2018
Reactions: Jumpin' In...

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
If or when the plating flakes off, it won't be better. I do prefer bare SS.

Some reviewers have also said they don't like gold plating on the fasteners. Those are high wear and definitely the most likely spot to see problems. I don't like plating (or paint) on any part of a rba.
Poor adhesion with the gold plating can occur if not professionally done. What cheap stuff are you buying? Heck if it ever did, it could cause a short. Same is true for the 510 pin. And quite frankly, I've never personally had anything I had, ever have the gold plating flake off. If I did, I wouldn't buy their stuff ever again.

Reactions: stols001

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
Poor adhesion with the gold plating can occur if not professionally done. What cheap stuff are you buying? Heck if it ever did, it could cause a short. Same is true for the 510 pin. And quite frankly, I've never personally had anything I had, ever have the gold plating flake off. If I did, I wouldn't buy their stuff ever again.

I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion. It's fine with me that you like gold plating. I'm new to vaping but I see problems with plating often on very expensive equipment made in the USA, Switzerland, etc. My expectations for a RBA that can be sold for $16 (including shipping from China) is lower.

Based on my prior posts, it should be clear that I like the Galaxies RDTA a lot. I even bought a second one. My Prime clone isn't plated and I like it also.

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
Well I worked in the electronics field for decades and gold plating is often used. And in all of that time, I've never seen gold plating flake off. Maybe it happens with other things like jewelry and such, I dunno. :)

My experience is with using scientific and medical equipment. I don't wear jewelry. Haven't had any concerns with plating on consumer electronics. Go to any free weight gym and you'll see lots of plating that's in poor condition (decorative chrome, hard chrome, etc).

Last edited:

Jay DeKay

Mar 26, 2018
Germany
I definitely need a little testing and fine tuning with this. I started vaping rtas just 11 months ago, and so far my only rta was the kay prime. With that, i had to trim the tails a lot, so it didn't cut down the juice flow. Now with the galaxies, i might have exaggerated the trimming. It's gurgeling a little and it's also seeping a little through the air holes... I don't blame the galaxies for that, it's probably an user error.
Tastewise it is too early to judge, but the first impression is fine.

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
I definitely need a little testing and fine tuning with this. I started vaping rtas just 11 months ago, and so far my only rta was the kay prime. With that, i had to trim the tails a lot, so it didn't cut down the juice flow. Now with the galaxies, i might have exaggerated the trimming. It's gurgeling a little and it's also seeping a little through the air holes... I don't blame the galaxies for that, it's probably an user error.
Tastewise it is too early to judge, but the first impression is fine.

I trim the tails so they are just long enough to stay in their channels. I could leave them longer but it wicks fine with them short and it leaves more space to fill with e-liquid.

Has anyone tried authenticating your Galaxies RTDA?

My Galaxies RDTA just came in from FT. Tried my security code all ways I could think of - with Zeros and with capital “o”s, with and without dashes - and none would take.

There's a post over on FT forums about it. Some have suggested that Vapefly was slacking and didn't add all the codes to their database. One person checked later and the code worked after he notified them.

Here's a quote from FT:

"Please trust the Vapefly products we sale are 100% authentic, we get all these items from the original factory directly.

If you don't mind, you can send the Security Code and other information for us in ticket. We will forward to our manufacturer and help you solve as soon as possible.

Thank you for your understanding."

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
Did some searching and I think the o-ring on the deck is 18x1x16 mm. Fasttech sells 20 for 80 cents: $0.80 Silicone O-Ring Seals for Atomizer (20-Pack) 20-pack - 18mm*16mm*1.0mm(OD*ID*W) at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Not sure of the o-rings for the glass. They are flat. Seems to be around 20x1x18... but flat rather than round.

I tried a 18 (ID) x 1.5 (CS) x 21 (OD) o-ring and it seems like it could work. The o-ring is from my YFTK Prime. If you don't have the Prime, you could buy the o-rings separately. I filled it with water and it didn't leak. Haven't tested it any further.

The actual o-ring has a shape similar to the one in the photo below. I don't know where to get it. Hopefully Vapefly will make replacements available in the future. I haven't seen a spares kit for any of their products. But it seems like generic o-rings would work in a pinch.

o-ring-generic.jpg

Jay DeKay

Mar 26, 2018
Germany
A few more impressions of the galaxies:
First of all, it is a thirsty one. Very thirsty! But there where no more leaking incidents. Condensation became an annoying problem, so i exchanged included drip tip with a nautilus 2 one. That helped a lot. I also exchanged the build. Now it's just a simple round ss316l 28 gauge wire, 9 wraps, id of 2.5mm. I think the taste is much better now. I realy like this little atty!:thumbs:

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
Decided to test my Galaxies as a tank on an Evic V2 Mini running in TC mode. Used 26 ga. SS 316L, 8 wraps, 2.5 mm I.D., which came in at about .57 ohm.

This thing vapes a treat at 400-420°F. Only thing is that the top cap gets really hot, really quickly - like in 3 restricted lung hits - and it gobbles eliquid like crazy. For me, it’s probably better on a squonker.

Think I’ll try 28 ga. next and see how it does. Might try Vandy Vape SS 316L Superfine wire eventually too (works great in an SXK Le Concorde), but I suspect that might be overkill given the even more restricted draw of the Galaxies.

I’m so far more impressed with the Galaxies than I am with the SXK Haku Venna, which arrived in the same FT order.

flavourchaser

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2018
A few more impressions of the galaxies:
First of all, it is a thirsty one. Very thirsty! But there where no more leaking incidents. Condensation became an annoying problem, so i exchanged included drip tip with a nautilus 2 one. That helped a lot. I also exchanged the build. Now it's just a simple round ss316l 28 gauge wire, 9 wraps, id of 2.5mm. I think the taste is much better now. I realy like this little atty!:thumbs:
Nice! I use round wire as well Stainless Steel 316L with Temperature Control. Vaping on it now, it's really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread