Status
Not open for further replies.

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
I use a MacBook Pro with Chrome. I am totally in love with Chrome. I use Picasa Web Albums, and I love how awesome everything integrates with my Samsung Droid Charge.

I had started out with an iPhone when they first came out on AT&T. It didn't work well in my Chicago home! I got four different replacements at the Apple store, and finally gave up. I started with an HTC G1 Android phone at T-Mobile and loved it. When Verizon came out with the iPhone, I tried it again. Even with CDMA it dropped calls in my house. Forget that! On to the Android. I got a Samsung Droid Charge. It's a year old already, and runs Gingerbread.

I use Google Contacts, Gmail, and Google Calendar and Picasa on my phone. Everything syncs beautifully. I'm thinking of going with the new Galaxy when I get my next phone.

And of course, I want the Nexus 7.

What is your favorite app? I love Astrid Tasks lately.

The only thing that ticks me off is that last year Google charged me $12 a year for extra data, now they want $4 a month :(

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
We started talking about this stuff on Eric's Discount Vapers thread. Thanks, Eric for letting us do this! Here's the discussion so far:

The Hill Giant:
On a completely unrelated note, how are you enjoying your Nexus 7? I'm 99% sure I'm going to get one.

Sandybeach:
You got one?!!! I entered a contest to win one, and my entry was so much better than the one that won fooey on them. Which one did you get? Do you like it?

LordDavon:
I know you didn't ask me, but I am liking mine. I got the 16gb version, to upgrade from my Kindle Fire. I am still getting used to it, but the graphics are awesome, screen is nice and bright, and it is very light. Not sure if it may be too small yet.

Lord Davon:
Tapatalk is much better than the ECF application. I am not digging this. I am switching over. I am sure you had the best entry. It was fixed!!! :)

The Hill Giant:
Yeah I'm a bit of an android geek. I've got a Galaxy Nexus, too, but I have an iPad that I got heavily discounted through my employer. I'm so sick of it (the limitations of iOS make me crazy) that I'm probably going to sell it and get a Nexus 7. I've heard nothing but good things so far.

xxpiccxx:
I'm thoroughly enjoying it! I'm a daily android user and absolute tech lover. I've had many an iphone ,Samsung device even bought 2 touchpads during the fire sale. Quite honestly nothing touches the 7! Smooth responsive in every way and doesn't miss a beat in terms of running everything I throw at it. My epic touch gets put down for the night when I get home. Haven't rooted it yet(basically little reason to and no actual Roms I wanna run) but that's coming soon.
I bought 2 for me and my girl. She's loves it but is not a tinkerer like me. My macbook pro and phone are dead to me when this is in my HAND.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Sandybeach:
Will you marry me? HAHAHA. Seriously, though, I don't like the Tapatalk notifier for Chrome. I use Chrome on Mac for everything, Picasa too. It costs $ for my Android so I didn't download it. I like the ECF mobile site as well as the ECF app.
The Hill Giant: Sounds like we have a lot in common. Looks like I'll be picking one up. I did the same thing with my galaxy nexus. Waited to root until AOKP had enough cool features to make it worth switching from stock.

Lord Davon:
Don't apologize. Many of us are geeks, and in love with e-cig technology. So, why not have a tablet discussion. I have a Samsung Galaxy SII phone, an iPad 2012, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 Plus, Nexus 7 16GB, and JXD S7100. I love them all, but I really have been drooling over the ASUS Transformer TF700. There is something about popping that bugger on the keyboard, that I just love. But, I am trying to buy a house, so the Nexus 7 was purchased to try and satisfy my apetite, without killing my budget. I am not sure it is working though, because I want the ASUS more now! Lenovo came out with a tablet with a dock too, but it uses the dual core S4, and if I get a tablet THAT expensive, I want a quad core. The quad S4 is really impressive, but it's not in any tablets right now, so I am going to have to settle with the Tegra 3. Anyway, I don't know why, but the speech recognition thing hates me. I can get it to set an alarm, and tell me the weather, but I can't get it to do anything else except for web searches.

Lord Davon:
I would marry you, but you are too good for me. I need to marry beneath myself, so she will stay. Tapatalk is a pretty good app. The notifier sucks, but the app works really well on Android. It seems to handle images, and emoticons better, as well as showing me what's new.

Lord Davon:
Oh, since we are on the discussion... what does everyone think about the Galaxy SIII? I've been looking at it, but wondering if I should wait for the fall, and see what comes out then. I'm with Sprint, so I am hoping they get the Galaxy Note 2, or something comparable.

xxpiccxx:
I've bricked my epic touch as recently as last night. Between sprint and samsung not releasing ICS let alone jelly bean I've had a ton of roms to test. All fail when it comes to battery so once again I'm sadly back to gingerbread. I bricked it trying to take a short cut installing unofficial aokp actually. Luckily me and odin are really good friends now so just a few hours wasted.
I felt the same way. Installing amazon app store gave me free money which paid for Tapatalk which i use for multiple awesome forums like this one. Or you can gasp just google a "free" apk but i firmly believe in paying for apks so I'm just saying.
Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

The Hill Giant:
Don't wait. My buddy had an HTC One X which he loved, but the S3 came out while he was still in his 30 day window and according to him it blows the HTC out of the water. Another iPhone user successfully converted from the dark side

The Hill Giant:
This one of the reasons I'm never buying anything but a nexus device from now on. I had a stable Jellybean ROM before the 4.1.1 source code even dropped from Google.

xxpiccxx:
Sprint had teaser images of the note on its website months ago but still doesnt actually have the device. Sad imo as its the best samsung device not counting the s3.. I don't know really it's a matter of if sprint can really come thru and make up for its wimax catastrophe with LTE. Depends on how much it spreads to actually take advantage of the s3 and its speed. Personally after the cluster ...... that is the epic touch and it's lack of ICS love 9 months after announcement I'll never buy another Samsung device. Hoping the next nexus isn't Samsung made.

xxpiccxx:
Which is why i bought my girl a nexus7. She's only all iphone because i was for 3 years slowly i made her buy me a revue when i hated my apple tv but funny enough once apple tv was jail broken and running plex it was superior.

Lord Davon:
ICS is out for the Epic 4G Touch. I'm running it on mine. Since mine was rooted, I did have to download it from XDA, but it was pretty easy to install.

Lord Davon:
It was a long wait, but ICS came out about 2 weeks ago. Samsung was a little late to the game themselves, so I blame both Sprint and Samsung. It's one of the reasons why I didn't run out and get the SIII yet. I did have it in my hand about 5 times already, and each time I just kept looking at how heavily modified it was. It's only going to make the delay worse.

xxpiccxx:
I as well as 3 other friends using it have yet to receive the update and the manual way to install was done but its piss poor IMO. The device is too buggy and battery has gone to hell. Blazer ROM is the only ROM I'll run and even phantom blazer which is just ff18 ICS isn't worth my issues. Oh and thanks to sprint I seem to roam everywhere and i freaking live in NYC... so not happy with them.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

kalebK07:
Im an android geek myself! I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus (Still waiting for my ICS update ) and on Wednesday I am switching to Verizon and I am 99% sure I am gonna get the Samsung Galaxy S3. Do you like your Nexus?

KalebK07:
re: how is the Galaxy SIII - I will let you know how it is on Wednesday!

valcityboy:
LD, I've had the S3 on VZ since it came out. I know locked bootloader, but otb the thing is pretty epic. I am currently rooted running a detoxed ICS rom, but when I was running CM10 on it, it was just not ready for a daily driver. Too many things not compatible. The lock down doesn't bother me to an extent (I hate VZ for this) but the phone is the best smartphone I've had to date. My history is a bit limited to Win CE up to 6.5 then I switched to the original Droid, then the Thunderbolt, and now the S3, but it's a work horse. If you wait til Q4 I'm sure there'll be something even more epic to come out, so you have to bite when you actually want something. Will it be outdated in 6 months, yes, but that's why I rotate the phones on my account. I have 4 phones and they all expire 6 months of each other. So about every 6 months, if there's a phone that catches my attention, I jump on it and if I don't like, 6 months later I pass of to the wife or the kids. They always think it's the hotness as all of my phones never run stock, so to each their own...my $0.02

The Hill Giant:
I love it. I'd never buy anything but a Nexus device from now on. I loved my Incredible, but being on the cutting edge with the firmware is just awesome.

Lord Davon:
My first PDA Phone was PocketPC 2003, I think. I've had one ever since. I went Android with 2.0, so I missed the 1.6 issues. I had the Palm Pre (which was a decent OS)... I have the 32GB Touchpad, that I forgot to list earlier. I have had many Android phones. 3 were Samsung, and a few HTC also. HTC was always a good phone, until my last one (EVO 3D). The EVO was garbage. But, their latest is a pretty nice little phone, as is the Galaxy SIII. I am just not sure if the newer phones are enough of an upgrade, for me to take the plunge. I've always upgraded every 6 months, but I've been trying to cut back to every year. I keep thinking that if I just wait another month, I could probably gain about 6 months of upgrade time.

kalebk07:
So you would take the Nexus over the S3?

The Hill Giant:
I personally would, yes. It depends on how you use your device, though. Out of the box, the S3 is going to be superior. I don't care about out of the box, though. I want a device that will be easy to unlock, and will have software support directly from Google so I can be on the bleeding edge of technology. For tinkerers, the Nexus devices will always be the best. My experience with Android has been that the firmware makes a much bigger difference in performance than the hardware, and having a Nexus ensures that you'll always have the newest firmware before any other device. If you're not interested in flashing custom ROMs/Kernels, then the S3 will definitely be a superior device.

Sandybeach:
Sorry, Eric. We should start a thread just for Android. The speech recognition on my Samsung Droid Charge is amazing. Under settings, voice input and output, voice recognition settings there is a checkbox for personalized recognition. Checking that box made all the difference in the world. Speech recognition on my MacBook Pro with Chrome sucks the big one. I'm going to start a thread so we can get the hella hijacking outta Eric's thread. I've had Macs since the early 90's and I am ready to go Chrome all the way as soon as the bugs are out and they get something like Applecare!

Last edited:

MrPicC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2012
Lone Star State
And wow that must of taken a while!!! Thanks i wanted to continue the conversation but absolutely didn't wanna piss Eric off.
Last night i noticed cm10 alpha or beta or unofficial for epic touch. So weary of installing another rom again right now.
At the moment I'm carrying around 5(2 extended, and 3 standard) batteries a day with me. I consider myself a bit of a out of control power user who is always always on his phone. Usually blast thru 2 or 3 a day and keep spares just in case

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
You're welcome!

I've gotten Verizon to send me five extra batteries now - I was having a problem with the replacement charger they sent me; it kept frying my batteries. I got Verizon to pay for this desktop cradle charger now, it's sweet! You can hook speakers up to it and it has a little speaker of its own http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Verizon-SCH-i510-Desktop-ECR-D994BEGSTA/dp/B004WOBMIE

Do you all root your phones? I'm afraid of bricking, plus I like to be able to send it back to Verizon. I'm on my third Droid Charge now, all replacements.

Last edited:

MrPicC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2012
Lone Star State
I've been an android user since September, before that i was either on iphones(first gen and 3rd) and blackberry 8310(which will always hold a special place in my heart for most phones smashed). All my iphones and apple tv have been jailbroken because cydia always had better customization or really just any at all since apple is so locked down. My epic touch was rooted the moment it wad available as was my revue since it didn't have a proper version of android.
Nothing to worry about honestly as I've always fixxed every issue I've had from bad installs.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I was all set to upgrade to the Droid Razr once they changed the data plan and allowed sharing, but the $99 price is gone and I'm sitting on my hands. My HTC Eris is two years old now and it burps and crashes frequently in the browser. It's stuck at Android 2.1 and can't do any higher.

I use wireless so much that my total data usage is somewhere around 150mb and under. The $50 data price for one gig is probably way more than I'll use. I'd like to get 500mb for about $25 or so.

Should a smartphone cost more than a land line? I have trouble with the pricing. I know that they are subsidizing a phone in the contract, but I don't see a reduced price for buying the phone and just paying for the plan. If it's there, they don't publicize it.

MrPicC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2012
Lone Star State
Isnt 4gigs not the standard though? Isn't the standard only 2 gigs and the 4 gig plan was a promotion? On sprint myself unlimited and use something like 5 to 8 gigs a month.
The cheap data plans to me are a freaking joke. Should of stayed at the 15 dollar price point for 250mb but they had to go and screw the consumer once again.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Hey Dave, So happy to see you here :)
Which provider do you use? And which providers can you switch to if needed?

I use Verizon by the way - 4 GB for $30 but there are much better deals out there.

I'm a Verizon customer. The new family share plan is $50 for 1 gig, $60 for 2 gig, and up with shared data. We had AT&T before but the signal at home was so weak that we had to walk out in the yard and stand in one place to talk. Verizon is much better at home and light years better all over most of the state.

Last edited:

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
I'm a Verizon customer. The new family share plan is $50 for 1 gig, $60 for 2 gig, and up.

I looked at that plan, it looked like a rip off to me. T-Mobile works great here in Chicago, not sure about Georgia. They have some killer deals, at least they did last time I used them.

The Hill Giant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2012
Providence
Hah when I'm home i now make phone calls and send texts with my nexus7. Sprint can't mess with my fios wifi.

Google Voice for the win!

I'm luckily still grandfathered in on unlimited data. Next new phone I'll have to pay full price to keep it though :(

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I looked at that plan, it looked like a rip off to me. T-Mobile works great here in Chicago, not sure about Georgia. They have some killer deals, at least they did last time I used them.

Actually, the plan will be about the same as I've been paying for my wife and I with smartphones and we include my mother's standard cell in the plan. 700 minutes with unlimited $30 data on mine and a $9.95 data plan for my wife, who doesn't use it at all. Going to the new family plan, we will pay about the same, but get 1 or 2 gigs data along with unlimited text and talk. I just want a cheaper data charge since I don't use data unless I can't get wireless router access.

I want the Razr or Razr Maxx, but there are no deals out there right now. I'll sit in it month to month until they offer what I want. A cell phone is just a utility device to me. We text a few times a day and talk very little. They make big bucks on us for these plans.

There are deals out there, but I've looked at coverage for everybody. AT&T is the only one that comes close to Verizon and around here, AT&T is notorious for dropped calls. Verizon GA is solid red on coverage with a white dot here and there. There are few places where you can go and be out of touch in an automobile and not that many where a hiker would lose signal on high ground. Those are generally at the bottom of a hill when everywhere else is 2 bars or more. My average reception is 3-4 3G bars most everywhere.

I just checked my data usage for June. 24 out of 31 days into the month, I've used 77 megs. Where there's wireless access to an open router, I'm on it. That's on an old unlimited 3G data plan. I just started a long time ago using wireless routers wherever I could just to see how little data I could consume and still get what I needed.

1G will be more than enough for me.

Last edited:

KalebK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2012
Spokane, WA
Yay, this is awesome!!! Thanks for starting this thread Sandy!!! I am happy to report that I am getting the Samsung Galaxy S3 on Amazon just as soon as I can figure out how to add it to my cart. It keeps saying there is an error in my info or something. Anyways, its $150 on Amazon vs. $200 @ Verizon! If u purchase a phone on Amazon thru Verizon from yesterday to Friday, you get $40 credit on your bill, which will take care of my activation fee. Yay!!! Plus 2 day free shipping!!! Woot. Now if I can just decide whether I want Pebble Blue or White! Lol. On a side note,, my freakin Galaxy Tab 7.0 plus still doesnt have ICS!!! Any suggestions?

Last edited:

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
Actually, the plan will be about the same as I've been paying for my wife and I with smartphones and we include my mother's standard cell in the plan. 700 minutes with unlimited $30 data on mine and a $9.95 data plan for my wife, who doesn't use it at all. Going to the new family plan, we will pay about the same, but get 1 or 2 gigs data along with unlimited text and talk. I just want a cheaper data charge since I don't use data unless I can't get wireless router access.

I want the Razr or Razr Maxx, but there are no deals out there right now. I'll sit in it month to month until they offer what I want. A cell phone is just a utility device to me. We text a few times a day and talk very little. They make big bucks on us for these plans.

There are deals out there, but I've looked at coverage for everybody. AT&T is the only one that comes close to Verizon and around here, AT&T is notorious for dropped calls. Verizon GA is solid red on coverage with a white dot here and there. There are few places where you can go and be out of touch in an automobile and not that many where a hiker would lose signal on high ground. Those are generally at the bottom of a hill when everywhere else is 2 bars or more. My average reception is 3-4 3G bars most everywhere.

I just checked my data usage for June. 24 out of 31 days into the month, I've used 77 megs. Where there's wireless access to an open router, I'm on it. That's on an old unlimited 3G data plan. I just started a long time ago using wireless routers wherever I could just to see how little data I could consume and still get what I needed.

1G will be more than enough for me.

I'd just keep the unlimited data plan then buy an almost new CDMA phone elsewhere for $50, like on Craigslist. 3G is not that much different than 4G on my Droid Charge. They're both great.

sandybeach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
kaleb, I bought my Droid Charge on Amazon too - when it first came out I think I paid $99 on Amazon vs. $199 at Verizon. Verizon takes care of all the servicing. I bought the $1.99 a month insurance thing, not sure if it's worth it or not, because if I trash my phone, I'll probably do something stupid like drown it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread