Status
Not open for further replies.

elmattias

Resident Miyagi
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
N'awlinz
I can see tablets becoming huge in the portable market with Windows 8 incorporating touch screen technology into the OS. I even prefer my Kindle Fire over my Nexus phone for the 7 inch screen size when I surf the net.

totally agree there...loving the huge screen real estate on the tablet...plus saves my phone battery.

sent from my Optimus Prime using Tapatalk Infinity

KalebK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2012
Spokane, WA
totally agree there...loving the huge screen real estate on the tablet...plus saves my phone battery.

I didn't like my Nexus 10 when I got it because I came from the 7 inch Galaxy Tab and I thought the N10 was too big. I love it now and I still carry the Galaxy Tab with me as its more portable than the N10 but now the Galaxy Tab feels too small! Haha

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

I saw one commercial for a laptop that could fold backwards and turn into a tablet with a touch screen. Tech is becoming cool in the portable market.

elmattias

Resident Miyagi
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
N'awlinz
I saw one commercial for a laptop that could fold backwards and turn into a tablet with a touch screen. Tech is becoming cool in the portable market.

i tried one of these out and HATED it.

the issue is that the keyboard is exposed when the lapy is folded back, which potentially could damage keys....that's a huge (quote: HUGE!) no bueno for me.

now on the other hand, the ones that the screen itself flips around and COVERS the keyboard, those are extremely nice, and wouldn't mind owning one myself, but it's going to be awhile since my current laptop is only about a year old and still kicking.

matador

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2011
Colorado
I just got a new conputer fir Christmas and its Windows 8 and its a non-touch screen, I absolutely hate this OS!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

I agree.. touchscreen or not, windows 8 is horrible. I think the goal of windows 8 was to have one OS that could be on a phone or tablet or desktop. The problem for me is that I use all those devices very differently. It makes for a horrible user experience no matter what win8 is installed on. Its difinitely a big fail for microsoft.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I don't know what goes through Microsoft's collective engineering mind these days. It looks like Windows 8 will be another Vista until the real deal comes out later (think Vista followed by Win 7). The concept of swiping and touching to select is good, but it needs to be seamless.

You'd think that computer OS engineering would know by now what people want and need. It must be tough to innovate in a maturing OS market. I wonder when Google will finally develop OS software for the PC market. Wouldn't it be a hoot if Google could step in an release a winner? They definitely have the resources to be a player against Apple and Microsoft.

Coming soon ... Android for your laptop. (prediction)

elmattias

Resident Miyagi
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
N'awlinz
I don't know what goes through Microsoft's collective engineering mind these days. It looks like Windows 8 will be another Vista until the real deal comes out later (think Vista followed by Win 7). The concept of swiping and touching to select is good, but it needs to be seamless.

You'd think that computer OS engineering would know by now what people want and need. It must be tough to innovate in a maturing OS market. I wonder when Google will finally develop OS software for the PC market. Wouldn't it be a hoot if Google could step in an release a winner? They definitely have the resources to be a player against Apple and Microsoft.

Coming soon ... Android for your laptop. (prediction)

well in a technical sense they already have a PC OS....the issue is that chrome OS is mainly cloud based, and almost useless when not connected to the internet....

when they streamline chrome OS though, it can be a killer....especially if it adds some real functionality when offline, it boots up in about 5 seconds, it's super lightweight, and doesn't use any hard memory

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
well in a technical sense they already have a PC OS....the issue is that chrome OS is mainly cloud based, and almost useless when not connected to the internet....

when they streamline chrome OS though, it can be a killer....especially if it adds some real functionality when offline, it boots up in about 5 seconds, it's super lightweight, and doesn't use any hard memory

I'd like to see more selectable options in operating systems. Instead of the huge image that loads and eats memory, I'd want to start with a basic OS that simply asks you when you attempt to do something new.

"<module name> is needed to perform this function. Do you want to load this permanently or just once?".

Android does this. Sometimes, having every version of PDF reader isn't really necessary if you don't use it but once a year, for instance. A TinyOS version of Win 7 wouldn't be a bad thing. Eventually, you would load everything you normally need and the prompts would stop, except for those things you do once a year.

Linux is more like that than the offerings from MS.

elmattias

Resident Miyagi
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
N'awlinz
I'd like to see more selectable options in operating systems. Instead of the huge image that loads and eats memory, I'd want to start with a basic OS that simply asks you when you attempt to do something new.

"<module name> is needed to perform this function. Do you want to load this permanently or just once?".

Android does this. Sometimes, having every version of PDF reader isn't really necessary if you don't use it but once a year, for instance. A TinyOS version of Win 7 wouldn't be a bad thing. Eventually, you would load everything you normally need and the prompts would stop, except for those things you do once a year.

Linux is more like that than the offerings from MS.

before you mentioned it, i was thinking you were describing ubuntu perfectly XD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread