Vaping?? A trigger for recovering addicts??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
HyOnLyph - You bring up a really good point that reminds me of a saying the originator of which I can't remember, but they are wiser than me.

"Trying to avoid failure is not the same as aiming for success, and it's not very effective, either."

It's kind of like how it's hard to drive in a straight line if you're looking at something off to one side, just like you said.

Similarly, it's hard to reach success if you're focusing on avoiding failure. Your life tends to move in the direction you're looking.

The anxiety over relapse and facing triggers, while totally understandable, can be as much of an enemy as the addiction itself.

Apart from cigarettes and coffee, I haven't dealt with drug addiction. But I have dealt with other things that result in triggers. Learning to stop being afraid of facing triggers took me years. But, I didn't have a lot of help through that process.

Perhaps the issue of e-cigs reminding people of drug devices points out something very important about the process of drug recovery. Addressing it not only makes people more successful and more likely to continue recovering, but may also enable them to try vaping to help them kick the cig habit, something which is almost unthinkable to most people recovering from other types of drugs. In a lot of cases, cigs are their lifeline through that process, and for that reason even harder to give up. A lot of people who counsel and treat drugs addicts tell them to keep smoking in recovery, because it really helps with anxiety and depression, and quitting would make the recovery process that much harder.

Maybe e-cigs with a unique design, like an eGo or a Riva or even a box mod, would be helpful to re-associate someone who is struggling with the similarity to a drug device? That design is unique to e-cigs. Simple box mods are also pretty unique, and cheap to buy or make. Perhaps form factor plays a part in helping someone re-associate.

Last edited:

Raynen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2010
CT
gamingraynen.blogspot.com
Unfortunately some things just trigger recovering addicts. The best solution is to comfort them, and let them vape at their own pace. If they honestly don't feel comfortable doing it, pushing them is not at all the solution.

Let them know you're there to help, and to guide them, and I hope all goes well.

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
I can only speak from my own experiences as a recovering addict myself. I've been clean for over 17 years and I still face triggers. Some are worse than others, but I've learned how to deal with each and every one effectively by making one choice and only one choice; not to use. There are some situations that I know I need to avoid, like being around people who are actively using, but that isn't the only thing that ever set off a trigger. Realistically, I know that I can't avoid every single thing that might make me want to use. It wouldn't work out very well if I quit my job just because I had a bad day and that made me want to use. Even after all this time being clean I still need to make the conscious decision not to use every day. I've had to learn to face the things in my life both good and bad, and deal with them instead of trying to avoid them.

I'm not saying that the ladies in your home should keep vaping. If they're uncomfortable, then they should stop. However, there will come a point when they'll have to come face-to-face with the world at large and learn to deal with whatever comes their way. Hopefully, they will also be able to make the decision not to use no matter what happens or how they feel. It's not always an easy thing to do, especially in the first stages of recovery.

tybin

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
WA
i am in recovery but not for m*th or any cr*ck....so, not sure if my 2 cents would really help. I do not vape any flavors that have a flavor that is a mimic of alcohol---ex: rum and coke. It has been years for me but why go down that road. The mind is a powerful thing when it comes to associations. Perhaps it would lessen triggers if they used low nick, standard attys and no cartos.

Last edited:

HyOnLyph

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Thanks again everyone. Just to clarify something.. we don't mandate that anyone vape. We don't restrict cigarettes. They do have to smoke outside. But other than that, there are no restrictions on smoking vs vaping etc. It is strictly voluntary and absolutely no pressure is put on them... (other than my enthusiasm for the possibility that vaping could be an alternative for them which I am very careful to control.) :banana:

pseudus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2010
Winston-Salem, NC
www.pseudus.com
Wow, what an awesome thread. I thought there was a way to have a private, "invite-only" group. I will PM AngusATAT again and ask if something like that can be set up, otherwise I can and just might setup another forum. I really would like it to be here though, as this thread is evidence of a decent sized group of us in recovery. I went through my own anxiety, and even wanted to start a thread like this when I started, but didn't want to break the rules. Vaping like everything else in my recovery, was done slowly, deliberately and with the support and discussion of my "support group".

I will get back to you guys on the forum idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread