Status
Not open for further replies.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
What do you do with your spare time which would qualify as an addiction that you'd like to compare with your nicotine habit ?.

Absolutely nothing.

When I quit smoking I could hardly stand to be around people who were smoking around me, the addiction to cigarettes for me was so strong I would literally shake for want of a cigarette, and that was WITH a vape in my hand.

In time I got better, but at first I was in living hell trying to get through the desire for a cigarette.

There is nothing else in my life that I almost couldn't stop even though it was destructive to my person.

Coffee? I can stop tommorow and never have another cup for the rest of my life (I've spent more of my life without coffee than with it, and periodically go long periods of time without drinking it) without concern.

I took oxycontin for over 10 years and quit taking it without so much as tapering off when I decided I didn't want to take it anymore. I just quit without looking back, and that was WITH physical pain due to disability. I just decided I needed to deal without it.

I love photography and art but physical disability has prevented me and I don't get the shakes or feel like I'm going to die if I never pick up a camera again, although I do sometimes miss it.

I enjoy cleaning my house and love love love baking, but physical disability prevents me often these days, and I am more disappointed in being inactive than feel like I can't live without it, but I also chalk these things up to quality of life and do often wonder what good life is without quality of life... but that's not because I can't do these things I enjoy perse...

So in short, no... I've never had anything I was addicted to outside of cigarettes, unless you want to consider having a life worth living an addiction, but I don't think that is - who wants to be bedfast for the rest of their life anyway? I don't believe just enjoying life and the things in it to be an addiction myself, it's perfectly human.

Last edited:

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I was wondering when dripster would turn up

iOIMZ71.gif

Reactions: evan le'garde

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think nicotine will go sit in your Acetylcholine receptors if I recall right. This causes more receptors to sprout and the die off is what makes you want to chew through steel. They're gone within 2 weeks so what you do at that point is up to you, I think.

I don't recall EVER feeling significantly better after two weeks, and even longer during some quits, my most intensely tragic moments were when my cravings were GONE. I missed my craving to smoke, because it's the perfect thing and the worst, when it comes to the psychological part which can be sort of dealt with. I believe ONE of Chantix's effects is to go sit in those receptors and to a lesser extent, Wellbutrin, which can also aid in smoking cessation.

The psychological part is harder and this is where vaping comes in. I genuinely believe I could probably quit vaping and well, move forward to a space where, like, neither smoked nor vaped.

IDK which I'd return to first, honestly, but one or the other.

You can have receptors die off and have an "Empty" space in your brain, to a certain extent. Changing habits is very hard and when you are dealing with a physical and PERMANENT brain change, well, guess what? That change is very hard to "make" go away. I have heard COMMITED smokers who quit say they had severe and persistent cravings even then, when they had not been smoking for a LONG time.

So I guess I would say, well if I wasn't a nicotine "addict" I don't think I'd have as many liters as I DO in my freezer, they aren't REALLY expensive but nor are they super cheap.

Etc.

Anna

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I can relate to empty spaces in the brain. I read a biography of Lyndon Johnson who had been off cigarettes for more that thirty years and he said there were times when he still craved a cigarette powerfully.

I think nicotine will go sit in your Acetylcholine receptors if I recall right. This causes more receptors to sprout and the die off is what makes you want to chew through steel. They're gone within 2 weeks so what you do at that point is up to you, I think.

I don't recall EVER feeling significantly better after two weeks, and even longer during some quits, my most intensely tragic moments were when my cravings were GONE. I missed my craving to smoke, because it's the perfect thing and the worst, when it comes to the psychological part which can be sort of dealt with. I believe ONE of Chantix's effects is to go sit in those receptors and to a lesser extent, Wellbutrin, which can also aid in smoking cessation.

The psychological part is harder and this is where vaping comes in. I genuinely believe I could probably quit vaping and well, move forward to a space where, like, neither smoked nor vaped.

IDK which I'd return to first, honestly, but one or the other.

You can have receptors die off and have an "Empty" space in your brain, to a certain extent. Changing habits is very hard and when you are dealing with a physical and PERMANENT brain change, well, guess what? That change is very hard to "make" go away. I have heard COMMITED smokers who quit say they had severe and persistent cravings even then, when they had not been smoking for a LONG time.

So I guess I would say, well if I wasn't a nicotine "addict" I don't think I'd have as many liters as I DO in my freezer, they aren't REALLY expensive but nor are they super cheap.

Etc.

Anna

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    I can relate to empty spaces in the brain. I read a biography of Lyndon Johnson who had been off cigarettes for more that thirty years and he said there were times when he still craved a cigarette powerfully.
    I worked with a fellow for 5 years. On my 1st day when I met him, he told me had quit smoking for 10 years and still craved cigarettes daily.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I think vaping is a viable replacement, honestly. I used to say I was a stress smoker and I would never "Really" quit, but that seems to be going away. I will say for me, substitution is a viable deal, when I quit caffeine I like always drank decaf and was like "who cares." When my diet pepsi addiction has to be addressed you can for sure bet I will switch to the (healthier unsweetened, maybe healthier) sparkling water, and not regret it either. If you think I'd t try to go for lovely plain water, you'd be crazy.

So substitution tends to work for me. I think it's why it works for a lot of vapers. I SURE craved cigs in the beginning but no longer really do.

My dad, who smoked in his youth, and has had a heart attack still states it is (and was) the hardest thing EVER. He used to travel on planes and think (this was back when you could smoke on them) "How would I feel if the plane went down and I HAD not smoked, etc.) He relapsed with the alcoholic new wife, and quit a couple of times. He STILL complained of wanting to smoke so much sometimes, only the hell of knowing he would have to quit, like, stopped him.

I think some smokers are like that, and some very much aren't. I am though sometimes the only thing which got me through the pregnancy was like, imagining ahead to the age I could safely smoke, i.e in the nursing home or something. I knew I wouldn't LAST that long, but eh.

Anna

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    I worked with a fellow for 5 years. On my 1st day when I met him, he told me had quit smoking for 10 years and still craved cigarettes daily.

My father used to tell me a story when I first started smoking, trying to persuade me not to do it. He worked with a guy who had quit for over ten years. All that time he had carried around his last pack of cigs, half full. He used to take it out to show people and tell them about how he quit. One night in the pub after work he stuck one in his mouth and grabbed a box of matches and lit it up. It was so old and dry it just burst into flames. Then he walked straight over to the bar and bought a pack and started smoking like he had never stopped.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2018
    safe distance from a black hole
    My wife quit about 21yrs ago. She didnt want to quit but she did, she discovered she was pregnant.
    She still has pangs and cravings for a cigarette every once in a while.
    Its all manageable and she wouldnt have one but occasionally the idea of one just comes out of nowhere.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread