Vaping does not work for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Israfil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
Las Vegas, NV (in a small cloud)
As pure said, a mod box with a built in juice bottle would be best for you, but the quicker (easier to get ahold of) way for you to be sure of the vape would be to try out cartomizers.

I believe I know exactly the problem, and it happened to me a lot early on too. The most likely scenario is that your atomizer is flooded. First try blowing it out into a paper towel. If you get a TON of juice out of it you can be sure that was the problem. If nothing comes out try hooking it up (without a cartridge) and pressing the button. Look in the top to see if it's taking a very long time to heat up. If its heating up almost immediately and there's no vapor coming out then it's too dry.

That delicate balance between wet and dry is why I and a few others have suggested you try cartomizers. There is no balance, they just work. Depending on how much you vape, if you carry two, you will probably be able to vape all day. I'd suggest the 510 cartomizers because you already seem to have the hardware to support em. ^_^

Try not to give up, and if you need help don't hesitate to ask us! We're here to support each-other after all!

RedKnight

Aug 19, 2009
Atlanta GA
If I can add...

I've thought about this a lot over the intervening months.

I can buy a $2 quart size jar of glass cleaner, which appears to have a perfectly fine non-thermal atomizer.

Why isn't there such a thing for nicotine delivery devices?

Asthmatic inhalers devices are in theory incredibly cheap. Could be combined with some cheap gas tubes. Such tubes could be refilled with air from your home with a pump. And you snap an eliq cart into the inhaler.

Isn't there such a device for ecigs? With asthma medicine inhalers, there are no thermal atomizers that die in a week, and need every-so-careful refilling of liquid just-right for them to use.

I don't understand why ecigs are such damned PITAs. Surely some engineer has realized heat is stupid and fickle, subject to all manner of micro-environment and crud build-up; a simple air blast is the way to go... why perfect a wrong approach?

Eh. Anyway.

Again, thanks for listening to me rant.

Something that will last a week without being fiddled with, would be cool. I'll look into the idea of an automatic juice feeding box. Or maybe a cartomizer.

But here's another problem with ecigs. Folks throw out terms and it's as if, every street corner has "an automatic juice feeder box" or a "cartomizer". But when you look into it, you find that all kinds of vendors have all kinds of variants. Then after much study you find everybody's selling variations on a few things. Then you find none of them are exactly what you want, except the really cool site, which has a long back order.

Some people regard ecigs as entirely healthy. It's true they entirely remove the "public smoke annoyance factor", which can be huge these days for some (but not everyone). I personally think it's true they remove the elevated risk of lung cancer. But it can't be true that they remove the risk of elevated heart disease, because... well, it's nicotine.
RK

Last edited:
I don't know I use the silver bullet with 510 cartomizers. I fill up 3 in the morning takes me about 5 minutes. I don't have to touch my juice anymore for the rest of the day. If I'm at home and just chillin I drip I like the vapor from that more than the cartomizers. I don't know it works for me and I did spend a little bit of money to end up with this set up. Went from the blu, 510 kit with pcc, eGo (which my gf now uses), and now the SB. Yeah it was pricey, but it is worth it to give up cigarettes for me. I hope you find the solution to your problem; Unfortunately the answer is usually different for eveyone else.

Nikhil

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2010
Louisville, KY
There are nicotine inhalers, and they aren't any better than the gum or patch. Nicotine inhalers basically "spray" nicotine into your mouth, which is a slow absorption, and they don't feel at all like cigarettes.

Nobody is claiming the risks are removed, but most believe that they are reduced.

This forum has tons of information and you have plenty of great advice like Kent's. It is true you have to be somewhat motivated to use the e-cig, and just the fact that I don't hurt my friends or family with second-hand smoke is enough for me, but there's a long list of reasons I use it. The choice, however, is yours.

Israfil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
The medical device you are describing is a nicotine inhaler. They do exist, but they have a far lower success rate. The hand to mouth motion isn't quite the same, the flavor (of course) sucks, and there is no heat to the inhaled vapor. The inhaling techniques used in them are different from smoking too, more like an asthma inhaler, so they don't tend to give the right feeling. Those are also designed to "help you quit" not as a healthier alternative.

As for the health risks of ecigs, according to a study done by health NZ they are negligible, similar in level to caffeine intake. Most likely the risk of heart failure would be decreased due to the lack of most of the other chemicals in cigarettes.

I do hope you find something that works for you. The videos linked earlier would be a great choice for what you want. I've got a similar setup (made by me) that autojuices and the batteries tend to die before the juice bottle empties. (my batteries last me about 20 hours per charge) It is a little bit fickle only because I'm terrible at soldering. (sometimes my soldered joints break loose...thats what I get for sucking) ^_^ All the professionally created pieces I've used have worked 100 percent of the time.

edit: ahhhhh pure you crazy vaping dwarf...beat me to the punch on the inhalers.

Last edited:

RedKnight

Aug 19, 2009
Atlanta GA
Thanks Israfil and PureVapor (cool graphic!), it does make sense that water droplets are not going to be the same as vaporized gasses. Water droplets, like pollen etc., are intended to be intercepted by the body before they get deep within the lungs. True gasses have no such problems.

So I guess I was wrong in my thinking. Sigh. And bongs are right out.

Pure, some folks here do imply that ecigs remove risks relative to analogue smokes. I personally guesstimate they are roughly halved, which isn't bad at all.

I'll look into the links (thanks Kent). I have learned to be unpleasantly surprised with anything to do with ecigs.

Except for how it really rocks when it works.
RK

Edit: I just remembered how much trouble it was trying to figure out what's the best whatever. The current challenge, auto juice box or cartomizer. To my right sits $500 of stuff rusting away.

Last edited:

Israfil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
No sweat Red, that's why we post!

Between juicebox and carto, many people choose both. (for example the juicebox posted above by kent uses a 510 carto and a juicebottle to keep it filled)

Honestly we haven't gotten into the realm of piezoelectric pumps with measured drip timers yet, but we have people working on it. That would be the real "Ideal device". Well...that and the ever elusive unbreakable atomizer. Mix the two and vape happily forever. Until then, our best and newest tech (till Cisco releases his Pulse) is the juicebox style.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
RedNight, don't give up so easily! Yes, you have to tinker with an E-cig, but you have to maintain a supply with analogs, too. With an E-cig, you can charge a USB passthrough to use when you are sitting at a desk and save the batteries for walk around vaping.

When I leave the house, I carry a small 5ml bottle of juice in my pocket and top off my Ego Mega cart/atomizer every hour or so with a few drops of juice. The battery lasts me around 8 hours and I don't consider it a problem.

The startup costs are high, but not really when you add up the cost of smoking analogs for a month. You also have to think about the health consequences of continued smoking vs vaping. Vaping appears to be the best choice for longer life and better health, especially if you can taper down to lower nic levels or even get to 0 nic at some point.

Give it a month and then make a decision. Smoke a few analogs a day as you transition to vaping and you will probably decide as many of us have that vaping is actually more pleasurable than tobacco. The taste is better, the simulated act of smoking is relaxing, and the vapor is probably many times better for your health than inhaling smoke.

There is no long term solution to the maintenance of the hardware except for cartomizers and mega carts. Dropping a few drops into an atomizer cart is just not a pain for me. It takes only a few seconds to add a few drops and I'm good for up to an hour while I am out and I don't have to find an outside smoking area to satisfy my urges. A quick stealth vape here and there and I am good for a while.

txtumbleweed

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Walla Walla
I use the new Hello 1300 mah Battery with the premium cartomizers. The battery charge lasts all day and I fill a few Carto's to last me 12 hours or so. It only takes about 5 min to fill the cartos using the condom method and you are set for the day. After you get the hang of filling a couple there is no mess and you don't have to take off any caps or constantly drip like with attys.

crouton976

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2009
Just a quick thought to ponder... what if the cigarette as we know it didn't exist? What if you had to roll your own, which would require carrying a pouch of tobacco, a pack of rolling papers and a lighter? What if you had to open the pouch, pinch out just the right amount of tobacco, spread it just so on the paper, roll it and twist it just so to make sure its tight enough to hold but not so tight it doesn't burn, lick the paper to get it to stay rolled and light it with the lighter?

Would you still be interested in smoking?

Honestly, if cigarettes were still like that, I would say that not only is vaping MUCH easier, I'd be running headfirst for it.

The number one thing you have to keep in mind is that there is a learning curve to using an electronic cigarette, just as there is with driving a new car, programming a new tv, or using a new cell phone.

You say that you don't want to have to fiddle with something every few minutes and only want to have to refill once a week, but how often do you reach into your pocket for your pack and lighter? And unless cigarette technology has changed since September of 2009 when I quit smoking, I can assure you that you do not have a cigarette that lasts for a week before lighting a new one.

I am not trying to be harsh or to attack you, so please don't take offense. I am merely trying to point out that your train of thought about vaping is far removed from your train of thought about smoking. They should be more in line with each other, as there are many similarities between the two. The number one hurdle to overcome is to allow one routine or ritual to replace the other, i.e. pulling a bottle out of your pocket and dripping a few drops into a cartridge vs. pulling a lighter out of your pocket and lighting a cigarette. You would have to do either one every half hour or so (depending on how often you smoke) so why view one differently than the other?

As far as the problems you mentioned about hardware such as the battery life, not getting consistent vapor, etc., I can only say that sometimes you'll have to experiment until you find what works for you. I would say to go back through the list of suggestions people have already given and start with that. I would especially say to follow the advice that was given about making a list of what you want from a device and start asking around about what meets your expectations. I would try to leave out the refilling once a week requirement... maybe once a day would be a good compromise? I personally used to stop in at gas stations daily to buy a pack of smokes, so why not refill a bottle once a day instead? Or, if you buy your cigarettes by the carton once a week, why not buy 10 empty 3ml bottles and fill them all once a week, carrying one a day and just grabbing another from your stash until the end of the week when it's time to refill them all? Again, replacing one ritual with another.

As far as the inconsistent vapor is concerned, your statement about saturating sounds to me like maybe you were over filling and/or flooding the atomizer. If that is the case, it's no wonder you experienced such inconsistent vapor. If you overfill, then the atomizer can't vaporize the liquid properly. It's like adding cold water to a pot of boiling water. If you do, the water in the pot stops boiling. Likewise, too much liquid in an atomizer hinders it's ability to vaporize the liquid since it's applying the same amount of heat to a larger quantity of liquid, which results in less or no vapor produced. Alternatively, you could have just had bad atomizers, in which case I'd advise you to buy from a reputable merchant.

You can now purchase devices that have LONG battery life. You can now buy cartomizers that are a lot less messy and require less topping up. If you buy from a reputable dealer, you can get cartomizers/atomizers that give consistent vapor.

The bottom line is that you had to learn how to smoke. You should go into vaping with the same mindset. Should you have any questions, simply ask. You will find a wealth of info and help on this and other forums. I think it's the common thread of being free from smoking that makes us want to help and encourage one another. Your case would certainly be no different.

Don't give up, and try not to get frustrated. It's all in how your thought process works. If you think of e-cigs like regular cigs, then you should have no trouble whatsoever. After all, they were designed to mimic smoking and all of it's routines. I would say that you haven't been let down or mislead about e-cigs... I would say, with the exception of the inconsistent vapor, they performed exactly as they were designed to.

-Creighton

Last edited:

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
Can you say GGTS w/AFS on it, I use about 10ml's a day vaping sometimes a bit more and sometimes a bit less, but if you fill this thing more than once a day holding 6-7ml's of juice I would be very surprised and you wont switch quality batts more than once either so if you can afford around say $300 it would be money well spent or you could wait about another month and buy the newest GGTS/AFS and have the ultimate, I have 4 GG mods 3 AFS units because I like to vape 4-5 different flavors of juice a day as well as 2 Silver Bullets and many other quality mods like I have said before, but just one of these GGTS/AFS units would do for you, put your money up on the table and step up to the pump, get one, you will be done buying until the next best thing is out. The ecig marketplace is moving so fast that it will only get better and better each couple of months so starting back off with this mod will set you straight and if not then you will always be a smoker, I hope the previous though and trust me the people here on the ECF wont steer you wrong if your talking to members that have been here for a long time, for the most part we are pretty knowledgeable on vaping and what to get, in fact if you need anything or any advice just PM me I'll help you out no problem and you will have more vapor production than you know what to do with bar none.!!!

Trixie

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2009
US
RedKnight, I think you may be making this too difficult by expecting too much, including perhaps an instant replacement for cigarettes.

Many good ideas have been shared here, but first and foremost I’d suggest you don’t think of this as an immediate and complete replacement for your cigarettes. You seem to swing between all e-cigs and then all cigarettes when you get fed up.

Consider experimenting with some of the ideas that have been posted here while continuing to smoke, without any pressure, and see if you can’t find some pleasure and satisfaction from the e-cig, while accepting that there will always be some work involved. That’s what worked for me, and I hadn’t even wanted to switch, I was just being polite as my first e-cig was a gift. Over time I discovered that I actually preferred the e-cigs, even with the (ultimately minimal) upkeep involved.

As to all the equipment you now own, you can sell what you are sure you aren’t happy with on the “Classified & Swaps” forum, and recoup some of the money you’ve spent.

It does take some time and experimentation to find what works best for you, but for many, myself included, it is definitely worth it.

Last edited:

Stephra

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2010
Pennsylvania
Just a quick thought to ponder... what if the cigarette as we know it didn't exist? What if you had to roll your own, which would require carrying a pouch of tobacco, a pack of rolling papers and a lighter? What if you had to open the pouch, pinch out just the right amount of tobacco, spread it just so on the paper, roll it and twist it just so to make sure its tight enough to hold but not so tight it doesn't burn, lick the paper to get it to stay rolled and light it with the lighter?

Would you still be interested in smoking?

Honestly, if cigarettes were still like that, I would say that not only is vaping MUCH easier, I'd be running headfirst for it.

-Creighton

Me and my guy used to roll our own to save cash. Coming from that, I have to say ecigs are SOOO much easier to deal with!

I use KR808 cartos and have found them to be hassle free. I carry 4-6 cartos every day in my case, along with 4 XL batts. I have never had a day yet where I've used more than two batteries, or vaped all my carts dry.

The amount of time I devote is minimal. 20-30 minutes in the morning to fill all my carts and unplug my fresh batteries, and about 1 minute to plug in my dead batts at the end of the day. To me, this is nothing - that half an hour in the morning is my "waking up" time anyway. You could probably shave a little more time by using a condom fill method, but I like to be extra precise and drip into the filler directly.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Thanks for posting those video reviews for the Wet Box. I really like the looks of that e-cig and it seems to work beautifully. I may get myself one of those for at-home vaping!

VR,

Dispenser mods were my 'ultimate' at one time but didn't find the right one, so I kinda forgot about the idea - blue foam plug with a straw mod was making using carts much better - longer between refills etc. Then I saw that second video and thought what a good idea - a bottom feeder without the tube, etc. and decided to go for it. Wow, it really does last all day and is almost like my Bartlebys vaporwise (and except it doesn't have a charging cable/PT which is nice). And it is a particularly good way to keep from burning cartomizers because the needle goes right into where the atty must be - you get an instant shot of flavor with every squeeze. I'd given up on KR8 cartoz.

More recently I got some LR 510 cartoz from Provape (1.6-1.7 ohms) and while the vapor is better, like with some true HV mods (or wattage at close to 9W), the flavor dropped off some. I'm still 'evaluating'. The mega Cartoz that come with the Wetbox are 3.4 ohms, so I'm thinking something in the regular 510 atty range 2.1 to 2.5 tops might be even better for flavor and still maintain good vapor. I Highly recommend the wetbox, esp. for those who want 'all day' without refilling or recharging (14500 batt good for heavy vaping for 8-10 hours, ymmv).

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I'll look into the links (thanks Kent). I have learned to be unpleasantly surprised with anything to do with ecigs.

Except for how it really rocks when it works.

You're welcome. And you're right - sucks when it doesn't work, rocks when it does. :) So far the Wetbox rocks for me.

On the comment on 'heart problems' - while nicotine is a vaso-constricter, with most of the heart and vascular problems associated with smoking cigarettes, research has shown that it's the carbon monoxide that is more responsible than the nicotine. Not saying nicotine isn't a factor, just not the main one.

Nicotine is also a non-inflammatory so despite the fact that doctors would never prescribe it ;-) ...recent studies in two Swiss universities have shown that the heavier smokers do better with arthritis than non-smokers. In fact, the more they smoke, the less pain because of the anti-inflammatory attribute of nicotine.

Buzzy

ECF Veteran
May 19, 2010
Chicago
Red Knight:

I saw the posts giving you a lot of suggestions on various things that might make your ecig experience better and more satisfying to you. And some of them are very good suggestions. 510 cartomizers or the newer KR808D-1 cartos are much improved, easier to refill, and last longer, though not all day. You might go through 3 or 4 a day, depending on how much you vape.

The box mods with autodrip are another good suggestion, though also another expense. And no method is perfect.

I just want to say that I am sorry your experience is so negative with ecigs, that you are so frustrated with it. It has been a bit of a journey for me to find what is working best for me. And it might be very different from what would work best for you.

But to me, it has been worth the occasional frustration, wrong purchase, and expense. I am off of analogues completely. My breathing is better. Neither my clothes nor I stink of tobacco. I don't snore at night - or so my wife tells me (lol). And I feel healthier.

I did not expect nor try to quit tobacco cigs immediately. I blended the two. But within six weeks, I was off of tobacco cigs completely. I just hope that you can find something that will be acceptable to you. It is worth the trouble, imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread