Not open for further replies.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I found this statement lacking in info

"misrepresenting the benefits that Rutherford County was supposedly receiving from JailCigs."

Sounds to me like they were mad about not having received any revenue?

So ecigs are now contraband? I guess if the state says they are the same as cigarettes they are. What a bunch of.............

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I remember yrs back seeing a special ecig for prisons. Something that couldn't be made into a weapon. Back about when Snoopdog and Charlie Sheen came out with their own ecig brands.

Shanked with a Cig-a-Like?

LOL

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
I found this statement lacking in info

"misrepresenting the benefits that Rutherford County was supposedly receiving from JailCigs."

Sounds to me like they were mad about not having received any revenue?

So ecigs are now contraband? I guess if the state says they are the same as cigarettes they are. What a bunch of.............
In the early months of the JailCigs investigation, he maintained his constitutional right to be silent during a Rutherford County Commission Budget Committee meeting when Commissioner Rhonda Allen asked him where the JailCigs revenues were.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks. But I am having a little problem in that he was convicted on Federal corruption charges when being a state employee in a county jail?
Thoughts?

I'm Not a Law Scholar.

But I believe when a Public Official or Public Employee commits Corruption, then He/She can be charged in a Federal Court.

The purpose is that a Federal Court should be Independent of any State Influences.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Thoughts?

Perhaps racketeering? Using his position to profit by distributing the products into the jail system and using county empoyees to accomplish it. Lying and concealing his income from the enterprize.
This ^^^^ was my first thought also, however, it appears there was some sort of an agreement between the sheriff and the state and or county and in turn he was suppose to pay revenues to the county budget committee. Personally, I would have thought that type of agreement, in itself, would be illegal to operate out of a jail but what do I know...lol

Reactions: ENAUD

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
This ^^^^ was my first thought also, however, it appears there was some sort of an agreement between the sheriff and the state and or county and in turn he was suppose to pay revenues to the county budget committee. Personally, I would have thought that type of agreement, in itself, would be illegal to operate out of a jail but what do I know...lol

Hence the need for the Feds to be Involved.

If the State was left to handle this, they might Slow Play it. Or even try to Kick It under a Rug.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Hence the need for the Feds to be Involved.

If the State was left to handle this, they might Slow Play it. Or even try to Kick It under a Rug.
And that is my point. It seems to me that as long as they planned on getting money from this business, it was ok(possibly already under that rug). But being greedy, like we all know gov is, they went after him with(rightly so) with criminal charges. Where are the States or county charges for operating a business within the jail system? It doesn't sound like the prison was privately owned and they must have ok'ed use of state employees within the county. Whew, what a mess. The whole thing stinks.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... Whew, what a mess. The whole thing stinks.

I think you Nailed It right there.

Hard to say How Many palms were Greased to make this all Possible. And, of course, the Best palm grease known to man is Money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread