Vaping in public places where smoking is usually not allowed.....a rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StereoDreamer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Columbia MD
I'm with Absintheur, "if I didn't smoke there I don't vape there". And even when I vape in public I try to use a white 510 instead of a mod so as not to draw attention.

Actually, I tend to take the exact opposite tack.

I almost ALWAYS carry a mod with a tank, because people can't confuse it with an "analog" cig, and it makes for a better "ice breaker" to open up dialogs and "educational opportunities".

If someone is going to accuse me of "smoking", the last thing I want to do is be immediately on the defensive because I'm carrying a small, white 901 cig-a-like. If I'm vaping an eGo or a 18650 VV mod with a Vivi Nova, there is NO WAY anyone can say "I thought that was a cigarette". If someone is going to get all up in my grill about "smoking", they are immediately going to look unreasonable and foolish to bystanders, because I'm onbiously NOT "smoking" a cigarette. And when they give me that "deer in the headlights" look when I start to explain what a "personal vaporizer" is and how it works, they look (an hopefully feel) even more foolish and ignorant.

The key to dealing with unreasonable ANTZ is to craft the situation so that THEY look like the aggressor, the oppressor, and the inconsiderate, ignorant, rude person. That way I look like the "victim" to onlookers, and the entire public opinion dynamic is instantly shifted in my favor. THEY are coming into the situation on the defensive before they even know it, and all I have to do is be polite, speak in even, soft tones, and explain what I'm actually doing, and how it is 100% legal and not a threat to their health or the environment.

Successful activism is NOT about "facts" or "truth" or "statistics" or "winning the argument". It is ALL about PERCEPTION, and if you can put the other person in a situation where, to the public, THEY look like the aggressor, the rude one, the inconsiderate, ignorant neanderthal, then you've alreay won 99% of the battle. Answering them with calm, measured tones, peppered with some technical jargon to make them look even more ignorant, and then asking them if they are REALLY that offended by the aroma of coffee/caramel/watermelon or whatever you are vaping will just give them even more rope...

It's ALL about perception. Be mentally prepared. DO NOT respond to aggressive ANTZ with aggression or objections to their objections. Ask them questions--"Do you know about Personal Vaporizers and how they work?" "Did you know that PG is used in ALL medical products that are delivered in vapor form, like asthma inhalers and nebulizers?". Let THEM rant and rave. Let THEM make wild accusations and spew BS. Let THEM dig their own holes, and look like the unreasonable one.

It's ALL about perception. I can not stress that point too strongly. And when the Vape Community "gets" this one simple fact, and starts to implement it--IN PUBLIC--things will start to change and turn in our favor...

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
That's an isolated thing ...

Friends ...
We can NOT allow what some idiots think or even say
rule our lives and dictate what rights we should give up.

If you are one who is "super sensitive" to anything anyone might think or say ...
Then vape where no one can see you.
Smoking and the appearance of smoking will never again
be sociably acceptable behavior ... Vaping will just be socially tolerated.

IF anyone had the guts to tell me they don't approve ...
I would look at them as if they have 2 heads and without saying anything ...
turn around and show them my back ... or walk away from them.
I do NOT communicate with Idiots ... I do NOT wish to even be seen with an Idiot.
Never ever ever argue with an Idiot.

Last edited:

Pentarth

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2012
Michigan
My wife was vaping on her Provari in the doctors waiting room when he walked in, asked about it then admitted he used an electronic cigarette too (cigalike) then he realized what he had said and looked embarrassed and changed the subject. to funny :)
I steathvape everywhere ... just don't want to deal with the paranoid idiocy of the anti-smoking discrimination that is rampant in Michigan right now.

Indagroove

Nov 10, 2012
Nevada
I remember flying from Nevada to Detroit a few years ago and was standing in line for Southwest (when they had A,B and C lines). I was talking on the phone with my brother, my mom had just passed away and we were making arrangements and such. I told my brother over the phone "Yeah it was a 4 hour flight and we are in Midway and there is no where to smoke, it sucks and I am really stressed out right now."

Now out of the blue, I am still on the phone by the way, this lady next to me who must have weighed in at over 300 bills speaks up to me and says real loud, "Maybe you should just quit that disgusting nasty habit and you would not have these worries."

I am a pretty calm person and it takes a LOT to light my fuse, but being without a smoke for 4+ hours, and with my mom just passing away and going home to arrange things I just went off.

Immediately after she said that, without hesitation, I yelled back at her and said "Maybe if you cut out all those big macs at McDonalds you would not be 300 .......ing pounds either". And carried on my conversation with my brother who was at this time laughing his .... off on the phone.

Needless to say, she shut her yap and a few others in line had to wipe the tears from their eyes.

After that day, I promised myself not to take any of this crap from other people. I do not smoke any longer, however I do vape. I will vape in public, I will be as courteous as I can be. I will try my best not to give a person a reason to question my decisions. However, if they EVER get in my face I will let them have it. Rights go two ways in this country. You have a right to complain, and I have a right to tell you to get lost. You have a right to make your rules, I have a right not to visit your establishment if I do not like those rules.

You see, it is more satisfying for those people to judge and question others than to look within their own body and decisions they have made and criticize themselves. It is human nature.

Fordeetu

Sep 9, 2012
Chattanooga, TN
This is what I generally do. Vape like mad from my car to the entrance. Linger about where the smokers usually are, then go in.

Generally I take my spinner in with a tank on it and keep it in my hand or in my mouth at all times with it off. I've met two fellow vapers (complete strangers) just by carrying the pv. Twice I've had people ask me what it was and I explained it to them. One was a smoker that I gave the ecf web addy and a vendor web addy.

If you flaunt it, you are enticing trouble and the stigma. If you are casual, you're more likely to get interest instead of condemnation.

fwellers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2010
Northern Va
photos.fwellers.com
I'm only a week old of a vaper this time around and my general tactic is to vape where I used to smoke. I know I can go into the stores and vape, but the way I see it, I used to have to wait for my fix, so why take a chance on becoming even more dependent on something by never denying myself of it ? If I used to wait a couple of hours to smoke, then I will wait to vape.

It is a general rule of mine, but all rules are meant to be broken. For example, I do vape at my desk at work, because I like not having to go tothe cold garage.
All of that said, these are my own self imposed restrictions. I don't accept other people putting unreasonable restrictions on my behavior. Iif I decide to vape somewhere, that means I think it's ok in that situation. My decision takes into account other people, size of the space, how much vape I need or want etc.. If some Jagoff with control issues decides to stick his nose into my business, that's his/her problem not mine !
Anyone whose powers od discernment are so weak that they cant tell the difference between a lit cigarette and water vapor deserves only pity. And if they do know the difference and still want to prevent me from being free, then they deserve and get contempt from me.

I like StereoDreamer's thoughts on the subject, but I've seen too many liberties and freedoms whittled away and too many ridiculous .... laws made in the last 40 years or so. I'm about out of patience with idiot control freaks.

Spanner

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2012
Milwaukee, WI
I got my first "looks" last night. My wife and I were at the pub eating dinner. Once I finished my meal, I took out my eGo C and started vaping. The table in front of me considted of 4 couples in their early to mid 50's. After taking a few hits and exhaling, one of the guys leaned toward his wife pointed at me and whispered something to her.

In the mean time, two of the ladies stepped up and went outside to the "smoking lounge", and came back smelling of tobacco. Now be it far from me to complain about smokers after being a smoker for 45 years. But if someone wants to complain about "smell", they should get near a tobacco user after they just finished their cigarette.

I think one of the main problems of general acceptence is people call the PV's E-Cigarettes. The term "CIGARETTE" has a negative connotation attached to it. The only thing that our setups have in common with a tobacco cigarette is 1. It delivers nicotine. 2. It produces a smoke vapor (which is completely dissimlar to a tobacco cigarette).

When someone asks me what it is I have, I tell them it's a "personal nicotine delivery system". I also state that it has helped me completely eliminate the use of tobacco products (Notice, I NEVER use the term cigarette). The fact that I mentioned that I have eliminated the use of tobacco products aways elicits a positive response. I then explain that there is flavored nicotine liquid that I put in this device and point to the clearomizer or cart. When I push the button, a battery heats up the liquid to create the vapor. I then let them think about this: If you look, the water vapor that I exhale is less than the smoke of a hot cup of coffee or a steaming plate of fajitas. I then continue with explaining the various types of flavors (Bubble Gum, Fruit, Coffee, etc.) They then get it out of their mind that you are smoking, which we are not!

To me it's a matter of how you use and phrase your words. If you use positive words to describe your PV and negative words for other compairitive objects, you will receive a positive response.

It's the tank is half full with gasoline, or it's half empty syndrome.

glassmanoak

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
Lafayette, La
The only good thing about calling a PV an e-cigarette is that it makes an instant connection as an alternative to smoking cigarettes. A PV sounds more like a medical device to me.. maybe an inhaler because of some lung problem.
Of course, it's all semantics and perceptions, but I prefer to call my devices ecigs.. no matter how "un-cigarette" looking they are.

cowboy6591

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2013
Liberty, TN

liveone

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2012
Los Angeles
There's going to be rude people no matter if you are vaping or something else someone doesn't like. Even if they deserve it (imo) I try not to one up them or return rudeness. There are also rude vapers.

I was vaping in front of a doorway of a public building and security asked me to go to the smoking section about 4 steps away. I explained that I wasn't smoking and that what I was using was a vaporizer. I really prefer that term than using inflammatory words like cig, nicotine, or delivery system. He resisted saying that it looked like I was smoking. I spent a few seconds explaining to him the difference and that it was ok with management to vape where I was standing. But... if it was bothering him I'd be happy to stop or move somewhere else. Some juices I use have a very strong smell and although I get mostly positive comments of how great it smells, some people are irritated by it. Although I might have permission to vape at certain locations, I try to be courteous to others and dont press my so called rights.

As I was leaving the security guard said that I was ok where I was. I told him thanks but I was done. That was about 6 months ago but it seems like we've gone light years from then. I see so many more vapers and even more who understand vaping today.

jpargana

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
Portugal
That isn't exactly something of the nature of a "long term study", and even if you want to count it as such.

Sorry, but I find it difficult to understand why people believe the e-cig should have "long term studies" made before it's use is widely spread. Unlike every other item we use everyday.
Do you honestly believe Big Pharma studies a new drug for 20 years before it is sold to market? How do you explain, then, the retrieval of many drugs from that same market, because after X years, some long-term effect has been discovered?
How about consumer products? Colorings, preservatives, sweeteners, in the food and beverages we eat everyday? Do people usually care about the long-term effects when they open a can of Coke?
It is not practical to make those studies before marketing. As with everything else, long-term studies are made after a product's use is widespread. Only then do you have the time, and a population of users large enough to give those studies any meaning. So, we are a part of that study right now. There's no way around it... the only way for someone to be 'sure' about vaping, is waiting some 20 years from now, and see were it ends. For me, that would mean staying on cigarettes for 20 years more... and we all know, already, were it would probably end...! ;)

Kuidaore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2013
Socal
Ah, I really should've used "vaporizer" just now...I've been vaping a bit at work for the past few weeks, I have some friends here who smelled it and it didn't bother them. I think they rather like it actually, I've let a few try it and might have convinced one guy to buy his own. My manager only now just noticed the scent though (I am very close to her office, though there's no line of sight) and said it smelled really nice and did I know what it was - as I'm a terrible liar I 'fessed up about the e-cig.

"What, you're smoking indoors?"
"No, it's just vapor, it's not harmful..."

Then I got the side-eye and a 'pep talk' on quitting smoking for good. Argh.

I wasn't asked to stop doing it, but I probably will go outside from now on.

Last edited:

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
I wasn't asked to stop doing it, but I probably will go outside from now on.

Pretending that you are still smoking will not help educate them. If they didn't ask you to quit, I think you should either continue, or point blank ask for permission, one or the other.

If you just start hanging out with the smokers, then their opinion is going to be "It's just another way of smoking and we caught him smoking inside".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread