Status
Not open for further replies.

nocturn4l3030

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2011
South Bay, CA
just made a thread but just had another thought that i wanted to post about

So obviously, i go outside when i want to have an analog... do you guys do the same with your e-cigs when you're not home and in public? i dont think i'll feel comfortable using this inside buildings.. like right now im at a starbucks.

i'm feeling a little self conscious already about the thought about using it at my college in public... i guess no one really smokes in the building i'm always at so i'm always outside smoking.. i'm just kinda imagining the looks i'm going to get smoking that thing outside a campus building.

i was thinking of maybe just smoking in the bathroom stealth mode but that's kinda nasty too

do you guys jus shrug off the funny looks? or do it in stealth mode?

12/22/11 Moved to e-cigarettes in public

Last edited by a moderator:

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Hello,
vaping with the smokers is a good conversation starter,,,,,especially when they ask you.... Personally, I don't care what kind of looks I get, but a lot of people ask about it when they see me.....
I also have an office with a door, so no one bothers me even tho I know they see me thru my window....
:)

cookiebun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2011
Central Ohio
I never smoked analogs in my apartment but I vape inside now. I'd never vape in a store or restaurant. I don't care if it's not against the law, until vaping becomes more common people are still going to think I'm smoking.
I'm not allowed to smoke in the buildings at work but I vape all the time now when I'm alone because it leaves no smell.
Don't vape where you aren't comfortable.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Many on ECF (myself included) vape just about anywhere. In a resturant or sports bar I show my PV to the server or manager and explain that it emits mostly oderless water vapor. If they would rather I don't vape, I respect that. I don't go back there but I respect their wishes. The majority of places in my experience are fine with it. I make it a point to not blow large vapor clouds all over the place. My vaping in non-smoking areas has started many a good conversation and allowed me to get smokers interested in transitioning to vaping. It helps that my PV looks nothing like an analog. It also gets the uninformed aware that vaping is NOT smoking.

Last edited:

cyberwolf

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
You will find that you can vape anywhere you can smoke and some places you can't. Just don't throw it in anybody's face and you'll be fine. I rarely vape in restaurants, but alone in an aisle at the store, definitely. I actually don't think it's a bad idea to vape with the smokers at least initially, because that's part of your habit also.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
I was always self-conscious smoking in public, so I'm probably the same way vaping. A lot of people never knew I smoked. When I do vape in public, so far it's been outside, I'm always approached by people that ask questions about it. My Mom whips her's out and vapes anywhere. Maybe because she's older? No one ever says anthing to her at all.

Don't worry about vaping in the bathroom, you really don't smell it and it dissipates quickly.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
I was always self-conscious smoking in public, so I'm probably the same way vaping. A lot of people never knew I smoked. When I do vape in public, so far it's been outside, I'm always approached by people that ask questions about it. My Mom whips her's out and vapes anywhere. Maybe because she's older? No one ever says anthing to her at all.

Don't worry about vaping in the bathroom, you really don't smell it and it dissipates quickly.

**Edit: Maybe I thought they didn't know I smoked. Now that I don't, I'm sure they smelled it.

melloyello

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2011
usa
it certainly is a conversation starter. i was at a family gathering the past weeked and now 3 of them want the same thing (which i will order for them).
what is starting to bother me a bit is the fact that i seem to be the one that has to do it all for them. not the unit itself but juices as well and as u all know, its hit n miss.
i do like that they are interested and gladly ge them off analogs but...its starting to take up lot of time to explain it all and then order stuff. the last 3 weeks ive turned many 8 people to vaping.
sometimes i vape someplace "because i can" even if i would not have lit up an analog there. i do find myself vaping in places i would not smoke, including my own house. i agree fully also with Cookiebun

lauraebk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2011
Ca
This is totally off the wall, but for me vaping in public is like breastfeeding. If Im not making a production of it, no one really gives a flying fig. I tend to vape when walking down hallways, or in the aisles of stores. So far I've only ever gotten a few confused looks- no attitude.

I keep waiting to use my, "its so cold in here, I can see my breath" line...

quaylon

Mar 30, 2011
Omaha, NE
When I started vaping (3 months ago) I told my self that I wasn't quitting smoking, just quitting tobacco. To that end, I went out for my smokes just like always. I would go about my business as I always had, at work, at home, everywhere. Then, one evening at my local watering hole, I just took a few drags inside and my whole world changed. I was suddenly free. Since then, I vape when I want, where I want. In addition to the new found liberty, I have had the opportunity to discuss PV use with others and I've even helped a few people exchange a bad habit for a better one.

As many have pointed out in this thread and others, using a PV in public is good for us all!

scinsc

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2010
USA
We live in a brainwashed society.
I am sorry but I just don’t understand the level of intimidation some folks have about using a PV and how they strongly relate it to smoking. Using a PV is not smoking it’s anti-smoking.

I apologize to the OP I don't want to seem like I'm jumping on you. I see that you are a new member at ECF and perhaps new to vaping but I just can’t help but use this sentence, “i dont think i'll feel comfortable using this inside buildings.. like right now im at a starbucks.” In a Starbucks? In a STARBUCKS? O-M-G. We are talking about a place that is saturated with caffeine vapor. The vapor from a PV is about as significant as a pimple on an elephant’s fanny in a Starbucks. Or anywhere else for that matter. I just find it very odd that billions of cups of coffee are served up every day with caffeine vapor poring out and not a peep from anybody. But someone using a PV is a public nuisance. The time has come folks, Ban Coffee!

Last edited:

CapN Swagga

Feb 15, 2011
Nevada
I agree vaping is a great conversation starter. Meems is completely correct, if you look like your up to no good then someone will more than likely question you. In the restaurants I just exhale under the table and most people are oblivious. One old man gave me quite a tongue lashing one day until I politely explained what a pv was and how I was able to quit a 20 year habit in one week from using it.

GitMoe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
Illy Philly
My college campus is completely tobacco free everywhere except the parking lots. A few weeks ago I was walking on the sidewalk going to class in a building that often has conferences and big meetings for the college. I was vaping openly as I was walking along. Some lady in a fancy getup stopped me and said, "you better put that out the president is coming right behind us". I simply shrugged at her and kept walking. Sure enough up ahead the president of the college walks out of the building. I just kept vaping away as she approached. She immediately stopped talking to the group of people she was with and stopped me. "Sir, you can't smoke here on campus." I showed her the PV real quick and explained the basics. She seemed really surprised but ultimately congratulated me on quitting smoking and let me go on my way vaping happily... Don't be afraid. You aren't doing anything wrong. You're actually doing what's right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread