Vaping in public

Status
Not open for further replies.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Sorry but I don’t agree and to be honest I think you are coming across a bit overboard. Perhaps you didn’t get the humor in the first sentence in WV2wins post. I thought it was heavily laced with tongue and cheek. Overall his post was spot on. I see very clearly that he advocates respect and I take that to mean consideration for the people that do not vape. I would ad that there should also be respect for the person that does vape. If WV2win had been in that same restaurant with you and had seen such behavior I would be willing to bet that he would be in their face calling them out about being rude. I have been to many places and have never seen the behavior you are alluding to. To me the most important thing about a “public place” is that it’s public. It’s not his or yours or mine or anyone else’s excecpt the owner. While I might not like some of the things others do in public, unless they are causing harm, It’s none of my business. It’s freedom.

Excellent points, SC. Fortunately, the majority through-out this thread see the common sense in not acting like vaping is the same as smoking. There always seem to be one who can't see beyond their own condescending perspective.

ShannonA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2011
Tyler, Tx
I had these two post in another thread and thought it would be good to have it here.

I work out of my home and vape throughout the house (for over a year). When I used to smoke it was always outside. My wife is a homemaker and has never smoked in her life. I knew that the nicotine in my exhaled vape was miniscule but to ease our minds we both took a nicotine test to see if there was any nicotine in her system. Of course my test showed levels high enough to show nicotine use. Hers was zero. I'm happy.

My test was certainly not a controlled scientific study and I am sure that no one will take it as such. It was just done to alleviate my concerns for my wife because she was telling me she could smell the vape. Since we are both at home 24/7/365 she is exposed to vape much more than most so if anyone could suffer from second hand nicotine she would be a pretty good case. I can only speak for myself but it shows me that what we are exhaling is harmless. I am not so sure about the falling issue but I would think that if my wife is showing no nicotine in her system from airborne exposure falling would show the same results.
The test was named “TobacAlert” and cost about $40 (for two test) over the net. It is easy to use and from my research it is very accurate. For the last nine months I have used eliquid that is a 24 mg 40% VG, 60% PG. Also I use a hi volt PV.

Wow that's awesome thanks for sharing that with us.

This just happened to me, and it was highly amusing. (Yes, I'm a jackass)

So I'm walking into the post office, taking one last drag off my VP before I hit the line of Doom and Destruction. I slide my PV into my front shirt pocket before I actually get to the line - As I really don't want to vape in lines or crowded situations usually - and I hear this 40+ year old lady yelling in a comically "tattle-tale"esque voice "THAT MAN IS SMOKING IN HERE!" Now... The PV is already in my pocket, and I couldn't help but grin and say "What!? Where'd it go!?" She retorts "IN YOUR POCKET!" ...Now, at this point I lost all control and started slapping my shirt pocket repeatedly saying "Ow! OW! Hot! HOT!!" ...silence - except for the other Doom-Riders making noises I can only describe as the grownup giggles.

She finishes and walks off in a huff, saying nothing after her initial outburst at being apparently infiltrated by Demons who breathe vapor of pure evil and laugh at her distress. When I get to to counter the attendant, who I've seen many times before, asks me in the sweetest Southern Old Lady voice "Was that lady a hollerin' at you?" I say yes, and show her the PV that incited such devastation. To which she replies "Ohhhh yeah, those are fine," and we went about our business.

It was a lovely pick-me-up halfway through a long, long Friday :)

Its probably wrong of me but I did laugh would loved to have been there... :D

I'm a high school teacher and I vaped in front of my students in the classroom. I know a lot of my students smoke, so I wanted them to be aware that e-cigs exist and they have the option of switching.

Now that's a slippery slope because while I'll be the 1st to say better that a teen vape than smoke that's one of the issues opponents are using to try to get bans passed. "Teens will want to do it" "Teens will end up smoking" "they're marketed for teens". I'm thinking encouraging teens to vape in any way would ultimately be a bad thing for the cause.

Critter Man

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2010
Minnesota
Now that's a slippery slope because while I'll be the 1st to say better that a teen vape than smoke that's one of the issues opponents are using to try to get bans passed. "Teens will want to do it" "Teens will end up smoking" "they're marketed for teens". I'm thinking encouraging teens to vape in any way would ultimately be a bad thing for the cause.

I have to agree. Let 'em smoke, they're young and strong. When they turn 18, hand 'em a PV. Any teen use at all right now would be seriously detrimental in this early phase of regulation. The FDA is already classifying juice as a tobacco product, widespread teen use would be seriously harmful.

Sankira

May 28, 2011
Houston, TX
Shouldn't this thread be in E-Cigarettes in Public ?

You might be right, Critter Man, but the trouble for me is New Members can't post in the forum with the E-Cigarettes in Public discussion. Us new members have to have some place to build up credibility with the forum owners!

:p

LEEIII, Not sure if you're really interested or you were just joking, but speaking of pamphlets, Vapor4Life sends half a dozen or so V4L business cards for your use with every order. Sure, it's free advertising for them, but the cards have a description on the back of what PVs are and why they are not cigarettes. They're aimed specifically at business owners, asking them to allow the presenter to vape in their establishment. It helps cut down on the explanations sometimes.

As to the rest of our discussion, I agree with the "we can't let vaping be shoved into the same category as smoking on the basis of ignorance" camp. I agree that we need to be respectful...and if someone asks me not to vape around them because it bothers them--even after they understand it's not cigarette smoke--then I will gladly put my PV away. I'm not a hardass. But I see no reason to put it away until someone mentions it and I've had a chance to explain and see what their reaction is. Yes, it does look like smoke and so, yes, I will get comments. But so far, everyone who has said anything has been very interested in my explanations. So far, no one has had a problem with it after I've explained. And, in fact, even if the person isn't a smoker themselves, they generally know someone--friend or family--to whom they intend to mention it afterward. Seems to me we're helping the non-smoking camp by converting smokers to vapers. We should all be allies, not rivals.

chevelle

ECF Veteran
You might be right, Critter Man, but the trouble for me is New Members can't post in the forum with the E-Cigarettes in Public discussion. Us new members have to have some place to build up credibility with the forum owners!

-snip-

... Seems to me we're helping the non-smoking camp by converting smokers to vapers. We should all be allies, not rivals.
-emphasis mine-

I especially like those last two sentences!

LEEIII

Jun 4, 2011
TEJAS
Yea I was mostly joking. I just especially like the inane ads for subpar PVs. I have been meaning to make a little webpage or summat for personal friends though to explain in very easy terms what/where/how I get a nice piece of kit as all my cool ... musician friends are not gonna do research on ECF or otherwise until after they're hooked. and as for the general public, maybe I'm just too cool but I really hate trying to explain and am pretty terse about it. and yup, i vape everywhere except where I dont want to distract or disrespect attention. (movies, lecture hall, etc.)

Tripster

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2011
For me its not my pv's that people look at, its me period that they look at...I have vaped right next to cops and they don't ever question what I am doing but they sure do ask for my state id and ask if I have any warrants. I have stealth vaped in stores and blatantly vape in public places with not one person come up to me...again I guess I look intimidating or fit the description of a "terrorist" cause that's all I hear when people try to whisper to their friends or whomever they are with, I just laugh and go on with my day.

Once I get my Precise 18 that just might change but I really don't like all eyes on me but once in public domain...well ya'll should know the answer. I just hope no one calls the police on me thinking I have some sort of detonator and have a bomb strapped to me.

Ya'll will know my status soon, if ya hear about a guy getting shot cause the cops thought he had a pipe bomb or some type of explosive device...it was most likely me. :pop:

I remember my first PV.. I bought a Nuvo at a Kiosk in the Mall. The minute I paid for it I walked through Bed Bath and Beyond puffing away.. It looked just like a real cig so I did get a lot of puzzled stares..

Every time I caught someone's eye, I put in my back pocket to add to their confusion. When I think about the looks on their faces it still makes me laugh.... They clearly had no idea how I was able to put a lit cigarette in my pocket with out setting my pants on fire..

Since the early days of vaping on those crappy stick e-cigs, I quickly moved on to the larger models; ego T .... I vape everywhere. Unless I see a sign that says no vaping permitted, I have no problem with it.

I have spent countless hours in the hospital and then the nursing home sitting with my Dad while vaping three feet away from his oxygen tank. No one said a word to me, and it made my father laugh to watch me. Like my father I guess I'm a non conformist.. ;)

Tripster

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2011
Tripster, you're about 250 miles west of me, in the prairie part of the state. I take it from your post that many people would assume you are middle eastern? In the cities, folks are far less prejudiced. Kill 'em with politeness, they'll really worry about you then!

Indeed they do think I am Middle Eastern, I am from South Minneapolis though. I actually just mind my own business and go on with my day since I have been out here but I am polite if I get approached here and other towns.

GolemGolem

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
Arkansas
It IS easier to ask forgiveness, rather than permission. So far the only place I've vaped that I wouldn't smoke has been at work, and never around management, or anyone outside of my department. I still don't want to ask management for forgiveness.
I live in a dry county, but if there was a bar within walking distance, or when/if go visit my dad back to Seattle, it would be nice to hopefully enjoy a drink, and vape and see a band play all at the same time.
I had one lady mock my fake cigarette at the smoker's table at work, but she's just jelly.

Hmm... a hot atty and oxygen. Not sure I'd be comfortable with that :unsure:

It is a match or lighter that can cause the gases in oxygen to ignite or explode. And since there's no need for a match or lighter to vape, there's no risk posed. :)

There is some technical jargon about ambient temps, and at what heat range gases can ignite; particularly for or a flammable gas within its flammable limits or oxidizing gas to ignite.

The insignificant heat of an atty, is thankfully a far cry from the kind of heat source required to cause any problems. An ignition source must be present; such as an open flames or sparks, so I suspect that was why none of the nurses or doctors seemed to pay any attention to me while I sat with my Dad and vaped away for hours.

Vaping afforded me the luxury of being able to sit and talk with him for as long as I wanted, and not missing a minute of our time together because of needing to go outside to smoke. And since his passing 14 days ago today, I will always treasure those moments together for the rest of my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread