Status
Not open for further replies.

73neb

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2014
N. California Bay Area
I've vaped in dozens of "non-smoking" hotel rooms over the past three and a half years. Never had a problem except once when the fire alarm went off. Manager showed up at my door within 30 seconds. Came in, looked around, asked what the smell was, had I been burning candles or anything and left. After that incident, and only while vaping, I would cover the smoke alarms with a plastic bag or one of the shower caps they leave in the bathroom.

2GLR

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2012
Cedar Rapids
Samething happened 5 years ago. After that I have turned the air conditioning down really cold, and blown my vapor towards the floor.

In one hotel, they stated smoke free hotel, then had signs including ecigarettes. In that one I vaped in the bathroom with the vent on, like a teen ager smoking.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
In most states, covering or otherwise tampering with a smoke detector in your hotel room is considered a criminal offense. And as most hotels that ban vaping consider it the same thing as smoking, getting caught could very well lead to some hefty charges and/or fines.

If the hotel allows vaping, fine. If it doesn't and you insist on vaping anyway, it's all on you if you're caught.

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
USA - Arkansas
I ask when I check in, if they say no vaping, then it isn't a big deal to step outside for a vape. Some simply don't know what vape smells like and, by asking, they sometimes ask me to demo it for them. Once I do it's fine.

As for smoke alarms, I've set them of with a humidifier because my roommate for that trip needed high humidity to sleep properly - that set off the smoke alarm. So will using the shower to steam up the room in some hotels.

Best policy is, that if it is posted then, go outside, if the laws of the location consider vaping the same as smoking, get a smoking room or go outside. If there is nothing posted and, the law does not forbid it, ask.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
I have only been in one hotel since I started vaping and I vaped outside like a smoker, as I would most any non-smoking indoor place these days. I recently set off the downstairs smoke detector in our house by blowing a few clouds down there after 2 years vaping (and my office being right next to it).

Reactions: stols001

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Do you vape in your hotel room when on holiday in a place where vaping is fine?

Tl;dr do you vape in your hotel room? ;)

Honestly? I've only stayed in a hotel room one time since I've been vaping.. (No, I don't travel much.. lol) but no, I didn't vape there. I do follow rules, its respectful (imho)

(I know, I know.. this makes me a geeky homebody or something... but it's only right in my opinion, I'm paying for the privilege of staying in someone else's place, so I follow their rules, whatever they are. It's not my home, it's someone else's.)

Last edited:

MrStik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2013
SoCal
Honestly? I've only stayed in a hotel room one time since I've been vaping.. (No, I don't travel much.. lol) but no, I didn't vape there. I do follow rules, its respectful (imho)

(I know, I know.. this makes me a geeky homebody or something... but it's only right in my opinion, I'm paying for the privilege of staying in someone else's place, so I follow their rules, whatever they are. It's not my home, it's someone else's.)

Well I commend you for that. But I say screw the hotels for charging an additional "resort fee" to make us pay for things they have always given for free. I vape with the AC on full blast, away from any smoke detectors.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Fozzy71 said

^^^ Just a coincidence :?:

Proof right here that we spend too much money on vaping...

Hahaha.. no.. I wouldn't be getting hotel rooms even if I was a non vaper/non smoker. I've seen the world, now I'm home.

And coincidence? Probably not, unless he went to the same funeral in West Virginia that I did!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread