Vaping is too complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caesar77

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2017
So I have been trying to vape for atleast 6 months now.I started with a smok stick v8 wich was garbage for a lot of reasons, and now I recently bought a regulated mod and a RTA.

When I did so I thought the expensive coils burning in 2 days and non-stop buying them was over, and that everything would be great.How mistaken I was.

First making coils was hard for me, I have never been good at crafting, but with some practice I got good.Now my setup looked ok after researching everything and putting it into practice, but the flavor was awful, disgusting.

I wondered why, I kept researching and researching, hand oil, machine oil, dry burning or not, wicking, drain problems, working up the coil starting with low W and going up, etc...

So I kept trying and trying I didn't expect to be good at it the first time, so I didn't mind the hassle.

Anyways after a month it still tastes like crap, I have tried everything and done a lot of research and it still sucks.The best part is that my throat is irritated, my tonsils and mouth bell are swolen and I spit blood from time to time all thanks to vaping, cool.

Everyone seems to really think it's so much better than tobacco but vaping is so hard to get into and gives you so much headaches that I don't know what normal person would get into it for the sake of quitting cigarettes, because it seems that if you want to have a good vaping experience you have to be an expert in the field if you don't want to spend even more money on vaping than when you used to smoke.

Now, I really like to look into the stuff I'm getting into, and I spent a lot of time researching about vaping.But that's me, what person would be willing to spend so much time getting info just to quit smoking/start vaping?People wanna vape, no one wants to research so much stuff just to be able to basically inhale tasty vapor.Most people will have bad vaping experiences, vaping is way too difficult and in early stages that it seems to not be worth getting into because all you do is lose money.

TL;DR: Vaping is too damn complicated and potentially dangerous if done incorrectly, so it kinda sucks.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
...Most people will have bad vaping experiences, vaping is way too difficult and in early stages that it seems to not be worth getting into because all you do is lose money.

TL;DR: Vaping is too damn complicated and potentially dangerous if done incorrectly, so it kinda sucks.

Really Couldn't Disagree with this more.

I didn't switch to Vaping to Save Money. I switched to Vaping because I Couldn't go up 3 Flights of stairs without being Out of Breath. And my over-all Health was in Decline.

When I switch, I told myself that I Didn't Care if I spent the Same amount of money I spent per month (about $165 in 2009) on Cigarettes. And I bought Starter Kit after Starter Kit after Starter Kit.

And ya know what? I Never did spend more than what I spent on Smokes.

And ya know what Else? I Immediately started to Feel Better. And I am Not the Only One who has seen this.

Not say'n that Vaping is Easier then putting a Lighter to the end of a Cigarette. It Isn't. But is it Really that Complicated?

Sounds like Vaping just Isn't for you. And that's Cool. Maybe down the road it will be something you will try again.

Last edited:

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
Thats why most people start with stuff like the stick V8. Not really alot to learn. I spend about $0.12c a month on coils and maybe $10 on juice. Sure the investment to find something you like may cost alot to start but once you find something your set for awhile. I used to get upset that most of the stuff is junk that breaks but at the price I was paying for smokes I could buy a new mod or tank every month if I wanted. Usually takes more then one RTA to find one you like. I still use all of them but one luckily.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm totally sorry that thus far vaping has been so disappointing. I can feel your frustration.

I can only offer that many of us had disappointing experiences when we first started vaping. For those of us who were still optimistic and determined that vaping was better than smoking from a health perspective, we eventually found an ideal setup that worked for us. Vaping can be viewed as a journey. Many of us went through several setups before we found what "works for me".

Vaping is admittedly MUCH HARDER than smoking in the beginning. It takes determination and will power. We often will need to experiment with different styles of vaping and different gear. Once you do find your ideal setup, vaping becomes much easier and you'll likely enjoy it more than smoking.

In my opinion, a rebuildable tank atomizer is one of the harder juice attachments to "get right". I've been vaping for nearly 7 years, built coils as an employee in a vape shop for myself and customers, and to this day I'm not a fan of rebuildable tank atomizers. That's not to say that others have not had success with them. I haven't.

I am admittedly a lazy vaper. I personally use gear that is simple, easy, and works for the vast majority of people. The tank I use is the original Uwell Crown clearomizer.

It uses factory made drop in coils. They last me at least a month. It can use standard or sub-ohm coils. It can be adjusted for a mouth-to-lung or direct-to-lung vape. It is easily filled from the top. It's the easiest and most versatile tank on the market in my opinion. I strongly urge you to consider using one of these (not a Crown 2 or 3).

The above Crown should work on whatever regulated mod you are using. Just a FYI, I'm using a JAC Vapour series B DNA75W.
JAC Vapour Series-B DNA 75w

dna75-kit.jpg

Last edited:

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Swollen tonsils and mouth, irritated throat and you're spitting blood.....from vaping? I'm sorry, but I have a feeling you're doing something wrong. And this is happening after a "ton of research"? Where did you get your data, Phillip Morris?
Are you sure you don't have a medical issue going on?

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
So I have been trying to vape for atleast 6 months now.I started with a smok stick v8 wich was garbage for a lot of reasons, and now I recently bought a regulated mod and a RTA.

When I did so I thought the expensive coils burning in 2 days and non-stop buying them was over, and that everything would be great.How mistaken I was.

First making coils was hard for me, I have never been good at crafting, but with some practice I got good.Now my setup looked ok after researching everything and putting it into practice, but the flavor was awful, disgusting.

I wondered why, I kept researching and researching, hand oil, machine oil, dry burning or not, wicking, drain problems, working up the coil starting with low W and going up, etc...

So I kept trying and trying I didn't expect to be good at it the first time, so I didn't mind the hassle.

Anyways after a month it still tastes like crap, I have tried everything and done a lot of research and it still sucks.The best part is that my throat is irritated, my tonsils and mouth bell are swolen and I spit blood from time to time all thanks to vaping, cool.

Everyone seems to really think it's so much better than tobacco but vaping is so hard to get into and gives you so much headaches that I don't know what normal person would get into it for the sake of quitting cigarettes, because it seems that if you want to have a good vaping experience you have to be an expert in the field if you don't want to spend even more money on vaping than when you used to smoke.

Now, I really like to look into the stuff I'm getting into, and I spent a lot of time researching about vaping.But that's me, what person would be willing to spend so much time getting info just to quit smoking/start vaping?People wanna vape, no one wants to research so much stuff just to be able to basically inhale tasty vapor.Most people will have bad vaping experiences, vaping is way too difficult and in early stages that it seems to not be worth getting into because all you do is lose money.

If you're burning coils and etc in 2 days, you're going too hot. You should have started on an ego with an evod or something similar. Learn how a vape tastes when it is not adjustable, then if you need to, move up to more advanced mods and attys.

That's the thing, you've jumped into advanced stuff right off the bat. You should be in a vape shop or with people in person, learning builds, not reading online. If you're swollen and bleeding, you're either allergic to something, using too much PG in a high VG set up, or vaping way too hot.

Vaping isn't hard to start, but learning about mods, attys, and juices all at the same time is. You've tried to run before learning to crawl or even walk basically.

List what type of coils you've built, show some pics. What wattage are you vaping at and what liquid are you using? What nic strength and PG/VG ratio are you at?

Finally for the love of all that is good and holy, if it tastes bad or doesn't feel right, stop, use common sense. Get on here and ask a question(s) or go to a shop and ask. I get being frustrated but a blanket rant, giving very little information of what you have done or are doing is silly and pointless.

Many here are more than willing to help you out but you have to slow down and we'll work the problems together. So take a break, relax, and give us some info we can work with.

Caesar77

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2017
Swollen tonsils and mouth, irritated throat and you're spitting blood.....from vaping? I'm sorry, but I have a feeling you're doing something wrong. And this is happening after a "ton of research"? Where did you get your data, Phillip Morris?
Are you sure you don't have a medical issue going on?
It's 100% from vaping, when I was using the stick V8 it started hitting my throat really harsh, I tried again and it was so harsh I ended up coughing blood.

It used to happen with the stick but now that I'm apparently doing something wrong with my RTA it's happening again.

When I was smoking I have never cough blood and I don't have any medical condition, as I said it's just vaping being a little too complicated and noobs like me hitting a wall, in my case I hit the wall really hard lol.

And about " tons of research" I mean hours and hours of googling and reading forums watching videos etc

So far good posts appreciate all your views and insight.

Caesar77

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2017
If you're burning coils and etc in 2 days, you're going too hot. You should have started on an ego with an evod or something similar. Learn how a vape tastes when it is not adjustable, then if you need to, move up to more advanced mods and attys.

That's the thing, you've jumped into advanced stuff right off the bat. You should be in a vape shop or with people in person, learning builds, not reading online. If you're swollen and bleeding, you're either allergic to something, using too much PG in a high VG set up, or vaping way too hot.

Vaping isn't hard to start, but learning about mods, attys, and juices all at the same time is. You've tried to run before learning to crawl or even walk basically.

List what type of coils you've built, show some pics. What wattage are you vaping at and what liquid are you using? What nic strength and PG/VG ratio are you at?

Finally for the love of all that is good and holy, if it tastes bad or doesn't feel right, stop, use common sense. Get on here and ask a question(s) or go to a shop and ask. I get being frustrated but a blanket rant, giving very little information of what you have done or are doing is silly and pointless.

Many here are more than willing to help you out but you have to slow down and we'll work the problems together. So take a break, relax, and give us some info we can work with.

Coils used to burn when using the stick V8, now they don't burn that fast but now they give me other problems.

I used the stick for months before jumping into a regulated mod+RTA since the stick sucked so much and gave me such a bad experience.

And I don't think learning from people is much different than learning online.

Not sure about the VG/PG of the liquid I'm using right, but one of them is 70PG/30VG.

In the picture you can see the only coil that has given me a decent flavor, it's kinda black because I took the pic after days of using it, not sure if that's bad I've read that it's just the liquid gunking up since it was a sweet one but the flavor was still good.

Attachments

• IMG_20171227_232116765~2.jpg
    IMG_20171227_232116765~2.jpg
    422.4 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: stols001

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
I think it's obvious here that OP hasen't done much research or he/she would know more pg = throat hit if you're doing dtl inhales no wonder you're got issues......That and you'd probably know how coil life is affected along with flavors you bought an rta to stop messing with coils and you blame the tank because you don't get flavor ? Again bad research imho.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
Coils used to burn when using the stick V8, now they don't burn that fast but now they give me other problems.

I used the stick for months before jumping into a regulated mod+RTA since the stick sucked so much and gave me such a bad experience.

And I don't think learning from people is much different than learning online.

Not sure about the VG/PG of the liquid I'm using right, but one of them is 70PG/30VG.

In the picture you can see the only coil that has given me a decent flavor, it's kinda black because I took the pic after days of using it, not sure if that's bad I've read that it's just the liquid gunking up since it was a sweet one but the flavor was still good.

Well 70 PG is you're main problem first. That is for mouth to lung and not big cloud stuff and probably is high nic as well. I use max VG so about 80VG or more and only 3mg nic. I think you getting a bad taste is the liquid you're using not the mods. I generally drip and build my own but Mt. Baker had an AIO for .05, yep a nickel, so had to buy it. It's not a good lung mod, more MTL, but the flavor out of it is awesome. It's not that far off from the SMOK stick, to be honest.

You need to go higher VG and lower nic, you need to let the coils sit when new in a tank, to prime. I mean sit at least 15 minutes or longer. I'd suggest like someone else above mentioned, get a pod system and go 50/50 or higher VG. The other option is to take your rebuildable to a shop, buy some liquid from them, they'll help you build it.

ONLINE does not beat person to person interaction when building. In person you can learn a lot more of the little details, someone can point out what you may be doing wrong or what might be easier. A video can help but realize that 1mm up/down or in/out can make a huge difference in flavor, you can't tell that from a video. The amount of cotton in videos, looks like a lot compared to what you really need to use.

EDIT: You still haven't said or I missed it, what nic level are you using and what ohms have you built coils to?

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I am sympathetic, but also kind of worried for you, and I am also glad you found ECF.

First of all, get yourself to a doctor!!!!! I am sensitive to inhaled PG and can only handle a TINY amount in my vape, but to let it get to the point of SPITTING blood, well, no, don't do that. If you were smoking and that happened, you would go, right?

You do have a high PG level and that can lead to throat irritation. Couple that with a fixed wattage setup and your own (new to building coils) and the juice ratio you have chosen, I can see that vaping would be irritating and upsetting. I respect that you have done research, but sometimes ONE missing piece of the puzzle can play havoc with your vaping experience.

You are NOT ready to build coils is my guess, as you haven't even got ONE drop-in coil or cartomizer vape working for you yet, and that is where most people START. I'd suggest an easy going MTL setup with variable airflow and wattage, and easy, drop in coils. Don't shoot for large amounts of vapor, or doing it "cheapest" or "the pro" way or anything else, as you will be switching from cigarettes to vaping and that has tons of problems and issues going through detox on its own right.

You MUST find a juice that is right for you, both medically, and in the sense that you enjoy it, feel SOME satiation, and doesn't make you spit blood. What is your current nic level? You may need to raise OR lower it, but honestly, all of this should come AFTER seeing a doctor.

I think you are probably burning your coils and producing a hot vapor that is "toxic" to you, that and possibly too much nic or too much PG. When you vape, you produce VAPOR and it is a fine mist that should not be warm enough to cause discomfort.

As you have PROVEN by your first post, vaping CAN be DANGEROUS... .If you don't know enough about what you are doing. I'd suggest (if the doc agrees) putting yourself in the hands of an experienced vape shop, pay HIGHER prices at first (look for one that advertises itself more toward harm reduction, IMO) to HELP yourself get set up with a good starter setup and juices your body can tolerate.

All the other saving money, being able to do complex builds and etc. needs to come later, once you have stabilized vaping for yourself.

Don't be discouraged though, I arrived at ECF with an unsuitable setup and sx from nicotine overload, and by listening and learning, I was able to make vaping work for me. You can do it too, if you listen, absorb, SLOW down, accept that starting up can cost money, it won't be roses from the first vape, but if you stick WITH IT, it can be fantastic and you CAN save money as you move upward and make your own coils and juices.

PLEASE see a doctor, though.

Anna

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
It's 100% from vaping, when I was using the stick V8 it started hitting my throat really harsh, I tried again and it was so harsh I ended up coughing blood.

It used to happen with the stick but now that I'm apparently doing something wrong with my RTA it's happening again.

When I was smoking I have never cough blood and I don't have any medical condition, as I said it's just vaping being a little too complicated and noobs like me hitting a wall, in my case I hit the wall really hard lol.

And about " tons of research" I mean hours and hours of googling and reading forums watching videos etc

So far good posts appreciate all your views and insight.

That v8 stick I've never recommended to anyone. .. I had one, didn't like it, don't recommend it - but that's me. I think the smok stick runs at too high a wattage for the coils, and it's not adjustable. Some people don't have that problem, so I think quality control didn't control... lol.

When I started vaping I began on an ego battery with a ce4 clearo... it got me off the cigarettes and I used it almost two years before jumping into something more advanced.

After the ego I tried an xcube 2 with the tfv4 tank... I'm fairly certain I coughed up a lung on that... haha. Of course, I didn't make it through one tank before cleaning it up nice and packing it away - permanently. . Lol..

Then later, once a little more brave, I tried an innokin iTaste 134 mini and loved it...my first variable wattage device.

I went from there to a provari 2.5 with the Nautilus mini and heard angels sing. At that point I went ahead and got a p3 with a Kabuki tank (drop in coils).. and was perfectly happy with my vape.

It was at that point I tried a kayfun rta... and spent a few months learning how to build coils and wick - for me building coils was easy, it was learning how to wick that was more difficult and after a year of building I'm knowledgeable enough to build anything without difficulty. ..

The progression I went through, is the ladder most people go up before going on to advanced devices. .. I now have a tesla nano 120 and love it too..

But through the progression we learn a lot. Pick up things here and there, learn as we go.

Leave your rta building for some future point. When I got my son into vaping last year he took easily to advanced devices and sub ohm vaping, but he's not yet building his own coils - although he's starting somewhat.

Try a different atty, and juices that aren't coil killers... and stick with lower wattages for a while. It sounds like it would be better for you - at least for a while. Try something like the Nautilus 2 with the less expensive coils, vape around 8 to 10 watts... and just slow down.

Last edited:

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
I am sympathetic, but also kind of worried for you, and I am also glad you found ECF.

First of all, get yourself to a doctor!!!!! I am sensitive to inhaled PG and can only handle a TINY amount in my vape, but to let it get to the point of SPITTING blood, well, no, don't do that. If you were smoking and that happened, you would go, right?

You do have a high PG level and that can lead to throat irritation. Couple that with a fixed wattage setup and your own (new to building coils) and the juice ratio you have chosen, I can see that vaping would be irritating and upsetting. I respect that you have done research, but sometimes ONE missing piece of the puzzle can play havoc with your vaping experience.

You are NOT ready to build coils is my guess, as you haven't even got ONE drop-in coil or cartomizer vape working for you yet, and that is where most people START. I'd suggest an easy going MTL setup with variable airflow and wattage, and easy, drop in coils. Don't shoot for large amounts of vapor, or doing it "cheapest" or "the pro" way or anything else, as you will be switching from cigarettes to vaping and that has tons of problems and issues going through detox on its own right.

You MUST find a juice that is right for you, both medically, and in the sense that you enjoy it, feel SOME satiation, and doesn't make you spit blood. What is your current nic level? You may need to raise OR lower it, but honestly, all of this should come AFTER seeing a doctor.

I think you are probably burning your coils and producing a hot vapor that is "toxic" to you, that and possibly too much nic or too much PG. When you vape, you produce VAPOR and it is a fine mist that should not be warm enough to cause discomfort.

As you have PROVEN by your first post, vaping CAN be DANGEROUS... .If you don't know enough about what you are doing. I'd suggest (if the doc agrees) putting yourself in the hands of an experienced vape shop, pay HIGHER prices at first (look for one that advertises itself more toward harm reduction, IMO) to HELP yourself get set up with a good starter setup and juices your body can tolerate.

All the other saving money, being able to do complex builds and etc. needs to come later, once you have stabilized vaping for yourself.

Don't be discouraged though, I arrived at ECF with an unsuitable setup and sx from nicotine overload, and by listening and learning, I was able to make vaping work for me. You can do it too, if you listen, absorb, SLOW down, accept that starting up can cost money, it won't be roses from the first vape, but if you stick WITH IT, it can be fantastic and you CAN save money as you move upward and make your own coils and juices.

PLEASE see a doctor, though.

Anna

All this ^^^^^. Don't look at vaping to save money, look at it as a safer alternative to smoking. I haven't saved anything vaping but I'm always buying stuff, new liquids to try or gadgets, I love gadgets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread