Vaping is too complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caesar77

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2017
Where did you purchase the wire you are using to wrap coils with? Try different wire totally new and from a know good vendor. I buy coils and never have had problems, but is sounds like everything else has been discussed here except that.

:)
Bought it at a vape store, wich is part of the biggest vape franchise here.I thinkthey are trustworthy.

The brand is Vaportech.

Attachments

• 1514942736405-461008443.jpg
    1514942736405-461008443.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 33

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I mostly vape at 3mg since I vape a lot so I don't want to go overboard with the nicotine, but sometimes I use 6mg because my fav liquids at 3mg are out of stock.

Here is a pic of a "build" that I just did, I fired it at 10w after priming and and the smell is awful, it's supossed to be watermelon but it smells like rotten watermelon, I can't explain it, but just by the smell I can tell it will not be a good experience trying to vape on it.I know it's not perfect but I don't think I'm doing anything terribly wrong.I would appreciate if you gave me your opinion.

I live in europe btw not sure where are you from but I guess from USA, so we are pretty far away.
The first thing I noticed in these pic is the wire is super light in color as if they haven't been tested to see if hot legs exist. Before putting in the cotton, do you pulse fire it to see if they exist and the coil itself starts the glow from the most inner part first and then spreads to the outside? If you are not doing this, that is where the machine oil taste comes in.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Are you pre burning the coils before you wick, to get out hot spots? The pics don't look like you are. Also try coils that touch, no space between and do 5-7 wraps. Then prefire the coil before wicking, squeeze it with tweezers and then refire. Keep prefiring until it glows from center out, then let it cool wick and vape.

I think you aren't getting out the hotspots and are burning juice and wick when you try to vape. If you aren't sure what I'm saying, do a youtube search of removing coil hot spots also look up videos of twisted messes doing coils. Do go crazy like he does but look at how he gets everything going.
LOL we were both typing and thinking the same thing at the same time.

Reactions: papergoblin

Caesar77

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2017
Are you pre burning the coils before you wick, to get out hot spots? The pics don't look like you are. Also try coils that touch, no space between and do 5-7 wraps. Then prefire the coil before wicking, squeeze it with tweezers and then refire. Keep prefiring until it glows from center out, then let it cool wick and vape.

I think you aren't getting out the hotspots and are burning juice and wick when you try to vape. If you aren't sure what I'm saying, do a youtube search of removing coil hot spots also look up videos of twisted messes doing coils. Do go crazy like he does but look at how he gets everything going.

Yes I already do that.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia

It's a spaced coil he has in those pics. There shouldn't be any hotspots to work out.

Caesar77

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2017
The first thing I noticed in these pic is the wire is super light in color as if they haven't been tested to see if hot legs exist. Before putting in the cotton, do you pulse fire it to see if they exist and the coil itself starts the glow from the most inner part first and then spreads to the outside? If you are not doing this, that is where the machine oil taste comes in.

I do that and I also clean the wire before making the coil, that's why I am saying that I have already tried everything and I don't think there is much more that I can do.

High setups,low setups,dry burning/not dry burning,separate coils,parallel coils,cleaning the tank,lower wattage/higher wattage,working up the coil,and it's not a wicking problem since it smells bad from the start, after priming.

Reactions: stols001

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I do that and I also clean the wire before making the coil, that's why I am saying that I have already tried everything and I don't think there is much more that I can do.

High setups,low setups,dry burning/not dry burning,separate coils,parallel coils,cleaning the tank,lower wattage/higher wattage,working up the coil,and it's not a wicking problem since it smells bad from the start, after priming.
I am sorry to disagree but your coils do not look like they have been made to pulse and glow orange before wicking. Cleaning coils may not actually get all the machine oils off. Only pulse burning them can.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
True, but what about machine oils?

You bring up a good point...but not necessarily with the coil. I don't pre burn my coils anymore as they're spaced. I've never ran into a bad taste due to my wire.
But he said he switched to the Ammit tank. I wonder how clean he got that thing. I bought a couple Ammits for the wife awhile back and they needed a couple hours in the ultrasonic cleaner.

Caesar77

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2017
I am sorry to disagree but your coils do not look like they have been made to pulse and glow orange before wicking. Cleaning coils may not actually get all the machine oils off. Only pulse burning them can.

I meant my parallel coils, this one I didn't dry burn you are right.

I clean them with paper and alcohol water and soap, I use paper until no more black stuff comes out of the wire.

After that I use low wattage and short pulses to see if any smoke comes out of the wire, if it doesn't I go on.

But that's on parallel separate coils, parallel coils I always dry burn a little to make them compact and avoid hotspots.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I meant my parallel coils, this one I didn't dry burn you are right.

I clean them with paper and alcohol water and soap, I use paper until no more black stuff comes out of the wire.

After that I use low wattage and short pulses to see if any smoke comes out of the wire, if it doesn't I go on.

But that's on parallel separate coils, parallel coils I always dry burn a little to make them compact and avoid hotspots.
Maybe Asbestos4004, has a point. The tank you use is known for having machine oil when new.

Caesar77

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2017
You bring up a good point...but not necessarily with the coil. I don't pre burn my coils anymore as they're spaced. I've never ran into a bad taste due to my wire.
But he said he switched to the Ammit tank. I wonder how clean he got that thing. I bought a couple Ammits for the wife awhile back and they needed a couple hours in the ultrasonic cleaner.
Really?It might be it then.

I cleaned it with alcohol and water but maybe that wasn't enough.

Any recommendations about cleaning it?

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Really?It might be it then.

I cleaned it with alcohol and water but maybe that wasn't enough.

Any recommendations about cleaning it?
Take it apart as far as you can. If you don't have an ultrasonic cleaner, you might want to boil it a few times. Maybe a few drops of dawn soap in the first boil. Alcohol should've worked, but who knows?

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I mostly vape at 3mg since I vape a lot so I don't want to go overboard with the nicotine, but sometimes I use 6mg because my fav liquids at 3mg are out of stock.

Here is a pic of a "build" that I just did, I fired it at 10w after priming and and the smell is awful, it's supossed to be watermelon but it smells like rotten watermelon, I can't explain it, but just by the smell I can tell it will not be a good experience trying to vape on it.I know it's not perfect but I don't think I'm doing anything terribly wrong.I would appreciate if you gave me your opinion.

I live in europe btw not sure where are you from but I guess from USA, so we are pretty far away.
That's unfortunate about where we live....well personality I think vaping at 30 or 40 watts, I would like to see a few more wraps , and maybe not so spread out....maybe 6 or 7 wraps like asbestos mentioned. .another issue can be slightly to much cotton in the channels..it looks like you have the correct amount in coil, but maybe a bit to much down the ledge...there are 2 ways you can reduce tail amounts, for one reduce coil diameter to around 2.7 ish , which will automatically reduce tails, or before priming just thread wick into coil and then trim just the tail amounts. Just take a little bit off of bottom, top, and both sides. I would say reduce tails by 15 percent total...also the lenght of tails is important, you want them just touching lower section.. although I have heard of some having issues with machine oils on wires, it's never happened to me, all I have ever done was to heat coil a few times before wicking...besides that it's just trial and error and for a new rebuilder, that can be a pain....it's to bad we didn't live closer, for I know I could of worked out the best build for you.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Caesar77

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2017
Maybe Asbestos4004, has a point. The tank you use is known for having machine oil when new.

Damn, then that's probably it.
Forgot to mention, a dirty atomizer will make for an unpleasant vape. However, it won't make your tonsils fall out or spit blood. I still think there is a deeper issue going on with you.

Probably, I will take care of that but tye doctor will probably blame vaping when I tell him it started when my stick V8 gave me a very harsh throat hit and made me spit blood.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Caesar77

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2017
That's unfortunate about where we live....well personality I think vaping at 30 or 40 watts, I would like to see a few more wraps , and maybe not so spread out....maybe 6 or 7 wraps like asbestos mentioned. .another issue can be slightly to much cotton in the channels..it looks like you have the correct amount in coil, but maybe a bit to much down the ledge...there are 2 ways you can reduce tail amounts, for one reduce coil diameter to around 2.7 ish , which will automatically reduce tails, or before priming just thread wick into coil and then trim just the tail amounts. Just take a little bit off of bottom, top, and both sides. I would say reduce tails by 15 percent total...also the lenght of tails is important, you want them just touching lower section.. although I have heard of some having issues with machine oils on wires, it's never happened to me, all I have ever done was to heat coil a few times before wicking...besides that it's just trial and error and for a new rebuilder, that can be a pain....it's to bad we didn't live closer, for I know I could of worked out the best build for you.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yes I do know tails are too fat but the reason is that this cotton gets really swollen up when it absorbs the liquid when priming, and this time I guess I let too much cotton on the ledges even when they were varely touching the base before priming, but that's not the problem at all, because I didn't even hit it I just primed and waited a little then started at 10w to see how it smells and to work up the coil a little bit, and was awful I kept dropping some eliquid when necesary but it still smelled bad.So it's not a wicking problem.

Btw I will take opportunity to ask you how does the drip tip of your tank smell, because mine smells really weird and no it's not coming from acumulated wastes or anything like that.Should it smell good, like eliquid smel?

And yeah too bad about the distance but I appreciate your will to help me and all of your advice.

Last edited:

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
If you're coughing up blood something is very wrong. I've never heard of a vaper doing that in my years of vaping and being on vaping forums. I'd see a doctor about that asap.

Seriously... (thanks 440!!!!). :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread