Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
So I'm outside of Walmart vaping (away from the entrance... basically where the employees smoke... cig butts everywhere) This woman walks by, stops and says "aren't you afraid that will hurt you" and I go into the "it's safe, it actually has nothing to do with this" and then she says "because I was really interested in vaping" (I thought she was going to tell me to go in the parking lot or something... she actually wanted to quit smoking) So I explained the whole deal about THC carts and "contamination", the bed rep from news media, ect. and she as very interested. I told her to search the internet and find the truth (how they are finally telling the truth) She was so relived and thankful. I may have just helped someone get off cigs, someone that was very interested in vaping and got scared. Happy ending (I needed that) I wonder how many other people want to quit smoking and just got scared because of the media BS. Kinda made my day :D
What a great story! I hope she follows your advice! :)

avremele

Jul 29, 2019
Non sequitur. 1. I stated; "...who and why?" 2. It takes at least two people to comprise a conspiracy. 3. My comment is supported by the fact that there are/were contaminated liquids in circulation.

There is the possibility, that someone added a component to the liquid; which resulted in unanticipated injury. There is also the possibility, that someone (possibly more than one) added a component that was/is meant to cause injury. Either way, these events mandate FDA regulation, along with ATF enforcement.

If it were my call, I would ban the sale of all premixed e-liquids. DIY should be safe, as commercial flavor suppliers, including those would sell VG and PG, are likely already operating under FDA licensing. e.g. Wizard Labs.

The only person who has implied conspiracy here, is you. Tread carefully, as your contentious nature may get the better of you. Making false accusations is an act of slander.

Can I Sue Someone for Making a False Accusation?
He didn't name any names, he implied that he suspects there may be a conspiracy. I agree with him. I find it very suspicious that it happened simultaneously in several places as opposed to just one street dealer in one run down neighborhood.

Reactions: jcoopercam

KatlandKat

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2012
Vancouver Island BC Canada
There is a lot of crap on the internet. I'm not all that sure, but buying pre-filled cartridges that are made by tobacco companies really scares me.

I figure doing diy is about the safest. At least I can pick my sourcing for various juice and components.
Totally agree with this. I also DIY mix so I know exactly what is in them. Trusting others is not something I do anymore. We all know BT made cigarettes more addictive than they were. So what do they do .......sell pods with 50mg nic salts. That is just the nic wonder what else they do to make it taste better.

Great idea for cards ........ I think will do that. I am Deaf and trying to explain things to people that ask is not an easy thing for me. I can talk fine but can't understand people when they talk to me. I also have some issues with how to pronounce some of the words in order to explain what is going on. Last while all I say is .............You are being lied to.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Great idea for cards ........ I think will do that. I am Deaf and trying to explain things to people that ask is not an easy thing for me. I can talk fine but can't understand people when they talk to me. I also have some issues with how to pronounce some of the words in order to explain what is going on. Last while all I say is .............You are being lied to.

With the Avery template in Word, it is Super Easy to make Business Cards.

You can just use the Template on Card Stock and cut them yourself. Or you can get a Pack where the sheet is Perforated between the cards.

Avery Inkjet Clean Edge Two Side Printable Business Cards 2 Sided 2 x 3 12 White Matte Pack Of 200 - Office Depot

Reactions: Rossum

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
With the Avery template in Word, it is Super Easy to make Business Cards.

You can just use the Template on Card Stock and cut them yourself. Or you can get a Pack where the sheet is Perforated between the cards.
I’ve had terrible luck with proprietary systems like that. They generally don’t work at all unless you use the correct printer AND the correct software AND the correct paper AND the right sub programs on the machine. The costs wind up being high and there is generally a breakdown somewhere.
The only way I found to print what you want on what you want is to use GIMP, which is its own hairball.

iirc one of the issues with the Avery stuff is you MUST use chrome, which I won’t let near my machine.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I’ve had terrible luck with proprietary systems like that. They generally don’t work at all unless you use the correct printer AND the correct software AND the correct paper AND the right sub programs on the machine. The costs wind up being high and there is generally a breakdown somewhere.
The only way I found to print what you want on what you want is to use GIMP, which is its own hairball.

iirc one of the issues with the Avery stuff is you MUST use chrome, which I won’t let near my machine.

I have used Avery Word templates for Years. Everything for Yard Sale Price Stickers to Shipping/Letter Labels.

Never had any Problems what so ever.

• Agree

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
He didn't name any names, he implied that he suspects there may be a conspiracy. I agree with him. I find it very suspicious that it happened simultaneously in several places as opposed to just one street dealer in one run down neighborhood.
Time. Time and the internet. It wasn’t simultaneous. The media coverage was simultaneous. The government action was simultaneous. The actual injuries weren’t though. Vitamin e and MCE have been out for months and they ship in days.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Libel: Posting a Lie in Print
"Libel is another form of defamation that is subject to civil liability. Libel consists of statements made in print or through visual or Internet-based depictions that present false representations as they relate to an individual or organization's ethics or character. To prove allegations of libel, proof of the false and printed allegations or accusations must be presented along with evidence that the libelous statements were not only insulting or offensive, but defamatory and made with willful intent and with malice..."
And you must demonstrate tangible damages. It's not often that I defend @bombastinator, but expecting your anonymous forum nick to be protected by libel laws is imbecilic. Hard fail, armchair lawyer.

• Disagree
Reactions: jcoopercam

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Totally agree with this. I also DIY mix so I know exactly what is in them. Trusting others is not something I do anymore. We all know BT made cigarettes more addictive than they were. So what do they do .......sell pods with 50mg nic salts. That is just the nic wonder what else they do to make it taste better.
That's paranoia paired with historical ignorance. Enough with the vilification of highly-concentrated juice. Ever since vaping was originated we have been trying to fit a device into the form factor of a cigarette. For a long time we were limited by the energy density of battery cells. Once the cells improved it was still impractical to make small devices, because small devices take small sips of juice but must somehow produce the same dose per puff as a larger unit. That naturally requires a higher concentration of nic. Freebase is excessively harsh at such high concentrations, and NicSalt was the gift that enabled us to break the 24mg/mL barrier without killing our taste buds so we could finally have a satisfying cig-alike. If the dose per puff is equivalent then the concentration of the liquid is immaterial.

BT didn't invent NicSalts. They were invented by an American seller of e-juice who is now out of business. The founders of Juul copied his idea when they were a startup, and then BT later bought a minority share of Juul. The devices became popular not because they were more "addictive" than conventional devices, but because they were small, convenient, and fashionable.

The very idea of construing nicotine as being addictive is in itself a misconception. Nicotine causes a physical dependence while inflicting minimal harm. It's like caffeine. Calling it addictive is an insult to real addicts (eg. opioid or crack addicts) who are struggling to survive. It is a blatant attempt to emotionally manipulate laypeople by exaggerating the situation.

It is tempting to throw Juul and the specter of "BT" under the bus in the hope that it will somehow buy our grassroots community some goodwill on the part of legislators. But it undermines our cause. We stand together and a blow to one of us is a blow to all of us. The legislators are on the side of smoking for the moment, and we must oppose their short-sighted corruption.

Bliss Doubt

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2012
San Antonio
Vaping on a plane. That's my headline. I just got home today.

The hysteria has spread to Europe. When I asked my Portuguese tour guide if I could vape, he said "isn't that harmful?" I explained the black market THC/vitamin E oil scandal. I explained to him what is normally in ecigarettes, the pg which is the same carrier for nic as it is for medicine in asthma inhalers, the vg which has internal medical applications such as ear drops, eye drops, suppositories, etc. He said "but the flavorings can be harmful". I agreed with him that I do not know if a flavor, even if 100 percent clean and safe to eat, is safe to inhale, but I told him (the truth) that I vape only unflavored when I'm around others, so they are spared any potential harm from the flavorings. In the end, he became very relaxed about it, and told me to vape freely.

I vaped everywhere I went in Portugal and Spain, but I don't find stealth vaping very satisfying. I did it, in corners of restaurants, blowing the vapor sort of under my arm or down over my chest. I liked white tables, white walls, white curtains, because your vapor disappears there. I vaped freely outdoors.

I vaped on my Tap Portugal flight home. In business class you get your own playpen, shielded from view by a sort of armchair wing on the aisle, high seat back, and a darkened cabin on a night flight. I watched for flight attendants, and stopped when they came out from their curtained area. They weren't looking for vapers or vapor, even though the pre-flight announcements included "smoking is not allowed on the aircraft, including electronic cigarettes", in both Portuguese and English.

I'm not recommending that anyone vape on a plane, not at all. I don't want anybody to have an air marshall waiting for them when they come off the plane. I just wanted to see if an onboard computer could read my device in use, or if my vapor would cause an alarm to go off, and if other travelers could remain oblivious to my habit. I couldn't have gotten away with this in the economy cabin, but I had a very satisfying experience in business class, vaping unflavored after the gourmet dinner with excellent wine, having a vape after waking from a flight nap, feeling at home, feeling fine.

I took 30 ml. liquid with me for a 9 day trip. You don't vape as much when you're walking around, sight seeing, hiking the caminos, but after stealth vaping at meals, and freely vaping during the evenings in my hotel rooms, I got home with 2-3 ml. remaining in the bottle. It's a good thing it lasted, because I saw zero vape shops in the towns I visited on the Camino Portugues and the Camino Frances, which are less traveled portions of the Camino Santiago de Compostela.

Bliss Doubt

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2012
San Antonio
Let me add that I vaped all over the airports during the waits for flights or the stopover, in the US (Newark) and abroad (Porto airport). There is always an abandoned gate with the lights out, when that gate is between flights, and I found there just aren't any airport authorities patrolling for vapers, or even for smokers, at least none that I could notice, and I was looking for them.

Reactions: GOMuniEsq

Bliss Doubt

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2012
San Antonio
I wonder how many other people want to quit smoking and just got scared because of the media BS. Kinda made my day :D

There are many travesties to the mass media attitude toward vaping, always chasing the scandal, always believing it's some new dangerous thing being sold to teens, never interviewing any of us who have used vaping to quit cigarettes permanently, who have healed our lungs and regained our health. The first travesty is all the people who could yet be delivered from tobacco illness and death. The next is the imminent loss of US small businesses and jobs in the sales of vape equipment and liquids, including imaginative original brews and common flavors.

Then there are the demagogues on soapboxes, our elected so-called leaders, using our taxes against us. Legitimate vape sellers are not even allowed to market vaping as a smoking cessation method, lest they get a warning notice from the FDA.

Some days I don't even want to get out of bed.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread