Vaping outside of Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Seems so, and would have been, but with limited access to the stuff we had available pre-ban, a noob will have very few options and less chance for success. I'm hopeful, but not optimistic.

There is a flip side to that coin.

Imagine that lady walking into a vape shop with $22 to spend. And only $22. Yet she sees 64 types of mods, pods, a wall of different juice flavors and some guy behind the counter billowing out a giant cloud as he says "can I help you?" That lady might see all those options as over whelming and decide to keep on smoking because it's just easier.

Fast forward a few months…think vape appocolypse did occur. Well it would be like going back in time to days where no vape stores existed. And tobacco stores sold those "cig-a-likes" because that's all there were back then. That lady could easily decide to try a Vuse or other simple to use device. And her little $22 would be spent on a vaper instead of cigarettes.

Most of my vaper comrads started with a cig-a-like and still use them.

Reactions: Eskie

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
The ending has yet to unravel. She may be on here in a years time moaning about her plastic wrapped teeth and the fool who talked her into vaping outside Walmart one day.
She was already interested in vaping. I didn't talk her into it, just told her not to fear it.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
She might have bought a Vuse Alto right there in Walmart (I noticed they still sell those but nothing else vape related) What I am hoping is that she did some research, learned the truth and is now spreading the word to others. It's like that "butterfly effect" thing. I know... I'm a dreamer, but what if those other people told more people and so on (I may have affected hundreds of people) or maybe the first person she mentioned it to went totally ballistic and put even more fear into her and said don't trust some fool you just met outside of walmart.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Most do. Whether we will get one is another question of course. That we will have to fight for even a chance of a partial one isn’t even a question.

It's already a sad ending. Even if the shake out leaves sealed mods and plastic tanks which get chucked after the coil dies that's still a net loss, especially to those of us used to a far different vaping experience. Unlike other preppers with chemical toilets, cases of glow sticks, and stashes of not so terrific long term food stuffs and MREs, along with ammo, I have no doubt I will have to use my apocalypse gear. Hell, even if we end up with something once viewed as burdensome but now looking attractive to our alternatives like the TPD regulations, most of us would still be figuring out workarounds.

And of course, productive innovation will grind to a halt as anything new will be such a roll of the dice that only BT will be able to play, and they're not coming out with a new DNA squonk box for us.

There is a flip side to that coin.

Imagine that lady walking into a vape shop with $22 to spend. And only $22. Yet she sees 64 types of mods, pods, a wall of different juice flavors and some guy behind the counter billowing out a giant cloud as he says "can I help you?" That lady might see all those options as over whelming and decide to keep on smoking because it's just easier.

Fast forward a few months…think vape appocolypse did occur. Well it would be like going back in time to days where no vape stores existed. And tobacco stores sold those "cig-a-likes" because that's all there were back then. That lady could easily decide to try a Vuse or other simple to use device. And her little $22 would be spent on a vaper instead of cigarettes.

Most of my vaper comrads started with a cig-a-like and still use them.

Sad thing is, for that very low price tag you picked, she could have gotten a cigalike in Walmart at a good price to get tared, but Walmart will no longer sell any vape related products, including tobacco flavored cigalikes. And you are correct, I like many here started with a cigalike and rolled that success into a real vaping experience and time consumer hobby.

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
Who? Anyone stupid. It doesn’t have to be a conspiracy. Occam’s razor implies any number of random sloppy fools.

Why? Because sloppiness, ignorance, or greed. In any order or combination.
Do you also wait for the Great Pumpkin to arrive on Halloween? Idiot.

• Disagree
Reactions: GOMuniEsq

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Do you also wait for the Great Pumpkin to arrive on Halloween? Idiot.
No. I also don’t generally make bizarre non sequitur insults. There’s a reason people make fun of conspiracy theories. People don’t work like that. Yes they’re more fun, but a vast evil conspiracy is very rarely ever accomplished. They’re ridiculously fragile.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I had not heard of the Vick’s oil based nose drops thing. I’m too young (how often does THAT happen any more, hehe) anyway, it sounds like a very interesting thing to look at. There was publicly available science back then.

Back in the 60s Vicks nose drops had an oily base. Doctors began to connect lung issues with the oil in the drops. My mother worked in a doctors office back then. The medical community began to associate persistent lung issues with patients who told them they used Vicks. Later, Vicks changed to a more water soluble mix that contained menthol and eucalyptus oil. Go figure. My experience may have been local to my doctor at that time.

For some reason, I can't find an article that talks about the issue from that era. There are many articles that recommend oil based noise drops, though. What goes around comes around.

Last edited:

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
No. I also don’t generally make bizarre non sequitur insults. There’s a reason people make fun of conspiracy theories. People don’t work like that. Yes they’re more fun, but a vast evil conspiracy is very rarely ever accomplished. They’re ridiculously fragile.
Non sequitur. 1. I stated; "...who and why?" 2. It takes at least two people to comprise a conspiracy. 3. My comment is supported by the fact that there are/were contaminated liquids in circulation.

There is the possibility, that someone added a component to the liquid; which resulted in unanticipated injury. There is also the possibility, that someone (possibly more than one) added a component that was/is meant to cause injury. Either way, these events mandate FDA regulation, along with ATF enforcement.

If it were my call, I would ban the sale of all premixed e-liquids. DIY should be safe, as commercial flavor suppliers, including those would sell VG and PG, are likely already operating under FDA licensing. e.g. Wizard Labs.

The only person who has implied conspiracy here, is you. Tread carefully, as your contentious nature may get the better of you. Making false accusations is an act of slander.

https://legalbeagle.com/8515606-can-someone-making-false-accusation.html

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Non sequitur. 1. I stated; "...who and why?" 2. It takes at least two people to comprise a conspiracy. 3. My comment is supported by the fact that there are/were contaminated liquids in circulation.

There is the possibility, that someone added a component to the liquid; which resulted in unanticipated injury. There is also the possibility, that someone (possibly more than one) added a component that was/is meant to cause injury. Either way, these events mandate FDA regulation, along with ATF enforcement.

If it were my call, I would ban the sale of all premixed e-liquids. DIY should be safe, as flavor suppliers, including those would sell VG and PG, are likely already operating under FDA licensing. i.e. Wizard Labs.

The only person who has implied conspiracy here, is you.
I didn’t imply one. I stated that it seemed like one was being implied. I don’t think it was actually implied by you personally. That was done later by other posts building off your question. The problem is the length of the thread and the definition of “here”. Your post is quite early in the thread but it extends farther. Your question looks to me like it was being drawn into a conspiracy implication by others. You merely raised a question. I attempted to answer it then spoke more generally.
Tread carefully, as your contentious nature may get the better of you. Making unfounded accusations is an act of slander.

oooh. Threats. I can see why this might happen. I was looking at the tread as a whole, you are looking at only your post in it. A difference of view.

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Just a general-ism to toss in. We are all passionate about this because we vape. But yea, I am an Occam's Razor kind of guy (to the best of my ability, I am biased at times like everyone else), and we are in this deep doo-doo because of jumping to conclusions and theories, some of those from officials, much of those from pundits, that got pushed to the public/politicians via the media, to the public and politicians that are in a rush to jump on 'that sounds like truth to me' way too early.

It is good to see that as the CDC has been given more time, the arrow is pointing away from vaping legit juice, but we are still a long way off from knowing if contamination was intentional vs just plain old greed/stupidity possible motives of those involved in tainted black market carts. I am going to take a let's wait and see attitude on that too.

• Agree
Reactions: KatlandKat

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
I didn’t imply one. I stated that it seemed like one was being implied. I don’t think it was actually implied by you personally. That was done later by other posts building off your question. The problem is the length of the thread and the definition of “here”. Your post is quite early in the thread but it extends farther. Your question looks to me like it was being drawn into a conspiracy implication by others. You merely raised a question. I attempted to answer it then spoke more generally.

oooh. Threats. I can see why this might happen. I was looking at the tread as a whole, you are looking at only your post in it. A difference of view.
First, you imply that I am engaging in conspiracy theory ... which is incorrect. Now, you imply that I'm engaging in threats ... which is also incorrect.

My incipient slander reference was somewhat incorrect. Slander is limited to oral statements.

Libel: Posting a Lie in Print
"Libel is another form of defamation that is subject to civil liability. Libel consists of statements made in print or through visual or Internet-based depictions that present false representations as they relate to an individual or organization's ethics or character. To prove allegations of libel, proof of the false and printed allegations or accusations must be presented along with evidence that the libelous statements were not only insulting or offensive, but defamatory and made with willful intent and with malice..."

Please, do continue...

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: GOMuniEsq

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
First, you imply that I am engaging in conspiracy theory ... which is incorrect.
no. I said in the return reply that the thread was moving in that direction. You may want to read it again.
Now, you imply that I'm engaging in threats ... which is also incorrect.
slander is a legal infraction. Legal Dictionary - Law.com
It sounded a whole heckuva lot like you were threatening legal action. I qualify that as a threat.
My incipient slander reference was somewhat incorrect. Slander is limited to oral statements.

Libel: Posting a Lie in Print
"Libel is another form of defamation that is subject to civil liability. Libel consists of statements made in print or through visual or Internet-based depictions that present false representations as they relate to an individual or organization's ethics or character. To prove allegations of libel, proof of the false and printed allegations or accusations must be presented along with evidence that the libelous statements were not only insulting or offensive, but defamatory and made with willful intent and with malice..."

Please, do continue...
So an empty one then.
Just a general-ism to toss in. We are all passionate about this because we vape. But yea, I am an Occam's Razor kind of guy (to the best of my ability, I am biased at times like everyone else), and we are in this deep doo-doo because of jumping to conclusions and theories, some of those from officials, much of those from pundits, that got pushed to the public/politicians via the media, to the public and politicians that are in a rush to jump on 'that sounds like truth to me' way too early.

It is good to see that as the CDC has been given more time, the arrow is pointing away from vaping legit juice, but we are still a long way off from knowing if contamination was intentional vs just plain old greed/stupidity possible motives of those involved in tainted black market carts. I am going to take a let's wait and see attitude on that too.

• Agree
Reactions: Nermal

Unforeseen

Admin<br> Commercial/Suppliers Asst. Manager </br>
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2011
Where you least expect it....
Hello ECF members,

Just a reminder but please remember to stay civil during discussions on the forum. Any continuation of such actions on this thread may result in action being taken against your account. Also, please refer to the rules before posting:

Forum Rules

UN

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Given this was at Walmart, I'm surprised the person telling you vaping kills wasn't puffing on a cigarette, on one of the store scooters, weighing over 400 lbs with a small child unsecured inside the basket. I'm almost shocked, actually.
Oh, it gets much much worse. Google “crazy Walmart people” and choose images.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread