Vaping side effects? Worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

unfaithful

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2011
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

So I've been vaping quite heavily last night and when I woke up this morning I felt really congested, like when I used to smoke analogs. My chest feels a bit tight and I feel like I can't take a full breath and have to yawn all the time. My heart rate is quite fast too. I'm a bit worried. I've only been vaping for a week, so maybe its just my body getting used to vaping? I only vape on 18mg pg juice. This started happening when I got my ego yesterday.

leftfeild

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2011
Scotland
I have the same symptoms if I've vaped too much. Your body is your own so I can't give sound advice based on the way mine reacts.

I also vape 18mg and I am considering lowering that because I get heart palpitation from it. I can't say it is the nicotine or anything else in the e-liquids. It's a similar feeling as when I've had too much coffee in a day.

I also get the heavy lungs feeling which at the moment I am assuming is due to an intolerance to PG or nicotine irritating them. I'm currently switching between VG and PG over periods of time to monitor how my body reacts to them. Once I'm through enough 18mg juice to warrant the purchase of more I will be buying lower than 18mg juice and monitoring again.

It could be too much nicotine, in which case consider a lower nic juice or a 0mg juice if you know you will be vaping a lot over certain periods or try to use PG or VG juices and monitor yourself for changes.

You're not alone in the symptoms you have described. When I get the same ones I will vape less for the next few days and drink more water. I hope it wont be a persistant problem for you.

unfaithful

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2011
United Kingdom
I have the same symptoms if I've vaped too much. Your body is your own so I can't give sound advice based on the way mine reacts.

I also vape 18mg and I am considering lowering that because I get heart palpitation from it. I can't say it is the nicotine or anything else in the e-liquids. It's a similar feeling as when I've had too much coffee in a day.

I also get the heavy lungs feeling which at the moment I am assuming is due to an intolerance to PG or nicotine irritating them. I'm currently switching between VG and PG over periods of time to monitor how my body reacts to them. Once I'm through enough 18mg juice to warrant the purchase of more I will be buying lower than 18mg juice and monitoring again.

It could be too much nicotine, in which case consider a lower nic juice or a 0mg juice if you know you will be vaping a lot over certain periods or try to use PG or VG juices and monitor yourself for changes.

You're not alone in the symptoms you have described. When I get the same ones I will vape less for the next few days and drink more water. I hope it wont be a persistant problem for you.

Yeah, I'm sure I saw something about allergy to PG in another forum. I will defo be ordering 0 and low nic strenght juice and vg, was gonna do it yesterday, but menthol was out of stock lol.

revolver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Buenos Aires
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...hen-quitting-tobacco-changing-ecigarette.html

This is a link to a list of common symptoms involved in the transition to e-cig...

Many of those may be associated with tobacco abstinence...

Some with 'adapting to vaping...'

Drinking water helps... For the most part.

And while a minor group of symptoms sound natural, once you are done with the transition process you should be ok. Nevertheless...

Many of the times the symptoms of too much/ less nic may be similar, as in abstinence and OD are similarly manifested ... So you should be careful and lower your nic or vape for shorter sessions (sometimes we do not realize and we do take a lot of nic...). Remember each person's organism is different and the 'magic formula' when it comes to the nic level is to be found by each one. 1,8% nic may be way too much for many if you chain vape.
Another thing you should take into account is that as we vape we DO certainly go for a big new 'effort' much more 'intense' than with analogs; we suck for longer periods, and this could even translate into being more tense physically, and may lead to headaches, and many other symptoms in return to being sucking up this new way which involves much more 'tightness', pressure and energy, mostly when starting...

Since you have woken up this way sounds like it is not OD, mostly maybe abstinence from nic-IMAOs which may have those symptoms according to some doctors. Then again, it could also be associated with the quitting process.

Also, take into account that many of us are a bit hypochondriac and this could translate into, or intensify these type of symptoms, also possibly since being away from the chemical and anti-depressants found in tobacco and thus in abstinence; together with the typical instinctive "fears" associated naturally with a 'new thing', may very well result in "paranoia" and in very real physical symptoms.

It is very common to be doing too much nic at first !!!!!!
Lower your nic and move on from there... Eventually, increase the level...
Also: remain calm... Trust me...!

=)

Last edited:

unfaithful

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2011
United Kingdom
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...hen-quitting-tobacco-changing-ecigarette.html

This is a link to a list of common symptoms involved in the transition to e-cig...

Many of those may be associated with tobacco abstinence...

Some with 'adapting to vaping...'

Drinking water helps... For the most part.

And while a minor group of symptoms sound natural, once you are done with the transition process you should be ok. Nevertheless...

Many of the times the symptoms of too much/ less nic may be similar, as in abstinence and OD are similarly manifested ... So you should be careful and lower your nic or vape for shorter sessions (sometimes we do not realize and we do take a lot of nic...). Remember each person's organism is different and the 'magic formula' when it comes to the nic level is to be found by each one. 1,8% nic may be way too much for many if you chain vape.
Another thing you should take into account is that as we vape we DO certainly go for a big new 'effort' much more 'intense' than with analogs; we suck for longer periods, and this could even translate into being more tense physically, and may lead to headaches, and many other symptoms in return to being sucking up this new way which involves much more 'tightness', pressure and energy, mostly when starting...

Since you have woken up this way sounds like it is not OD, mostly maybe abstinence from nic-IMAOs which may have those symptoms according to some doctors. Then again, it could also be associated with the quitting process.

Also, take into account that many of us are a bit hypochondriac and this could translate into, or intensify these type of symptoms, also possibly since being away from the chemical and anti-depressants found in tobacco and thus in abstinence; together with the typical instinctive "fears" associated naturally with a 'new thing', may very well result in "paranoia" and in very real physical symptoms.

It is very common to be doing too much nic at first !!!!!!
Lower your nic and move on from there... Eventually, increase the level...
Also: remain calm... Trust me...!

=)

Phew... Your thread really calmed me down. I just ordered a 0nic and 90% VG juice, in case I'm allergic to pg. Ill try switching and see how I feel. Thanks!

revolver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Buenos Aires
Haa. It was written all over the fact that you were in a state of panic!

PG is made from non-organic sources; therefore: allergies are not reported!

You should consider that there is no "heaviness" feeling associated with vaping as in when you smoke, so this, together with the fact that you dont get a feedback on when you are done, will very likely result in over-doing it...

Again, You have to "learn to feel" this. It is part of the vaping arts. It is ok to be on the safe side. Just do not get too alarmed and panic. ODing will give you a physical warning... If you feel you had too much nic... Put your PV down for an hour or so... And DO NOT over react. Also bear in mind that quitting tobacco's effects DO go a long way and it is natural to associate them with vaping. The whole process of transition and getting used to this does translate its symptoms but mostly is the symptoms of quitting.

If you lower your nic/ have shorter vaping sessions... You WILL survive!
Eventually you will find the right level and rythms will become more of a second nature.

=)

PS: How's your boyfriend getting used to your new habit?

Last edited:

MissP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2011
Land of Southern Belles :)
Just my two cents... the first 10 days of vaping when I quit cigarettes I had a heavy, hard to take a deep breath, heart racing feeling just like that. I contribute it to withdrawl from the cigarettes. It DID get better!!! I never changed my nic levels or my pg/vg ratios. Your body is cleansing itself!

Think of it kinda like when you exercise for the first time after being a couch potato. Your muscles will hurt. Your lungs are starting the healing and strengthing process... and dont be alarmed, but coughing up will be on your menu too!

Good luck and STICK WITH IT!!! You can do it!! :)

unfaithful

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2011
United Kingdom
Haa. It was written all over the fact that you were in a state of panic!

PG is made from non-organic sources; therefore: allergies are not reported!

You should consider that there is no "heaviness" feeling associated with vaping as in when you smoke, so this, together with the fact that you dont get a feedback on when you are done, will very likely result in over-doing it...

Again, You have to "learn to feel" this. It is part of the vaping arts. It is ok to be on the safe side. Just do not get too alarmed and panic. ODing will give you a physical warning... If you feel you had too much nic... Put your PV down for an hour or so... And DO NOT over react. Also bear in mind that quitting tobacco's effects DO go a long way and it is natural to associate them with vaping. The whole process of transition and getting used to this does translate its symptoms but mostly is the symptoms of quitting.

If you lower your nic/ have shorter vaping sessions... You WILL survive!
Eventually you will find the right level and rythms will become more of a second nature.

=)

PS: How's your boyfriend getting used to your new habit?

Well, hes happy for me, but not too impressed. He wants me to give up vaping as well, pfft. But. Im actually thinking about starting up my own business as a supplier, so now he's started making a website for me and I have an excuse to talk about vaping! I think I got him on my side now lol.

unfaithful

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2011
United Kingdom
Just my two cents... the first 10 days of vaping when I quit cigarettes I had a heavy, hard to take a deep breath, heart racing feeling just like that. I contribute it to withdrawl from the cigarettes. It DID get better!!! I never changed my nic levels or my pg/vg ratios. Your body is cleansing itself!

Think of it kinda like when you exercise for the first time after being a couch potato. Your muscles will hurt. Your lungs are starting the healing and strengthing process... and dont be alarmed, but coughing up will be on your menu too!

Good luck and STICK WITH IT!!! You can do it!! :)

Omg! Thank you for your support! I know, I was reading about symptoms related to smoking abstinence and what I have is quite common. It shouldn't last long. :) But I got 0nic juice just to be on the safe side, as I find I chain vape in the evenings a lot.

revolver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Buenos Aires
Well, hes happy for me, but not too impressed. He wants me to give up vaping as well, pfft. But. Im actually thinking about starting up my own business as a supplier, so now he's started making a website for me and I have an excuse to talk about vaping! I think I got him on my side now lol.

Huuuuuaaaaah!

This may also be part of your 'new addiction'; feeling like talking about vaping 24/7... Hopefully you can turn this into something very functional as in this business idea. Good luck! And Remember me when you become a PV-Queen... (Heeee!)

And when I mentioned that PG was not reported as associated with allergies... Well, it is not PROVEN that PG may be the cause behind many symptoms, but you could switch to VG and rule this out in any given case.

Last edited:

MissP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2011
Land of Southern Belles :)
Omg! Thank you for your support! I know, I was reading about symptoms related to smoking abstinence and what I have is quite common. It shouldn't last long. But I got 0nic juice just to be on the safe side, as I find I chain vape in the evenings a lot.

I am now down to 10 mg nicotine from 25 three months ago. I keep some higher nicotine around for when I have a 'stinky craving' but those are getting few and far between now.

Just make sure when you are vaping the 0nic, you keep some nic handy for the sudden urges because they will hit. Nicotine withdrawl can make you edgy, restless, ect......

LOL.. and I am a heavy vaper.. I go thru 6 mil a day no matter the nicotine levels (although I can give myself a headache with higher nicotine within a matter of minutes). I think I crave the flavors and the feeling of smoking more so than the nicotine now. That is why I keep different levels around :)

bander68

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Conroe, TX
During my first month of vaping/non-smoking, I kept having these random moments when my chest got very tight. I nearly drove myself to the emergency room a couple of times, convinced I was having a heart-attack. I put the pv down in those cases and the pain subsided. At that time I was vaping 80/20 pg/vg chinese juice. I found a better vendor (bwb) who mixes 70/30 ratios and my pains have disappeared. I've dropped from my original 24mg down to 18mg. A couple of days ago, I broke out some 24mg juice and guess what happened-the chest pains returned after a2 month absence. My take is: it's a combo of quitting and the right nic level for you.

unfaithful

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2011
United Kingdom
During my first month of vaping/non-smoking, I kept having these random moments when my chest got very tight. I nearly drove myself to the emergency room a couple of times, convinced I was having a heart-attack. I put the pv down in those cases and the pain subsided. At that time I was vaping 80/20 pg/vg chinese juice. I found a better vendor (bwb) who mixes 70/30 ratios and my pains have disappeared. I've dropped from my original 24mg down to 18mg. A couple of days ago, I broke out some 24mg juice and guess what happened-the chest pains returned after a2 month absence. My take is: it's a combo of quitting and the right nic level for you.

I was thinking I might have a heart attack too, lol. Crazy stuff. So what do you think Im better of switching to from 18mg? 11 or 6mg?

Linden

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2011
Michigan,USA
"Since you have woken up this way sounds like it is not OD, mostly maybe abstinence from nic-IMAOs which may have those symptoms according to some doctors. Then again, it could also be associated with the quitting process."

I agree. It is very hard to differentiate between quit symptoms and 'new vaper' symptoms. Its a good idea to pay close attention but maintain some skepticism that it is the vaping...smoking analogs takes a toll and each of us recover in our own ways.

bander68

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Conroe, TX
I was thinking I might have a heart attack too, lol. Crazy stuff. So what do you think Im better of switching to from 18mg? 11 or 6mg?

that's a tough call. I think each person has to balance those concerns about pains with the nic level that will keep you from craving analogs. Somebody here told me to "go with the highest nic level you can handle". It has worked for me. I'm coming up on 100 days analog-free, i'm steadily vaping 18mg, and I don't know or care when I switch down in mg. You? Just be honest with yourself and don't feel like there's any pressure to drop your nic level in any set amount of time. We're all different.

dput

Moved On
ECF Veteran
I think one thing that needs to be looked into are the flavor extracts. I wonder how many of these so-called "PG allergies" are from the extracts. PG has been thoroughly researched, but the extracts are another story. Do we really know what's in these extracts? Oh, and the vast majority of extracts are based in PG which is why it is very hard to get 100% VG juice. Just something to think about. Most everybody is using the same extracts in their mixes.

revolver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Buenos Aires
While the long term effects of vaping are yet to be determined, it is fair to make the assumption it is pretty much on the safe side, from the data we do have and a systematic medical hermeneutics on the possibilities.
Flavourings and aromas ARE the main concern...
Again... Scientific Research will be carried out, eventually, and in the mean time we should not over worry, for we may rely on the facts which sensibly translate into the logical assumption it is safe. And, for the most part, because it certainly is way way safer than tobacco.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread