Vaping side effects? Worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
I chain vape and started taking blood pressure meds about one month ago, not bad BP but doc. wanted me to take it. Anyway I check it at home several times a day to see how the meds are working and have found that it is 120/80 or lowers in the morning and goes up all day (chain vaping) and is at its highest when I go to bed. 155/90 so it seems like vaping does effect my BP. I don't know what else would cause this. If I cut down my vaping or use lower nic. juice it doesn't go as high in the evening. So it maybe the nic, don't know??.

My understanding from my doctor is that nicotine does slightly increase heart rate an blood pressure. But the effects are greatly exaggerated to the general public. Chaulk it up to the fear-based society we live in.

If you drink alcohol and are concerned about BP. Put down the alcohol, not the ecig.

HTH,
Dave

wyojoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2011
Wyoming
My understanding from my doctor is that nicotine does slightly increase heart rate an blood pressure. But the effects are greatly exaggerated to the general public. Chaulk it up to the fear-based society we live in.

If you drink alcohol and are concerned about BP. Put down the alcohol, not the ecig.

HTH,
Dave
Are you saying alky will raise your BP?? I do believe that nic does raise BP from my experience, but not off the charts, and e-cigs are alot better for you than the real cigs, no tar and all the other bad stuff.

CraigHB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Reno, Nevada
I'm not sure how so many people miss this since I feel like it's said all over the place, but nicotine is relatively non-addictive by itself. Without the MAOI components in tobacco to help change the way the brain reacts to nicotine, it seems to be about as addictive as caffeine, or even less for some people.

I agree. I've found I can vape 0mg juice without much discomfort. I have no desire to eliminate nicotine so I don't, but I could pretty easily if I had to.

Big tobacco has spent huge amounts of money for many years figuring out how to make cigs as addictive as possible. I honestly believe they use secret formula and special secret additives to purposely make them as addictive as they are. Vaping is not nearly as addictive. When I was a smoker, I'd be looking for a way to sneak in a smoke every half hour or so. With vaping, I sometimes go hours before I realize I have not vaped for a while.

I've had issue with juices high in PG. It can be an irritant for me. Also, I vape a lot, about 8ml a day. Some time ago, I switched to a mix higher in VG content and I have much less issue.

One thing you have to keep in mind when talking about vaping side effects is that the cigs we were smoking contain thousands of harmful chemicals almost a hundred of which are carcinogens. Vaping involves only a few, none of which are carcinogens and everything but the nicotine is classified as generally safe. So, for any of us that were willing to accept the risk of smoking, we should have no problem with the risk of vaping. Just looking at the chemicals involved, it's orders of magnitude safer.

For new vapors, getting the nicotine level right is the biggest hurdle. I know I got too much more than I didn't get enough when I first started. You can get some strange side effects from getting too much nic, some of which the OP was complaining about. However, some people do have a sensitivity to the PG or VG in the juice. Usually, it's the PG people have problems with, but that's an easy fix, use a high VG or even an all VG e-liquid.

Critter Man

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2010
Minnesota
Big tobacco has spent huge amounts of money for many years figuring out how to make cigs as addictive as possible. I honestly believe they use secret formula and special secret additives to purposely make them as addictive as they are. Vaping is not nearly as addictive.

I found that, after switching to additive free tobacco, that I could go for much longer between smokes without getting cravings. It's actually no secret that they do this. Cigarettes will affect your BP and heart rate more than vaping simply because there are more things in them that affect your BP and heart rate. Nicotine alone is not likely to cause a health risk unless there are other factors that are already causing high BP and irregular heart beats. No drug acts on the body by itself, and combinations of drugs and/or health conditions can mean that nicotine can add to problems. I guess my main thought on the blood pressure thing is that anyone over 30 should check their BP occasionally, at least four times a year. Heart disease is something all of us who have smoked for years will always have to watch out for.

That and taking a break from vaping when you get symptoms of nicotine overdose.

wdave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
one alcoholic drink a day will lower your bp over time. If you need the nicotine, try to cut out extra salt and caffeine as much as possible and that will help your bp. :)

Hmmm... Last time I was at a wedding, the people drinking a lot all had red faces :) Do you have any experience getting a before drinking and after drinking test of your blood pressure?

Critter Man

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2010
Minnesota
Hmmm... Last time I was at a wedding, the people drinking a lot all had red faces :) Do you have any experience getting a before drinking and after drinking test of your blood pressure?

The red skin you tend to see on the faces actually has more to do with flushing than increased blood pressure. Alcohol can increase blood pressure with long term abuse (alcoholism), but not through normal consumption.

stillalive

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2011
USA

Drinking briefly raises your blood pressure and heart rate (with the first drink or two) in a way that seems to be similar to exercise. If you drink regularly in moderation (1 drink per day for ladies, 2 per day for guys) you can lower your bp overall. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread