Status
Not open for further replies.

wdave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
Hi guys,

So I've been vaping quite heavily last night and when I woke up this morning I felt really congested, like when I used to smoke analogs. My chest feels a bit tight and I feel like I can't take a full breath and have to yawn all the time. My heart rate is quite fast too. I'm a bit worried. I've only been vaping for a week, so maybe its just my body getting used to vaping? I only vape on 18mg pg juice. This started happening when I got my ego yesterday.

Find a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) on PG. You will find that your symptoms are not unique. Getting too much PG is not good. That's why it is important to not starve oneself of nicotine. Chain vaping PG should be avoided.

HTH,
Dave

unfaithful

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2011
United Kingdom
Find a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) on PG. You will find that your symptoms are not unique. Getting too much PG is not good. That's why it is important to not starve oneself of nicotine. Chain vaping PG should be avoided.

HTH,
Dave

Omg, what the hell. I just found the sheet, and it has stuff like "Do not breathe gas/fumes/ vapor/spray.", also "If inhaled, remove to fresh air. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.". Does that mean I need to get an oxygen mask or something? lol. This is a bit worrying, everyone says its safe. I dont think my liquids are 100%pg. They are all quite thick, I believe there is a small amount of vg in there even if its stated as pg in suppliers website. I got some new juice few days ago and they seem very runny and light. I think they might have a higher concentration of PG than my other juices. The symptoms began as soon as I started trying out those new flavours.

Last edited:

wdave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
Omg, what the hell. I just found the sheet, and it has stuff like "Do not breathe gas/fumes/ vapor/spray.", also "If inhaled, remove to fresh air. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.". Does that mean I need to get an oxygen mask or something? lol. This is a bit worrying, everyone says its safe. I dont think my liquids are 100%pg. They are all quite thick, I believe there is a small amount of vg in there even if its stated as pg in suppliers website. I got some new juice few days ago and they seem very runny and light. I think they might have a higher concentration of PG than my other juices. The symptoms began as soon as I started trying out those new flavours.

You are probably looking at the MSDS on industrial strength PV. We use a much less potent PG, however it can still make you sick if you get too much of it.

HTH,
Dave

unfaithful

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2011
United Kingdom
I dont know whats going on with me. I'm now using the same juices that I've used when I first got my kit, I never had any side effects from it. But it's not making me feel any better. Im starting to think its something to do with smoking cessation. I heard that biggest changes after quitting smoking occurs after the first week. Im 8 days into vaping. Its probably not a nicotine overdose, as I woke up this morning feeling like this. Probably not the juice or it could be the new juice I bought.

revolver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Buenos Aires
It must be smoking cessation-related; probably...

And, as wdave pointed out, we should avoid chain vaping PG if possible. And rather maybe vape the right amount of nic for shorter sessions...

For example, in my case, if I vape a low nic juice I am likely to vape 'longer', so I try to, in general, vape 'higher in nic shorter in time'; And it will also depend on the set up; vaping rythms, and even on 'the day' which level of nic is the right amount to keep you satisfied without chain vaping for hours and hours non-stop.
Some days 18 mg. will do the trick for me; some other times I have to go 24 because 18 will have me vaping 'for ages' to get my fix. Possibly it is to do with the wattage or performance of the equipment, but again... I try to be aware of this and 'stay on the smart choice', listening to my body needs so that I can vape the right amount of nic preventing myself from being exposed to extra-long PG vaping sessions...

And when it comes to the fact many liquids referred to as PG-based would include a small percentege of VG... Well this is true certainly. Some Re-branded DKNG's for EG are sold as PG while there is a percentage of VG to them. And you certainly will be able to tell from how 'runny' or thick the liquid is.

Last edited:

stillalive

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2011
USA
I occasionally have a racing heart beat, mild chest pains, or congestion if I vape too much/too high a nic level. It can't hurt to try different levels of nic or different carriers, but I think it will pass in time. :) I never smoked, btw, so I'm pretty sure that my congestion and such isn't related to quitting smoking. I will say that despite not using e-cigs to quit smoking, the level of congestion and chest pain I experience isn't enough to make me stop vaping.

I get the chest pains and such more often with the Njoy carts than my organic juice. Not sure why...

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
I occasionally have a racing heart beat, mild chest pains, or congestion if I vape too much/too high a nic level. It can't hurt to try different levels of nic or different carriers, but I think it will pass in time. :) I never smoked, btw, so I'm pretty sure that my congestion and such isn't related to quitting smoking. I will say that despite not using e-cigs to quit smoking, the level of congestion and chest pain I experience isn't enough to make me stop vaping.

I get the chest pains and such more often with the Njoy carts than my organic juice. Not sure why...

That probably has a lot to do with the fact that the NJoy carts contain PG and absolutely NO VG. I really hated those carts.

I vape 18mg 60PG/40VG juice. 60/40 is about as much PG as I want to vape.

wyojoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2011
Wyoming
I chain vape and started taking blood pressure meds about one month ago, not bad BP but doc. wanted me to take it. Anyway I check it at home several times a day to see how the meds are working and have found that it is 120/80 or lowers in the morning and goes up all day (chain vaping) and is at its highest when I go to bed. 155/90 so it seems like vaping does effect my BP. I don't know what else would cause this. If I cut down my vaping or use lower nic. juice it doesn't go as high in the evening. So it maybe the nic, don't know??.

MagnusEunson

Bearded Super Villain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2011
Behind you
My wife has switched to vaping in the recent past and she has similar problems. For ~her~ it ended up being a few pathways to comfort:

- She started with 12mg and thought it might be too high, she dropped and got ~worse~. Turns out she needed to be at 24mg even though she thought her light cigarette equivalents were lower nic.

- She went to a 50/50 blend of VG/PG. For her an all PG gave her smallish hives and headaches while a full VG gave her congestion and led to coughing.

But her heart rate, panic attacks, etc. were all because she was using too low a nicotine too fast for her withdrawal.

I hope you find your balance and soon! Cheers, -Magnus

wyojoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2011
Wyoming
My wife has switched to vaping in the recent past and she has similar problems. For ~her~ it ended up being a few pathways to comfort:

- She started with 12mg and thought it might be too high, she dropped and got ~worse~. Turns out she needed to be at 24mg even though she thought her light cigarette equivalents were lower nic.

- She went to a 50/50 blend of VG/PG. For her an all PG gave her smallish hives and headaches while a full VG gave her congestion and led to coughing.

But her heart rate, panic attacks, etc. were all because she was using too low a nicotine too fast for her withdrawal.

I hope you find your balance and soon! Cheers, -Magnus
THANKS for info on your wifes experience. I do vape 24mg juice, but going to try 18 and see if it makes a difference.

stillalive

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2011
USA
I have a question: do you use nic-free juice? I have trouble wrapping my head around a non-smoker knowingly becoming addicted to nicotine when there is a nic-free alternative. The main reason I ask, though, is to see if your symptoms are occuring without nicotine.

Hi Critter Man,
I encourage you to check out the link in my signature: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...t-smoker-before-vaping-discussion-thread.html

I'm not sure how so many people miss this since I feel like it's said all over the place, but nicotine is relatively non-addictive by itself. Without the MAOI components in tobacco to help change the way the brain reacts to nicotine, it seems to be about as addictive as caffeine, or even less for some people. This is even mentioned on the nicotine wikipedia page! :) Non-smokers start vaping (even the nicotine juices) for a variety of reasons, apparently often to manage psychological or neurological problems that haven't been fixed adequately by prescription meds. That was definitely the case for me.

I vape 6 to 16mg nicotine and have not noticed a difference, except that it seems to happen more quickly or possibly frequently with the 16mg nicotine.

Critter Man

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2010
Minnesota
PG gave her smallish hives

There has been some resistance to my posts regarding PG contributing to flare-ups of existing skin allergies. I have some medical background, and I can tell you that most folks do not have a good understanding of what allergic reactions are (although the secondary symptoms are well known). Main thing, I haven't heard of any confirmed cases of dangerous allergic reactions to PG, especially the dilute form used for vaping. Just something to keep in mind when talking about the side effects of vaping.

wyojoe: increased blood pressure, rapid heart rate, and irregular cardiac rhythms are well known side effects of nicotine that worsen as the level in the body increases. It's one of the many reasons that smoking cigarettes contributes to heart disease and strokes. It's a good idea for anyone using anything containing nicotine to keep a close eye on their blood pressure; especially late in the day as your nicotine levels are lowest when you wake up and you need to know how bad it gets, not how good it starts.

Also, women who are on birth control pills are especially at risk for nicotine-related heart disease and stroke. I'm not sure if any studies have been done on non-cigarette sources of nicotine as doctors tend to consider ANY smoking cessation method as safer than smoking (erroneously, IMO). Let's all stay safe out there :2cool:

wyojoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2011
Wyoming
There has been some resistance to my posts regarding PG contributing to flare-ups of existing skin allergies. I have some medical background, and I can tell you that most folks do not have a good understanding of what allergic reactions are (although the secondary symptoms are well known). Main thing, I haven't heard of any confirmed cases of dangerous allergic reactions to PG, especially the dilute form used for vaping. Just something to keep in mind when talking about the side effects of vaping.

wyojoe: increased blood pressure, rapid heart rate, and irregular cardiac rhythms are well known side effects of nicotine that worsen as the level in the body increases. It's one of the many reasons that smoking cigarettes contributes to heart disease and strokes. It's a good idea for anyone using anything containing nicotine to keep a close eye on their blood pressure; especially late in the day as your nicotine levels are lowest when you wake up and you need to know how bad it gets, not how good it starts.

Also, women who are on birth control pills are especially at risk for nicotine-related heart disease and stroke. I'm not sure if any studies have been done on non-cigarette sources of nicotine as doctors tend to consider ANY smoking cessation method as safer than smoking (erroneously, IMO). Let's all stay safe out there :2cool:
GOOD information that seems like thats whats going on with me. When I lower my nic. level I will see what happends. It still better than real cigs.

Critter Man

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2010
Minnesota
Without the MAOI components in tobacco to help change the way the brain reacts to nicotine, it seems to be about as addictive as caffeine, or even less for some people.

I just keep seeing the charts in my head: big spikes in dopamine levels after a dose of nicotine. Those dope spikes are thought to have a strong correlation to the addictive properties of a substance. Typically, the higher the spike, the more addictive the drug. I wonder how nicotine and caffeine actually compare dopamine-wise.

often to manage psychological or neurological problems that haven't been fixed adequately by prescription meds.

I figure that's why many of us started smoking, too. I knew the risks when I first lit up, but I did anyway. That's probably another big reason why nicotine is so addictive: the psychological faceplant of having the drug removed is probably 1,000,000x worse than the withdrawl symptoms from smoking cessation. I figure that the reason other nicotine replacements don't work is that you need to inhale nicotine to get the desired effect on brain chemistry. Vaping is not identical to smoking, but it's as close as anyone will ever get.

Critter Man

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2010
Minnesota
GOOD information that seems like thats whats going on with me. When I lower my nic. level I will see what happends. It still better than real cigs.

Glad to be of help. Knowing literally is half the battle, because knowledge effects every tiny decision we make. Just being aware of what is happening may alter your vaping without you realizing it. Keep an eye on your BP, listen to your body, and do what you need to do to keep yourself enjoying life as much of the time as possible :toast:

stillalive

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2011
USA
I was pretty concerned about the blood clot issue too, but I haven't found any sources linking *nicotine* rather than just smoking to blood clots. I did read one study where they couldn't link nicotine alone to blood clots. If you have other scientific studies that did link *just nicotine* to blood clots, I'd be really grateful for the name so I can be more informed. It's really hard to find studies about the effect of just nicotine on health problems, since most people have nicotine and smoking totally inseparable in their minds!

My only risk factor so far is not being active all the time, but I'm not *that* inactive, I don't think. I figure I'll worry about it a little more as I get older...

MagnusEunson

Bearded Super Villain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2011
Behind you
I was pretty concerned about the blood clot issue too, but I haven't found any sources linking *nicotine* rather than just smoking to blood clots. I did read one study where they couldn't link nicotine alone to blood clots. If you have other scientific studies that did link *just nicotine* to blood clots, I'd be really grateful for the name so I can be more informed. It's really hard to find studies about the effect of just nicotine on health problems, since most people have nicotine and smoking totally inseparable in their minds!

I just posted on something related to nicotine as it pertains to atherosclerosis over at http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...e-forum-discussion-thread-16.html#post3360056 ..

In terms of blood clots it's pretty much the same answer with a few substitutions here and there. I'm not a Doctor but I spent huge amounts of time reading this versus other leading causes. Basically it comes down to risk factors per person. Nicotine has not been shown, on its own, to have SUCH OVERWHELMING RISKS that it's the first thing I'm looking to cut out of my life. Not even close. -Magnus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread