Status
Not open for further replies.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
Hi guys. I got the SXK 60w black flask from ft like 2 weeks ago. I has been working well and I really love it. However, 2 days ago I realised I couldn't screw in any of my Atty all the way down. When I screw in any atty, even before it bottoms out, it will reach a certain point before it starts auto firing.

At first it wasn't really an issue but just yesterday my atty somehow tighen itself to the mod and autofired in my bag.

Please help if you guys can. Tell me if you need anymore details.
It sounds like the 510 pin or the wire to it is hitting the positive battery connector. It's certainly easy enough to remove the top plate to see it.
11401068_1014342568589967_6066674247469110706_n.jpg

I'll open mine now and have a look, pic is old.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Hey Craig. Thanks so much for your quick response. You have just saved my flask from the dreaded drawer.

Turns out my spring was a smidge out of that plastic. So I just took some plumber's tape and insulated the spring by layering it on top.

Thanks again friend!
Did you put the end of the spring back under the plastic frame?

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
It sounds like the 510 pin or the wire to it is hitting the positive battery connector. It's certainly easy enough to remove the top plate to see it.
11401068_1014342568589967_6066674247469110706_n.jpg

I'll open mine now and have a look, pic is old.
How hell did his board not short out if the 510 connector made contact with the positive battery terminal? I fried two boards like that.

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Hey guys, remember we were talking about the SXK not showing Low Battery, just fading out watts. @TheotherSteveS @dwcraig1 and I can't remember whose flask it was that triggered the discussion.

Anyway, I said that I hadn't noticed the issue on my new Nebula. I have now.

The first battery I ran through the Nebula was a brand new Sony VTC 5. That worked fine, down to showing Low Battery at 3.2 or 3.3V.

The second battery I put in it was a six-weeks-old EFest 3500mah. Not nearly as good quality battery to begin with, and has been through a dozen or so charge/discharges compared to the brand new VTC 5.

Tonight, when the battery was at 3.3V (as I later found), I was getting a tiny amount of output from the mod when I fired. Battery bar showed some charge, and no Low Batt message.

I was firing in TC mode set to 225°C and 25W. It was almost immediately dropping to <8W and giving almost no vapour; seemingly like a TC issue.

So I switched it to VW mode (I was using a Resistherm coil, which you can fire in VW or TC; it's OK to heat it to glowing.)

Here's the really interesting thing, which is both kind of cool and also (more) annoying! In VW mode, it still gave almost no vapour, but the weird thing is that it also showed the watts dropping! So I had it set to 25W, but when firing the screen would immediately show the watts dropping to 10W and below. In VW mode!

I switched out the battery for a freshly charged VTC 5 and then it fired properly both in VW and TC.

So it's kind of cool, in theory, that in VW mode the mod was showing me that it wasn't firing the configured 25W. Cool because it seems to demonstrate that the screen is updated from what the watts are, rather than being always being a static display of what the mod intends to fire, as it would be in most/all other mods when they have ground or whatever issues (eg Waidea.)

But far more than that it's also really annoying: a) because in TC mode this behaviour is indistinguishable from it lowering watts because of the coil being at temp and/or dry, and b) I don't want it to show me it's firing a lower wattage than configured; if it can't fire the watts I asked for, I want it to say Low Batt!

My guess is that a battery with high voltage drop/sag - like I'm sure the EFest has - is able to simultaneously appear (perhaps because of resting voltage) to have enough battery to continue without showing Low Batt, while also not being able to provide the requested watts due to voltage drop.

Maybe they've coded it in a strange way - separating out the Low Batt check and checking the battery's voltage at the wrong time, perhaps.

Anyway, there it is - it's again another problem generic to the SXK chip. But it may well be dependent on how much voltage drop you get in your batteries, and it may be less likely in a dual battery mod where the voltage drop per battery is halved. (At least I assume it is in parallel, like it definitely is for series?)

At some point I'll put 2 x EFest in my SXK VF and see if it happens there. So far I think I've run the flask exclusively with Samsung 25Rs which are likely a fair bit better. Or even just 1x EFest, which will presumably be more likely to show the issue.

I will report all this to SXK. I'm getting back to them on Monday with my thoughts on the Nebula.

Last edited:

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
This post is not about much. I built a 4 mm, 0.1 ohm ni200 coil and put it in a dripper. I then put it on an Evolv DNA 40 mod and fired it at 40 watts, it seemed like it could handle quite a bit more power so I put it on my SXK flask and set it to 50 watts and it did poorly, dropped into the 20's then up to around 38 watts. Waidea did well, Evolv sits right on 40 watts. I'm probably at the amp limit and this problem is affected by the SXK's low ohms bug but the Evolv board seems to work so much better.
But I really just wanted to say that the coil works real good, it's 26 gauge with crimp eyelets for legs.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
The Oort Cloud
Ask and you shall receive. I just did a search at 3f for SXK VF and found a black and a blue one with different model numbers so something must be different. Here's the description, then the link:
SXK VF STYLE TEMPERATURE CONTROL VW VARIABLE WATTAGE APV BOX MOD - BLACK, ALUMINUM, 1~60W, 1 X 18650, TOUCH FEELING
Model: 4433 $69.99
SXK VF Style Temperature Control VW Variable Wattage APV Box Mod - Black, Aluminum, 1~60W, 1 x 18650, Touch Feeling - 3FVape

3FVapes cannot even do an accurate product description; in the main product tagline they state: 1 x 18650.
However, when you scroll down further on the page it states: 2 x 18650.

I wasted $60.00 on a Kangxin VF3 and now it's worthless. The soft brass 510 connector is shot. It's press-fitted into a the top flange and I can't get the damn thing out to replace with a far superior connector I got online.
It shuts down with around 3.3.-3.4 vdc left in the batteries.

The iPV4 I ordered put these in the proverbial dirt.

Reactions: diceman1000

Joseph Swint

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2014
Canton, Ohio
Mine doesn't show low battery either. Vape just gets weaker and weaker until it shows "Elove Dna 50w" and then asks if it's the same or new coil every time the fire button is pressed. I took the batteries out and placed on the charger, they were at 3.1v

Hey guys, remember we were talking about the SXK not showing Low Battery, just fading out watts. @TheotherSteveS @dwcraig1 and I can't remember whose flask it was that triggered the discussion.

Anyway, I said that I hadn't noticed the issue on my new Nebula. I have now.

The first battery I ran through the Nebula was a brand new Sony VTC 5. That worked fine, down to showing Low Battery at 3.2 or 3.3V.

The second battery I put in it was a six-weeks-old EFest 3500mah. Not nearly as good quality battery to begin with, and has been through a dozen or so charge/discharges compared to the brand new VTC 5.

Tonight, when the battery was at 3.3V (as I later found), I was getting a tiny amount of output from the mod when I fired. Battery bar showed some charge, and no Low Batt message.

I was firing in TC mode set to 225°C and 25W. It was almost immediately dropping to <8W and giving almost no vapour; seemingly like a TC issue.

So I switched it to VW mode (I was using a Resistherm coil, which you can fire in VW or TC; it's OK to heat it to glowing.)

Here's the really interesting thing, which is both kind of cool and also (more) annoying! In VW mode, it still gave almost no vapour, but the weird thing is that it also showed the watts dropping! So I had it set to 25W, but when firing the screen would immediately show the watts dropping to 10W and below. In VW mode!

I switched out the battery for a freshly charged VTC 5 and then it fired properly both in VW and TC.

So it's kind of cool, in theory, that in VW mode the mod was showing me that it wasn't firing the configured 25W. Cool because it seems to demonstrate that the screen is updated from what the watts are, rather than being always being a static display of what the mod intends to fire, as it would be in most/all other mods when they have ground or whatever issues (eg Waidea.)

But far more than that it's also really annoying: a) because in TC mode this behaviour is indistinguishable from it lowering watts because of the coil being at temp and/or dry, and b) I don't want it to show me it's firing a lower wattage than configured; if it can't fire the watts I asked for, I want it to say Low Batt!

My guess is that a battery with high voltage drop/sag - like I'm sure the EFest has - is able to simultaneously appear (perhaps because of resting voltage) to have enough battery to continue without showing Low Batt, while also not being able to provide the requested watts due to voltage drop.

Maybe they've coded it in a strange way - separating out the Low Batt check and checking the battery's voltage at the wrong time, perhaps.

Anyway, there it is - it's again another problem generic to the SXK chip. But it may well be dependent on how much voltage drop you get in your batteries, and it may be less likely in a dual battery mod where the voltage drop per battery is halved. (At least I assume it is in parallel, like it definitely is for series?)

At some point I'll put 2 x EFest in my SXK VF and see if it happens there. So far I think I've run the flask exclusively with Samsung 25Rs which are likely a fair bit better. Or even just 1x EFest, which will presumably be more likely to show the issue.

I will report all this to SXK. I'm getting back to them on Monday with my thoughts on the Nebula.

Reactions: TheBloke
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread