Various inquiries from a person of less than adequate knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vaz here, hello everyone!

A little background information; I'm from central Wisconsin, any other cheese heads here? I'm not a heavy smoker, only one or two analogues a day with friends, I'd still like to get off tobacco though. I've been lurking on the forum for a day or so now, (a friend directed me to you people, he said you had the most information around, he wasn't kidding!) and just today made an account.

My first question is: I have a chronically irritated throat and I am always coughing (may or may not be related to smoking.) Would the e-cigs be gentle on my throat and could I mix in some sort of herbal or menthol oil with the e-liquid, or would that damage the machines?

My second question is: I like to think I won't have much trouble switching from analogues to an e-cig based on how few cigarettes I smoke each day. I'm a social smoker, I guess. Can anyone tell me how well a standard 510 replicates a cigarette?

P.S. I hope this is the right forum, it can be moved if it isn't, maybe? :blink:

P.S.S. I hope I don't sound like too much of an idiot.

DocWyatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2010
OK
My first thought is that if you only smoke 1 or 2 a day simply walk away as you are not addicted - yet. That is by FAR the best answer.

If you insist on it, then VG type juice might be better for your throat. it gives more vapor and less throat hit.

No ecig completely replicates an analog (cig) as they have 4000 chemicals in them and the hit is created by carbon monoxide - poison.

Walk away. Smoking addiction is not glamorous or cool. We do this because we are addicted to analogs and looking for options. You are making a drastic mistake in your life toying with them. Period.

Last edited:
Thank you for both for your replies!

TheBuss: Thank you but until sufficient evidence is presented indicating e-cigarettes are a serious health risk, I'll take a chance for the social aspect of vaping/smoking with friends. I'll look into VG juice.

son et lumiere: I was considering the Joye 510 from cignot.com. How is the service from these websites?

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
I'm personally with TheBuss. While we suspect vaping is safer than smoking, we don't really know, especially long-term. Early studies are promising, but these studies were looking for the known toxins in cigs. They weren't looking for all toxins. And even if vaping is safe short-term, we know nothing about its long-term effects. It's a very new product.

None of the ingredients in e-juice are designed for inhalation - some of them are even known to be very dangerous to inhale at larger concentrations. There have been no studies on their safety at these concentrations, so we don't know for sure if they're safe or not.

There's no reason for you to continue with this, or invest so much money on a habit that you could simply walk away from, and save yourself from either the damage of smoking, or the unknown safety of e-cigs.

We take the risk because we're hopelessly addicted, and anecdotal evidence and early studies suggest that it's better than smoking. That's it. But "better than smoking" does not mean "risk-free."

If you really insist, get no-nic juice. CigNot is a good supplier.

Last edited:

gice

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Northridge
Yes, it's best to just walk away from it all while you still can. People here make vaping sound real enjoyable - and it is - but most of us are nicotine addicts and former heavy smokers. And e-cigs are an ideal alternative for us. If i could just walk away, i wouldn't be vaping either.

However, maybe you can be a positive influence to the smokers around you by introducing them to e-cigs. Let them know about this forum. It's the best way to start.

dr bud

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Wisconsin
Hello Vaz!I am also from Wisconsin.Smoking 1 or 2 cigarettes a day I would not even bother goin to an e cig really.Don't think that smoking that little will really raise any health concerns.MHO.Plus you might start liking the vaping experience too much and do it more than smoking.PS.Us cheeseheads don't have much to cheer for at the moment.Even worse for me I am also a Cowboys fan.Now they really have problems!!

Well, I figured I'd jump in and give you what advice I can based upon what you're asking. I like the 510 and find it to be similar in feel to a reg cig, except for the obvious weight difference, which felt odd at first, but I got used to quickly. I've heard cignot is good, but I went with strictlyejuice for the free shipping and coupon code 10percent, which totaled about $31 (not sure if the coupon is still good, though). I've heard oil isn't good for attys, but I'm not an expert on that one.

Btw, there seem to be quite a few people around here who get their panties in a bunch when it comes to non-smokers, light smokers, etc wanting to buy an ecig. I'm assuming at this point in your life you know smoking isn't good for you, and you're choosing to do it anyway. To that I say it's your business if you choose to smoke and/or vape. Just throwing that in there, so you don't think everyone here is gonna give you crap about it.

DocWyatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2010
OK
The reason that smokers get riled about non-smokers or very light smokers smoking or vaping is that we KNOW the drastic negative impact it has on a person's life.

Any smoking tax is the worst regressive tax that exists. Why? Most people that are poor - smoke. One can argue the chicken and the egg, but regardless the correlation is accurate.

The consequences of a smoking habit cannot be overstated. It is the very reason we are on this site....

EDIT: This is not simply whether ecigs are safe. Even if they are eventually proven 100% safe you just added an unnecessary addiction and could easily lead to smoking analogs.

Last edited:

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
Mellie - I just want to correct the mis-understanding that vaping is "safe." It is probably safer than smoking, at least short term. That's why I do it. We know nothing about long term effects, and we also don't have the final word on its short term effects. People looking at vaping as something fun to do because it's "safe" are mistaken, and should be informed that they are mistaken before deciding to do it.

I just don't see any reason to encourage people to develop a habit, especially when they have faulty information. The OP can decide whatever they like. But they should decide being informed - vaping is not "safe."

That risk is worth it for a smoker. But not, in my opinion, for a non- or social smoker. They would be better served just walking away.

If they decide otherwise, fine. But they should know that it is a risk.

I just want to say that I agree with pointing out the facts and letting people who think vaping is 100% safe know that this isn't the case. I suppose my issue is with the approach. Informing a person of the risk is one thing, implying that they're some stupid kid who's just trying to be cool is another.

I know what being incredibly addicted to smoking is like and I switched to vaping as hopefully a way to wean off of nicotine altogether. With that being said, if a person either smokes already (regardless of the amount) and they have no intention of quitting or they are about to start smoking and they are looking at vaping as an alternative then they should be able to get some advice without just being told don't do it, it isn't cool, etc. I know when I started smoking I heard this repeatedly and it didn't do anything to stop me (I'm sure most people could say this, actually). I would never encourage a non-smoker to start vaping, though. Even with no nicotine, inhaling random crap that wasn't meant to be inhaled isn't a smart move. I don't think only smoking a couple ciggs a day is perfectly harmless either. I also wouldn't assume that the OP is addiction free. I've known people who smoked less than that thinking they weren't addicted until they tried to stop and realized they were.

deback

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2010
Michigan
Well, I figured I'd jump in and give you what advice I can based upon what you're asking. I like the 510 and find it to be similar in feel to a reg cig, except for the obvious weight difference, which felt odd at first, but I got used to quickly. I've heard cignot is good, but I went with strictlyejuice for the free shipping and coupon code 10percent, which totaled about $31 (not sure if the coupon is still good, though). I've heard oil isn't good for attys, but I'm not an expert on that one.

Btw, there seem to be quite a few people around here who get their panties in a bunch when it comes to non-smokers, light smokers, etc wanting to buy an ecig. I'm assuming at this point in your life you know smoking isn't good for you, and you're choosing to do it anyway. To that I say it's your business if you choose to smoke and/or vape. Just throwing that in there, so you don't think everyone here is gonna give you crap about it.

How do I give Mellie's post 5 stars? Great post, Mellie!

deback

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2010
Michigan
I just want to say that I agree with pointing out the facts and letting people who think vaping is 100% safe know that this isn't the case. I suppose my issue is with the approach. Informing a person of the risk is one thing, implying that they're some stupid kid who's just trying to be cool is another.

I know what being incredibly addicted to smoking is like and I switched to vaping as hopefully a way to wean off of nicotine altogether. With that being said, if a person either smokes already (regardless of the amount) and they have no intention of quitting or they are about to start smoking and they are looking at vaping as an alternative then they should be able to get some advice without just being told don't do it, it isn't cool, etc. I know when I started smoking I heard this repeatedly and it didn't do anything to stop me (I'm sure most people could say this, actually). I would never encourage a non-smoker to start vaping, though. Even with no nicotine, inhaling random crap that wasn't meant to be inhaled isn't a smart move. I don't think only smoking a couple ciggs a day is perfectly harmless either. I also wouldn't assume that the OP is addiction free. I've known people who smoked less than that thinking they weren't addicted until they tried to stop and realized they were.

Another 5 star post!

I don't think Vaz came here expecting to be lectured. I don't think any of you are considering the fact that Vaz's 2-cig per day habit could easily turn into a pack a day habit. Here's an idea: Just answer the OP's questions and quit lecturing!

Last edited:
Sort of a follow-up question, I want to know if I can use an e-cig to vape a homebrew water/menthol/flavoring mixture without the e-juice. I really don't care about the nicotine, I just want to take a drag on something with my buddies from work and taste something/expel some vapor.

Let's keep this on-topic from here on out please,
Vaz

ropetrick

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2010
Athens, GA
I started vaping as a way to keep myself from starting back on analogs after a year off. The net effect is that I'm now really addicted to nicotine... and I wasn't when I was just fiddling around with a cigarette or two a day.

Get no-nic juice and have the occasional analog in social settings if you absolutely must. Please don't addict yourself on purpose... like I basically did.

Having said all that, I can't say I'm not enjoying it, because I am.

I started vaping as a way to keep myself from starting back on analogs after a year off. The net effect is that I'm now really addicted to nicotine... and I wasn't when I was just fiddling around with a cigarette or two a day.

Get no-nic juice and have the occasional analog in social settings if you absolutely must. Please don't addict yourself on purpose... like I basically did.

Having said all that, I can't say I'm not enjoying it, because I am.

Did you even bother reading the entire thread before posting this?

curiousJan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
Central IL
Sort of a follow-up question, I want to know if I can use an e-cig to vape a homebrew water/menthol/flavoring mixture without the e-juice. I really don't care about the nicotine, I just want to take a drag on something with my buddies from work and taste something/expel some vapor.

Let's keep this on-topic from here on out please,
Vaz

Then vape 0mg niquid ... and don't use _oil_ as flavoring, it's not kind to atties/cartos. Water-based flavoring only if at all possible.

Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread