Wrong Model for Quitting Analogues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

manc

Jun 12, 2009
New Hampshire, USA
Hi all! I've been vaping for a week now on my first PV, the M401. I'm happy with it, but I don't know if I'm happy enough. I've cut down a little, but I'm still smoking analogues. From what I've read on this forum, it does take some time before some people quit analogues completely. However, I'm wondering if I need a higher performance PV to satisfy my cravings. Specifically, I'm eying up the 510, because vapor production and throat hit are supposed to be great.

I am using low nic e-liquid, and while it is possible a higher nic liquid would make me more satisfied, I kinda doubt it. I'm not too heavy a smoker (3/4th of a pack per day) and I don't really get nicotine cravings, or feel the physical effects of the cigs I smoke (except for the first of the day). I'm more addicted to the routine, the act of smoking something. This is why I think that a PV with great vapor and throat hit might satisfy me and get me off of these analogues.

So I guess my question is, did you find that quitting analogues was dependent on using the right PV for you? If so, which model did it for you?

BTW, great forum! I'm so happy to have found this place, and have learned so much. Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge with newbies like me! :)

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
Hi all! I've been vaping for a week now on my first PV, the M401. I'm happy with it, but I don't know if I'm happy enough. I've cut down a little, but I'm still smoking analogues. From what I've read on this forum, it does take some time before some people quit analogues completely. However, I'm wondering if I need a higher performance PV to satisfy my cravings. Specifically, I'm eying up the 510, because vapor production and throat hit are supposed to be great.

I am using low nic e-liquid, and while it is possible a higher nic liquid would make me more satisfied, I kinda doubt it. I'm not too heavy a smoker (3/4th of a pack per day) and I don't really get nicotine cravings, or feel the physical effects of the cigs I smoke (except for the first of the day). I'm more addicted to the routine, the act of smoking something. This is why I think that a PV with great vapor and throat hit might satisfy me and get me off of these analogues.

So I guess my question is, did you find that quitting analogues was dependent on using the right PV for you? If so, which model did it for you?

BTW, great forum! I'm so happy to have found this place, and have learned so much. Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge with newbies like me! :)

You can't beat the M401 for analog simulation. It hits hard, and vapes great.

You have to keep in mind that you are not addicted to nicotine only. There are other additive chemicals in cigarette smoke. Withdrawal symptoms are normal, even though you're vaping. If you can curb the urge for an analog, and just vape, the urges will slowly subside.

It's not an easy road to take, but the PV minimizes the suffering.

framitz

Moved On
May 24, 2009
RSM, CA
You might try increasing the nicotine to medium or even high then cut down from there. Of course you want the nic content as low as possible, but you want satisfaction too.

The past week I've been using lower nic juice because of delays in juice orders. It was frustrating because I just could not satisfy the craving and resorted to bumming a couple of analogs.

Stronger juice came in yesterday and what a difference just a little higher content made. Now I can vape a few hits and am good to go.

For me the vaporizer care and feeding has replaced the old analog ritual with no problem, this varies from person to person though.

popsec

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
www.vtvapor.com
I started with a 901 and the nasty carts that came with it plus I bought a bunch more before I relized the e-liquid was the way to go. I was smoking ultra lights but was up over 2 packs a day. Anyway, even with the low nic content in the original carts I managed to quit analogs the first day and that wasn't what I set out to do. Now I've switched to the 510, which I really like. I use abt 24 mg juice. I never have the urge to light up a "real" one :)

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
So I guess my question is, did you find that quitting analogues was dependent on using the right PV for you?

Absolutely!!

When you find the PV that is right for you - you are going to be in total heaven with vaping and ciggies will soon become just a distant memory.

If you're not happy with the PV you have now and you don't feel it is satisfying you, you are making the right decision to ask questions and to look further into the different types of PVs.

At this stage of your vaping I would highly recommend you look at the manual switch e-cigs such as the 510. You indicated that you had been considering the 510 and I think that's a wise choice.

All the 510s are the same, whether they are called the Dura-C or the Yeti, or the Joye 510, or simply just 510.

There are several reliable suppliers for the 510:

USA Suppliers
Joye 510 ( e-Smokey Treats - Electronic Cigarette's, The healthy alternative to traditional tobacco cigarette's )
Dura-C ( Untitled Document )
Yeti ( AltSmoke - Electronic Cigarettes, DSE901, The Yeti & More. )

UK Supplier
Dura-C ( iVapour | Electronic Cigarettes | Janty Stick ? Janty Kissbox ? Janty Dura-C ? Janty Mini Fogger ? Janty E-Liquid & Cartridges )

China Supplier
Eastmall 510 ( 510 Manual Switch Starter Kit - Black - e-Cigs Manual Switch 510 - Eastmall International Co.,Ltd )

You may also want to include a 510 passthrough with your order. The passthrough is identical to a standard 510 rechargeable battery except that the end portion is wired to a standard USB connector. You simply plug the USB connector into a USB port or portable power pack and can vape all day long without having to change or charge batteries.

Hope this helps
Good luck!!

usamare

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
Wadsworth
Whatever you decide on for a PV, higher nic in the liquid will provide a stronger hit. I used stronger liquid for key trigger times, like after meals, and weaker liquid when I was just vaping out habit (most of the time).
Bear in mind, comparatively speaking, nicotine levels are easy to control once the cigarettes have been gone for a few weeks.

manc

Jun 12, 2009
New Hampshire, USA
Thank you all for the advice and comments! I think I'll try a few things: try some higher strength liquid, and see if a little nic buzz will make me feel more satisfied (especially at trigger times, like usamare suggested); just be patient for a few more days, and see if I phase out the cigs more and more (I'm looking forward to the day that lighting up an analogue grosses me out); in the meanwhile, continue to think about the 510...

I guess I'm at a mini-crossroads: Do I stock up on more 401 equipment, or put that money into trying a 510?

I do think that M401 was a good first choice, and I do like it. But I find myself thinking about the manual switch more and more.

Mamu--thanks for the links. If I buy a 510, I'm thinking of going with a Chinese supplier, because I'm not in a real rush, and their prices are the best. (Although those gold attys at e-smokey treats are pretty hot). RuyanDirect has 510s now, and their prices are even better (slightly) than Eastmall, although they don't have the PCC and Passthrough. RuyanDirect seem to have a good reputation around here. Do you think their 510s are OK? Also, I've read that people have problems with passthroughs sometimes. I take it you've had good luck with them? I'd like to have one, if it is going to be reliable enough.

Cayman

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
manc... I am still very new myself and have done a ton of research. That being said, I would just try different stragths/liquids at this point and see if that satifies your need. If not, I would then invest in the 510 to see if that is better. If it is, then invest in the supplies for that model.

Point being, why spend money on a model that you are not 100% sure of you like. Once you know you like a particular model, then go forward with buying all of the accessories and gadgets that you want for that model.

At the point you are now, I think you are still trying to see if this is for you and trying to find out what will help reduce your cravings.

Hope this helps some. :)

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
I have a 510 from jantyusa.com and also from eastmall.net. They're both working AOK and have been for about 2 months now. I saw that ruyandirect.com now offers them and I'm sure they're AOK too.

David at eastmall and Wayne at ruyandirect are very customer service oriented and are very nice to deal with. My orders from China usually take 7-10 days.

At e-smokeytreats.com, if you use SAVE10 as a coupon code you get 10% off your order.

I have jantyusa and also eastmall 510 passthroughs. I like them and they work the same as having the 510 battery - except you have use of it 24/7 cuz you never have to charge it lol!!

awww.. I know so many options - which is good for us hahaha!!

Be careful when going up in nic strength. I was a 2-3 ppd smoker and the 36 mg nic made me sick and gave me headaches. So just because a person smoked a lot doesn't mean they need the higher nic strength.

But I see on the forum that there are several people that do fine with 36 mg. Some suppliers have stopped offering 36 mg and their highest is now 24 mg. I couldn't do any higher than 18 mg without getting sick.

Appears you have some shopping to do :D
Good luck

happily

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2009
anchorage, ak
Thank you all for the advice and comments! I think I'll try a few things: try some higher strength liquid, and see if a little nic buzz will make me feel more satisfied (especially at trigger times, like usamare suggested); just be patient for a few more days, and see if I phase out the cigs more and more (I'm looking forward to the day that lighting up an analogue grosses me out); in the meanwhile, continue to think about the 510...

I guess I'm at a mini-crossroads: Do I stock up on more 401 equipment, or put that money into trying a 510?

I do think that M401 was a good first choice, and I do like it. But I find myself thinking about the manual switch more and more.

Mamu--thanks for the links. If I buy a 510, I'm thinking of going with a Chinese supplier, because I'm not in a real rush, and their prices are the best. (Although those gold attys at e-smokey treats are pretty hot). RuyanDirect has 510s now, and their prices are even better (slightly) than Eastmall, although they don't have the PCC and Passthrough. RuyanDirect seem to have a good reputation around here. Do you think their 510s are OK? Also, I've read that people have problems with passthroughs sometimes. I take it you've had good luck with them? I'd like to have one, if it is going to be reliable enough.
any purchase from ruyan in june will bump you up a notch and give you even better pricing....(but no pcc or passthru currently)check www.widowsbeadwork.com for those because of free shipping

the 510's should all come from the same manufacturer and ruyan claims 6mo warranty.....passthru problems seem to be easily rectified with thicker wire.......link around here somwhere

Something that really help me get over the hump (not only nic) ..I used to smoke outside. So I started placing my e-cig outside. That way I could grab the e-cig and let it be my smoke break.....kinda set vaping apart from normal walking around the house routine.(made vaping more special and fulfilling) After a few days I just quit going out all together

manc

Jun 12, 2009
New Hampshire, USA
Thanks for all the great advice :)

Cayman- I think you're right. I'm going to just try out different strength liquids for now, and see what I can get out of my current model before I go and spend more money on equipment for this model or any other.

mamu- thanks for the info, and the coupon code. Good to know. If I do decide to buy a 510, I now feel like I could make a pretty informed decision on suppliers. I'll go up slowly with the nic strength, and probably won't go higher than 18mg until I'm comfortable with how I react.

happily- yeah, once I start going outside for vape breaks instead of smoke breaks, I think I'll be on my way. At this point, when I'm outside, I still crave an analogue.

kathyst

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
San Diego, CA
any purchase from ruyan in june will bump you up a notch and give you even better pricing....(but no pcc or passthru currently)check www.widowsbeadwork.com for those because of free shipping

the 510's should all come from the same manufacturer and ruyan claims 6mo warranty.....passthru problems seem to be easily rectified with thicker wire.......link around here somwhere

Something that really help me get over the hump (not only nic) ..I used to smoke outside. So I started placing my e-cig outside. That way I could grab the e-cig and let it be my smoke break.....kinda set vaping apart from normal walking around the house routine.(made vaping more special and fulfilling) After a few days I just quit going out all together

Happily, what you said about smoking outside. I don't exactly get what you mean that you "just quit going out all together." Do you mean you were still smoking outside, but also having e-cigs outside? Then, did you start vaping in the house?

I'm used to going outside to smoke also. Well, outside during the work day; at home, I sometimes don't smoke outside because a neighbor downstairs complains! So my other place is at the stove-fan, with a smoke-grabber ashtray. (I tell you, I have gone through a whole lot of machinations to try to have my smoking not bother others...)

So, one thing I miss, as I adjust to smoking less and vaping more, is the going outside, etc. Smoking has always been a "break" for me, and also a "timekeeper" (as in, I'll have one smoke and then go). I'm not at all used to the vaping while doing various "routine" things around my home -- I'm used to taking a break from what I'm doing and having a smoke. I never smoked at my computer, on the couch watching TV, while sewing or doing crafts, etc. And as vaping is not a break of five to ten minutes concentrated smoking, that is very different also.

So this is what I'm learning to adjust to, this change in the habit. And this is a good thing. If I'm trying to stop the smoking habit, then any kind of change of routine is a good thing. But it's odd to me, to lounge on the couch watching TV with my e-cig.

kathy

markule

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2009
Iowa, USA
I went through much the same process. Got my 401, enjoyed it, but wasn't really cutting down on smokes. Pretty rapidly regular cigs tasted like crap, though. I started out with low nic (11mg/mL), but after two weeks bought a bunch of 36 and used that (cut with a little glycerine from walmart for more visual vapor) and that helped. After almost a month I was cutting back some, down to about 5 a day from my half pack or so. Ordered extras, but was seriously considering moving to a Janty Stick or 510. Then my passthrough came in. What a difference! Just got my Kensington power pack today. Using the passthrough, with it's bigger hit, I'm down to 2-3 cigs per day already, just a few days after getting used to the passthrough. Need that higher kick in the morning from a regular, but for the rest of the day I'm good. I do use it a LOT more than I smoked, but the wire creates just enough fiddliness to make me take a break rather than puff away while doing things, but is satisfying more than the batteries. I've also started getting annoyed at battery futzing, which the power pack helps with.

So, my suggestion, invest in a passthrough and some high nic liquid before investing in another model. It'll be a little cheaper, use mostly stuff you have, and if it works you're set. If not, try another model and sell the whole old kit to recoup your costs.

legalsea

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Fort Worth, Texas
Let me add this:

I have been off real cigarettes for close to three months. I was a pack-a-day smoker for 40 years. More, if drinking. I watched my brother-in-law die of lung cancer last November 30, 2008. HE had smoked for some 20 years, quit, and then took it up one year prior to dying. He was 58(I am 54).

As you read these threads you will be struck, as I was, at how many people have multiple e-cigarettes. Why? Because each individual is trying to find the 'perfect' cigarette experience from an electronic cigarette.

It will not happen.

However, I have found that the 'act' of smoking is well replicated by e-cigarettes. I have also found that by 'vaping' I will get the nicotine hit I need. I used to chew the nicotine gum and yet supplement it by a real cigarette, mostly due to needing the 'hand to mouth' motion. I also needed the satisfaction of 'exhaling' while drinking morning coffee, or that drink at night.

Believe me, these electronic cigarettes will provide an excellent substitue for the real thing, whichever you chose.

For instance, my first e-cig was the Njoy. I have since purchased the Red Dragon, the 401 and the 801. I have a 501 manual on order. Yet, I actually 'quit' on the Njoy, which is looked 'down on' by heavy 'vapers'. I still go to it, however, on a regular basis. It simply gives me the 'nicotine' hit I need, if not quite the 'cigarette' hit (i.e., 'throat' hit).

The Njoy enabled me to 'quit' smoking. The other e-smokes? Simply my attempt to regain the 'smoking' experience. I keep buying different brands, alhough I have achieved my original goal.

manc

Jun 12, 2009
New Hampshire, USA
A little update: I ordered some 18ml and 24ml liquid, along with some PG and VG to cut it with so I can adjust the strength as needed. I'll see if the stronger e-liquid leaves me more satisfied. I've also heard that adding some VG can increase the vapor production, which I may like...

So this is what I'm learning to adjust to, this change in the habit. And this is a good thing. If I'm trying to stop the smoking habit, then any kind of change of routine is a good thing. But it's odd to me, to lounge on the couch watching TV with my e-cig.

kathy

I agree, vaping indoors is definitely odd at first. Odd but fun :D

You have a 401 passthrough? I didn't know there was one. Where did you get that from?

edit - Ah, found one on absolutelyecigs.com. Shipping's expensive though, especially considering the current exchange rate.

Midwestvapor.com has 401 passthroughs as well. I haven't bought anything from them yet, so I can't make a recommendation either way, but I figured I'd pass on that info. They are $18.50 + $5.50 shipping. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread