Vegetable Glycerin

Status
Not open for further replies.

redrhino

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NY,CA,FL
So, I went to Rite Aid and Walgreens on my lunch and both the people looked at me like I was crazy and said they don't have it. I looked all over too and couldn't find it. I guess there is no VG in Seattle! hehehe

It is not that Walgreens or Rite Aid or even Wallmart Do not have the item in stock... The idiots that work there could be looking right at it,and will tell you it is out of stock,or they do not carry the item....Hell when i went to buy it,as i was talking to the sales associate we happened to be standing right in front of the isle where the VG was, so pretty much it was right in front of her face...But did she tell me it was down this isle....NOOOOOOOOOOO she did not,Why you ask? Well the answer is a simple one...The employees that do work for these retail chains...Are Incompetent ......,and that is why the all told you they do not have it.... Allmost all of the stores mentioned by me or others on this thread have the VG... You just have to talk to someone who has an education level higher than there hourly pay,and then you will find the VG that you have been looking for ........
Good luck

SLDS181

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2009
Western NJ
Here in Uruguay the glycerin I found is labeled as USP so I'll assume it's not VG. I understand it is safe to inhale, but is it safe for the attys as well?

Thanks.

Thats an incorrect assumption - in even if its vegetable sourced, 100%, in order to be pharmaceutical grade in the US (ie: have USP on the label), it must say Glycerin, not Vegetable Glycerin. You will never find 'USP Vegetable Glycerin', it will only ever be labeled as 'USP Glycerin', no matter how its sourced.

Yes, USP glycerin is safe for atties, its your best choice. Its the best quality glycerin you can buy.

I really do not feel all that comfortable inhaling a product that has a warning label on it that says to contact doctor or poison control center if accidentally ingested. But maybe that's just me. Perhaps they are just covering their butts, but why would they need to? Anyway, I won't be using it (Swan Glycerin). I ordered from another source. :)

Well, that other source you bought from? You'll see the same warning label.

USP = US Pharmaceutical grade. This means it has to meet specifically high levels of purity for use in pharmaceutical products.

Please read the earlier post. If you're buying something that isn't USP, you are not making the best choice. I don't care where you buy it, but please, know what it is you are using. USP Glycerin is what you want your suppliers to be using in their mixes, and its what you should be using in your own.

xybe

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2009
Montevideo, Uruguay.
Thats an incorrect assumption - in even if its vegetable sourced, 100%, in order to be pharmaceutical grade in the US (ie: have USP on the label), it must say Glycerin, not Vegetable Glycerin. You will never find 'USP Vegetable Glycerin', it will only ever be labeled as 'USP Glycerin', no matter how its sourced.

Yes, USP glycerin is safe for atties, its your best choice. Its the best quality glycerin you can buy.[...]

Thanks for clearing that up. I expressed myself incorrectly when I wrote I would assume it was not VG. I meant that not knowing if it was VG or not, it would be safest not to treat it as such and get information on Glycerin extracted from other sources. This thread makes it abundantly clear that other than philosophical differences (not kosher, not for vegans) they are interchangeable.

markarich159

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
PA, USA
It will be very interesting to see what Carol Jones has to say if she returns your call. Please keep us informed. Thank you for your patience and willingness to step up to the plate to correct some possible misconceptions.

She still hasn't gotten back to me. If she doesn't call me back by tomorrow , I will place another call.

Frostmonkey

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2009
Joliet, IL
Sorry to reiterate (and make such a long post) but it seems a majority are missing the major points made in this thread and many others so I'll post some of the facts I have learned about Glycerol.

• USP Glycerol = USP Glycerin = Save to vape regardless of any other label but on the bottle (i.e. kosher, organic, vegetable, animal, 100%, etc.)
  • Many companies decide to put all kinds of crazy labels on bottles such as "Organic" and "Kosher", but If the product is not labeled and certified by reputable organizations such as the FDA (HA!!!), USP, etc... that label cannot be trusted
  • Synonyms of / Relations to (i.e. other words that are used to represent the molecular structure of C3H5(OH)3)
    • 1,2, 3-Trihydroxypropane
    • 1,2,3-Propanetriol
    • 1,2,3-PROPANETRIOL, HOMOPOLYMER
    • 1,2,3-Trihydroxypropane
    • 1,2,3-trihydroxypropanol
    • 2-TRIFLUOROMETHYL-5-METHYLENE-5H-PYRIMIDIN-4-YLIDENEAMINE
    • 4-IMINO-5-METHIDYL-2-TRIFLUOROMETHYLPYRIMIDINE
    • 90 Technical glycerine
    • Aci-jel
    • Bulbold
    • C00116
    • c0066
    • Citifluor AF 2
    • Clyzerin, wasserfrei
    • Clyzerin, wasserfrei [German]
    • Cristal
    • CRY
    • D-glycerol
    • D00028
    • Dagralax
    • From Cryoprotectant
    • From Cryoprotectant.
    • Glicerina [DCIT]
    • Glicerol [INN-Spanish]
    • Glyceol
    • Glycerin
    • Glycerin (anhydrous)
    • Glycerin (JP14/USP)
    • Glycerin (mist)
    • Glycerin mist
    • Glycerin [JAN]
    • Glycerin, anhydrous
    • Glycerin, natural
    • Glycerin, synthetic
    • Glycerine
    • Glycerine mist
    • Glycerinum
    • Glyceritol
    • Glycerol
    • Glycerol From Cryoprotect
    • Glycerol polymer
    • Glycerol, polymers
    • Glycerolum [INN-Latin]
    • Glycyl Alcohol
    • Glycylalcohol
    • Glyrol
    • Glysanin
    • GOL
    • Gol -Glycerol From Cryoprotectant
    • GRO
    • Grocolene
    • HL 80
    • IFP
    • Incorporation factor
    • L-glycerol
    • LS-1377
    • MolMap_000024
    • Moon
    • Ophthalgan
    • Optim
    • Osmoglyn
    • PGL 300
    • PGL 500
    • PGL 700
    • Polyglycerin
    • Polyglycerine
    • Polyglycerol
    • Polyhydric alcohols
    • PROPANE-1,2,3-TRIOL
    • Propanetriol
    • Propanetriol (VAN)
    • Star
    • Synthetic glycerin
    • Synthetic glycerine
    • Tegin M
    • Trihydroxypropane
    • Unigly G 2
    • Unigly G 6
    • Vitrosupos
  • In foods, beverages, and many other commercially prepared products Glycerol is used as a humectant, sweetener, solvent, preservative, and thickener. It is used for many other things and new uses for Glycerol are still being found.
  • Incompatibilities:
    • Chromium trioxide
    • Potassium chlorate
    • Potassium permanganate
    • Strong oxidizers
Again, sorry for the extremely long post. The incompatibilities listed do not generally have to be worried about by the typical vaper. Hope this clears things up for those who couldn't find the appropriate posts, as this has been extensively discussed by others way more qualified than myself, and for some reason I can't find the thread. :p I'll link it when I find it.

Edit: Meh, I can't find the exact thread/post I was looking for, but I'm sure it was by Dvap lol. Try this thread

References:

Chemical Database: Glycerol (EnvironmentalChemistry.com)
The United States Pharmacopeial Convention Many pages within this site contain great info
Glycerol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
GLYCEROL
Carey, Francis A., and Richard J. Sundburg. Advanced Organic Chemistry: Part B: Reactions and Synthesis. Fifth ed. B. Verlag New York: Springer, 2007. Print.

Last edited:

markarich159

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
PA, USA
USP Glycerol = USP Glycerin = Save to vape regardless of any other label but on the bottle (i.e. kosher, organic, vegetable, animal, 100%, etc.)
  • Many companies decide to put all kinds of crazy labels on bottles such as "Organic" and "Kosher", but If the product is not labeled and certified by reputable organizations such as the FDA (HA!!!), USP, etc... that label cannot be trusted

Thank you Frostmonkey, this is exactly what I meant when I said previously:

Anyone can feel free to purchase VG from a health food store, and it probably will be perfectly safe( and possibly a bit less expensive), but just remember, health food products(vitamins/herbs/other health food items etc...) are not regulated to the higher standards that OTC drugs and OTC formulations labeled with the USP standard. Reference the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994 for more information on the differences.

Basically if the product is not labeled as USP, there is no guarantee as to what standards were used to produce it. If the bottle is labeled USP, you know that it is made to USP compendial standards in a FDA licensed facility using cGMP(current Good Manufacturing Practices).

redrhino

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NY,CA,FL
Sorry to reiterate (and make such a long post) but it seems a majority are missing the major points made in this thread and many others so I'll post some of the facts I have learned about Glycerol.

• USP Glycerol = USP Glycerin = Save to vape regardless of any other label but on the bottle (i.e. kosher, organic, vegetable, animal, 100%, etc.)
  • Synonyms of / Relations to (i.e. other words that are used to represent the molecular structure of C3H5(OH)3)
    • 1,2, 3-Trihydroxypropane
    • 1,2,3-Propanetriol
    • 1,2,3-PROPANETRIOL, HOMOPOLYMER
    • 1,2,3-Trihydroxypropane
    • 1,2,3-trihydroxypropanol
    • 2-TRIFLUOROMETHYL-5-METHYLENE-5H-PYRIMIDIN-4-YLIDENEAMINE
    • 4-IMINO-5-METHIDYL-2-TRIFLUOROMETHYLPYRIMIDINE
    • 90 Technical glycerine
    • Aci-jel
    • Bulbold
    • C00116
    • c0066
    • Citifluor AF 2
    • Clyzerin, wasserfrei
    • Clyzerin, wasserfrei [German]
    • Cristal
    • CRY
    • D-glycerol
    • D00028
    • Dagralax
    • From Cryoprotectant
    • From Cryoprotectant.
    • Glicerina [DCIT]
    • Glicerol [INN-Spanish]
    • Glyceol
    • Glycerin
    • Glycerin (anhydrous)
    • Glycerin (JP14/USP)
    • Glycerin (mist)
    • Glycerin mist
    • Glycerin [JAN]
    • Glycerin, anhydrous
    • Glycerin, natural
    • Glycerin, synthetic
    • Glycerine
    • Glycerine mist
    • Glycerinum
    • Glyceritol
    • Glycerol
    • Glycerol From Cryoprotect
    • Glycerol polymer
    • Glycerol, polymers
    • Glycerolum [INN-Latin]
    • Glycyl Alcohol
    • Glycylalcohol
    • Glyrol
    • Glysanin
    • GOL
    • Gol -Glycerol From Cryoprotectant
    • GRO
    • Grocolene
    • HL 80
    • IFP
    • Incorporation factor
    • L-glycerol
    • LS-1377
    • MolMap_000024
    • Moon
    • Ophthalgan
    • Optim
    • Osmoglyn
    • PGL 300
    • PGL 500
    • PGL 700
    • Polyglycerin
    • Polyglycerine
    • Polyglycerol
    • Polyhydric alcohols
    • PROPANE-1,2,3-TRIOL
    • Propanetriol
    • Propanetriol (VAN)
    • Star
    • Synthetic glycerin
    • Synthetic glycerine
    • Tegin M
    • Trihydroxypropane
    • Unigly G 2
    • Unigly G 6
    • Vitrosupos
  • In foods, beverages, and many other commercially prepared products Glycerol is used as a humectant, sweetener, solvent, preservative, and thickener. It is used for many other things and new uses for Glycerol are still being found.
  • Incompatibilities:
    • Chromium trioxide
    • Potassium chlorate
    • Potassium permanganate
    • Strong oxidizers
Again, sorry for the extremely long post. The incompatibilities listed do not generally have to be worried about by the typical vaper. Hope this clears things up for those who couldn't find the appropriate posts, as this has been extensively discussed by others way more qualified than myself, and for some reason I can't find the thread. :p I'll link it when I find it.

Edit: Meh, I can't find the exact thread/post I was looking for, but I'm sure it was by Dvap lol. Try this thread

References:

Chemical Database: Glycerol (EnvironmentalChemistry.com)
The United States Pharmacopeial Convention Many pages within this site contain great info
Glycerol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
GLYCEROL
Carey, Francis A., and Richard J. Sundburg. Advanced Organic Chemistry: Part B: Reactions and Synthesis. Fifth ed. B. Verlag New York: Springer, 2007. Print.

Thank you so much....This is great....Excellent info...Thanks again

markarich159

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
PA, USA
Oh... and another thing! Has anyone here noticed an increase in trips to the bathroom? Trying to be delicate here... hehe :D Is that bonus from the PG or the VG? Mark, you would know?

Glycerine will act as a laxative. My guess would be you're ingesting a small amount you are unaware of over the course of the day which is causing this effect. By the way Blue, Carol still has not returned my call, I placed another message in her voicemail earlier today.

markarich159

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
PA, USA
Ordered from here: Glycerin, Vegetable (Kosher USP) - Bulk - Wholesale I posted the wrong link before to a place I was also considering at the time. My bad! :(

Please note the VG is USP and so is their PG. I should get it this week sometime via UPS. Then I can start mixing... yeah! :)

I just checked this out for you Blue. You can do whatever you like, but this is cosmetic grade glycerine. Their website was very obscure about what this actually was(there is no Kosher Vegetable Glycerine listed in the USP - also it actually listed the FCC in their certification info - what does Foods Chemical Codex have to do with Pharmaceutical Glycerine). I clicked on their reseller labeling FAQ and it took me to to CFR Title 21 part 701(which deals with cosmetic labeling). Refernce here then click on the CFR 701 under the heading What about labels and the legal stuff?:

Natural Cosmetic Private Label * Organic Cosmetic Private Labeling * Private Labeling * Contract Packaging * Natural Cosmetics * Organic Skin Care * Personal Care Manufacturer * All Natural Cosmetics * Aromatherapy * Essential Oils * Essential Labs

Again Blue, it will probably be perfectly fine, and you can feel free to use it to your hearts content. I just wanted to make sure you were aware of this. Carol Jones still hasn't called me back by the way.

Last edited:

bluesuede

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2009
Central PA, USA
Mark, thanks for all you do. It's become abundantly clear to me that there's some obfuscation on the part of some companies re. labeling.

I don't think that Carol person from Vi-Jon (Swan) will ever return your phone call, by the looks of it. It would be nice if she did, but I'm not holding my breath.

In the end I ended up buying here Glycerin, Vegetable (Kosher USP) - Bulk - Wholesale
They have Propylene Glycol USP as well.

I will let you know what their labels say, just for the sake of general interest.

Go PA! :thumbs:

bluesuede

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2009
Central PA, USA
Update: Received my order from Essential Wholesale. 16 oz bottles are labled as follows:
PG: Propylene Glycol USP (on the side: natural source)
VG: Glycerine Vegetable, Kosher, FCC, USP. (on the side: natural source)

I'm somewhat befuddled by the FCC thing. I would also like to know what the natural source is for PG. Mark, would you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread