englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Seems the 92% tax bill has passed. Also

Democratic Rep. George Till says kids who use the highly addictive products are four times more likely to become smokers. He says legislators are also working on measures to raise the age to purchase them to 21 and to prevent internet sales of vapor products into Vermont.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Interesting that they managed to get this passed AFTER the published paper indicating that vaping is a better method of quitting.

The Wife pointed out that the furor over juul (which I despise on so many levels... The product, not the furor... Although that's bad, too) is BS. They claim that it's because of its flavors and that it's easy to conceal.

How's this for flavors and easy to conceal?
307667857504_3_2.jpg

869ed4decfec61cb.jpg

One of these is Nicorette gum and the other is Chiclets.

Hmmmm?

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I'd like to see legislators (of states voting for these vaping taxes)...pass a bill for a 92% tax on all alcohol products...if their real concern is "saving the children"! It's common knowledge that teens have always found ways to illegally obtain alcohol. Some of those teens:
1) can/do develop a dependence on alcohol,
2) drive under the influence and have accidents (many with deadly results),
3) drink & party to the point they think they're invincible (so they do things they otherwise likely wouldn't if sober),
4) lose their inhibitions and/or sense of good judgment, etc., etc.

Even if it could possibly "save the children" from the above...no legislators would have the kahoonas to even propose an outrageous 92% tax on alcohol though! It would be political suicide to do so!

Afterall...adults would be punished by having to pay higher taxes for purchasing a product that's perfectly legal for adult use, just because it's currently illegally obtained and used by a number of teens, too. The general public outrage that would take place in that scenario would be overwhelming!

Instead, they outrageously tax vaping products that are actually beneficial to adults...to kick a habit that has been proven detrimental to their health. When teens illegally obtain and use them...they don't cause impaired driving abilities often resulting in accidents and/or deaths, loss of inhabitions and sense of good judgment, etc., etc. Yet, there is little to no general public resistance when the ridiculously high vaping products tax is proposed! Yep...gotta do it to "save the children". ;)

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
If you don't want more taxes, stop voting for "Tax and Spend" Democrats. Anyone that thinks this has anything to do with teens or thinks this will do anything to curb teens from getting vapes, then you are just deluding yourself. This is about money, all the money, and nothing but the money.

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I am sure that there are mythical "high tax AND save the children bills" that don't work out (probably if it's tied to school funding) but I sort of would feel hard pressed to pull an example of any politician who wouldn't support such a tax.

You know, George (Herbert) the lesser... One of his TERM ONE best liked ads ran with the statement "no new taxes."

The SECOND term he used the exact same ad only with that phrase CUT. It was really hard to notice too.

I'm just saying republicans AND democrats everywhere LOVE to tax it's a politician THING.

With that said, SURE vote republican not Democrat and even MORE, libertarian or third party whatever. Just don't vote democrat (JMHO as always) because they are not officially America's communist party (JMHO as always) though last I remember I thought Vermont had a libertarian governor? Maybe he can veto it or something....

Yeah right and RIP Vermont vaping. I am willing to be a shipping transfer station... To a point. LOL.

Anna

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Anyone that thinks this has anything to do with teens or thinks this will do anything to curb teens from getting vapes, then you are just deluding yourself.

Right. If it does anything it will just make Juuls even more alluring to teens if they have to pick them up from the guy down on the corner. Forbidden fruit. Someone will take a trip over the state line and come back with a suitcase full of them.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
If a 92% Wholesale Tax on something that has Twice the Success Rate of for Quitting Smoking isn't enough to get People out in the Streets with Signs, I'm not sure what is?

I mean, what Else could they do to the Fine Folks in Vermont? Ban Online Sales of e-Cigarettes/e-Liquids?

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
"Republican Gov. Phil Scott said in his budget address late last month that he supported such a tax."
Vermont House of Representatives passes 92% tax on e-cigarettes

Governors don't write laws though, they can only sign what has been written. To be honest I have always preferred the House and Senate (State and Federal) to be primarily Republican and the Governor/President to be a Democrat. This way neither party gets a monopoly on getting their agenda pushed through and the laws that do get through tend to be more centric and make more sense.

Reactions: stols001

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
Governors don't write laws though, they can only sign what has been written. To be honest I have always preferred the House and Senate (State and Federal) to be primarily Republican and the Governor/President to be a Democrat. This way neither party gets a monopoly on getting their agenda pushed through and the laws that do get through tend to be more centric and make more sense.

Governors don't write laws but they either sign the whole bill, sign with line item vetoes, or veto the bill. And the Republican governor says he supports the tax.

I hate politics and don't typically get involved in political discussion. I don't affiliate myself with any party. I've always valued facts so that may be why I despise politics --hahaha!

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I really have no preference for either party anywhere, although I'm not politically analytical enough to figure out that kind of stuff. I would like my politicians to lie less than 49% of the time. I know it's a high bar to meet. I mean at a lot of those political meet and greets (I have been to a few, I was a kiddo growing up in Potomac MD and living near enough to the city to be invited for various purposes) well, they're saying (out loud) "Nice to meet you," but their face is going "Can't wait to pillage you." It's unfortunate.

They also used to come to a high end restaurant I worked at and etc. They drink a TON, like cigars, dirty jokes, and they tip....okay, unless they want you to accompany them somewhere private, then you get the huge, conditional tip. This was back in the early 2000s I'm sure it's gotten worse since then.

Anna

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
My dad voted Republican until the day he died. According to voter roles he voted a few times after that. lol.

These days they're pretty much one in the same. Democrats pass tax laws and say "it's for the children". Republicans raise fees and say "see, I didn't raise taxes". But they all take our money in order to further their pet causes.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
My dad voted Republican until the day he died. According to voter roles he voted a few times after that. lol.

These days they're pretty much one in the same. Democrats pass tax laws and say "it's for the children". Republicans raise fees and say "see, I didn't raise taxes". But they all take our money in order to further their pet causes.

The idea of limited government has no home today. The Republican campaign slogan could be, "We will bankrupt the nation, too, but we will do it more slowly".
Re-elect No One!

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
honestly, I base my voting choices on how my life is going during the presidency. I told my mother that, and she told me I should NOT do that, and I was like, "Listen mommy, I can only base my life on how things are going for me NOW it's so hidden agenda and lies."

The Obama years were the worst in my life (and bad for EVERY OTHER PERSON needing healthcare too. ) My life sucked and based on my experiences it sucked a lot for many other persons TOO. That was not the way to go.

Trump has his moments but I genuinely feel he is trying to invest in America and I live near the border and if we need migrant workers, grant them work visas and keep track of them.

Every single person people or drug trafficking should be locked up and I don't care where. If the found out they were going to US supermax prisons, maybe they would think harder before raping a kid and stuffing it full of opiates.

The wall will fail but man at least it's DOING SOMETHING and Obama did zero things, etc.

Sorry to get all het up. My mom had little to say, and it made me realize she could not argue it.

Am I in some ways short sighted, myopic and etc? But based on some stuff I DO care about and my life turning around (I realize it was me, too but etc.) I would vote Trump over ANY communist the democrats throw up, and I wish more people would argue that.

There are safety nets I have used them and they SUCK but if you know how to use them, you can be just FINE. It is a choice to be a drug addict and homeless and if you don't believe me, go talk to some. I have offered them help and a ride on MUTLIPLE occasions and they only want a dollar for the bus. Sorry. Nope.

Anna

Reactions: puffon

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
The idea of limited government has no home today. The Republican campaign slogan could be, "We will bankrupt the nation, too, but we will do it more slowly".
Re-elect No One!

Primaries. Vote in the primary. Only a small percentage actually vote in them. Often times it's those connected to the political party machine. So it only takes a few thousand like minded folks to boot out the old guard. Just ask Eric Cantor who thought he was the next speaker of the house a few years back.

A few hundred folks voted for another guy and Eric was done before the November election that year. His replacement did more good for the country than Eric did. Trouble was the other side figured it out and nominated a wack-o disguised as a moderate and Dave Brat was defeated in the next cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread