Status
Not open for further replies.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I haven't missed a primary since 1966 when I turned 21. They are the only source of change.

Primaries. Vote in the primary. Only a small percentage actually vote in them. Often times it's those connected to the political party machine. So it only takes a few thousand like minded folks to boot out the old guard. Just ask Eric Cantor who thought he was the next speaker of the house a few years back.

A few hundred folks voted for another guy and Eric was done before the November election that year. His replacement did more good for the country than Eric did. Trouble was the other side figured it out and nominated a wack-o disguised as a moderate and Dave Brat was defeated in the next cycle.

Pete M

Aug 5, 2018
Governors don't write laws but they either sign the whole bill, sign with line item vetoes, or veto the bill. And the Republican governor says he supports the tax.

I hate politics and don't typically get involved in political discussion. I don't affiliate myself with any party. I've always valued facts so that may be why I despise politics --hahaha!

I used to like politics when I was younger because I was an idealist. Now I like it because I'm cynical enough to find the whole game (and it totally is a game) funny. It's like a cross between football and soap opera. The prime minister is in a precarious position and all her colleagues are making "honestly, this is not a leadership bid" speeches, like vultures but with worse PR

Mind you, in the UK the news at the moment is "Brexit, snow, brexit, sport, brexit..."

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
These days they're pretty much one in the same. Democrats pass tax laws and say "it's for the children". Republicans raise fees and say "see, I didn't raise taxes". But they all take our money in order to further their pet causes.

The idea of limited government has no home today. The Republican campaign slogan could be, "We will bankrupt the nation, too, but we will do it more slowly".
Re-elect No One!

I agree 100%. This is EXACTLY why I said I prefer the law writers (House & Senate) to be Republican and the law signer (President/Governor) to be Democrat. That way neither can really get their "pet causes" passed. On the rare occasion one does get through, at least it will be the bankrupt us slowly kind. The more gridlocked the government is, the better "We the people" are, since the only things that can get passed are the things everyone agrees on.

• Agree
Reactions: United States
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread