Very disappointed with sub ohm vaping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

quovadis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
Florida USA
I started vaping ages ago back in 2007 or thereabouts.
The only ecigs available then were either 510 or older type 801 atomizers.
We then bought the chucks and vaped on 6 volts with 5 ohm atomizers for a while. (Custom made Vivi Nova 5 ohm coils)
This "while" lasted for years, and I am a little "out of the loop".
I recently bought an IPV mini 70 watts with a few subohm tanks (Kanger, Artic, Herakles etc, 0.5~1.2 OHMS).
The internet is riddled with videos of guys blowing huge clouds of vapor with these sub ohm systems. This intrigued me.
What they do not tell you, is that it is impossible to take a mouth to lung puff, because these tanks afford too much airflow.
Personally, I feel very uneasy breathing anything directly into my lungs. My older 801 and 510 atomizers sometimes spurted out liquid.
I would like your thoughts on this one?

I find that a mouth puff gives you more taste. It's sort of wasted if it goes directly into the lungs.
Another thing I discovered is that these sub-ohm tanks vape much hotter than my previous e cigs. I cannot get a cool/cold vape no matter what wattage I use.

Thirdly, The kanger sub ohm mini coil crackles loudly, sort of Pops loudly from time to time. This greatly annoys me and adds to my lung inhale paranoia.
I'm a little stuck at the moment, and do not know what ecig/tank/coil system to transition to.
:(

vapero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
monterrey,mexico
if you are looking for mouth to lung then you need a more restrictive airflow. and with a more restricted airflow you shouldns go really low on the ohms or you will burn your wicks. I no longer do mouth to lung but a good closed rda at .5 ohms will let you take 2-3 second vapes to the mouth and work really good

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
I vape at around 0.7-0.9 ohm and mouth inhale just fine. Cool vapor, too. Not as in cold cold. But not warm or hot. It may get warm if chain vaping. Which to me is anything more than a few minutes.

Then again I mainly drop below the mystical 1 ohm mark for ease of coiling on mesh wicks and quick heat-up. Not for blowing clouds.

You may find that the best vape for you is (unfortunately) one you make yourself. There are a lot of variations between setups within all resistance ranges. You can have a super hot 2 ohm setup, or you can have a 0.1 ohm setup so inefficient it hardly brings liquids to a simmer. Or anything in between or outside those ranges.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
You can close the subtank airflow almost completely off enough to get a decent mouth to lung hit from it if you want. Also, if you use the RTA section of the subtank it does close off the airflow considerably and a mouth to lung inhale is easily possible.

Volume vaping is not for everyone (as you've found) and I think a lot of people who buy in to the hype of these new gen of clearomizers do not realize they are predominantly for direct lung inhales. It's not necessarily a sub ohm thing, more a design of the airflow of the tanks you are using.

quovadis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
Florida USA
Thank you all for your replies.
I found that blocking all the air on the kanger gives me an even hotter vape. It is true the Arctic coil does not pop like the kanger. I still have to try the Heracles.
I think that before I give this "sub-ohm" up definitively, I do have to build some coils higher than 1.2 ohms. to try to see if I get a cooler vape.
Another thing I forgot to mention is that these sub tanks are a stealth vapers nightmare!!

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
1.2ohm coil
1/2 or 1 hole open
Same as a basic Quality Clearo

You do not have to have massive air flow

You might also loom into a Protank wit hthe addition of an Areotank AFC base
Will adjust from decent air flow to NO Air flow

I easily do mouth to lung on an Orchid Dual Air hole, Dual Coil .3ohm Tank - and can lung inhale if desired.

Jumping from a Chevette into a Corvette, you will experience an initial anxiety.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Higher ohms will give a cooler vape, if that's what you prefer.

I had always preferred a cooler vape and also resisted anything sub ohm for several months. People do and can adapt to other preferences with the right combination of resistance, air flow, adequate wicking, etc.

I'm currently using a Kayfun Lite Plus rebuildable tank atomizer @ 1.5 ohms (mouth to lung/tight draw), and a Patriot rebuildable drip atomizer dual coil build @ 0.6 ohms using direct lung inhales (which by the way is a cool enough vape for me with this setup). Great flavor, vapor production, and ease of changing flavors at a whim.

That said, sub-ohms is not for everyone.

Last edited:

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
East Midlands, United Kingdom
I agree sub ohm isn't all some make it out to be not in my experience but I gotta defend the subtank here (even though kanger are annoying the hell out of me at the minute with how they do business) it is a very versatile little tank and I only do mouth to lung and it is as pleasurable for me as the lemo though flavour is better on the lemo. That said I don't bother with the premade heads I go straight to the rba section and prefer above 1ohm coils in that one air hole or two at a push and I get a relatively cool vape with plenty of flavour. Great thing with making your own coils is you can truly customise your vape to yourself and once you've got the basics sorted it takes no time at all.

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
Higher ohms will give a cooler vape, if that's what you prefer.

I had always preferred a cooler vape and also resisted anything sub ohm for several months. People do and can adapt to other preferences with the right combination of resistance, air flow, adequate wicking, etc.

I'm currently using a Kayfun Lite Plus rebuildable tank atomizer @ 1.5 ohms (mouth to lung/tight draw), and a Patriot rebuildable drip atomizer dual coil build @ 0.6 ohms using direct lung inhales (which by the way is a cool enough vape for me with this setup). Great flavor, vapor production, and ease of changing flavors at a whim.

Sub-ohms is not for everyone.

I'm the same way. I typically build 1-1.2 on my drippers and 1.2-1.4+/- on my Kayfuns. Plenty of everything for me. Everyone is different.

I've been really enjoying my simple stupid aero and genitanks with v3 adjustable airflow and simple dual coil 1.8ohm heads. They never leak or gurgle. It's all I use outside of the house and I don't really care about going through 1 head every 7-10 days. They're only 1.20 from FT. Volume vapers won't like that sort of vape but it works fine for me.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
We then bought the chucks and vaped on 6 volts with 5 ohm atomizers for a while. (Custom made Vivi Nova 5 ohm coils)
I recently bought an IPV mini 70 watts with a few subohm tanks (Kanger, Artic, Herakles etc, 0.5~1.2 OHMS).
The internet is riddled with videos of guys blowing huge clouds of vapor with these sub ohm systems. This intrigued me.
What they do not tell you, is that it is impossible to take a mouth to lung puff, because these tanks afford too much airflow.
Personally, I feel very uneasy breathing anything directly into my lungs. My older 801 and 510 atomizers sometimes spurted out liquid.

I find that a mouth puff gives you more taste. It's sort of wasted if it goes directly into the lungs.
Another thing I discovered is that these sub-ohm tanks vape much hotter than my previous e cigs. I cannot get a cool/cold vape no matter what wattage I use.

Thirdly, The kanger sub ohm mini coil crackles loudly, sort of Pops loudly from time to time. This greatly annoys me and adds to my lung inhale paranoia.
I'm a little stuck at the moment, and do not know what ecig/tank/coil system to transition to.

1:
What they do not tell you, is that it is impossible to take a mouth to lung puff, because these tanks afford too much airflow
Well if you want to blow out a litre or two of cloud, you can't just suck in a mouthful.

2:
I feel very uneasy breathing anything directly into my lungs.
That's a good thing; once you get used to a particular setup, you'd know when it's safe to take in a full breath.

3:
these sub-ohm tanks vape much hotter than my previous e cigs. I cannot get a cool/cold vape no matter what wattage I use.
when experimenting with a new tank, the tank tends to heat up, which causes the coil to flood, which tends to have you running it at high power, which heats the tank up more...........................

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Doesn't Wire size play a Role in all this?

When I do a "What If" for .8 Ohms using a Single Coil of Kanthal A1 26ga, I get a Heat Flux @ 15W of 166 mW/mm by this calculator.

Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

But when I do the same .8 Ohms /15W using 28ga, I get 333 mW/mm

I know that Heat Flux is just a "Guideline" value. But Shouldn't a Person see a Hotter Vape on the 28ga for these Two Builds at the Same Ohms/Watts?

Yozhik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2015
Chicago, IL
I also am not a fan of sub-ohm so far, but I've found that the Kanger subtank works as a good mouth-to-lung setup using the RDA section. It still runs a little warm on a 1 ohm coil, but I will bump that up on the next build. As for spitting, I found that to be the biggest problem with the OCC coils and the original drip tip. Now that I use the RDA section and a different drip tip (one that tapers in at the middle), it's rarely an issue. In the end, the Kanger hasn't replaced my favorite tank (Nautilus Mini), but it's a lot more convenient for me when trying out new e-liquids, so it has its place.

dashreeve

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2014
Florida
Thank you all for your replies.
I found that blocking all the air on the kanger gives me an even hotter vape. It is true the Arctic coil does not pop like the kanger. I still have to try the Heracles.
I think that before I give this "sub-ohm" up definitively, I do have to build some coils higher than 1.2 ohms. to try to see if I get a cooler vape.
Another thing I forgot to mention is that these sub tanks are a stealth vapers nightmare!!

I ran into the same issues, don't like hot vapor, don't like to lung inhale. My Kanger mini was too hot even with the 1.2 coil, I even tried different drip tips, but still too hot. Finally put the RBA section in and built a 1.3, now it's nice and cool to mildly warm with thick vapor @ 13 watts. Only found my sweet spot between enough vapor / flavor / correct temperature; building the coils myself.

KGB7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rockville, MD

I sub ohm on a Lemo and do direct lung hits all day long with large clouds. I have no issues at all. You can vape with out doing direct lung hits and with out big clouds. You need to learn to inhale and not suck on it like a vacuum cleaner.

I can get cool vape or hot vape on a 24g wire. So I know you can get cool vape at lower wattage.

Make your own coil and it wont crackle pop.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread