Status
Not open for further replies.

flintlock62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2012
Arkansas Delta
Excuse me, but what do you mean by 7 tube twist?

Thanks guys. I just came in from the shop, rebuilding my wife's AGA. About once every two weeks, it doesn't suck being married to me. I just built her the perfectest 7 tube twist with a 5 wrap of 26 K (tight stacked, full contact wraps) .8Ω. And I found these notes from ya'll. :)

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com

BigCypress

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2010
RI
he2a4ahy.jpg

e7yhy2ur.jpg

ujere9ad.jpg

5agedu3e.jpg

I know its reallyhard to see but that's a triple wick. With twisted 32 kanthal coil. Just about 1ohm.

I couldn't get the wraps to all touch. But its working really well.

Really good wicking.

Ill let you know how it goes as I break it in. :eek::thumbup::p:D:D:cool::thumbup::thumbup::what::D:eek:

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
how important is it pdib, that the pos and neg legs be equal distance to posts?
could that be why i'm always getting top hot spots? my neg leg is almost nothing, but top pos. is always about 2-3mm...
Yeah, so I knew, with a vertical wick, one was gonna have to go down, so I crossed the other to give it some length too, and equalize distances. (thanx for noticing, ukeman)

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
I'm gonna say very important for short wire applications, and less so for long. If you're doing a 2 wrap in a dripper, its really gonna make a big difference because you're only using 1 1/4" of wire. With even a 3/4 wrap on a genisis, I don't think it matters that much. Can you post a picture of your troublesome setup, Ukeman?

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
not going to ask what the first wick is but i can guess...cotton... you seem to like lots of coils (for juice distribution) what resistance are you getting with 8, 9, 10 wraps?
BTW, I've taken to putting a step/kink in my neg. lead on my genny setups. Not because of leg length; rather, because its a great way to adjust bottom coil tension, and it gets my wire off the deck. To adjust tighter, I push the "knee" in and looser I pull out.

View attachment 198818 View attachment 198819

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
so tight doesn't mean touching? or does it?
These are not typical of my preferences. I had gotten a mini DID clone, and was messing around with stuff to make it work. I was shooting for 1.5-1.8Ω. On my AGAs and IGO, I'm really liking 5 wrap coils of 26g, where they are all stacked tight, like a solid collar. (.8Ω)

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
Yep. Tight means touching. Sometimes I'll even torch the coil and squeeze those little buggers together with parallel action pliers. The coil at the start of this thread isn't that tight because I was being forgiving with a new quick design; but later versions are touching tight. It really enhances kick and flavor.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
I'm big on 26g (and even 26 Nichrome, which is the equivalent of 25 Kanthal). I don't find it hard to work with; but, I wrap on drill bits (loose, not in the Atty). Last night, I wrapped Nextel XC-116 with 26 K right onto the braid. No drill bit. 4 or 5 wraps, tight on a 1/8 " ID nets .6 - .8 ohms. Good stuff!

5 wraps 26 Nichrome = .7
5 wraps 26 Kanthal = .8 ohm

weisner

ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2012
Costa Mesa, CA
BTW, I've taken to putting a step/kink in my neg. lead on my genny setups. Not because of leg length; rather, because its a great way to adjust bottom coil tension, and it gets my wire off the deck. To adjust tighter, I push the "knee" in and looser I pull out.

View attachment 198818 View attachment 198819

Nice tip, this may also help if your resistance is too low and you need to use up some more wilre.

scooterholic

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2013
Nampa, Idaho
Thanks pdib, I tried this last night with three wicks and keeping my coils very close together and this works great. It was late and I could not get rid of the top leg hot spot, so I just wrapped wire around it lol. When I have some time I will make a new one and try to keep the coil tension more even. Thanks again this is the best wick I've made yet. :vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread