Volcano exclusivity question/gripe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freeality

Apr 28, 2012
Olympia, WA
Greetings fellow vv vapers! So I almost got suckered into a twice-the-price vv device, but thanks to ya'll on here I went with Apollo's slammin 30% off deal on all vtubes and got the chrome/copper one for way cheap. I stopped by at my local volcano vapor cafe, where i got my first ego-type device, and was talking to one of the guys there that is pretty chill, and was trying some flavors (just for fun since i started diying anyway and their juice is just ok) and the guy said that it was actually ILLEGAL for me to have the "knockoff" lavatube and that the company could actually sue me as well as apollo!? That just seems unlikely. I know they want to keep up the myth that their tube is different than the "fakes" but come on. Chime in if you can provide any validity to their story. I do want to say though that the folks at volcano have been really helpful along the way, just dodgey when talking about anything other than volcano products(which makes sense, just has kind of a corporate-feel to it, which is what they are so...)

Algernon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2010
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
www.flickr.com
I don't like Volcano thanks to that sort of behavior. It's almost as if they think they are the only e-cigarette retailer on the face of planet Earth, and the $99 pricetag for the kit? Are they kidding?

Then again, I feel like some of their most loyal customers may be ignorant to that truth, that there are indeed other stores that are just as reputable(if not a whole lot more reputable) and that volcano is simply rebranding everything sold by everyone else.

I keep waiting on the day I run into a vaper who thinks that volcano's stuff is top notch and that they actually make the lavatube in-house. It will happen one day, and it may not be pretty. I'll bring tissues.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Is the selling price of ipads and iphones and xbox's a violation of the fta? If so, someone owes me a lot of money!

IMO ... YES!
    If it is in their company owned/franchised stores, fine. If they are refusing to wholesale to other companies based on resale pricing, they are in violation of the law.
    If another company wants to enter into a marketing agreement, they have every right to do so. But they can not be refused an agreement based on resale pricing.

Last edited:

ejervjero

ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2012
    Raleigh,NC
    IMO ... YES!
    If it is in their company owned/franchised stores, fine. If they are refusing to wholesale to other companies based on resale pricing, they are in violation of the law.
    If another company wants to enter into a marketing agreement, they have every right to do so. But they can not be refused an agreement based on resale pricing.

We have a volcano lounge here one of the few in the states about 15 minute drive from my house. The few times I have walked in there with my Lrider/LavaTube whatever you wish to call it everyone asks me if I bought it there. I just reply with "No I got it $30 cheaper and with a bigger kit over at xyz".

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 29, 2009
    Lakeland, FL
    You'd think that any vendor dealing with China would know that, if you send them specs on a device you want built, they're gonna turn right around and make/sell them to everyone else. Sometimes there's subtle differences in the devices, sometimes they're straight out exact copies. Look at what happened to Janty when they contracted Joyetech to make their ego. Within a month there were a dozen manufacturers putting out comparable or identical devices.

If Volcano wanted exclusivity, they should have gone to a manufacturer in a country that has some concept of patent rights. Sure the Chinese would eventually copycat them, but at least you'd have a little time to profit. Look how long it took them to start making variable voltage stuff after devices like the Provari, Darwin, etc came out. It's not just ecig stuff either. Phones, tablets....hell, you name it.

I can sympathize with Volcano to a certain degree, but they should have seen this coming from a mile away.

Ratchet

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    I like Volcano, but mainly because of the 1 year warranty. I do own 2 original LT's, a black one and the Chrome but it's not because it's a Volcano, it's because I have a whole year of warranty, so if something goes wrong with one (which it already did, LCD display was malfunctioning - free exchange, they even paid return shipping) I can get it repaired/exchanged.

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 29, 2009
    Lakeland, FL
    Don't get me wrong, Volcano is a reputable company which has (in my experience) excellent customer service. I'm just saying they shouldn't be surprised that their Chinese manufacturer screwed them. I'm pretty sure that someone in the company knew this was a possibility, but the employee that the OP dealt with obviously didn't.

Ratchet

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Don't get me wrong, Volcano is a reputable company which has (in my experience) excellent customer service. I'm just saying they shouldn't be surprised that their Chinese manufacturer screwed them. I'm pretty sure that someone in the company knew this was a possibility, but the employee that the OP dealt with obviously didn't.

Naturally, they should have known this would happen. Unless you trademark the design, someone will use it and slap their own logo on it....... That's just how it is. They shouldn't get testy about it but simply accept it...... :) I don't mind paying the extra $20 for the Volcano brand but like I said, only because of the warranty...

Freddie

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 19, 2012
    The NETWORK
    Volcano ONLY has the PATENT RIGHTS to the name NOT the device as it stands for right NOW! You cannot be SUED for having an APOLLO VTUBE! NO where on APOLLO'S VTUBE product does it say Lavatube! So YOU have NOTHING to worry about! There is NOTHING special about Volcano's Lavatube! ALL the devices that come from L-Rider are the same, EXCEPT for APOLLO having EXCLUSIVITY to the SS VERSION!

Last edited:

NancyR

Account closed on request
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2012
    Washington State
    From my understanding of what happened Volcano broke the agreement that gave them naming rights, which then allowed other companies to call it whatever they wanted, as to Volcano's warranty if you read the one at Apollo, Apollo's is actually better as not only do they have the same year, but they have the 6 month money back that Volcano doesn't.

Personal experience tho, I started out buying from Volcano as that was where my boyfriend had always done business, couple years ago they where a great company, what I have seen and even the cs he has received after buying his LT, they have just gotten a bit too big for their britches.

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 29, 2009
    Lakeland, FL
    ....You cannot be SUED for having an APOLLO VTUBE!

Even if they could, which they can't, what lawyer would even consider taking the suit. Basic rule for lawyers is to look for the deep pocket. The lawyer wouldn't make a dime off most of us.

On a side note....Freddie, really like the avatar, but I can spot your posts without even looking at the name or the pic. You really got a thing for the CAPS LK key huh? :)

Freddie

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 19, 2012
    The NETWORK
    Even if they could, which they can't, what lawyer would even consider taking the suit. Basic rule for lawyers is to look for the deep pocket. The lawyer wouldn't make a dime off most of us.

On a side note....Freddie, really like the avatar, but I can spot your posts without even looking at the name or the pic. You really got a thing for the CAPS LK key huh? :)
    Hahaha...LOL! Yup, that's ME! It gets on people's nerves, BUT it doesn't matter to ME because YOU either like me or dislike me! Either way it is like DUST OFF my shoulder! :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread