Voopoo Drag/Gene chip TCR conversions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Labubs

Jan 26, 2015
Northeast PA
What are the comparable TCR settings for this mod? I get dry hits on SS at 1300, and while enabling TC mode opens the full range of 0-6000, nothing I've tried feels right. I've tried 0088, I've tried 1800(as seen in other threads), and even 6000. They all kind of feel the same. What are other peoples experiences? This chip really need a TCR conversion chart.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
If it’s 316ss I believe the tcr is 92. So if the drag box has four digits that would be 0092. I usually set the tcr on my mod, not the drag box, to 105. I’m using the uwell crown .5 factory coils which are ss but there has been some talk of the legs being a different metal so that could be why 92 doesn’t work as good for my coils. Anyway good luck I hope you get it figured out.

Labubs

Jan 26, 2015
Northeast PA
That's just the weird thing, this chip seems to have its own values. Default SS setting is 1300. So does 1300 =0088? It's very confusing, especially when people say they get good results at the 1300. I haven't, I get dry hits at 1300 and 30 watts. It's strange that they completely changed the values especially without any conversion charts released.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
That's just the weird thing, this chip seems to have its own values. Default SS setting is 1300. So does 1300 =0088? It's very confusing, especially when people say they get good results at the 1300. I haven't, I get dry hits at 1300 and 30 watts. It's strange that they completely changed the values especially without any conversion charts released.
is there a default ni200 or Ti setting and if so, what is it?

Labubs

Jan 26, 2015
Northeast PA
You know, I was just looking at these mods.
I use SS430 or NiFe52, so experimenting with unknown numbers to get the proper TCR is off-putting.

The mod itself is excellent, and once conversion charts come out I'd highly recommend one. Comfortable despite being a box (the 'cut' corner opposite the 510 makes all the difference), extremely accurate ohm read, and escribe like software to change the screens/fonts and set wattage/temp rampup(can also be done through the mod itself), and ability to remove Ni or Ti or SS from the click through, or add Nc or plain TC to it. For the price you really can't beat it. It's just the 4 digit TC values that don't match the 'standard' values that's confusing.

Reactions: rachanfa

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
The mod itself is excellent, and once conversion charts come out I'd highly recommend one. For the price you really can't beat it. It's just the 4 digit TC values that don't match the 'standard' values that's confusing.

That may be, but if it doesn't provide the option to vape the way I vape, then it's useless.
I'm learning how responsive their customer service is. I've had a 'Contact Us' in to them regarding this. I'll see how long it takes for a reply, even 'Sorry just use regular coils' as usual from Shenzhen.
Here's what I sent them, easy to understand I think.
I vape SS430 and NiFe52 so must use TCR mode on mods.
Your TCR settings are very different than my other mods.
What value would I use for SS430, NiFe52?
TCR for SS430 is 0.00138
TCR for NiFe52 is 0.00405

BlackCRX

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Vancouver Canada
I own this Drag mod and I have to say that I am pretty impressed with it. Comparable to my DNA and Joyetech devices running arctic fox.

That said, the only downfall I see with this mod is the lack of coil resistance refinement or correction. Meaning it does not check the coil resistance over time to confirm that the initial resistance is correct. I have somewhat found a way around this tho. Build and wick your coil as you normally would, for me it is either 0.24 ohm for dual fused clapton 26 or 0.42 ohm for dual fused clapton 28 using all SS wire. Fire the coil until it hits temp control/limit, quickly unscrew the coil until the mod reads no atomizer and screw it back down. You should see the "new coil" message, at this point click + for new coil and 5 clicks to turn it off. Leave it for 10 mins or so and turn it back on, you will notice that the coil resistance has now changed from the previous "hot" coil.

The reason I posted this method or preform this method is so the mod can read a resistance with the tank already stabilized on the mod. If you simply screw down the mod, I personally am not certain or confident in when the resistance is being read. Depending on if it is read on initial tank contact of fully seated contact. This may not seem like much, maybe 0.05ohm or so, but in temp control mode this could be the difference between a hot flaming dry hit or a smooth vape. I have had nothing but smooth vapes and good results with this device.

@Labubs I would try the method I mentioned and see if it helps with your dry hit situation.

@Eskie @ShowerHead as for the TCR, I agree they are a little off. Keep in mind that Ni200 is 6000 and they are using 6500, Ti is is 3600 and they are using 4000. It is not that far off, I personally only use SS316L coils so I can not confirm how accurate these are. Also keep in mind a lot of mod manufactures do not even publish their TCR settings so for all we know they could be way way off. I remember Joyetech when they first release temp control, their default SS profile was unbearably hot and was giving me burnt/dry hits at 420-450F.

I am using the default SS316 profile at 1300 and I was a little skeptical at first but I am very impressed. It is a tad warmer than most default SS316 profiles but not by much. Phil B did an in depth temp and firing analysis on youtube (using the default settings) and his temperatures were within 10F (IIRC). His video is what made me pull the trigger.

NiFe52 is quite close in TCR to Ti and I have seen/read several ppl using it on the Ti profile and has had good results (in general but not with this mod)

I know it is a gamble purchasing something that you do not feel 100% confident with but that is just my personal take on this mod. But if you do decide to take the plunge, you can always play with the TCR settings until you get something you like or get a thermal coupler so you can test the temperatures yourself until you find an accurate TCR

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
I know it is a gamble purchasing something

While I appreciate your detailed reply, there is no way I’m buying a mod with a wholly unknown TCR system.
I don’t care about the built in metals, I just need to know what values the manufacturer says will work for the metals I use. Or just outline how the numbers work, then I could do the math.
Not at all likely that I’ll be buying test equipment to set an inexpensive mod with other problems to do TCR when so many others at various price ranges to it well using known values.
If you are going to be completely different, it is on you to show how to use your method.

Been several days since I asked the manufacturer how to set TCR.
Still no answer.

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
Valid points all around.

That being said, you're probably better off staying with the main stream mods like DNA or Joyetech.

Oh, I have a few mods. DNAs, YiHis, FSK, Tesla, Aspire, Rader, Joyetech.
None keep secret how to set TCR. Rader uses an odd way ‘per mille’ but still using the standard TCR values.

I agree with ‘value priced’ mods the built in metals may or may not be the best choice. You can always use TCR to make it a better vape.

This looked like a good mod to have, but with the resistance and TCR issues, I’ll give it a pass.

Reactions: Eskie

Evi|grin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2013
Im glad this has come up because i use SS and i also want to try other grades such as 430SS or 317. Being able to set a known TCR value is high on my list of needs. Ive been keeping an eye out for the the Newbie 80watt. Not many places have them yet and reviews are almost nonexistent.

Labubs

Jan 26, 2015
Northeast PA
I too w
Im glad this has come up because i use SS and i also want to try other grades such as 430SS or 317. Being able to set a known TCR value is high on my list of needs. Ive been keeping an eye out for the the Newbie 80watt. Not many places have them yet and reviews are almost nonexistent.
I too want the Newbie.I prefer 80w single Batt mods. The GENE chip and its software is excellent for the price point, it's just that TCR issue.

Luckily SS316/17 can be vaped in wattage. Ive found 430SS to be the best for TC, so I hope the conversions come out or a future update changes to the standard values (which being 4 digit would be even better!) and also add a check box for Auto-Off. 10 minutes is far too short, it should have been an hour, I downgraded to 1.0.0.1 as every time i went to vape I had to go through the entire start up.

Voopoo is on the edge of being a serious contender, or at least the GENE chip is, especially for the price point. The POTENTIAL for top dogs being DNA, YiHi, GENE is there. It's still fairly new so I have hope!

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
While I agree with the premise, this idea seems to pop up every time a mod fails to do TC properly.
TC and wattage are not interchangeable as far as the vaping experience you get when either are dialed in correctly.
The only way I can see that being a 'Good Thing' is if you bought a mod with no background on it, have lost your other mods, have SS316 available. Then it may get you through until you can acquire a mod that does TC properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread