Status
Not open for further replies.

mackman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
NorCal
I am a vaper who is obsessed with building wick and coils. I have lately gotten the REO bug. I have a Provari which I dearly love and a bunch of mechanicals, some get use others don't. I am looking to add a REO Grand and a RM2 rda to the mix. I have heard so many fine things about them. I see that a lot of members in the Provari forum own them too. I vape 100% VG and am big into flavor of liquids and DIY my juice in addition to buying my favorites.

My main question is on battery life and vapor production or lack of. The one thing that I don't enjoy about the mechanicals is as the battery charge depletes the vapor production and flavor do too. It seems that I always am replacing the battery with a fully charged one even though it is not near discharged. I was wondering how the REO compares. Really that is the only issue that has me hesitating.

So please enlighten me and let me know what extras I should get (I have seen other posts where the prospective buyer is loading up on everything) and if you have links to specific posts that may help that would be appreciated. Til them I will scour the REO Lounge.

Dturp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Okc
If you're replacing the batteries often to get the vape you want you need to run lower ohm coils. I try and set mine up so it's almost to hot to handle on a fresh battery that way it tapers down over the first half hour to a perfect level. Then stays there for about 5 or 6 hours before tapering off to a point I feel I need a new battery. But it really sounds like you are just setting up to high compared to where you should be.

element77

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2012
Atl, Ga
I am a vaper who is obsessed with building wick and coils. I have lately gotten the REO bug. I have a Provari which I dearly love and a bunch of mechanicals, some get use others don't. I am looking to add a REO Grand and a RM2 RDA to the mix. I have heard so many fine things about them. I see that a lot of members in the Provari forum own them too. I vape 100% VG and am big into flavor of liquids and DIY my juice in addition to buying my favorites.

My main question is on battery life and vapor production or lack of. The one thing that I don't enjoy about the mechanicals is as the battery charge depletes the vapor production and flavor do too. It seems that I always am replacing the battery with a fully charged one even though it is not near discharged. I was wondering how the REO compares. Really that is the only issue that has me hesitating.

So please enlighten me and let me know what extras I should get (I have seen other posts where the prospective buyer is loading up on everything) and if you have links to specific posts that may help that would be appreciated. Til them I will scour the REO Lounge.
You can add a kick to keep your voltage constant throughout the usable charge of the battery. RTDvapor.com sells the kick and you can read about it in lots of threads around here (sorry I don't have the links) I find w/such a big batt as the 18650 on 1ohm coils I really get a looong time out of the batts before changing. In terms of vapor and flavor I also use 100%VG and diy, and the thread on micro coils by super X is superb on bringing clouds to the masses:D
I once really wanted a provari when they were the stock answer to what do I buy. However I found this little corner of ECF and went with the REO instead. It was a pivotal moment in my vaping experience that I know you will soon share. It's Sunday night, pull the trigger, it'll be here next week and you can post pics of clouds that never end with a onboard juice feeding system. Right now it really has never been better to join Reoville with the RM2, micro coils and cotton.
Welcome home:)

yolo_

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Strawberry Fields
Hi mackman :)

When using coils at 2.5 on my grand i had to change the batteries at 1/2 bottle of juice. But since i have started using 2.0 coils i get a whole bottle finished.

My batts are down to 3.5 or 3.6 before i change them. So when i refill my bottle i change batteries.

I think it really depends on how warm you like your vapor...

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
I am a vaper who is obsessed with building wick and coils. I have lately gotten the REO bug. I have a Provari which I dearly love and a bunch of mechanicals, some get use others don't. I am looking to add a REO Grand and a RM2 RDA to the mix. I have heard so many fine things about them. I see that a lot of members in the Provari forum own them too. I vape 100% VG and am big into flavor of liquids and DIY my juice in addition to buying my favorites.

VV Grand would be the one to get if thats your main concern.

MamaTried

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Northern California
VV Grand would be the one to get if thats your main concern.

i respectfully sorta-kinda-maybe disagree, especially if you want to change your batts before they drop below a certain voltage.

maybe it's just me. sometimes i can detect when performance drops below the level where i should change the batt, other times not, and i let them discharge below the level i would have liked. to me (being battery-challenged) it seems to happen more often with VVG.

i think i need to ask Scott for a PermaHickey...

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
i respectfully sorta-kinda-maybe disagree, especially if you want to change your batts before they drop below a certain voltage.

maybe it's just me. sometimes i can detect when performance drops below the level where i should change the batt, other times not, and i let them discharge below the level i would have liked. to me (being battery-challenged) it seems to happen more often with VVG.

i think i need to ask Scott for a PermaHickey...

So Dennis, set me straight here. IF you are using VV and its set at 4.5 volts and the voltage drops below 4.5 volts, it does not shut down?

MamaTried

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Northern California
So Dennis, set me straight here. IF you are using VV and its set at 4.5 volts and the voltage drops below 4.5 volts, it does not shut down?

never really measured.

all i know is when i noticed my VV vape get "bad", often a battery or two would be very low, below where i've read most folks recharge.

what's your experience with kick/kick2?

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
So, as to the original question: other than clean contacts, and the voltage drop lost to any particular mechanical mod, the battery life issue and the "sagging vape" is really about which batteries one is using. One can clean their mod's contacts, and one can build to suit voltage drop (build your coil a little hotter); but runtime is about battery quality and design.

What batteries have you been powering your mech.s with, Mackman?

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
With the Kick when it can't meet the wattage you have it set at it cuts off. It will not fire.

For me personally when I pull my 18490s out after the cut off they measure about 3.4v. My wattage is generally set at 10.5 watts. My batteries are fairly old so I think it might be possible that new cells might bring cut off voltage lower but I don't know. I'm far from being a battery expert.

AW IMRs, according to their specs, can be brought down to 2.5 volts with no damage to the cell. That will shorten the life of the cell but by how much no one really seems to know. If its 20 or 30% lower no big deal. They last a long time and are fairly inexpensive considering how long their longevity is.

Sorry, I didn't intend to hijack the thread.

Vash

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2012
ethervapes.com
If you're replacing the batteries often to get the vape you want you need to run lower ohm coils. I try and set mine up so it's almost to hot to handle on a fresh battery that way it tapers down over the first half hour to a perfect level. Then stays there for about 5 or 6 hours before tapering off to a point I feel I need a new battery. But it really sounds like you are just setting up to high compared to where you should be.

This is what I do too :) Kicks out crazy vapor for first hour or so and then stays perfect for better part of the day .

mackman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
NorCal
So, as to the original question: other than clean contacts, and the voltage drop lost to any particular mechanical mod, the battery life issue and the "sagging vape" is really about which batteries one is using. One can clean their mod's contacts, and one can build to suit voltage drop (build your coil a little hotter); but runtime is about battery quality and design.

What batteries have you been powering your mech.s with, Mackman?

Been powering them only with Aw's. Mainly Aw 18650 2000 mah and 1600 mah. Tried AW 18350 700mah ( for stealth; vape time too short) and AW 18490 1100mah.

To clarify and I hope this is worded correctly, in the mechanicals the last vape before the battery change is vastly different ( hit and flavor) from the first. I tend to be chain vaper so I know the "time of vape" measurement is very subjective to many factors. From the replies so far I get an indication of vape time and quality in general without knowing specifics. I am aware of how the coil build and voltage setting will affect battery life as well as taste, smoothness, temperature and flavor of the vapor. Is there a "preferred" ohms for the Reomizer coil?
It would be much easier if I were able to "test drive" one.

Last edited:

dustinmj

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
If I'm satisfied with what I've set up at 4.1-4.2 volts, then I'm almost always wanting more at 3.8. Lately I've gone the route of using tiny (Nano?) coils in higher resistance wire (30 usually, sometimes 32) which gives a more instantaneous 'on' and I can easily adjust my hit by the length of my pull. So as the battery gets lower, my pulls get longer, and I stay happy.

mackman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
NorCal
OK I have spent the evening scouring the forum, watching the YouTube videos and reading the reviews and I am convinced. So a couple more questions. I have decided to get the Grand, I see no advantage to the mini. If the color I want is listed as out of stock notify me, how long might I have to wait for it to be stocked? How long to ship, I'm in NorCal? Does it come with anything like extra juice bottle, spring or should I get those. I plan on getting the Reomizer and a couple of atomizer (any preferences or recommendations?). Anything else?

Thanks

Matthee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
Koringberg, South Africa
The Grand is a great choice imo. PM redeyedancer (Rob, owner of Reosmods) about the colour you want, he will help you out almost immediately. You have to order the extra juice bottle(s), spring, o ring, post srews, etc. Shipping I can't help, live far away. Have never used the other attys, only the RM2, so can not give any pointers there. Congrats. Keep us updated.

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
OK I have spent the evening scouring the forum, watching the YouTube videos and reading the reviews and I am convinced. So a couple more questions. I have decided to get the Grand, I see no advantage to the mini. If the color I want is listed as out of stock notify me, how long might I have to wait for it to be stocked? How long to ship, I'm in NorCal? Does it come with anything like extra juice bottle, spring or should I get those. I plan on getting the Reomizer and a couple of atomizer (any preferences or recommendations?). Anything else?

Thanks

You will be very happy with the Grand!

If the color you want is out of stock just PM Robert (redeyedancer) and he will send you an invoice. Also in your PM tell him what else you want to order.

Your REO will ship quick. Robert ships on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. You will get a shipping email with tracking from PayPal. You will need to sign for delivery. Probably about 3 days to reach CA.

The LR atomizers Robert has on reosmods work well and are good to have for back-ups.

Get 1 or 2 springs. Just in case you have a short.

A button top is nice and comfortable.

You will get a bottle in your REO plus one more. You will also get a reducer tube with your REO.

A couple RM2 screws are good to keep on hand.

Get some wire, at least a 28 and 30 gauge, if you do not have any.

You won't need to buy peace of mind. It comes with your REO!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread