Status
Not open for further replies.

cmccl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
Verdi, NV
Hello REO fans,

I am here to learn more about REOs... I am thinking of getting one for my father for Christmas. He quit smoking (after 50+ years) about 6 months ago. He currently uses a Provari Mini with the extension and the 18490 battery and complains that he can't put it in his pocket. I was thinking he might prefer a REO. He vapes Boba's Bounty about 98% of the time.

I know many prefer the REOs to any other PV (including the Provari) so I came here to learn more. Here are my questions:

1. I know the REO is a "bottom feeder" and that you squeeze a bottle to feed the atomizer. He currently uses a cartomizer and tank- what would he put on the REO?
2. Is the vape quality as good as the Provari?
3. Will it fit in his shirt pocket (the big selling point for him)?
4. Does he need variable voltage or could I get him a REO mini 2?

Any other info you can provide would be much appreciated. Especially from those of you who also have and use a Provari.

Thanks!

Stringer63

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
KY
Hello REO fans,

I am here to learn more about REOs... I am thinking of getting one for my father for Christmas. He quit smoking (after 50+ years) about 6 months ago. He currently uses a Provari Mini with the extension and the 18490 battery and complains that he can't put it in his pocket. I was thinking he might prefer a REO. He vapes Boba's Bounty about 98% of the time.

I know many prefer the REOs to any other PV (including the Provari) so I came here to learn more. Here are my questions:

1. I know the REO is a "bottom feeder" and that you squeeze a bottle to feed the atomizer. He currently uses a cartomizer and tank- what would he put on the REO?
2. Is the vape quality as good as the Provari?
3. Will it fit in his shirt pocket (the big selling point for him)?
4. Does he need variable voltage or could I get him a REO mini 2?

Any other info you can provide would be much appreciated. Especially from those of you who also have and use a Provari.

Thanks!

1. Get a RM2 for the REO. (check out Super-X's vids for micro-coiling)
2. The vape quality with the RM2 is as good as you'll find.
3. Yes it will - the grand is about the same size as a pack of smokes.
4. This comes down to personal preference, but a mech grand or mini can be coiled to support a really good wallop.

Good luck! He'll be really happy with a REO.

MamaTried

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Northern California
1. Get a RM2 for the REO. (check out Super-X's vids for micro-coiling)
2. The vape quality with the RM2 is as good as you'll find.
3. Yes it will - the grand is about the same size as a pack of smokes.
4. This comes down to personal preference, but a mech grand or mini can be coiled to support a really good wallop.

Good luck! He'll be really happy with a REO.

i agree with all this, but if your dad cannot wrap his own coils (i'm 62 and can manage it, with a bit of a struggle) then any disposable atty or carto with an unsealed connector will be ok. There are several extremely cheap ones on the Reosmods site, and they all work well. Other, more expensive ones are also highly regarded and used by many Reonauts. I believe one of the stickies mention a few sources.

Stringer63

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
KY
I am seriously thinking about it! In the video the guy uses an RM2 rebuildable atomizer- I don't think my father can handle the rebuildables - are there other good options?

It may seem involved at first, but it is very simple to build a coil and install/change the cotton wick. I would guess he could pick it up quickly and easily - many others have. Once he experienced the quality of a micro coil vape on the RM2, he would be truly motivated to master coil building and wicking. It's a piece of cake.

JayTater

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
tampa fl
A well built RM2 coil can last for months. Swapping
out a short cotton wick takes about 10 seconds, and will last a few days to a week if squonking is done correctly. On the other hand, there are disposable attys on Reos mods website that are good performers. Just know that making the move from the Provari to a REO, is a move to a mechanical mod. Keeping track of battery voltage and coil resistance is of upmost importance. A Grand or any of the Minis will not turn off when the battery is discharged, and they will fire a shorted coil causing battery damage. With proper care though, the REO will satisfy just about any Vaper that tries one.. :toast:

yolo_

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Strawberry Fields
Attys are good to use. Rob sells them on his website.

I used to use cartos but then i got RM2s even though i don't wrap my own coils yet. I get the coils that are already made from fasttech and from Rebuildable Atomizer Coils - Avid Vaper then all i have to do is stick them in the RM2 holes and cut the wick shorter. Then squonk and vape.

cmccl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
Verdi, NV
Great idea loli! I didn't realize I could get them already built! He'd love that and it would allow him time to learn to build one.

One more question- can't he just use the provari as the ohm meter? Screw the RM2 with coil onto the provari and check the ohms before putting on the REO?

Also- how do you know if there IS a short? Do you ever get a short even if you checked it before you put it on?

Please forgive the ignorant questions from a mech mod newbie ;-)

MamaTried

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Northern California
Great idea loli! I didn't realize I could get them already built! He'd love that and it would allow him time to learn to build one.

One more question- can't he just use the provari as the ohm meter? Screw the RM2 with coil onto the provari and check the ohms before putting on the REO?

Also- how do you know if there IS a short? Do you ever get a short even if you checked it before you put it on?

yes, you can use a provari to check ohms, providing your coil is 1.2 ohms or higher (from memory)

it is *possible* but unlikely to get a short after checking ohms. coil too close to the rm2 cap or loose screws are the most likely causes.

JayTater

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
tampa fl

It is possible, however rare, to get a short in the 510 connection on the REO. Its caused by overtightening and sometimes just age. The insulator can break down and dead short to the body. Good thing with the REO, if it does happen, the spring will collapse, and prevent the battery from going into meltdown mode. The complete rebuild kit is available for a reasonable price, or you can send it to Rob and he can rebuild the whole thing. My grand is a year (maybe older, I'm the 3rd owner) or more old, and is still kicking like brand new.

SeaNap

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2009
Atlanta
Rebuildables sound/look intimidating, trust me it took me 2 years until I was brave enough to take the plunge, but if your father is willing to put minimal time into researching it's actually quite easy. The RM2 and REO are like peanut butter and jelly, and in my case has provided the best vape/flavor/TH and customizability. That being said, the REO has standard 510 threading and can work with all 510 cartomizers (rob sells some on his site) with the REO you wouldn't need the tanks. I will have to defer the review of using cartomizers to other members, as I have not used them.

The vape quality ultimately depends on the coil/wick/air flow/voltage to name a few. The provari will not provide a better or worse vape than a VV grand w/ cartomizers, the main difference in vape quality is the ability to direct drip, the REO allows you to "drip" right onto the coil with out the hassle of actually dripping. Plus the convenience of carrying 6ml with you.

The REO is heavier than a pack of smokes but may be smaller, so it will fit in the shirt pocket easily but can be heavy.

If you do decide to go the rebuildable route, let us know and we can make sure you get the right tools and supplies for coil building.

Crash Moses

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Lansing, Michigan
Potentially, you could get him some atomizers along with the RM2 so he has something to vape while he dives into rebuilding. If he's not the tinkering type or is limited physically then a good 1.5 ohm atomizer will do just fine. Empire mods sells a popular one that is bottom feed.

Empiremods Bridge Free LR510 XL 1.5ohm (34mm)

Also, here's a size comparison I did between the Provari and the Reo (you are not the first to ask :) ).

cmccl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
Verdi, NV
Thanks for all the great info! I am going to get him one. I think I'll go with the mini 2 since it seems like the best option for size/weight to fit nicely in a shirt pocket and yet still have enough battery life to satisfy.

Here's my favorite quote from this thread:

"After I got my Reo, the only thing I've used my Provari for is to check the ohms of my coils." from Kristian

Now that's funny! Now I am thinking that I'll have to get one for myself too... and an ohm meter.... just in case I get greedy and want to try some sub ohm vaping! LOL!

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
Thanks for all the great info! I am going to get him one. I think I'll go with the mini 2 since it seems like the best option for size/weight to fit nicely in a shirt pocket and yet still have enough battery life to satisfy.

Here's my favorite quote from this thread:

"After I got my Reo, the only thing I've used my Provari for is to check the ohms of my coils." from Kristian

Now that's funny! Now I am thinking that I'll have to get one for myself too... and an ohm meter.... just in case I get greedy and want to try some sub ohm vaping! LOL!

My ProVari is gathering dust. It isn't even good enough to read my coils. I can use the Vamo for DH's coils, but the ProVari is just so limiting that it doesn't even compete.

Sorry to have busted your ProVari bubble. Mine got busted about a year ago, and I couldn't be happier! I love my REO!

pianoguy

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2009
Apple Valley, MN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread