Aug 10, 2013
tampa fl

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
What I was getting at is, one can build a perfect coil, ohm out within targetted specs, and then crush the gasket or overtighten. When building directly on the mod and testing in place with a meter, there is no guess work. Ya know?
I do the same thing. THe only problem might be if your coil touches the cap or you are using a metal drip tip thats too long. A little common sense comes in handy mitigating these two happenings.

ChrisEU

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Germany
Your dad vapes Bobas Bounty - that juice clogs up coils really fast - common cartos or atties will be dead quickly.

You should get him an RM2 with a Grand (or Mini 2.1, but I'd prefer the Grand). You can premake some coils for him if he can't do it so all that's left to do for him is change the cotton every few days.

For Boba's I recommend a thicker inner diameter of coil - I use 0.35mm Kanthal around 2.0 or 2.5 mm drillbits for Bobas. You lose a bit of flavor, but BB has enough of it. But you gain twice the usage out of the cotton.

rabernet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
Buford, GA
Hello REO fans,

I am here to learn more about REOs... I am thinking of getting one for my father for Christmas. He quit smoking (after 50+ years) about 6 months ago. He currently uses a Provari Mini with the extension and the 18490 battery and complains that he can't put it in his pocket. I was thinking he might prefer a REO. He vapes Boba's Bounty about 98% of the time.

I know many prefer the REOs to any other PV (including the Provari) so I came here to learn more. Here are my questions:

1. I know the REO is a "bottom feeder" and that you squeeze a bottle to feed the atomizer. He currently uses a cartomizer and tank- what would he put on the REO? - If you can help him with building coils, either doing it for him, or teaching him, if he enjoys tinkering, I recommend the RM2 - it was my first atomizer I built a coil for, now it's old hat.

2. Is the vape quality as good as the Provari? I got my REO's first, and then my Provari. I prefer the REO's still. The Provari is a nice mod, but the REO's have spoiled me. For ME - the vape quality is better - certainly the taste is more "pure" on the REO.

3. Will it fit in his shirt pocket (the big selling point for him)? - Sure will!

4. Does he need variable voltage or could I get him a REO mini 2? I have both the Grand and the Mini - I don't see a need for the VV (again - for ME).

Any other info you can provide would be much appreciated. Especially from those of you who also have and use a Provari.

Thanks!

My responses above in red. :)

Jazzi Mike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2013
Michigan
I think the RM2 is definitely the best topper for the Reo. However, there are other atomizers that work well. I would recommend an Empire Mods or Cisco Spec attys from Avid Vaper : Personal Vaporizers and Accessories I bring a few of those with me when I'm out. If my RM2 coil stops working, I have something to cape with still.

You can use cartomizers with the Reo. However, the whole point of a bottom feeder is that you can drip without all of the hassle. I have a Mini 2.1 and a Grand. I like both, but the Mini is nice just because it is so small. I think the Mini 2.1 and a dripping atty will suit your dad very well at first and hopefully, you guys can work up to building an RM2

cmccl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
Verdi, NV
Thanks to all of you for all the great information.

I yet another question. What ohm's should the coil be for the 18490 battery for lots of vapor production? I assume that since you can't control the voltage the gauge of the wire and number of wraps will be how you control vapor production. Is that right?

Loli- when you order the ready made coils what ohm level do you order?

yolo_

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Strawberry Fields
Thanks to all of you for all the great information.

I yet another question. What ohm's should the coil be for the 18490 battery for lots of vapor production? I assume that since you can't control the voltage the gauge of the wire and number of wraps will be how you control vapor production. Is that right?

Loli- when you order the ready made coils what ohm level do you order?

I like the higher ohms 2 and even 3. They make for a cooler vape imo So it is an individual preference. Some say they like warmer vapes and get the lower ohms.

The site avid vapors that i get mine from have 5 coils in a package but you only can choose one ohm level for each order.

eta: I get lots of clouds if you want to see then i will show you a link to my picture.

Jazzi Mike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2013
Michigan
Yes, with a mech, you control the power through lowering the resistance of your atty. I generally go between 1.5-1.8 on my Reo mini 2.1. If you like a cooler vape, I would think 2 ohms would be around there, but anymore than that and you will not get much in terms of vapor production.

Most of us use microcoils in the Reomizer. It is when you wrap the coils around a 1/16" or smaller drill but have a greater number of wraps that touch each other. It really amps up vapor production in the Reomizer.

mackman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
NorCal
Your dad vapes Bobas Bounty - that juice clogs up coils really fast - common cartos or atties will be dead quickly.

You should get him an RM2 with a Grand (or Mini 2.1, but I'd prefer the Grand). You can premake some coils for him if he can't do it so all that's left to do for him is change the cotton every few days.

For Boba's I recommend a thicker inner diameter of coil - I use 0.35mm Kanthal around 2.0 or 2.5 mm drillbits for Bobas. You lose a bit of flavor, but BB has enough of it. But you gain twice the usage out of the cotton.

I have to respectfully disagree. I use Boba's and GJ extensively and have no problems whatsoever with clogging/gunking the coils on the RM2 and in carto tanks on a regulated mod the cartos last a month.

One last thought if your dad is a tinkerer or even a little bit of a handy type guy I'd bet that once he gets his Reo he will really enjoy building coils for it. Just follow the great advice and suggestions here on the forum and follow Super X's video...as they say easy peasy

SeaNap

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2009
Atlanta
My personal opinion and rule of thumb is that for fruity flavors, or sweets flavors (like vanilla custard) I like a cooler vape so I raise the resistance and I vape at 1 - 1.2ohm. But for my main tobacco/cigar infused flavors like NEMP, Boba's, GJ etc I like that really warm vape so I make my coils at .5 - .6ohm, this is better than actually smoking tobacco, you get intense flavor and a satisfying warm, thick vape.

Vapor production is generally the same for me, regardless of resistance. You can blow some cirrus clouds at 1.5ohm (see Super X's vids). The size of the air hole has a much more dramatic effect on vape production. On my RM2 that I super-sub-ohm vape the air hole is *Slightly* larger than on the RM2 that I generally vape higher resistance, I've increased the air hole size on both RM2's (both less than 1/16th).

I also have never had a problem is boba's or GJ with #54 (0.055") ID micro coils with cotton.

cmccl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
Verdi, NV
This has been a great thread for me. I am so enthused now that not only am I going to get my Dad a REO mini 2.1 for Christmas- I'm going to get myself one too! For me- the RM2 is a must. I will get him one too but he will rely on me to show him how to build the coil so I must learn myself first!

SeaNap,

Thanks for the info- I like the flavor/temperature adjustment idea. I think the tobacco vapes would be fabulous with a warmer vape. I will go watch the Super X vids since several of you have recommended them. Where are they? I can't find them!

Also- about the air holes on the RM2- how does it work unmodified? Since I can't imagine that I am going to mess with that (just learning to build the coils will be plenty for me). And what is NEMP? Also - what is a #54 ID micro coil? Sorry for the uneducated questions but this is how I learn :)

moondragon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Definitely check out the getting started link above. I always have trouble finding the link to the video, though, so here it is:

REOmizer 2 / RM2 / RBA 2.0 Build To Get You Started - YouTube

From my own personal experience, I had a hard time and a lot of frustration using cartos or dripping atty.'s on the Reo - it took me awhile to figure out the squonking and was either flooding things or getting dry hits. For me, it was getting the RM2 which ended all that frustration and turned it into a heavenly experience. Super-X's video really helped be feel like I would be able to build a coil. I generally build mine around 1.8 or 1.9.

ETA: if you aren't sure about doing micro coils, here's a video put up by Rob about just building a simple coil:
reomizer 2.0 - YouTube

Last edited:

Crash Moses

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Lansing, Michigan
This has been a great thread for me. I am so enthused now that not only am I going to get my Dad a REO mini 2.1 for Christmas- I'm going to get myself one too! For me- the RM2 is a must. I will get him one too but he will rely on me to show him how to build the coil so I must learn myself first!

SeaNap,

Thanks for the info- I like the flavor/temperature adjustment idea. I think the tobacco vapes would be fabulous with a warmer vape. I will go watch the Super X vids since several of you have recommended them. Where are they? I can't find them!

Also- about the air holes on the RM2- how does it work unmodified? Since I can't imagine that I am going to mess with that (just learning to build the coils will be plenty for me). And what is NEMP? Also - what is a #54 ID micro coil? Sorry for the uneducated questions but this is how I learn :)

Here's a link to Supes videos on Youtube.

sxmxdrifter - YouTube

The air hole on the RM2 works just spiffy as is. Some of us open it up a bit more but I don't recommend doing that yet. It will be perfectly sufficient as is.

NEMP (as explained above) is a juice made by Xobeloot that comes very close (in my opinion) to actual smoking. It's very good. I suggest PMing him for specifics if you're interested but here's a link for you:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...m/495557-dirty-monkey-vapeworks-list-2-a.html

#54 ID (Inside Diameter) coil is a micro-coil wrapped on a #54 drill bit. Micro-coils are the schnizzle and easy to make once you have the basics. I would recommend a 1/16 drill bit to start with. More linkage:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/389074-micro-coil-rba-your-reo.html

MasterofNone

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2013
New York
Bottom feeders are great... And reos are tough, granted. Looking at one myself right now. And the mini might be shirt pocket friendly ( dunno, don't have one yet) what I might suggest, however, is picking up a vmod mini or xl when they have a sale going on and see if he likes the form factor/ idea ofa bottom feeder. A la carte, with a good sale, is about $50. He already should have the batteries/ charger, and it comes with a good atomizer. If he likes it by all means get him a reo ( apparently the provari- in build- of mech bottom feeders)

If he doesn't like the box look and feel, no need to waste your money... Though you could always keep it for yourself :)

Oh and good for thought... On the vmod, the atty is mostly submerged in the housing. This is, I feel, a +q1 on the pocket friendliness, especially if he is going youse a standard atomizer and not a rebuild able ( which has a winder and more sturdy base, less likely to bend and snap off with the wrong movement)

As always, just my two cents...

When I get my reo( at some point) I hope you guys welcome me in... I seem to be getting no love in my secret society because I keep talking about the skynet :p lol

But why shouldn't I want the best of both worlds?lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
If he doesn't like the box look and feel, no need to waste your money... Though you could always keep it for yourself :)

I'd agree with this approach (buying something cheap first) were it not for the fact that you can resell a REO in the classifieds on ECF for pretty much what you paid for it. I don't recall seeing one stay in there more than a day or two, these are premium mods, and the demand nearly outstrips the supply. So, no worries on getting your money back if you try it and don't like it (unlikely, trust me).

I'd guess it would cost you more to spend $xx.xx for some cheap mod than you'd lose buying a REO to begin with and reselling it if you're not totally in love with it.

ETA: I'd pretty much bet money that if either of you get one, the other will want one too. They're *that* good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread