The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Washington State HB1645 is back and moving full steam

Discussion in 'Legislation News' started by squee, Feb 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Thank you for Posting this shoreline.

It wouldn't be a bad idea for WA Residents to contact there Reps even if theirs Isn't currently sitting on this Committee.

• Like Like x 4
  2. DavidOck

DavidOck ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Having commented on the bill on the Leg site, got no response from my rep.

DID get this from Sen. Becker's office:

Thank you for writing to share your concerns about HB 1645. At this time the bill has passed in the House 59/36 and will now be referred to the senate committees. It will need to receive a hearing in order to progress further. Last year the bills companion in the senate did not receive a hearing. We will share your comments with the senator.

Sincerely,

Tiffani Sanne’, Legislative Assistant to Washington State Senator Randi Becker 2nd District

• Like Like x 4
  3. squee

squee Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 12, 2013
    Central CT
    Another update:

IN THE SENATE
    Feb 16 First reading, referred to Health Care.
    Feb 22 Executive action taken in the Senate Committee on Health Care at 10:00 AM.
    HLTH - Majority; without recommendation. (Majority Report)
    And refer to Ways & Means.
    Feb 23 Referred to Ways & Means.

• Like Like x 7
  4. Angus T Rat

Angus T Rat Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 25, 2015
    Bill is now on the governor's desk for signature…and vaping dies with a whimper in Washington state

• Like Like x 2
  5. skoony

skoony Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 31, 2013
    saint paul,mn,usa
    :(:mad::eek:
    mike

• Like Like x 2
  6. squee

Nov 12, 2013
    Central CT
    No it's not!

This bill is what passed --> http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2015-16/Pdf/Bills/Senate%20Passed%20Legislature/6328-S.PL.pdf

And after amendment by the health committee, etc... it's actually quite a good bill.

Not only does it get rid of the taxes, it has a preclusion clause so that no locality can add any. It requires safety warnings on the labels, child-resistant packaging, ID checks (no signature requirement for mail order), requires a license for retailers but fairly inexpensive.

I mean, if we have to have regulations (and we do), this should be the model template that is used. Good job, Washington State.

• Like Like x 9
  7. Angus T Rat

Angus T Rat Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 25, 2015
    Excellent if that's the case. I assumed it was still the original form since I've seen very little news about it here.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    Why?

• Like Like x 6
  9. MacTechVpr

MacTechVpr Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    Most excellent response. Good luck! :)

• Like Like x 4
  10. skoony

Jul 31, 2013
    saint paul,mn,usa
    I am wondering the same thing as @Rossum. Why should there be any regulatory concern
    what so ever? The juice is as easy and safe to make as Kool-Aid. There is absolutly no
    evidence that any one has been harmed aside from perhaps allergic reactions which
    anything can cause or misuse. Second hand vapor is completely harmless.
    (sorry worry warts the science is in on this)
    One can go on and on about long term studies but, they will never be done as there is
    nothing right now to indicate they're needed so no one will fund any. Aroma therapy which
    uses base oils that are known to be harmful to humans and their "pets" is under
    no such scrutiny.
    The biggest single problem that vaping as if there is one is that it is incredibly inherently
    safe from the beginning. It as been determined that side by side toxicology tests on cell
    tissues comparing smoke with vapor cannot be done as the smoke kills all the cells to
    quickly. Tis in and of itself speaks volumes about how safe vaping is.
    :2c:
    Regards
    Mike

• Like Like x 7
  11. squee

Nov 12, 2013
    Central CT
    Because that's reality. And I prefer to deal with reality. You can stand outside shouting at the clouds all day if you like but that won't stop the rain. Me? I'll grab an umbrella

• Like Like x 6
  12. squee

Nov 12, 2013
    Central CT
    Did you actually *read* this bill? Because you'll see, they basically agree with you. This has nothing to do with long-term health effects or clean rooms or homeland security. This is about packaging, labels and not selling to minors. This is about doing a minimum to ensure basic safety and restrict access by children.

• Like Like x 7
  13. skoony

Jul 31, 2013
    saint paul,mn,usa
    I wasn't disagreeing with the contents of the bill per say. I was disagreeing with your notion
    that we do need regulation.
    Even the bill doesn't really do anything. Minors will still get their hands on it.
    The bill only opens the way for meaningless compliance checks that requires
    expansion of the bureaucracy to collect the fines they will get because compliance
    checks are not designed to catch the guilty,they are designed to entrap the young
    inexperienced and harried worker. Child safety caps do not work when parents do
    not take the rudimentary steps to keep their children from getting their hands
    on it in the first place. The chillin' are doing just fine. The chillin' are not guzzling
    e-juice like it was naturally organic sun kissed 100% fruit juice made by old hippies
    from their sippy cups.
    Do you want to protect children? Ban candles and space heaters.
    "Children younger than 5 made up 52% of the deaths of children younger than 16 in fires in 2007, "
    Report: Half of children killed in fires are under age 5 - USATODAY.com
    Making a law to protect a class that needs no protection or rejects such protection out
    of hand is meaningless.
    :2c:
    Regards
    Mike

• Like Like x 3
  14. DC2

DC2 Tootie Puffer Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    We should be grabbing an umbrella WHILE shouting at the clouds.
    ;)

• Like Like x 5
  15. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    Umbrella? Let me check my freezer -- [time passes].

Yep, I still have a lifetime supply of umbrellas. :D

• Like Like x 8
  16. OldBatty

OldBatty Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 28, 2014
    North Georgia USA
    While we don't really need 'regulation' having a well written commonsense law such as this one (apparently is) may make it more difficult for the ANTZ to get a bad law (ie Indiana) passed. Politicians are quite busy with more important things such as lining each others pockets:rolleyes: So once they have thumped their chest in self importance once may possibly tell the ANTZ to take a hike if they show up again.

My theory and I'm sticking with it. Plus it will be great ammunition in my home state if our proposed bill resurfaces next year.

• Like Like x 7
  17. Verb

Verb Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 26, 2014
    Eastern, PA, USA
    Well, age 0 to 5 makes up 1/3 of the children under age 18. They are the least mobile and the least aware of what to do.

• Like Like x 1
  18. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    It Never Rains in California.

Oh wait... You're gonna have to be 21 to buy e-Liquids and Vape Gear.

Never Mind.

;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. skoony

Jul 31, 2013
    saint paul,mn,usa
    Toddlers between the age of 2 up to 4 are the most vulnerable and most likely
    to find things that are left carelessly about. Child resistant caps may deter some
    toddlers but the most important factor is keeping potentially harmful things
    out of their reach in the first place. It is interesting to note the only child thought
    to have died from nicotine poisoning from e-juice got a hold of a bottle of Nic base
    where the child resistant cap had gone completely missing. According to the police
    report none was ever found.
    Regards
    Mike

• Like Like x 1
  20. DC2

DC2 Tootie Puffer Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    In a previous life I sold certain things to certain people.

If I needed money I could see doing that in the future with nicotine.
    But thankfully, I no longer need that kind of money.

So I'll keep what I have for now.
    :)

• Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.