The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Weird Taste and Smell After Steeping in Ultrasonic Cleaner

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by lukeit, Dec 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Walee

Walee Super Member ECF Veteran

Oct 6, 2017
    I do not but on another forum I've been reading from a person who bought one. Very unhappy with the unit. Very little power. Does not do well with any amount of VG at all. I would steer away.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. PJReid

PJReid Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 2, 2013
    LakeRidge, VA, USA
    Thank you. Which one would you recommend? I appreciate the feedback.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Walee

Oct 6, 2017
    I have an Apera Model 601 that has been going strong for a long time now. I did buy a couple of rare earth stirring magnets as thick juices would cause it to "throw" a standard magnet at high rpm. Got it off Amazon. The biggest batch I make is 120ml. Something to consider.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. PJReid

PJReid Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 2, 2013
    LakeRidge, VA, USA
    Thank you very much!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Letitia

Letitia Therion/Nano Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Thanks Walee, bookmarked.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  6. Walee

Oct 6, 2017
    @PJReid and @Letitia

My pleasure. If ya'll pick one up, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have mine. Just don't forget to look into rare earth magnets if you mix 70/30 or thicker. They are a little pricey but when your pumpin out better juice than you can buy for four cents an ml instead of 30 to 50 cents they pay for themselves in a big hurry.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. NicotineRush

NicotineRush Linux Mint/Mate Verified Member ECF Veteran

I've never had a problem with my 15ml bottles falling over. If I am UC'ing more than one, I simply put a rubber band around them. Singles stay up nicely.

UCBuzz.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  8. ShowerHead

ShowerHead Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Seems to have been replaced by the 801. Do you have a link for the 601?

• Like Like x 3
  9. Walee

Oct 6, 2017
  10. ShowerHead

ShowerHead Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    Massachusetts
  11. englishmick

englishmick Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    I used a UC for a long time. It didn't have a heater so I just used tap water. The UC activity kept it fairly warm. I gave it half a dozen 30 minute runs. It was quite shallow as well so the water didn't even come up as high as the liquid in the larger bottles so I shook it between runs. I figured convection would keep the liquid moving up and down anyway.

A while ago I got a small battery powered wand mixer. Now I make juice well in advance so I don't need to hurry the steeping process. I'm confident the wand mixer does the mixing part really well. I just stir each bottle up 2 or 3 times with the wand, let it sit overnight between stirs until all the little bubbles go away, then leave it on the shelf.

I always worried about heat. Not sure if it's really a problem, there are a multitude of opinions on the subject.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  12. ZenCloud79

ZenCloud79 Senior Member

Feb 12, 2018
    I just tried my first attempt of using a UC. Did a single flavor run of regular 6% Ry4 tfa 70vg/30pg, 8 30min sessions with the heat that auto turns off at 140degrees and this tobacco juice smells and tastes absolutely awful, almost like moldy socks.
    Do tobacco flavors not need that long of a steep. Ive heard people say ry4 tastes great at 3days-3months steep. There is definitely something in this process that ruined the juice. Beyond confused.

• Like Like x 1
  13. AzPlumber

AzPlumber Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 28, 2011
    Arizona
    No experience with tfa ry4 but from years of reading 6% seems a bit high. Most tobaccos are best after a long steep.

• Useful Useful x 2
  14. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I have a UC, and only use it for cleaning, not steeping, as I've heard of kind of inconsistent results with certain flavors. I don't know much about tobaccos other than I've heard they need a reasonable steep. My concern would be heat changing the steeping/flavoring process, but I'm glad you tried just one run. You may need to experiment with amount of UC cycles and/or it may need more steeping? I'm not sure on your percentages as I don't use tobacco flavors... But I hope it improves, I would let sit at least a week and see what happens...

Anna

• Like Like x 1
  15. Walee

Oct 6, 2017
    I'm going to do a test here pretty soon. This comes about as a derivative of using homogenization in mixing discussed on another forum.
    No predictions:
    Add all ingredients in a beaker
    Drop a magnet bar into the beaker and seal the beaker
    Heat via Sous Vide cooker to 140°F
    Stir 1/2 hour using magnetic stirrer
    Put inside of UC for 1/2 hour set to 60°C
    Allow to cool to room temperature
    Serve immediately in my favorite RDA
    If I can remember this thread I'll post results.
    Obviously I can't test every flavor but I am hoping to see some change as compared to what I am doing now. Good or bad.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. Sloth Tonight

Sloth Tonight Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 25, 2014
    Adirondacks
    Just use the UC for cleaning bottles and stuff. That heat steeping stuff is ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. IDJoel

IDJoel Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    Have you used this particular concentrate before? Do you have a baseline with which to compare? Either fresh-mixed or aged in some other manner than UC? If not; how do you know what this flavor tastes like to you? Could it be possible that you just don't like the flavor (reviews for TFA-RY4(not Double) are quite varied; and "unpleasant" is repeated more than once).

From TFA's website:
    upload_2018-3-5_14-55-30.png

If you have used this concentrate before; how does your UC version differ from you previous efforts? What has changed? What is missing, or what is new?

Besides 8 30min. heated cycles; how was the liquid handled? Did you cycle it with container open or sealed (capped)? What type of container did you use in the UC? Did you do anything else to the liquid before, or after, UCing?

As the old idiom says; "the devil is in the details... "

This is just my opinion, and I am not a UC proponent (I did a few brief experiments; then abandoned), but 8 30min. heated cycles (4 hours total) seem extreme to me... at least without taste-testing along the process. If I had a simple RDA/dripper, and I was going to UC a new recipe; I think I would be inclined to vape a small amount between each cycle, so I can better understand how/if the recipe changes. And, when I may want to stop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. ZenCloud79

ZenCloud79 Senior Member

Feb 12, 2018
    One thing with that ry4 batch that i thought was weird was it turned pinkish from clear. I saw a video on youtube where a guy did 4 hours with a cooldown after 2 in the middle. He said 2 hours = 1 week of steeping. He was comparing it to a regular steeped batch, and said he liked it but it was vanilla custard. The problem with the UC auto heater turning off at 140 is how it works with multiple cycles, still trying to figure that out. I just did two 30min runs of a custard. It turned golden from clear, going to see what an hour does. Heres the link to the uc video i watched. I have the same model as he does. i have a feeling this might work good for creams and custards but not tobaccos.

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. ZenCloud79

ZenCloud79 Senior Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Yea from what im seeing from my tests is using a UC might create a similar effect like aging of ejuice but the metallic taste makes me think this type of heat and agitation is creating unwanted particles. So far im on the "no heat let it steep natural" boat. By the way that chocolate mint came out pretty good thanks for the tip Anna.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  20. NicotineRush

NicotineRush Linux Mint/Mate Verified Member ECF Veteran

One of my 'regular' vapes is a HS RY4 at 7%. I've tried it at everything from 70pg/30vg to 100%vg and it always taste great. I always UC at 10 30 min cycles with no heat.
    I seriously doubt your UC is at fault.

• Useful Useful x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.