Well I did it - I ordered the Apex Alpha with RES kit -

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyorion

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Michigan
Fascinating concept and congratulations for pulling it off! I do have one question, several actually.

As a Chem Eng, I can appreciate the osmosis theory, but the effectiveness is a direct function of the viscosity of the fluid which is a direct function of the ratio of compounds in it. VG is very viscous, PG less so, and alcohol even less.

It would be hard to imagine an osmosis device being able to function with all possible viscosities of juices since the mass transfer rate through the membrane would most definitely be impacted. Also, viscosity is not proportional when mixing two compounds together; in other words solubility chemistry plays a big role when mixing compounds.

Not many users would have access to a viscometer (although a relatively easy device to make and calibrate), so rather than talk Poise or Stokes which would have meaning to only a handful of people, so let's talk VG/PG/Alcohol ratios.

Is there a recommended range? Do you foresee having different pore diameters to accommodate different ratios of PG/VG?

Sorry for sounding like such a nerd, and it was not my intention to rain on your parade since I consider your device one of the most ingenious and innovative since the original e cig. Everything else out there from map tanks to clearomizers to tanks are toys in comparison. Even the GG is too incredibly complicated and finicky. The bottom feeders are a PITA to clean, especially since I tend to vape many different flavors.

I do my own juices. I have settled into a 20/80 base of VG/PG with 6 mg of nic concentration. Flavorings tend to vary between 5-20%. I will then tweak the juice with more VG, alcohol and nicotine if I find myself adding a lot of flavoring

If you think that the RES will work with my concoction, then you can expect my order for the 14500 model. Also, what is the reservoir capacity?

Slo Ryd

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2009
City of Trees
www.innovapor.com
Fascinating concept and congratulations for pulling it off! I do have one question, several actually.

As a Chem Eng, I can appreciate the osmosis theory, but the effectiveness is a direct function of the viscosity of the fluid which is a direct function of the ratio of compounds in it. VG is very viscous, PG less so, and alcohol even less.

It would be hard to imagine an osmosis device being able to function with all possible viscosities of juices since the mass transfer rate through the membrane would most definitely be impacted. Also, viscosity is not proportional when mixing two compounds together; in other words solubility chemistry plays a big role when mixing compounds.

Not many users would have access to a viscometer (although a relatively easy device to make and calibrate), so rather than talk Poise or Stokes which would have meaning to only a handful of people, so let's talk VG/PG/Alcohol ratios.

Is there a recommended range? Do you foresee having different pore diameters to accommodate different ratios of PG/VG?

Sorry for sounding like such a nerd, and it was not my intention to rain on your parade since I consider your device one of the most ingenious and innovative since the original e cig. Everything else out there from map tanks to clearomizers to tanks are toys in comparison. Even the GG is too incredibly complicated and finicky. The bottom feeders are a PITA to clean, especially since I tend to vape many different flavors.

I do my own juices. I have settled into a 20/80 base of VG/PG with 6 mg of nic concentration. Flavorings tend to vary between 5-20%. I will then tweak the juice with more VG, alcohol and nicotine if I find myself adding a lot of flavoring

If you think that the RES will work with my concoction, then you can expect my order for the 14500 model. Also, what is the reservoir capacity?

The liquid that we make and sell is 100% VG,and probably the thickest stuff out there. That was what the device was built around. So anything less than 100% VG will actually work even better in the RES because it will be less viscous. As for the RES capacity, the UltraLite is 1/2ml, Ultra is 1ml and UltraMax is 2mls.

Slo Ryd

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2009
City of Trees
www.innovapor.com
Oh - I almost forgot - Thanks Innovapor for the ECF20 Discount - nice little chunk of change off the price. Saving money is always a good thing. Makes this PV even more worthwhile...

The Ultra Model (the one that uses the 14500) RES holds 1ml of juice.

You are welcome. I believe that is the largest standing coupon code that anyone offers. We like to take care of our loyal customers.

SleepHater

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
PA, CA

Great post. Here our my thoughts, I imagine N8T will respond as well. The RES was designed around 100% VG base low EtOH, low deionized water liquid. ULTRApure is a very thick liquid. This was to build the device with the most conservative liquid in terms of viscosity.

Let's say that the solute concentration and thus any osmotic gradient in the fluid is independent of the RES's ability to function. Meaning for the sake of this discussion let's assume the liquid had been mixed correctly and the ingridients in the fluid are in solution.

With that assumption, the RES is solely dependent on capillary action. The microporosity of the RES serves as a capillary wick. The principle of diffusion also comes into play, but only in regards to the RES seeking to equilibrate by shifting liquid from areas of high fluid density to areas of low fluid density, not in terms of concentration gradient of solute, as in classical diffusion. The fundamental behavior of the liquid in relation to a solute concentration such as diffusion or osmosis play no role, aside from their contribution to viscosity. The ceramic, because of the porosity is extremely hydrophyllic and thus absorbent.

Because air flow is forced through the ceramic liquid must be displaced in response to that airflow. So as long as these to principles are true: 1) the wick is hydrophilic and 2) airflow displaces the liquid from the wick into the atomizer by the design of the airflow intake and exhaust then the RES will function.

As long as your liquid is as viscous or less viscous then a 99%/1% VG/H2O mixture you should be good to go.

Cheers, I think you would enjoy an Ultra!

SH

Last edited:

Excellent questions, and thank you for the compliments! As much as I would love to top SleepHater's comments, he's pretty well covered it.

One thing- You got me thinking again about a range of porosity's tailored to to the VG or PG crowds. During prototyping we tested every porosity that was within our manufacturing capabilities, and found that the differences in performance when using high or low viscosity fluids was minor. Of course the VG fluid was slowest, but it was not a night and day difference. What this told me was that the ceramic would perform well with the most viscous fluid out there, and marginally better with the least viscous.

Hope this helps!

Nate

tonyorion

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Michigan
Thanks for your speedy responses. You almost have me over the edge. I was thinking about ordering a second res chamber, but the price might be prohibitive. Would you cut a special deal if I ordered a second res with the AlphaUltra (like the same price as the difference between the base and res). My biggest interest is the 14500 ultra with a 510 since I have all kinds of batteries and chargers. I travel a bit for work, and it would be nice to have a second one already filled and ready to go when moving about.

How well would the spare chamber store when it is filled with juice? Is this even recommended or possible,in other words does it have to be mounted on the base unit to form a seal?

SleepHater

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
PA, CA
Thanks for your speedy responses. You almost have me over the edge. I was thinking about ordering a second res chamber, but the price might be prohibitive. Would you cut a special deal if I ordered a second res with the AlphaUltra (like the same price as the difference between the base and res). My biggest interest is the 14500 ultra with a 510 since I have all kinds of batteries and chargers. I travel a bit for work, and it would be nice to have a second one already filled and ready to go when moving about.

How well would the spare chamber store when it is filled with juice? Is this even recommended or possible,in other words does it have to be mounted on the base unit to form a seal?

The RES will hold liquid even of not attached to the device. On the pricing, what I may be able to do is put up the RES with no atomizer interface up on the website for sale. That would reduce the cost, so you would just be getting the RES "chamber." I'll work on that tonight.... might take a little bit, we would need a photo... let me work on it.

Cheers,

SH

atavanhalen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Wolverine Lake, Michigan
The RES will hold liquid even of not attached to the device. On the pricing, what I may be able to do is put up the RES with no atomizer interface up on the website for sale. That would reduce the cost, so you would just be getting the RES "chamber." I'll work on that tonight.... might take a little bit, we would need a photo... let me work on it.

Cheers,

SH

good news, every dollar counts. thanks

SleepHater

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
PA, CA
I'm psyched - My Ultra shipped Wednesday Afternoon - Delivery estimate was Monday - I just checked tracking and it's out for delivery today! Excellent Service from Innovapor. I am very much looking forward to unboxing this one...Initial review to follow...

Really looking forwad to your initial thoughts!

Cheers,

SH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread