Well the cloners are going whole hog with this one

Status
Not open for further replies.

alongo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
Protem, Missouri
I ordered one of the clone odys. Why because i can't buy a new ody or penelope. I can't even buy a used one,, not quick enough or for sale or trade. I am more than willing to pay the price for a new one or used one. If I made a product and could not keep up with supply and demand I would hire some help or sub it out to a machine shop to give me more time to design and build more great things. Do that before the Chinese clone it and maybe get it right. I am good on a wood lathe but not a metal lathe, plus i have arthritus in my hands or would be making wood trips all day long. Sold all I could make but my hands made me quit . Wish i could sub them out to china. Al

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
Al....when you get the oddy clone....you will have to learn how to make a resistance wire/non-resistance wire combo. When you learn how to do that, you can use the same type of combination wire on the Genesis style attys. If you have nichrome wire (I use 34 awg), make a combo wire with it for the cobra. You only need the non resistance wire for the top coil. You can literally make a coil in less than two minutes with nichrome wire...try it out. The great thing about nichrome is that you can wrap the wire around the wick pretty tightly......so you don't get hot spots. The only hot spot will be the top coil...but since you make the top coil out of non resistance wire....there are no hot spots. You can do this with kanthal wire also but the result will not be as good as with nichrome wire.

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
Al....when you get the oddy clone....you will have to learn how to make a resistance wire/non-resistance wire combo. When you learn how to do that, you can use the same type of combination wire on the Genesis style attys. If you have nichrome wire (I use 34 awg), make a combo wire with it for the cobra. You only need the non resistance wire for the top coil. You can literally make a coil in less than two minutes with nichrome wire...try it out. The great thing about nichrome is that you can wrap the wire around the wick pretty tightly......so you don't get hot spots. The only hot spot will be the top coil...but since you make the top coil out of non resistance wire....there are no hot spots. You can do this with kanthal wire also but the result will not be as good as with nichrome wire.

Apparently the Chinese have perfected this, as the Chobra ships with a coil made of NR/R/NR :)

Fixing the top coil issue, which occurs with most genesis builds, would be excellent- I might have to give this a try. So, it works with Kanthal, but I'm guessing the composition of the Kanthal makes it more difficult to bond the two...am I right?

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
There is reason all atomizer/clearomizers/cartos use Nichrome.....it is very responsive....the coil heats up immediately. You can do tight wraps around silica or ss mesh and its still fires great. When using Kanthal around the SS mesh you have to wrap it just right or it won't vape well. Wrapping it tight would make it so unresponsive that it wouldn't work well at all. I don't know why every one uses kanthal for their genesis builds but there is no advantage to it all. As long as you have a well oxidized wick....building genesis attys using nichrome is a snap. The only problem is the top coil which is why I use the NR Wire for the top coil.

There are bunch of videos showing how to twist the nickel or silver nonresistance wire with the resistance wire. You don't need to bond them.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
Is the small one a dripper? I saw these at Stormy's and came here looking for more info. I have to say I'm interested. Been trying to get and Oddy for quite a while now with no luck. I do have a Penelope and love it. I hope someone posts some more info on these as I'm interested in both of them. I have no problem investing in the real thing, but if I can get a clone that works without the hassle then I will.
Here is a link to a German site with a little more info on the small one: https://www.vapor-freak.de/zubehoer/Nautilus-SW/Nautilus-Dripping-Mode

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
There is reason all atomizer/clearomizers/cartos use Nichrome.....it is very responsive....the coil heats up immediately. You can do tight wraps around silica or ss mesh and its still fires great. When using Kanthal around the SS mesh you have to wrap it just right or it won't vape well. Wrapping it tight would make it so unresponsive that it wouldn't work well at all. I don't know why every one uses kanthal for their genesis builds but there is no advantage to it all. As long as you have a well oxidized wick....building genesis attys using nichrome is a snap. The only problem is the top coil which is why I use the NR Wire for the top coil.

There are bunch of videos showing how to twist the nickel or silver nonresistance wire with the resistance wire. You don't need to bond them.

You've been around here a long time- it's not every day I see another old-timer on here.

Now, the reasons I use kanthal and many people prefer it are numerous. There are health and safety issues that make it seem the logical choice due to it's composition, and other reasons such as nichrome either leaving a metallic taste or interfering with the taste of your juices, and as you said, it is also a bit more finicky to wrap coils with in SS systems (which is all I use). I do like how it stays in place easier, however.

Anyway, I'm set on using Kanthal, mostly because I've come to appreciate its purer flavor reproduction and also because of how responsive the lower- gauge, low-ohm coil setups are. You think nichrome heats up fast and can be wound tightly? Try 28 Kanthal, it's insanely powerful (and also a bit tricky to set up, like nichrome).

A side note: the reason nichrome is more popular in pre-made chinese gear is because it is 1/3 the price of genuine Kanthal and much more plentiful: Kanthal in bulk is NOT easy to get ahold of. The reason ALL high-end RBA's come with Kanthal is because it is generally recognized that it is a superior product.

edit: ok, not all high end RBA's, but most. like, 95%.

Last edited:

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
Hi Ninja....isn't it funny that we are old timers here...since we have been vaping for a whole 4 years.lol

Now regarding the kanthal wires...I heard that argument before.... kanthal cost a lot more than nichrome and the Chinese are so cheap that they won't use it in their atomizers. Don't you think that....if they had to they could manufacture their own kanthal wire? Lets say it costs 1 penny to put in the nichrome wire in an atty but it cost 5 cents for the Kanthal. If Kanthal was so superior one of these Chinese manufacturers would use it and sell their attys for 3 dollars more. Everyone would go nuts about how superior their attys are and they would sell a ton more of their attys than everyone else....until other companies would start making kanthal atomizers. I can almost guarantee they have experimented with Kanthal but saw that there are little to no advantages to it.

I have done a ton of silica builds.... rebuilding atomizers using Kanthal and Nichrome. Kanthal has far higher heat capacity and there for should last longer...but in practice it doesn't...since so much more gunk builds up on kanthal coils. They aren't responsive as you think...I haven't used 28awg but I have used plenty of 30awg Kanthal and nichrome is far more responsive. Try rebuilding ego-c attys with kanthal and then using it on a brand new ego battery. It won't work. It will work with the older ego batteries...but not the newer batteries....at least the ones I have been buying. It doesn't matter what you rebuild with kanthal it won't work with newer ego batteries I have. The kanthal wire is so slow to respond that the battery detects that and shuts down. It doesn't even matter what ohm you make your coils, the batteries know that you are using a less responsive wire and shuts down. They don't have this problem with my nichrome builds.

Honestly I would have said some of the same things you mentioned about kanthal and Genesis builds a week ago...but once I built my first nichome coil/NR wire for an SS mesh...I have completely changed my mind. I also thought that Kanthal tasted superior in Genesis type attys...but it doesn't. For me they taste the same now. The advantage with nichrome is that you can make your wraps super tight and compact in matter of seconds. The only problem is the top coil gets very hot...this is were the NR wire comes in.....the top coil needs to be a complete loop of NR wire. It is far easier to build coils using nichrome, since the wraps are pretty tight...the coil doesn't move at all...you don't have to touch your build until the next time you are rebuilding. when gunk builds up on my coil I can get a small tooth brush and just brush it away in a matter of seconds. Again since the wraps are tight...they dont move....it is a very stable coil. I haven't adjusted my last set up in five days...with kanthal I would have to adjust the coils daily for it to vape perfectly. All my build with kanthal have been super finiky.

Anyway if you have some nichrome wire you can try it out and see for yourself. The use of NR wire isn't as effective with Kanthal as it is with Nichrome wire because with Kanthal any of the coils can become hotspots if they move after you set it up....with nichrome that is not an issue. If you have any questions about how to set one up using nichrome or kanthal let me know.

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
You make some good arguments, I've got some chinese nichrome laying around- I'll give it another go, just to be sure.

as a side note, I don't use anything but 28 gauge anymore- I found the smaller Kanthal gauges just don't heat up enough to work well, and also the increased surface area of the 28 gives a pretty dramatic increase in vapor production. It also solves any juice-boiling issues. You should try some, it's nothing like kanthal 30 or 32...Just don't use it on an eGo, 28 is pretty much only for 18650-size batts or larger, as most coils will end up well under 1.5 ohms (I run .8-1.2 ohm coils, and those are 4 to 6 wraps depending on the wick size ;)). Generally, you won't feel like you're vaping high wattage with 28, even though you are- it's very interesting stuff.

edit: I would also recommend preheating the kanthal before wrapping to give it a little bit of oxidation- it IS finicky, especially the top coil or two. Keep the leads short and bent. :toast: cheers to 3 years, going on 4...

Last edited:

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
Yeah I have heard great things about kanthal 28...but the only problem is I don't have a Provari.....I have the Youngjune Lavatube and I just bought the Vamo ....which most people say it is the Provari and Zmaxx killer ( I don't know, I don't have it in my hands yet). But the chip sets in both of these devices cuts of at 1.2 Ohms. I don't like my builds to be so close to the cutoff (you know how finicky these coils can be when they are settling in)....so I would have to at least make a 1.5ohm coil.....that will be about 11 wraps. I don't know If I am up for making an 11 coil set up.lol But I am definitely intrigued by Kanthal 28. If you ever do the Nichrome/NR Wire coil...let me know how it compares to your Kanthal 28 set up.

Just a side note...have you made you wicking hole larger on your DUD? I used a 7/64 bit....makes the hole about 2.8mm. It makes a huge difference in the wicking. One of my complaints about these genesis atomizers was that you had to leave the fill hole open for them wick properly...which meant they would leak if laid on the side. Now I can put the fill screw in for my weekly card game and I can lay the darn thing on the side for hours without it leaking.

You know when I started vaping the only thing you get was 801,901,and the 401 had just come out. Trog just invented the screwdriver....and people were saying how huge it was...meanwhile it is half the size of a Provari mini. We have come a long way since then.

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
I hope it works out for you jeepster...I was wondering when the Chinese were going to clone the Oddy. I am shocked they haven't cloned the spheroid or the steam machine yet....since that seems like it would be very easy for them to do. The Oddy seems like it would be very hard to clone effectively....let us know how it works out for you.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
I went ahead pre-ordered the large Terminator Tank today from Stormy's. I have high hopes for it. :)

I received mine from Stormy's about 10 hours ago. It comes with some silica wick and resistor wire but no non resistor wire, it was fully assembled less wick and coil. Build quality is much better than I expected. I have been using it for the last 8 hours or so, it works pretty darned good.

I gave it a good washing first, kind of smelled like cutting oil but looked real clean.

Last edited:

Jeepster08

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Fort Worth, TX

knut

Feb 5, 2012
España
I like GG items. Kayfun items. Genisis attys...

But there is no GG stuff ever.
No spare parts ever.

Why I have two penelopes thinking it will last for all my life but there is no ceramic pieces? ¿Perhapas never?

And Imeo says Oddy is an old device and aout of his interests.
What then is the problem to clone it?

I'm banned from his forum for say this. And to post nautilus pics. In a trheat that opened him to talk about nautilus :blink:
Doesn't matter

He says is not enough quality machined and he see a lots of defects.

I'm sorry.
Is excelent machined work. Seems a Svoemesto device. All fits perfect. All work perfect.
Good vapor, good taste..
And for me....very nice finish.

No need more to look for an Oddy doublepriced.

And soon it will be spares, team rampage tubes in colors and all we need.

With Kayfun cone.

dsc00919ud.jpg

With The Roller

dsc00920u.jpg

dsc00921p.jpg

dsc00922mq.jpg

dsc00923of.jpg

With Gus telescopic

dsc00924ww.jpg

With Gus-G 22

dsc00925pn.jpg

Near Kayfun V3 ES

dsc00926m.jpg

dsc00928phu.jpg

dsc00929vy.jpg

With penelope

dsc00930o.jpg

dsc00931cs.jpg

dsc00932d.jpg

dsc00935cj.jpg

It seems that all Oddy complements fits perfect in this one.

Sure I recomend it.:)

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
I like GG items. Kayfun items. Genisis attys...

But there is no GG stuff ever.
No spare parts ever.

Why I have two penelopes thinking it will last for all my life but there is no ceramic pieces? ¿Perhapas never?

And Imeo says Oddy is an old device and aout of his interests.
What then is the problem to clone it?

I'm banned from his forum for say this. And to post nautilus pics. In a trheat that opened him to talk about nautilus :blink:
Doesn't matter

He says is not enough quality machined and he see a lots of defects.

I'm sorry.
Is excelent machined work. Seems a Svoemesto device. All fits perfect. All work perfect.
Good vapor, good taste..
And for me....very nice finish.

No need more to look for an Oddy doublepriced.

And soon it will be spares, team rampage tubes in colors and all we need.

With Kayfun cone.

It seems that all Oddy complements fits perfect in this one.

Sure I recomend it.:)

I remember what it was like back in the day, when there was no alternative to GG products, and I'm SO glad that there are so many other options nowadays.

Last edited:

Escapereality

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2012
Bluegrass
To each his own. I purchased a chid to see if genesis atomizers and rebuilding were for me. Turns out I enjoyed it, so I upgraded to a more permanent solution.

On my chid the freaking orings broke, one of them had a leaky tank due to a loose oring, taking it apart and cleaning was a nightmare, setting it up was finicky as hell, the seal on the positive posts would crack/tear. I realize the clones have probably came a long way...but to me the quality was evident.

This is just one mans opinion. I will probably own another clone of some sort, but I will always respect and appreciate the modders who made my iHybrid and Zenesis products.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread