What are vape shop owners supposed to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
A bike shop ain’t a bad idea. I’m in a little town where businesses have a hard time keeping the doors open, but our bike shop is doing okay. He sells quite a few of those recumbent (sp?) bikes and they’re not cheap.

I mean I know I can get an inner tube for a couple bucks and do it myself, but for $20-25 he’ll change it and tighten everything up and what have you. Saves me at least an hour just to go buy a tube and find my tools.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Of course the irony here is that all the shops here in Michigan (and now across the country?) that started as tobacco chain-stores and added vape stuff will be just fine, while the vape shops that refused to sell tobacco products because of the harm they cause, will go bankrupt.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Same here. I bought midlevel quality bike a few years ago for $300. The tube on the rear wheel sprung a leak, and I wasn't able to replace it myself. Had a tune up added for a total of around 120 bucks, which was well worth it to me. Had to leave it for a few days because he had so many other repairs ahead of mine.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
The question asked, what can we do? One of those things is write to your legislators and the Pres. CASSA has made that easy to do. When you put in your zip code everything is set up. Write your own message or not. The gun people cling to life because they are politically active. Vapers can do as well.

Vaping Prohibition is On the Table in Congress!

Georgia Boy

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2019
Atlanta Georgia
Keep writing and calling the White House and your legislators. I am going to go down to my local vape shop and buy some stuff from him and show support.

We (those that can afford it) can all be go to the rally in D.C. being arranged by the United Vapers Alliance or send them a small donation. Their website has had so much traffic it's down at the moment. When we hear dates, times, place someone will post it I'm sure.

The battle is not over if we pull together in the right way who knows what can happen.

Northstar6

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2019
Disappeared or turned into Pizza Joints ..
The only remaining video rental store I can think of locally has only survived because of a joint venture with the pizza shop next door. I believe the pizza shop owns the video store and drives business with pizza deals and movie rental specials.

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
Not just a tire repair shop. Sell bicycles, do repairs, do tune ups. The one I go to stays very busy.

He could start small by just offering tube repairs, then in about 7 years after doing a couple thousand tire repairs hopefully he can afford to start stocking Cannondale bicycles next to his Nautilus coils. Maybe throw a little Uber Eat deliveries in between to feed the family..

This ain't lookin good.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
I am sitting here laughing my @zz off...how do you suggest one goes from a vape shop to bicycle repair shop??? In what alternate universe does this even make any sense at all? The skill set required to service modern bicycles is huge, and then there is the optics...bicycle repair shop that sells vape stuff...:unsure::facepalm: Make that, facepalm X 1,000.

To the OP, if you ever see this, if you have to ask a bunch of knuckleheads on a vaping forum business advice, you are way more screwed than you can even imagine when/if things go south. Good Luck!

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I am sitting here laughing my @zz off...how do you suggest one goes from a vape shop to bicycle repair shop??? In what alternate universe does this even make any sense at all? The skill set required to service modern bicycles is huge, and then there is the optics...bicycle repair shop that sells vape stuff...:unsure::facepalm: Make that, facepalm X 1,000.

To the OP, if you ever see this, if you have to ask a bunch of knuckleheads on a vaping forum business advice, you are way more screwed than you can even imagine when/if things go south. Good Luck!

I think the OP asked what to do as a rhetorical question. But whatever... bicycles may be far beyond your skill set, but certainly not everyone’s. Half the kids in my family could repair motorcycles by the time they were in middle school.

PatVapes

Dec 11, 2018
Lima, Peru
@IVvapex I totally understand your situation and I hope that these bans don’t actually go through. You’re definitely not alone here, and I’m sure if you keep checking this forum you’ll find some ideas in case that things do turn for the worse.

On the other hand, I find it really insensitive to find this situation and the suggestions funny. Having dated a man in his early 30s who had trouble keeping his business going, I know how brave a person is to even admit that they need help or that they don’t know what to do. It’s really nice that almost everyone who posted here tried helping the OP even if they were suggestions completely unrelated to his current business.

I believe OP will be just fine. I haven’t lost hope yet! I think most of the community is trying to stay united to change this ban because it doesn’t just affect the USA or one person. It affects EVERYONE involved in the vaping community, everywhere in the world. Like it or not.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
I think the OP asked what to do as a rhetorical question. But whatever... bicycles may be far beyond your skill set, but certainly not everyone’s. Half the kids in my family could repair motorcycles by the time they were in middle school.
Um, yeah, I am an avid cyclist, I've got four bikes and do all my own repairs. I just can't see the jump from retail vape store to bike shop...maybe I am missing something here. I get that the post is probably just a vent of personal frustration, and I do have sympathy for the OP. Sounds like they are screwed...but even back a few years the writing was already on the wall that vaping might come under fire with the early talk about the deeming regs and the FDA's early attempts to squash vaping. If the post is genuine its probably a violation of the forums TOS for suppliers anyways, just funny to me that folks seriously suggest, open a bike shop, to a vape store owner, scratching my head in amazement here.

Ceejay0875

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2016
I believe the advice was to find another alternative that their particular community is lacking and join the two ventures together. A bike shop was used as an example. Phooey, a couple months ago ny mom went into a Christian bookstore that also operated as a Boost Mobile on the side. It CAN be done.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Posts like these are the reasons you would not find me opening my own business in this world-- for all the tea in China-- regardless of WHAT it was, EVER.

I don't think non business owners understand what it takes to learn a business, grow a business train employees maintain stock and whatever else HOW MUCH ENERGY and knowledge that takes.

I mean, I think the advice is well meaning and @ENAUD'S post is only hilarious because it is TRUE. You don't just go from vape shop to high end bike shop (and the kids are not where the money is, think Walmart) it's INSANE.

I mean.... Buisness ownership is ROUGH. My son convinced me to go to the Chinese food store in Douglas that I had sworn up, down, and sideways to go to NEVER in this lifetime, but he looked and it had enough glowing reviews that I was like, "Okay there has to be another one in town."

As we pulled into the fading, peeling crumbling (LITEALLY) storefront, I started praying not for NOT getting food poisoning, but rather NOT DYING from it. I was pretty certain it was gonna be... bad.

The little old Chinese lady was sort of depressing too, she talked about how no one ate there any more and etc., and how it was a dying business but the thing is they had done NO UPDATES in probably at least 15 YEARS if not MORE, and well, like.... It smelled like it. I made vaguely sympathetic noises and she went on about how all the restaurant business was in Mexico (and by the looks of it, it IS, the good stuff) and I had to have a very grave discussion with myself about just pitching it in the can when we got home.

It was AWFUL. My son disagreed but he just hates to be wrong on that stuff. It tasted like they had not changed the grease traps in like, 10 years.

I was driving around Douglas a day or two ago and it USED to have a vape emporium-- at ONE point. It was all shuttered and abandoned and distressed but you could read its excited messaging about vaping like on the side of the building still.

It was very eerie, kind of like being in the past and the future at the same time. I am here to tell you that an abandoned vape shop looks very dismal indeed.

There are plenty other ODD shops in Douglas that seem to do well, but the Vape store and the Chinese restaurant weren't two of them.

I would not start a business, I would NOT start a franchise even with all their regulations and getting half the profit! Holy goodness do I admire business owners.

I remember like, when every new town was a new adventure, filled with mom and pop businesses and you paid a little more, but it was all new and exciting. Those days are long gone. It's a shame. It really is. I vastly prefer a GOOD pizza store to a Pizza Hut, but the more we adjust and grow used to this, well, the worse it gets it really does.

Anna

This post brought to you by the family sized bag of Brussel sprouts I had for dinner, plus some almonds. I gotta go… to the bathroom. LOL. Which means where tomorrow? That's right WALMART.

Anna

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
Video rental stores were huge...before cable, streaming services, and Red Box made them obsolete.
I worked at a video store while going to college, my job was to also watch videos so I could recommend them to customers LOL Loved it :)

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London
I'm thinking dental treatment is expensive these days, and there has been a growth in gents barbers where I live. They had all but disappeared a while back and unisex hair salons were all the rage.

So...The OP should consider opening a barber shop where ya also get yer teeth pulled along with a good shave. No medical training necessary, just tooth pulled and a shot of whiskey. And a shave.

Maybe a bath tub in the corner for them without hot water at home. Relaxing back ground music is a must.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread