What are you confident about vaping and what are you fearful about vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rokyo87

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
OK, what I am confident about vaping. I am confident that vaping is less harmful than smoking tobacco cigarettes generally. I don’t know if 95% less harmful or just 20%. But I doubt that is 95% less harmful. I think that this estimate is lower on the scale. At the end of the day we are inhaling something in our lungs which is not pure air but sure, it si way way cleaner than cigarette smoke. We can all agree on that one for sure.

What I am fearful about vaping. I am the most fearful about 2 things. First one is stocking nicotine in the freezer for a long time. What if nicotine changes structure of the molecules over long periods of time in the freezer and then it becomes more harmful? What if it becomes carcinogenic? The second fear is using Titanium wire for making coils. What if Titanium when heated on temperatures above 200 °C leaks some bad stuff in the vaping? What if it is the worst possible wire for making coils? And so on.

Why I am fearful about that? Because I a have a lots of high strength nicotine in my freezer and because I am using Titanium wire for making coils. I have nicotine in my freezer and is about 2 years old and was bought before TPD was implemented in EU. I am using Titanium wire because I read a lot about different metals and Titanium seems one of the safest wires for this purpose.

But we never can’t be sure. You know how it is. You are sure until you aren’t and you know until you don’t.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I'd read some more on Ti wire.... from what I've read, it's certainly not the safest.

As for the nicotine, if anything, it'll get weaker over a long time period. Keep it away from heat, light and air to prevent that. I'm not sure how it can become "more harmful" when it isn't harmful to begin with.

To answer your 2 questions, I'm confident my health has improved drastically since quitting smoking by vaping. I'm fearful vaping won't be as available for the next smoker looking for a solution.

Anast

Apr 23, 2018
I am strongly confident to say that vaping is healthier than smoking. I felt huge improvements in life after the first week, now it just gets better. As any doctor says: listen to your body, mine says vaping is better than smoking. Longterm effects - no idea, but I am almost certain that every second vaper won't be dying from ejuices after 20 years.

Ionori

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2017
    As for the nicotine, if anything, it'll get weaker over a long time period. Keep it away from heat, light and air to prevent that. I'm not sure how it can become "more harmful" when it isn't harmful to begin with.
    1 gram of nicotine is more than enough to kill a person 50% of the time, i don't think that qualifies as "not harmful". There's also evidence nicotine is a carcinogen, though it is by far not the main contributor compared to all the other harmful substances contained in cigarette smoke, and frankly, nearly everything is a carcinogen. Moreover, just because nicotine tends to decay with time, particularly when exposed to oxygen and sunlight, doesn't mean what it decays into isn't more harmful than nicotine itself; you may wish to store nicotine in bottles that are completely full, even if it means using several small bottles instead of one large, semi-empty bottle.

I've read enough to be quite confident that vaping is the best choice for me (the stress of quitting would likely do more to damage my health, and don't get me started on analogs), beyond that, well, life is an STD with a 100% mortality rate.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    1 gram of nicotine is more than enough to kill a person 50% of the time, i don't think that qualifies as "not harmful". There's also evidence nicotine is a carcinogen, though it is by far not the main contributor compared to all the other harmful substances contained in cigarette smoke, and frankly, nearly everything is a carcinogen. Moreover, just because nicotine tends to decay with time, particularly when exposed to oxygen and sunlight, doesn't mean what it decays into isn't more harmful than nicotine itself; you may wish to store nicotine in bottles that are completely full, even if it means using several small bottles instead of one large, semi-empty bottle.

I've read enough to be quite confident that vaping is the best choice for me (the stress of quitting would likely do more to damage my health, and don't get me started on analogs), beyond that, well, life is an STD with a 100% mortality rate.
    Ok....and celery is harmful because as little as one square centimeter is enough to choke on. You can drown in water.... My seemingly harmless belt can be used to hang a puppy. Gotcha...you win the internet. :thumb:

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    I’m confident that I know a lot more about what’s in my vape than I ever will about what’s in a Marlboro. I’m less afraid of the nic in my freezer degrading than I am about not being able to get any more.

I know vaping is not 100% risk free, but I believe its risks are far less than smoking.

Whenever I think about it, it makes me also think of how unhealthy everything else is.
    The toxins we’re exposed to daily. In the grand scheme, vaping hardly warrants losing sleep over.

rokyo87

ECF Veteran
    Jan 22, 2016

Can you link me to 1 study which show that nicotine is carcinogenic?

Poslano z mojega SM-G955F z uporabo Tapatalk

Ionori

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2017
    Ok....and celery is harmful because as little as one square centimeter is enough to choke on. You can drown in water.... My seemingly harmless belt can be used to hang a puppy. Gotcha...you win the internet. :thumb:
    You've got to live in some serious denial to think that being able to choke on celery means nicotine is not a very poisonous substance.

Can you link me to 1 study which show that nicotine is carcinogenic?

Nicotine: Carcinogenicity and Effects on Response to Cancer Treatment – A Review
    Inb4 "well yeah nicotine does promote cancer but strictly speaking it does not fit the definition of carcinogen 100%".

Reactions: stols001

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    You've got to live in some serious denial to think that being able to choke on celery means nicotine is not a very poisonous substance.

/QUOTE]
    That's not the point. Neither vaping or smoking involves drinking a gram of pure nicotine. Eating celery doesn't involve choking .

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia

Nicotine: Carcinogenicity and Effects on Response to Cancer Treatment – A Review
    Inb4 "well yeah nicotine does promote cancer but strictly speaking it does not fit the definition of car

Inb4 "well yeah nicotine does promote cancer but strictly speaking it does not fit the definition of carcinogen 100%".
    Not sure why my post got trapped in your quote....but vaping and smoking involve drinking pure nicotine just like eating celery involves choking. Of course nicotine is poisonous . It was once used as a pesticide . But it's not harmful in the capacity that we use it. Please accept my humble apologies for not being specific enough for you .

Last edited:

rokyo87

ECF Veteran
    Jan 22, 2016

And here is data from SNUS users:

https://www.google.si/url?sa=t&sour...FjAIegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw2s5Hgves_RVJZBY2-U9AUu

No serious link with cancer and consumption of nicotine is much higher with SNUS if compared with vaping or smoking.

Marc411

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 17, 2014
    Windy City
    A more recent study, yours was from 2015. I found 2.1 interesting.

"2.1. Decoupling Nicotine from Inhaled Smoke for Harm Minimization
    The logic of smoking harm minimization is simple and compelling. As Michael Russell, a pioneer in
    the field, put it, “People smoke for nicotine but they die from the tar” (105, p. 1431). In getting the
    nicotine they seek, smokers are exposed to enormous harm, including from cardiovascular disease,
    cancer, and pulmonary diseases, due to the inhalation of toxic smoke from tobacco combustion
    products (117).

For most smokers, there is little evidence that nicotine itself causes any of these
    classes of disease when decoupled from smoke [see details in Niaura et al. (85)]. Although nicotine
    use poses some risk for vulnerable groups (e.g., with cardiovascular disease or during pregnancy),
    this risk is substantially lower than the risk posed by continuing to smoke cigarettes (10, 29, 30, 85).
    Nicotine itself does not appear to cause cancer, even in former smokers who use low nitrosamine
    snus for decades
    (10, 30, 58, 60, 64–66, 85).

Evidence also indicates that nicotine itself is relatively safe when obtained from FDA-approved NRT (85), which is widely used for smoking cessation (36, 38). E-cigarettes deliver nicotine without any tobacco in aerosol form (known as vapor) (30,57, 103). Smokers switching to vaping have experienced improved lung capacity and less frequent asthma events (96–98). At the doses that smokers experience, nicotine itself carries minimal harm
    (38, 85). Thus, if smokers could be shifted from smoking to consuming clean nicotine (i.e., without
    smoke), many lives would be saved (24, 30). The safest course is to stop smoking or, better, never
    to start. But a harm minimization approach recognizes that demanding absolute perfection is
    often counterproductive and that, when a harmful behavior cannot be eliminated, it is necessary"

Sorry for falling out of topic...
    topic.gif

Attachments

• Societal Views of Nicotine Use.pdf
      785.2 KB · Views: 2
    Last edited:

Ionori

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2017
    Not sure why my post got trapped in your quote....but vaping and smoking involve drinking pure nicotine just like eating celery involves choking. Of course nicotine is poisonous . It was once used as a pesticide . But it's not harmful in the capacity that we use it. Please accept my humble apologies for not being specific enough for you .
    I was replying to a post saying nicotine was not harmful, which is obviously false and you recognize it, would you like to make more pointlessly contrarian posts on the topic?

Jebbn

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2018
    safe distance from a black hole
    I actually feel confident about vaping. There isnt a lot about it that worries me, not the way and the amount I vape anyway.

What worries me is governments, quit smoking corporations, media and tobacco companies work against vaping and even vapers work against vaping.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I was replying to a post saying nicotine was not harmful, which is obviously false and you recognize it, would you like to make more pointlessly contrarian posts on the topic?
    I thought this was a vaping forum? :unsure: If used in recommended and typical quantities for vaping, there is no evidence nicotine is harmful to the user. The only possible death by nicotine that I am aware of was an unfortunate accidental death of a small child who drank his parent's e-liquid, and I've never seen evidence of that report. Probably "fake news" distributed by Big Tobacco or Big Pharm or ANTS.

Last edited:

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    You're pointing fingers about pointless posts??? What exactly do I recognize? That nicotine is harmful??? Negative, scooter. There's a difference between harmful and potentially dangerous . The celery, water and belt analogies were simple tools to illustrate how silly your comment was. By your definition, absolutely everything is harmful....even celery.
    We don't drink nicotine. We vape it and smokers smoke it. People on the patch absorb it....gum folks chew it. It's not harmful in any of these situations. Furthermore, I have yet to see a credible study showing it to be carcinogenic...as you've claimed .
    I hope you have a nice day. Be careful if you've decided to wear one of those harmful shirts....those things can get caught up in an industrial fan and it's lights out!

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 3, 2013
    I'm confident that negative information being spread about vaping turns into reverse psychology, intentionally or unintentionally i don't know. The more the world talks about flavours attracting kids the more the kids want it, it being preferable to tobacco.

I'm fearful that this same sort of information will eventually bring an end to the "legal" vaping industry.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread