What are you confident about vaping and what are you fearful about vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm confident of a few things. vaping has improved my health immeasurably. It's not me saying that, it's also my docs.

I'm pretty confident at DIY and I enjoy it. I'm confident enough I have enough nic to last me a lifetime, as I am entirely NOT confident that vaping will remain the same once the FDA is done.

I'm confident that I can build and coil most RTAs I have. I'm confident I have enough vape gear for the rest of my life, as THAT is how confident I am that my health has improved.

I'm fairly confident in that 95% figure-- for now. It's going to be hard to say without longitudianal studies, and we are far from that point (vaping hasn't been around long enough) but I AM confident that I received HUGE health gains from switching to vaping. Whether it's the absence of MOST harm caused by removing the cigarettes, and being vape free is better (I'm sure it is) I am also 100% CONFIDENT, that I'd be unlikely to STAY AWAY from cigarettes using any other method, so I'm pleased it's here.

I'm confident there are risks, but compared to the KNOWN risks of cigarettes? I'm pretty confident in vaping and my ability to do so with VAST improvements compared to my 3 ppd cigarette habit.

I am confident enough in vaping to praise it to others.

I'm (almost) confident enough to try a mech some day.

To the OP, you can certainly believe what you'd like about vaping, seriously. It's your choice. I have received MORE than 20% "harm reduction" as assessed by my doctors, so I'm confident in THAT.

Anna

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I'm afraid I'll be vaping, get into an accident and have my vape jammed down my throat by an exploding airbag, which will hurt and itch. I don't like an itchy throat.
That one actually scares me too. One untimely bump in the road and PRESTO! Instant Leon Spinx!

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Wow this whole thread is so full of fail.

At the end of the day we are inhaling something in our lungs which is not pure air but sure, it si way way cleaner than cigarette smoke. We can all agree on that one for sure.

"Pure Air" is a bit of a misnomer, it doesn't exist except in labs that produce it specifically. The air you actually breathe every second is dirty and full of all sorts of pollutants from pollen, ozone, bacteria, viruses, dust, dirt, mites, carbon dioxide (poisonous) carbon monoxide (poisonous), and millions of other harmful things. This "pure air" you speak of is worse in cities that in rural areas but thanks to wind and air currents not by a whole lot. I highly doubt what is in your vapor is much, if any, worse that what is in your "pure air".

What I am fearful about vaping. I am the most fearful about 2 things. First one is stocking nicotine in the freezer for a long time. What if nicotine changes structure of the molecules over long periods of time in the freezer and then it becomes more harmful? What if it becomes carcinogenic?

It doesn't. Nuff said.

The second fear is using Titanium wire for making coils. What if Titanium when heated on temperatures above 200 °C leaks some bad stuff in the vaping? What if it is the worst possible wire for making coils? And so on.

I am using Titanium wire because I read a lot about different metals and Titanium seems one of the safest wires for this purpose.

Titanium wire when over heated off gases some very poisonous stuff. IMHO Stainless Steel is by far the safest choice. Why? You heat stainless steel every day to cook your food with. If that was dangerous, you'd already be dead.

1 gram of nicotine is more than enough to kill a person 50% of the time, i don't think that qualifies as "not harmful". There's also evidence nicotine is a carcinogen, though it is by far not the main contributor compared to all the other harmful substances contained in cigarette smoke, and frankly, nearly everything is a carcinogen.

Yes nicotine is poisonous, so is alcohol, so is fluoride (in your water and toothpaste), so is MOST medications, so are many of the things I listed above that is in the "pure air" you breathe so is a LOT of other things you consume and breathe in on a DAILY basis. Just because something is poisonous in higher quantities doesn't mean it is "harmful" in smaller quantities. Sometimes smaller quantities can even be BENEFICIAL. Small amounts of alcohol daily can actually help prevent heart disease. Nicotine has been shown to reduce risks of Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia. Harm is a sliding scale, not an all or nothing absolute. Also, there is ZERO evidence that nicotine by itself causes cancer. In fact it is "Generally Regarded As Safe" (GRAS) by the FDA for LONG TERM USE in NRT delivery systems.

You've got to live in some serious denial to think that being able to choke on celery means nicotine is not a very poisonous substance.

I refer to my point above. There is poison in your tap water, in your toothpaste, in alcohol, in nearly everything you touch, eat, drink, or breathe. In small quantities it isn't harmful. High Fructose Corn Syrup, and RD&C Red 40 are both quite harmful. The Red 40 is a "probable carcinogen" and has been linked to ADD and ADHD yet both are in all sorts of food and beverages.

I thought this was a vaping forum? :unsure: If used in recommended and typical quantities for vaping, there is no evidence nicotine is harmful to the user. The only possible death by nicotine that I am aware of was an unfortunate accidental death of a small child who drank his parent's e-liquid, and I've never seen evidence of that report. Probably "fake news" distributed by Big Tobacco or Big Pharm or ANTS.

Sadly the post about the kid is true. There are 2 other deaths from eliquid I have been able to confirm both of which were ruled suicides. One guy injected the liquid directly into his veins. Another guy drank large quantities of alcohol and eliquid.

As for me? I am confident in everything I said above. What do I fear?

NO-FEAR-.jpg

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
You're obviously deliberately taking what I said out of context to misunderstand it, so I'm not even going to bother correcting you.
That's cool...there really isn't anything to correct. It was a fun conversation, though! :thumbs:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm afraid I'll be vaping, get into an accident and have my vape jammed down my throat by an exploding airbag, which will hurt and itch. I don't like an itchy throat.

That's an irrational fear I didn't need. LOL.

Maybe it will cause me to be a more attentive driver, but LOL, I'm considering disabling my airbag instead....:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Anna

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
You're obviously deliberately taking what I said out of context to misunderstand it, so I'm not even going to bother correcting you.

Why would I "deliberately" take something out of context? There is no point in doing so.

Completely IN context, you point blank said:
1 gram of nicotine is more than enough to kill a person 50% of the time, i don't think that qualifies as "not harmful".

So you are saying that because above a certain threshold (1g in this case), a substance (nicotine) can be fatal 50% of the time, thus it cannot be classified as "not harmful". Is any of that "out of context"? This is a fundamentally flawed point. Why? Because above a certain threshold nearly ANY substance can be fatal >50% of the time, yet in smaller quantities can actually be described as neutral or even beneficial.

If you feel I am wrong in how I am reading your post, please enlighten me.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Benefits of nicotine.....

"A study of Alzheimer's patients showed that those who wore nicotine patches were better able to remember and pay attention than those who didn't. Another study showed that nicotine boosted cognitive function in older people who didn't have Alzheimer's, but were showing signs of age-related mental decline.

Nicotine also seems to protect against Parkinson's disease, in which the death of cells in a small area of the brain results in tremors, impairing movement and as well as cognitive difficulties."

Study finds nicotine safe, helps in Alzheimer's, Parkinson's

Could Nicotine Help Prevent Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease?

https://juniperpublishers.com/oajt/pdf/OAJT.MS.ID.555552.pdf

Attachments

• Study finds nicotine safe helps in Alzheimers Parkinson's.pdf
    119.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL

"A study of Alzheimer's patients showed that those who wore nicotine patches were better able to remember and pay attention than those who didn't. Another study showed that nicotine boosted cognitive function in older people who didn't have Alzheimer's, but were showing signs of age-related mental decline.

Nicotine also seems to protect against Parkinson's disease, in which the death of cells in a small area of the brain results in tremors, impairing movement and as well as cognitive difficulties."

You'll need a club. ;)

Reactions: Asbestos4004

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Someone on this thread just doesn't seem to understand MOST things that are safe, may also be poisons under the right circumstances and dosage strengths. For example, if I use my cast iron pan for COOKING, it turns out great. The last time I hit the husband in the head with it, I had to call the paramedics.

Also, the question is not "am I going to die." At least, it's NOT MY QUESTION. I am assuredly, going to die some day.

Really, the game for me has become, "How would I PREFER to die," and I tend to tailor my actions accordingly.

There is little wrong with the right nicotine dosage, without combustion, AT THE RIGHT FREAKING DOSAGE. And, since it doesn't BUILD UP IN YOUR BODY, unless you INGEST the RIGHT DOSAGE at the RIGHT TIME, it will kill you, but then and only then.

This is such a foolish statement I'm not even sure why I'm bothering.

To the poster on the thread who feels nicotine is so deadly citing a DOSE and PERCENTAGE of death, sheesh, are you, personally, planning to ingest such dosage? If so, believe it or not, I can HELP with that:
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline Phone Number
  • 1-800-273-8255
Find out more on: Suicide Prevention Lifeline

IF you are not planning to dose yourself that way, there are ZERO issues. The ONLY issue might be a slightly (and it is slight) elevated circulatory risk... Go get an echocardiogram and come back with the results, which, if they're normal, you are probably Just Fine.

I think you already KNOW that, but in case you don't well, no, nicotine at the right dose is NOT going to harm you much.

Thanks for using the straw man argument, it's one of my favorites to deal with! It's so easy to refute. Well done, you have failed to alarm me OR my vaping self.

Holy what are they teaching kids in school these days? LOL.

Anna

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Now, I find these benefits to be some of the most frightening things I have read in a long time. Especially at seventy-three and needing whatever cognitive abilities I still have. [sarc if such notice is required]

rokyo87

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
Titanium wire when over heated off gases some very poisonous stuff. IMHO Stainless Steel is by far the safest choice. Why? You heat stainless steel every day to cook your food with. If that was dangerous, you'd already be dead.

So is SS wire when overheated - Hexavalent Chromium or Cr(VI) which is strongly linked to lung cancer.

Which "very poisonous stuff" do you mean? Maybe Titanium Dioxide or TiO2? White stuff which is released when Titanium is heated above 600 °C?

Furthermore Titanium is biocompatible and resist corrosion that's why is used in medicine.

Last edited:

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
I am confident if I had not started vaping I would have smoked 3934 +/- a few packs that I haven't due to vaping, and, nicotine is no more harmful than caffeine.

I am fearful that somebody on the inter web doesn't approve of my preferred vaping method.
Actually I am fearful of the asshats in DC doing all they can to screw up vaping and the vapers that are our own worst enemy in the struggle. You know, the ones that push their method claiming it is better or safer.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
So is SS wire when overheated - Hexavalent Chromium or Cr(VI) which is strongly linked to lung cancer.

Which "very poisonous stuff" do you mean? Maybe Titanium Dioxide or TiO2? White stuff which is released when Titanium is heated above 600 °C?

Furthermore Titanium is biocompatible and resist corrosion that's why is used in medicine.

Any chromium ions from SS as it corrodes/oxidizes are in the trivalent state, NOT the hexavalent state, which like the chromium in the un-corroded steel, is not a health hazard. Hexavalent chromium has ONLY ever been found associated with the flux-shielded welding/cutting processes of SS and even then in such small quantities that NO TESTS have ever been able to show that it was actually hazardous to the people working in the machine shops where these processes are performed all day every day. So unless you are using a welding machine or cutting torch on your coil this is NOT even a possible risk when dry burning your coil. If you were heating your coil to the point that it could be an issue, using a cutting torch, you would no longer have a coil, you would have a puddle of liquid metal.

On the other hand Titanium dioxide is classified as carcinogenic 2, which means that can be carcinogenic to humans and IS released when dry burned for cleaning.

Seriously though, Titanium as long as you replace the coil instead of burn to clean it, is still reasonably safe and MUCH safer than smoking. So if that is what you prefer, then by all means, do so. I'll stick to my SS.

Last edited:

rokyo87

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
On the other hand Titanium dioxide is classified as carcinogenic 2, which means that can be carcinogenic to humans and IS released when dry burned for cleaning.

I never dry burn my coils for cleaning... I clean it with toothbrush or change it. Dry-burning Titanium is stupid. I think is even stupid to use Titanium without TC mode.

Yes, Titanium dioxide is classified as "possibly carcinogenic to humans" - 2B and conclusion is based on rats studies...

Here is one study:

Mortality Among Workers Employed in the Titanium Dioxide Production Industry in Europe

"Conclusions: The results of the study do not suggest a carcinogenic effect of TiO2 dust on the human lung."

And another:

http://www.sjweh.fi/download.php?abstract_id=609&file_nro=1

"Conclusions: Although misclassification of exposure and low exposure prevalence might have resulted in false negative results, this study does not suggest that occupational exposure to titanium dioxide increases the risk of lung cancer."

And another:

Titanium Dioxide: Inhalation Toxicology and Epidemiology | The Annals of Occupational Hygiene | Oxford Academic

"The toxicology studies set out to establish whether the rat was oversensitive to high lung burden of insoluble dust compared with the mouse or hamster. It is considered that the results show that this is the case for both pigment grade and ultrafine TiO2.

The epidemiology studies investigated whether there was a link between increased incidence of lung cancer and exposure to TiO2 dust. In all the studies the overall conclusion was the same: ‘The results of the studies do not suggest a carcinogenic effect of TiO2 dust on the human lung’."

So, yes, I agree... It's not good to inhale TiO2 but carcinogenity of it is questionable.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I never dry burn my coils for cleaning... I clean it with toothbrush or change it. Dry-burning Titanium is stupid. I think is even stupid to use Titanium without TC mode.

Yes, Titanium dioxide is classified as "possibly carcinogenic to humans" - 2B and conclusion is based on rats studies...

Here is one study:

Mortality Among Workers Employed in the Titanium Dioxide Production Industry in Europe

"Conclusions: The results of the study do not suggest a carcinogenic effect of TiO2 dust on the human lung."

And another:

http://www.sjweh.fi/download.php?abstract_id=609&file_nro=1

"Conclusions: Although misclassification of exposure and low exposure prevalence might have resulted in false negative results, this study does not suggest that occupational exposure to titanium dioxide increases the risk of lung cancer."

And another:

Titanium Dioxide: Inhalation Toxicology and Epidemiology | The Annals of Occupational Hygiene | Oxford Academic

"The toxicology studies set out to establish whether the rat was oversensitive to high lung burden of insoluble dust compared with the mouse or hamster. It is considered that the results show that this is the case for both pigment grade and ultrafine TiO2.

The epidemiology studies investigated whether there was a link between increased incidence of lung cancer and exposure to TiO2 dust. In all the studies the overall conclusion was the same: ‘The results of the studies do not suggest a carcinogenic effect of TiO2 dust on the human lung’."

So, yes, I agree... It's not good to inhale TiO2 but carcinogenity of it is questionable.
Your OP suggested that you were worried about using Ti wire . It seems there are some of us who agree there are safer wires to use. But if you're set on using Ti then use it. I can assure you that you're the only one who cares what you build your coils out of . We were just offering some options based on our experience.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain

Did you know that most Alzheimer's patients are vitamin D deficient and that vitamin D positively affects cognitive function?

Practical Neurology - Cognitive Consequences of Vitamin D Deficiency

Just throwing it out there..

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Reactions: Asbestos4004
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread