The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

What are you reading today?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dgriego, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. dgriego

dgriego Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Dec 8, 2009
    New Mexico
    I am an avid bookworm. I love books and there is rarely a day that I am not reading something. I thought it might be nice to see what everyone else is reading.

I enjoy books from most genres. I love thrillers, science fiction, fantasy, historical and some horror. I also read a lot of non-fiction.

This week I am reading a book called The Unit by Ninni Holmqvist.

I guess I would place this one in the science fiction section. It is about a woman who lives in what could be America sometime in our future. In this society people who have no children or no huge contribution to society are placed in the unit at the age of 50.
    The unit is a wonderful ritzy place to live, and you can do what ever you want. The problem is that during your stay you will participate in medical experiments and you will be called on to donate organs, at some point you will do so to your death.
    The main character of the book is Dorrit who leaves her decaying home and her beloved dog on her 50th birthday. She finds friendship and love at the Unit and something to live for. The problem is that there is no checking out of the Unit until one makes their final donation.

I am reading this book on my Kindle. At this time it is only available in that format but is suppose to also be released soon in paperback.

2. Katmar

Katmar Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Sep 19, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    I am a book fanatic, dgriego. Mostly, I read for entertainment. I love psychological thrillers, mysteries, horror and the occasional biography. Also love true crime stories.

Right now I am reading "Dead Sleep" by Greg Iles. He is probably near the very top of my favorite writers. I never want to put his books down.
    Harlan Coben is another favorite.

You want to go for a ride, these are your guys, imho.

3. BubbleBobble

BubbleBobble Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 16, 2010
    Louisiana, USA
    Last book read: The Road

Currently reading: The Zombie Survival Guide

4. eric

eric Forum Supplier ECF Veteran

Stephen King's - The Dark Tower series - Song of Susannah.

5. SBRFC

SBRFC Full Member

Dec 10, 2009
    USA, NY
    You can laugh about me but i read books like "The Secret", i think you can call it as "self-help".

6. beecee

beecee Super Member ECF Veteran

Great book :D

last read: complete sookie stackhouse series in a little over a week. hah.

Reading now: I dunno, we shall see! I'm thinking "Bite me" by Christopher Moore.

No, not a vampire story fan so to say, just coincidence.

7. The Wiz

The Wiz ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 14, 2009
    Whiskeyville USA
    DG.....Thanks for starting this great reading thread.As a bookworm myself I am in the middle of three books currently!

Stephen King: Under the Dome
    George R.R. Martin: Suicide Kings(A Wild Cards Novel....Modern approach to Superheros)
    Robert R. McCammon: Swan Song(A re-read with a new copy....wore the old one out)

Wating List:

Peter Straub: A Dark Matter(Feb 9)
    Joe Hill: Horns(Feb 17)(Hill is Stephen Kings son for those who didn't know already)

I try to listen to an audio book every night......helps me fall asleep!

:)The Wiz!

8. The Wiz

The Wiz ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 14, 2009
    Whiskeyville USA
    BB.....Make sure you check out World War Z(Zombie)....A delightful follow up to TZSG!!

:)The Wiz!

9. Matub

Matub New Member

Dec 14, 2009
    I'm currently reading ZSG! It's my 5th or so time through it.

Just finished God Hates Us All. It's the book from the first season of Californication. Whoever wrote it did a VERY good job of writing like the character Hank Moody.

10. Katmar

Katmar Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Sep 19, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Ahhh, Swan Song....my copy got lost when I moved. I LOVE that book. One of the best. Thanks for reminding me. I need to find a copy!!!

11. tribalmasters

tribalmasters Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 19, 2008
    United Kingdom
    I don't read many books due to the eyesight being bad however, I do sell them!!

12. catlvr

catlvr Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 24, 2009
    Kern County California
    I love reading books. Right now I'm finishing up Guilty as Sin by Tami Hoag. James Patterson is one of my favorite authors. Love his stuff.

13. dgriego

Dec 8, 2009
    New Mexico
    I have read Greg Iles and like his books although I have not yet read Dead Sleep, I am only an occasional crime thriller reader so I have never read Harlan Coben. But all books are awesome!

The Road was a worthy read, I have heard they are making am movie on that one. Have not yet read the Zombie Survival Guide but I do love a good zombie book!

I have read and loved many of King's books, I tried The Dark Tower years ago and could not get into the first book. Many have told me that I need to re-visit it.

Under the Dome was a very good book, I finished that one last month.

As for George Martin I am refusing to read any of his books until he gets off his butt and finishes the Song of Fire and Ice series! I am scared he will die before he gets it done! Now that is a great fantasy read!

Swan Song is awesome. I just re-purchased a copy for my KINDLE, one of my old favorites.

I am waiting on A Dark Matter also, and thanks for the tip on Joe Hill, I have never heard of him, will have to check that out.

Book are awesome. Two things in life I would not want to live without would be books and dogs.

14. Rhetoric Camel

Rhetoric Camel Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 24, 2009
    Plattsburgh, NY
    I usually try to stay away from reading, I'm a slow reader, and it doesn't play like a movie in my head, but I do enjoy very few books. At the moment I'm still trying to finish "Chariots of the Gods" about half way through it. It's a really good book.

15. olderthandirt

olderthandirt Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 28, 2009
    Willamette Valley, PNW
    I used to read a lot.
    Then I found vaping which in turn led to this damned forum! Who's got time to read when ECF beckons?

I do still cut some time for the written word though. Just started "The Crystal Cave", Mary Stewart.

Another treatment of the Arthurian tale. Love this stuff!

16. tribalmasters

tribalmasters Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 19, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Haha :D Thats my favourite book too!! Now if only ECF was available in paper back!!

Chapter 7 - Blue, yellow and Green foam mod

17. Ringo®

Ringo® Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 30, 2009
    Norcross, Ga
    I just got the first 4 in the mail today and I'm getting ready to put a dent in the first one when I get home

18. olderthandirt

olderthandirt Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 28, 2009
    Willamette Valley, PNW
    The appendices, Lounge and Outside, get good chuckles for sure

19. BradSmith

BradSmith Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Jan 8, 2010
    Northern Michigan USA
    Right now I'm reading Ted Bell's Pirate. It's Ok. I read at least one novel a week. Mostly I pick them up at the second hand store in town.

I love Swan Song and almost everything else Robert R. McCammon wrote. Boy's life, was also one of his good ones. However, if you like the end of the world type of course there is The Stand, but my favorite is Earth Abides by George R. Stewart.

Thanks for the thread I am a huge bookworm and have boxes and boxes of books and I don't think there is one in the bunch I haven't read at least twice.

20. dgriego

Dec 8, 2009
    New Mexico
    Oh YES, I loved the Stand...great book and Earth Abides is a classic!

I love books and it is great to see others who also love books. Maybe we can keep this thread going by posting short reviews on the books as we finish them and then something about the next book we are starting?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.