What are you reading today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgriego

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2009
New Mexico
I am an avid bookworm. I love books and there is rarely a day that I am not reading something. I thought it might be nice to see what everyone else is reading.

I enjoy books from most genres. I love thrillers, science fiction, fantasy, historical and some horror. I also read a lot of non-fiction.

This week I am reading a book called The Unit by Ninni Holmqvist.

I guess I would place this one in the science fiction section. It is about a woman who lives in what could be America sometime in our future. In this society people who have no children or no huge contribution to society are placed in the unit at the age of 50.
The unit is a wonderful ritzy place to live, and you can do what ever you want. The problem is that during your stay you will participate in medical experiments and you will be called on to donate organs, at some point you will do so to your death.
The main character of the book is Dorrit who leaves her decaying home and her beloved dog on her 50th birthday. She finds friendship and love at the Unit and something to live for. The problem is that there is no checking out of the Unit until one makes their final donation.

I am reading this book on my Kindle. At this time it is only available in that format but is suppose to also be released soon in paperback.

Last edited:

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
I am a book fanatic, dgriego. Mostly, I read for entertainment. I love psychological thrillers, mysteries, horror and the occasional biography. Also love true crime stories.

Right now I am reading "Dead Sleep" by Greg Iles. He is probably near the very top of my favorite writers. I never want to put his books down.
Harlan Coben is another favorite.

You want to go for a ride, these are your guys, imho.

The Wiz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Whiskeyville USA
DG.....Thanks for starting this great reading thread.As a bookworm myself I am in the middle of three books currently!

Stephen King: Under the Dome
George R.R. Martin: Suicide Kings(A Wild Cards Novel....Modern approach to Superheros)
Robert R. McCammon: Swan Song(A re-read with a new copy....wore the old one out)

Wating List:

Peter Straub: A Dark Matter(Feb 9)
Joe Hill: Horns(Feb 17)(Hill is Stephen Kings son for those who didn't know already)

I try to listen to an audio book every night......helps me fall asleep!

:)The Wiz!

Matub

Dec 14, 2009
www.youtube.com
Last book read: The Road

Currently reading: The Zombie Survival Guide

I'm currently reading ZSG! It's my 5th or so time through it.

Just finished God Hates Us All. It's the book from the first season of Californication. Whoever wrote it did a VERY good job of writing like the character Hank Moody.

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
DG.....Thanks for starting this great reading thread.As a bookworm myself I am in the middle of three books currently!

George R.R. Martin: Suicide Kings(A Wild Cards Novel....Modern approach to Superheros)
Robert R. McCammon: Swan Song(A re-read with a new copy....wore the old one out)

Wating List:

Joe Hill: Horns(Feb 17)(Hill is Stephen Kings son for those who didn't know already)

:)The Wiz!

Ahhh, Swan Song....my copy got lost when I moved. I LOVE that book. One of the best. Thanks for reminding me. I need to find a copy!!!

dgriego

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2009
New Mexico
I am a book fanatic, dgriego. Mostly, I read for entertainment. I love psychological thrillers, mysteries, horror and the occasional biography. Also love true crime stories.

Right now I am reading "Dead Sleep" by Greg Iles. He is probably near the very top of my favorite writers. I never want to put his books down.

Harlan Coben is another favorite.

You want to go for a ride, these are your guys, imho.

I have read Greg Iles and like his books although I have not yet read Dead Sleep, I am only an occasional crime thriller reader so I have never read Harlan Coben. But all books are awesome!

Last book read: The Road

Currently reading: The Zombie Survival Guide
The Road was a worthy read, I have heard they are making am movie on that one. Have not yet read the Zombie Survival Guide but I do love a good zombie book!

Stephen King's - The Dark Tower series - Song of Susannah.

I have read and loved many of King's books, I tried The Dark Tower years ago and could not get into the first book. Many have told me that I need to re-visit it.

Wating List:

The Wiz!

Under the Dome was a very good book, I finished that one last month.

As for George Martin I am refusing to read any of his books until he gets off his .... and finishes the Song of Fire and Ice series! I am scared he will die before he gets it done! Now that is a great fantasy read!

Swan Song is awesome. I just re-purchased a copy for my KINDLE, one of my old favorites.

I am waiting on A Dark Matter also, and thanks for the tip on Joe Hill, I have never heard of him, will have to check that out.

Book are awesome. Two things in life I would not want to live without would be books and dogs.

tribalmasters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2008
United Kingdom
I used to read a lot.
Then I found vaping which in turn led to this damned forum! Who's got time to read when ECF beckons?

I do still cut some time for the written word though. Just started "The Crystal Cave", Mary Stewart.

Another treatment of the Arthurian tale. Love this stuff!

Haha :D Thats my favourite book too!! Now if only ECF was available in paper back!!

Chapter 7 - Blue, yellow and Green foam mod

BradSmith

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2010
Northern Michigan USA
Right now I'm reading Ted Bell's Pirate. It's Ok. I read at least one novel a week. Mostly I pick them up at the second hand store in town.

I love Swan Song and almost everything else Robert R. McCammon wrote. Boy's life, was also one of his good ones. However, if you like the end of the world type of course there is The Stand, but my favorite is Earth Abides by George R. Stewart.

Thanks for the thread I am a huge bookworm and have boxes and boxes of books and I don't think there is one in the bunch I haven't read at least twice.

dgriego

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2009
New Mexico
Right now I'm reading Ted Bell's Pirate. It's Ok. I read at least one novel a week. Mostly I pick them up at the second hand store in town.

I love Swan Song and almost everything else Robert R. McCammon wrote. Boy's life, was also one of his good ones. However, if you like the end of the world type of course there is The Stand, but my favorite is Earth Abides by George R. Stewart.

Thanks for the thread I am a huge bookworm and have boxes and boxes of books and I don't think there is one in the bunch I haven't read at least twice.

Oh YES, I loved the Stand...great book and Earth Abides is a classic!

I love books and it is great to see others who also love books. Maybe we can keep this thread going by posting short reviews on the books as we finish them and then something about the next book we are starting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread