What does your doctor say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I'm going to have to back up the truck for a minute...

I have never heard of these research reports showing diethylene glycol that were posted by the National Institute of Health.
Do you have a link to any of these?

We all know about the FDA finding approximately 1% diethylene glycol in one of the 19 samples they tested.
But I have never heard of anyone ever finding any diethylene glycol in any other juice either before or since then.

I suspect that they tested a few more samples than they published results for. In spectrograph analysis, you can find traces of many chemical signatures. I'm sure there was a contaminated sample in the bunch where DEG got into a batch of PG during manufacture. Just like peanut traces get into foods in factories that make other foods, I can see where strict QC could allow DEG to contaminate PG if someone wasn't careful. Our water isn't 100% H2O, either.

The antifreeze scare was also elevated by the fact that DEG was replaced by PG because animals like the sweet taste of both. Dogs would lick up remnants of DEG based antifreeze drained from a radiator and die from ingestion. Once PG replaced DEG in antifreeze, dogs could lick up antifreeze and not be adversely affected. PG is in many of our foods, also. Check out the ingredients of sno-cone juice at the store, your salad dressings, your make-up, and your toothpaste tube. But, that gives people the ammunition to say that ecigs contain a component of antifreeze.

Paulette

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2012
Florida
My internist was very happy, but wasn't really familiar with e-cigs, so I explained. At first she said something about switching to the patch. I asked her why she suggested that and she said that it regulates the de-crease in nic intake. I asked her what was wrong with using the e-cig and decreasing the nic at MY desire. She said that was fine. She was just happy I wasn't smoking anymore!

AND, to those of you that are afraid to tell your doctors . . . please don't feel that way. As another member mentioned -- they are there to help you. You should not keep anything from your doctor (even if you know they are going to give you a lecture for it)!

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I completely understand that DEG can be found as a contaminant in products containing propylene glycol.
In fact the FDA allows products containing propylene glycol to contain up to 0.1% DEG.

However, it is my understanding that nobody has ever found DEG in e-liquid other than the FDA tests.
And this is something I make very clear to people when explaining the situation.

If there are other reports of finding DEG I would like to read them, because I want to make sure what I tell people is accurate.

Until such reports are identified, I will continue to tell people that DEG has not been found other than in that one sample...
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/centers-institutes/population-development/files/article.jphp.pdf

The presence of DEG in one of the 18 cartridges studied by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is worrisome, yet none of the other 15 studies found any DEG. The use of a non-pharmaceutical grade of PG may explain this contamination.

Keegie

Nov 20, 2011
Virginia
Last week, I went in for my annual check up. During the Q&A phase, when questioned whether I still smoke, I was pleased to announce "No. I quit 4 months ago!"

As my Doc reviewed my file, she asked me how I quit. I told her with e-cigs. I mentioned how within days, I began to notice benefits associated with NOT inhaling carcinogenic smoke anymore. I noted how my cough seemed to vanish overnight, my migraines all but disappeared, a noticeable improvement in lung capacity, & my sense of taste & smell returning, and of course that I smell much better!!!

I also mentioned that I did not set out to stop smoking, it just happened that one day as I went to buy a pack of cigarettes, I walked out with a disposable e-cig instead. And it turned out to be one of the best choices I have made in improving my health. I noted that I believed because the hand-to-mouth habit was satisfied, and the sensation was very similar to traditional smoking, it made it VERY easy for me to quit tobacco.

She was very receptive to the whole notion of vaping. In fact, she asked me if she should recommend them to other smokers!!! Of course I promoted our beloved vaping! I even gave her a breif rundown on the variety of mods, juices, and ECF!

All in all, I'm thrilled that we have one more Physician on our side in the battle!

Last edited:

Water 4 Fuel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2012
Portland,OR
Hey everyone! I am just curious if any of you out there have talked to your regular doctor about your switch from analogs to using a PV. If so, what did they have to say about it? My next check up isn't for months, but I plan on talking to my doctor about my switch to hear his thoughts.

My doctor of 20 something years retired in July.
I need to get a prescription refilled,so I went to my wife's doctor last Tuesday,who gave me a total physical.

I haven't actually started E Cigs yet.
I've been doing my research for about 2 1/2 months and I'm probably buying a Buzz Pro maybe an Infinity Pro.
Just waiting for my tax returns,so I can make my purchase and supplies.
I've been smoking for 40 yrs., so I'm in no real hurry,but it will happen very soon.

Back to point of issue:

While in the room with her (doctor) and my wife.
I told her that my wife and I wanted to start using E Cigs and quit smoking cigarettes.
I told her (doctor),that I was going to fill my own and was only going to use USA made juices,NO CHINA going into this body.
She (doctor) seemed to light up and was very much in favor and said "YES" "YES"

SO to make a long story short, MY New doctor was very favorable to me using E Cigs !!

Cowboy Cru

Moved On
Mar 24, 2012
Water 4 Fuel said:
;5442592While in the room with her (doctor) and my wife.
I told her that my wife and I wanted to start using E Cigs and quit smoking cigarettes.
I told her (doctor),that I was going to fill my own and was only going to use USA made juices,NO CHINA going into this body.
She (doctor) seemed to light up and was very much in favor and said "YES" "YES"

SO to make a long story short, MY New doctor was very favorable to me using E Cigs !!

Oh yea, this reminded me, and I hope I don't sound like too much of a newb here, but what is the main reason for people not ordering juice from China?

-CC-my avatar is Uranus

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
CC, lots of people are concerned about the quality of juice from a country that sells melamine as baby formula.
Um... No. It wasn't baby formula. It was pet food. And guess where the execs of that company are now. They're in prison, or they committed suicide. Did you know that, years ago, U.S. baby food makers used to sell white lithium axle grease as baby food? Did you know that more Americans died in the Spanish-American war from bad canned meat than in combat? Maybe you'd like to tell me the last time an American executive was imprisoned for selling contaminated products, or dangerous products. I'll wait..........That's right. Never. The owner of Box Elder shipped 200mg nicotine labeled as 58mg. Surely he went to jail for endangering the lives of so many people. No. Nevermind. Nothing happened to him at all.

When a country makes practically everything in the world, don't you suppose that they'd be responsible for most of the screw ups? When the U.S. used to actually make stuff, we were responsible for most of the screw ups. The difference being that, in the U.S., no one is accountable. No one goes to jail. Maybe a company goes bankrupt, the employees lose their jobs, the execs land on their feet with golden parachutes and start another company with a different name. But nobody goes to jail.

Nowadays, since all we make are financial instruments, we are responsible for the financial screw ups that almost destroyed the economy of the world. Who went to jail? Nobody. Instead we gave the banks billions of tax dollars.
Why are we so arrogant and self-righteous? We don't have a leg to stand on when we criticize China.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Oh yea, this reminded me, and I hope I don't sound like too much of a newb here, but what is the main reason for people not ordering juice from China?

-CC-my avatar is Uranus

There are three reasons. The first one is that China makes probably 90% of all the e-juice in the world. They don't make it just for Americans, so it doesn't always suit the taste of Americans. Just like European juice is made for European markets and many Americans think it's not flavorful enough. A lot of Americans think the sun revolves around the U.S., and they can't understand why juice made to appeal to the tastes of millions of people isn't customized for the tastes of a couple hundred thousand Americans.

The second reason is nationalism. People still think that "made in USA" means "made in USA" by Americans. Sometimes it's true, most time it isn't. It usually means mixed in USA from Chinese ingredients. Companies exploit it either way.

The third reason, and this is going to piss some people off but I don't care, is plain old American xenophobic ignorance. A Chinese company ships a billion of something to the U.S. and if there's a problem, it's all over Faux News and people squawk about it for years. An American company puts a contaminated product into the market and a week later everyone forgets all about it.

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego

jjcordone

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2011
Rhode Island
I had fallen of the wagon and back onto cigarettes about a couple of months before my last physical.
He had noted in my past record that I had switched to vaping and asked me if I was staying with the vaping.
Boy did I get a lecture on this.... Anyway, I know he's right and I came back to vaping a couple of months ago.
The main thing he said that rang true was "don't be a jerk, the cigarettes are killing you. You didn't have the ecig option available a few years ago and now that it is you have to make the switch or you will eventually die from smoking." He was very blunt. He also told me about the large number of success stories he's seeing in his practice, people who never would have quit now much healthier vaping...... and of course he told me about patients my age that are too far gone to bother...
I'm lucky to have a doctor that is keeping up on whats new in the world. I read here about the large number of them that are either too busy or something to look into things like ecigs.....

MsTick

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2011
California
Um... No. It wasn't baby formula. It was pet food. And guess where the execs of that company are now. They're in prison, or they committed suicide. Did you know that, years ago, U.S. baby food makers used to sell white lithium axle grease as baby food? Did you know that more Americans died in the Spanish-American war from bad canned meat than in combat? Maybe you'd like to tell me the last time an American executive was imprisoned for selling contaminated products, or dangerous products. I'll wait..........That's right. Never. The owner of Box Elder shipped 200mg nicotine labeled as 58mg. Surely he went to jail for endangering the lives of so many people. No. Nevermind. Nothing happened to him at all.

When a country makes practically everything in the world, don't you suppose that they'd be responsible for most of the screw ups? When the U.S. used to actually make stuff, we were responsible for most of the screw ups. The difference being that, in the U.S., no one is accountable. No one goes to jail. Maybe a company goes bankrupt, the employees lose their jobs, the execs land on their feet with golden parachutes and start another company with a different name. But nobody goes to jail.

Nowadays, since all we make are financial instruments, we are responsible for the financial screw ups that almost destroyed the economy of the world. Who went to jail? Nobody. Instead we gave the banks billions of tax dollars.
Why are we so arrogant and self-righteous? We don't have a leg to stand on when we criticize China.

Um...Yes, actually it was pet food AND baby formula. I'll provide links if you want, but it pops up pretty quickly on google. And yes, the perpetrators were executed. But the babies were still dead. And yes, we have scoundrels in the US, too. Ask me why I won't eat feedlot-finished beef (I kinda like my brain proteins to fold the old-fashioned way, thank you, and I am disgusted that so many Americans are willing to kill their compatriots for a buck). The e-cig was invented in China, and I am eternally grateful. And I think that all people everywhere have as much right as anyone to earn a living. But recent high profile and high mortality incidents with some Chinese products are legitimate reasons to question the quality control in Chinese industry. It's not xenophobia, it's just natural to be suspicious after such dramatic fails.

BTW, one of my favorite juices is made in China. But I still think that China needs to earn the trust of consumers and that's going to take time.

Last edited:

Uniqua

Verified Member
Apr 23, 2012
Green Bay, WI
I was so upset when one of my co-workers said, "how long are you planning to vape?" :glare: We had quit at the same time and she is off of hers already (3 weeks).:ohmy: I think it is best to vape for a little longer to be sure that I am ready when cravings hit. :blink: She acted like there was something wrong with me because I had different juices and gadgets I found on here. Jealous and foolish on her part. :facepalm: I will quit everything when I am good and ready. As a Registered Nurse, I can't think of anything better and I have tried it all. Now I am 6 weeks analog-free and loving it! There is nothing in these things that we can't eat, well, except the nicotine (it is a poison in large doses-watch how much you spill on your skin, folks!). The flavoring is often used in foods and PG is very similar in compound to Miralax, a laxative I hand out in droves in my nursing home, so vape on!!!!:evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread