What happened to my Slim Charger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravity

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Sandusky, Ohio, United States
So, I just got 2 of the new Slim Chargers yesterday.

Plugged them both in, and screwed in two batteries last night. Left for work this morning, grabbed my two freshly charged batteries off of them, and replaced with two dead ones.

Came home from work today to do the swap back, and now one of them won't recognize there's a battery screwed in. Light remains green, despite the battery being 20-blinks dead.

Tried multiple batteries, lifting the posts on the batteries, nothing... just stays green.

:closedeyes:

Thoughts?

JenJen

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2009
Sunny Arizona
I don't know if it is the same with the new chargers as the old chargers, but sometimes when a battery is really really dead, the red light won't go on to signal charging for 5 - 15 minutes. It is like the battery is so dead it needs to charge a bit until it has enough charge to indicate it is charging. Might try leaving it on the charger for 15 minutes and see if it turns red. Just a thought. :)

Gravity

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
JenJen: Tried that.. still just green. And I tried 5 or 6 different batteries in it, at various levels of charge-ed-ness. ;) NONE of them blinked to indicate they were receiving a charge... none of them made the charger light turn red.

Ah, well, I filled out a ticket... I'll let the V4L guys figure out what's wrong with this thing.

Morandir835

Idiot Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2011
Outside DC
Haven't dealt with that Gravity sir, but have a few suggestions. Leave it unplugged for around 15-30 minutes, that might reset the logic chip on the charger. Have you been leaving it plugged in when changing the batts? Know that is potentially harmful to the batts, could also be to the charger. Could be what Ms. Jenjen said... If that doesn't work, time to fill out a ticket...

Gravity

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Unplugged it, will report back later on if it reset, Morandir, sir.

Also, yes.. I've always left my chargers plugged in while switching batts... I never knew to do otherwise! I can honestly say I've never unplugged, screwed in, replugged to change a battery out. That doesn't sound like something that many would do....

SnowDragon

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Boise, Idaho
Like all first gen products...we are the beta-testers...I haven't had any issues yet...but who knows? We all know how that goes...might just be a matter of time. Good thing is you know V4L will replace it and we have all made a mental note for the next time this type of problem surfaces.

Sorry to hear about it Gravity....bummer :(

Sallyem

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2010
California
Have you been leaving it plugged in when changing the batts? Know that is potentially harmful to the batts, could also be to the charger.

Is that for real, Morandir? I have never, ever, unplugged a charger, plugged something in it, and plugged the charger back in. Are you saying that we SHOULD be doing that?
No problems yet with me doing it the way I have been. Any others doing it that way?

CatMommy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Is that for real, Morandir? I have never, ever, unplugged a charger, plugged something in it, and plugged the charger back in. Are you saying that we SHOULD be doing that?
No problems yet with me doing it the way I have been. Any others doing it that way?

Yes Sally. I do it the way Morandir described. I read somewhere to unplug from power before attaching a device to be charged.

Gravity

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Apparently SnowDragon didn't get that memo, either... just went and rewatched his video review of the Slim Charger, and he screws them in while the charger is plugged in, too.

I don't recall seeing anything about unplugging your charger when swapping batteries, ever. I'm not discounting that you've posted it before, Morandir... but it's not something that I personally remember reading, nor have I seen anywhere else. Just does not seem like common knowledge or practice.

JenJen

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2009
Sunny Arizona
Really? I never do that. In fact, my chargers are always in the outlet, always with a battery in it. When it is time to change batteries, I unscrew the one from the charger and screw in the one that needs a charge. lol I have done this for 2 years with no harm to the charger or the batts. (I've had 1 charger bite the dust and probably lost about 6 batteries which I would think would be pretty average over the course of 2 years).

I just got 2 of the new slim chargers a week ago and so far using the same way as the old chargers with no ill effects *knocks wood*.

Should I be doing something different? Anyone know?

SnowDragon

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Boise, Idaho
This post Morandir linked to was going on while I was making my video so I was not on the forum following that post. Like Jen Jen I have been plugging my Chargers in and screw in the batts without any issues. That's not to say there aren't any issues, it sounds like there very well might be.

I'm guessing the bulk of users have them plugged in, then screw in the batteries so time will tell if this is a fluke or an inherent design flaw. The fact that Morandir could cause this to happen makes it sound like a design flaw. As I said, we are the beta testers of these first gen rechargers, much like the first Diamond Series of batteries. There have to be over a 1,000 of these chargers in-use by now so I'm sure any issues will soon surface. Hopefully one of the staffers will chime if this is indeed a design flaw.

I am now purposely leaving the chargers plugged in when I screw in the batts to see if I can recreate this same issue....but so far all it does is charge my batteries. I think we are all going to have our eyes open to see if more family members are having this same problem.

Last edited:

Wintering

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2011
SF Bay Area
Interesting! I just popped over to the forum to see if anyone else is experiencing 'issues' with the Slim Chargers. (I have 2!) My first one, is still working like a champ, but my new one is acting whonky. (*giggles*, yes that's a word!) ;)

Being from CA, I always unplug the chargers after use. When my batt's get poopy, I screw them in, and then plug into the wall. There has always been that comforting green light, 3 blinks, then the red light. Yikes, until today.... the new charger (about 2 weeks old) wouldn't even light, at all. *sniff-sniff* And yes, I've tried various plugs throughout the house.

Hmmmmm......

dohsma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2009
WI, USA
That one is gonna need replacing as well.

Interesting! I just popped over to the forum to see if anyone else is experiencing 'issues' with the Slim Chargers. (I have 2!) My first one, is still working like a champ, but my new one is acting whonky. (*giggles*, yes that's a word!) ;)

Being from CA, I always unplug the chargers after use. When my batt's get poopy, I screw them in, and then plug into the wall. There has always been that comforting green light, 3 blinks, then the red light. Yikes, until today.... the new charger (about 2 weeks old) wouldn't even light, at all. *sniff-sniff* And yes, I've tried various plugs throughout the house.

Hmmmmm......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread