What has Switcher been up to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
In order to keep the Platinum thread on course I will try and explain my whereabouts here.

In short the forums and vaping in general burnt me out. I would like to take the time to quote a famous saying from Jack Nicholson... You want the truth? You can't stand the truth! The latter is not limited to vaping forums but forums in general...

Why would one spend an inordinate amount of time researching relevant info, and sharing said info only to have it disted by some inconsiderate neophyte that think they invented vaping, or any other juicy subject for that matter. There is a large difference between discussing topics, sharing information, exchanging ideas, raising questions and, arguing with the poster the very merit of the "free" information provided by the respondent. As stated this is not necessarily vape related. One learns fairly early on (if they are paying attention) credible sources for information, or the accuracy of the information presented. I will go with the latest development 1st and move back in history.

Evolv has partnered with Innokin, in that Innokin will be sporting the DNA20 board in al it's new VW mods. Now to many this partnership is a no no. Why are we going to China for. Very simple! Us greedy North Americans has forced manufacturing to 3rd world countries, it is that simple. Watch the videos on P Busardo's channel wrt the announcement, and listen carefully to both Presidents on why they chose that route. It makes perfect business sense. It permits both parties to function and develop in their "areas of expertise", bringing to the consumer a product that would otherwise be elusive to many. If we look at Evolv's perspective, they have nothing to lose in this partnership but everything to gain. It is Innokin that will need to step up to the plate (which they have)

That being said... Chinese board mfrs are POed at Innokin for out sourcing their electronics. As George stated (Innokin's president) they have consistently failed to meet our demands and objectives, many refusing to incorporate new ideas and technology (think of the rattle snake) where the frequency of PWM was at 33Hz or lower in several VW boards, Sigeli if I am not mistaken. Innokin always welcomed consumer feed back and have incorporated this feed back readily into their designs/future designs, in correcting alleviating mistakes etc... That is why Innokin will be a force to reckon with. They listen to the consumer. Once upon a time Joyetech was a force to be reckoned with, they have lost that market share for various reasons.

Folks are POed because Innokin has limited their boards to 20W. Let me re-phrase that sub-Ohm vapers are POed with the boards limitation. Now strictly speaking of marketing and sales, sub-Ohm vapers are an insignificant entity in today's current market. Many believe that the market is as high as 50%, these folks are simply delusional as it is mathematically impossible to be there. We can argue this point until we are blue in the face. Nonetheless an impossibility. Now, I am not going to refute folks that believe Sub-Ohm (SO) vapers own a larger share than 10% at best, depending on their immediate entourage. If the vaper's exposure is limited to their immediate entourage, it can easily be seen that their beliefs are skewed for lack of outside exposure (so to speak). Innokin's approach was to sell to the market as a whole and not a mere segment of said market. The market at large could be as high as 70%, but much lower in real life, because 70% of the market still vape eGo style setups. These are known facts and IAH very hard to refute as the avg vaper does not come into the scene with APVs, as long as the amount of new vapers continue to rise exponentially, that number is not about to change any time soon. Statistics 101 and Fibonacci's sequence.

Now when we apply his sequence it can easily be seen that if the avg vaper 65% is vaping eGo style devices, it only leaves 35% of vapers vaping something else. That number X regardless of the size of the number once subject to the sequence becomes 25 and 10% respectively. Therefore, mathematically speaking SO vapers can only represent 10% at most of our community, with 25% of vapers vaping APVs. It is not rocket science, an extremely useful and valuable formula that manifests itself in every walk of our daily lives.

Lets use some other criteria for corroboration into Mr Fibonacci's sequence. If we take a cross section of population, any population, what would the percentage be of average individuals, superior individuals and brilliant individuals (outstanding individuals) 65-25 and 10%. Now in each segment of the population who is the smartest in his/hers demographic (section) once again apply the sequence and you will come up with the answer. Regardless of how many intelligent/brilliant individuals in any cross section there could only be one Einstein, whether we accept it as fact or not. It is a fact of life and only once embraced can we truly understand what forces govern our daily lives. Once again lets look at the 10% category = 10 individuals with the sequence applied only one individual can be an Einstein as 10% of ten is 1. Now I am not saying that the other 9 are dummies, no I am categorically saying only one can be an Einstein.

These figures make sense because Mr Fibonacci said so many years ago. Fibonacci's sequence is a mathematical equation that governs everything we do and see in life, and is not limited to vaping. We often wonder why something seems out of balance or is not aesthetically pleasing etc.. apply the law of 2/3s and you will have your answer, regardless of where the "golden rule "golden mean" the sequence etc... is applied. It is also applied in figuring out the bell curve for warranty purpose etc... e.g something that is guaranteed for 2 yrs. Why are the majority of these products failing soon after warranty expiration? It's called limited exposure. The majority represents 65% at least, sometimes greater but never less. Therefore the company is ltd to a max of 35% failure rate of warrantable products. Thus, limiting there exposure. I once ran across a ltd warranty that extended for 20m not 18 or 24m like we are accustomed to seeing. Needless to say, the product was never purchased. Too much finesse employed by the mfr, pure and simple.

With all the hustle and bustle of our daily lives, folks no longer take the time to do proper research. With the advent of the Internet this should be a simple task, but is is not. How many folks use reference materials only these days. If you guessed 65% you would be wrong. I know a tricky Q :) 10% 25% use a combination of reference material and the Internet while the majority 65% limit themselves to Google. Although the Internet is a valuable resource the credibility of the information could be questionable, if not using a search engine appropriately. A search engine conducts a mathematical equation because at the end of the day a computer is nothing more than a fancy calculator. Hey we have come a long way from using slide rules (dang no longer remember how to use mine) but a welcomed calculator nonetheless. If you ask a computer 2+2, don't expect an answer outside of 4. A computer unlike humans only interprets its input with logic and without feeling. Therefore, if you ask a computer about PG safety you will get answer X. But re-phrase that same question and you will have a complete different set of results. e,g Google PG sensitivities or allergic reactions to PG, and although PG is categorized generally regarded as safe (GRAS) some folks are sensitive to PG. Whilst the original search will provide answers, the information provided is not quite accurate as although it might discuss certain sensitivities, the information will only scratch the surface. Only when, and I do mean only when, you google sensitivities and extrapolate that info with safety will you get the full picture. Now considering that 10% of the population now use their phones exclusively for all they do, to include but not limited to the Internet, their research is ltd and most often skewed. Why? Ever tried circumnavigating a web page on a phone? Not an easy task.

Let's discuss for a second some previous points raised here. Folks no longer take the time to go to the source to seek answers to questions etc... Now I am fully aware that ECF is a large intimidating forest of information to navigate. That being said I always went to the source for my info. e.g if I wanted to know about liquids I went to the DIY section and not ask in general chat. Why? Since most folks forget 30% of what they learned you only get 70% of your answer. Whereas if going to the source (DIY section) you have a greater chance in receiving accurate information to your question.

I recently returned to modelling (no not the runway LOL) but modelling as a hobby. Something I was absent from for over 30yrs. Man, has the hobby changed during my absence, to include but not limited we paint our models with airbrushes now (AB). Therefore, if one wants to know everything their is to know about ABs, where do they go? The modelling community, or the AB community? Now there are a certain percentage of yahoos that believe the former as a source of info because of what we do. Excuse me! ABs were around a lot longer than they have been used by modellers and proper techniques required for success. That is just one tidbit of info, there could be more but I believe I was capable of providing a point to what transpires these days at large, to include but not limited to the elitist out there as well :) A $500 AB in the hands of a klutz will still result in mediocre work, as a true artist can take a piece of junk and make it sing and perform like a ballerina. If you wanna become a ballerina, ya take ballet classes, not singing lessons.

So where did all this go South? :( A few months ago I was in the local B&M and an individual was vaping the latest and greatest @24mg, and was still not satisfied. I got tired of all his moaning and groaning and pulled a Dr Phil on him <<Son you need to get real with yourself, stop chasing rainbows and learn to deal with your addiction. vaping will help you get there but it is your mindset that will keep you there. Stop chasing rainbows.>> The store went silent. Of course the individual was taken by surprised but after some discussion conceded that it made sense. Now some can argue that vendors enjoy these type of customers, as they are good for business. Nope! nothing can be further from the truth as the majority are PITAs, and merely waste an inordinate amount of your time in comparison with dollars earned during that time frame.

Going back to yesteryear now... Once upon a time we used to measure longevity in weeks/months etc, which in all honesty was highly inaccurate, depending on actual use, many vape more than one flavour at a time and many vape more than one device at at time. Therefore, data collected is inaccurate IMHO. A more accurate measure for which some folks are not familiar with is liquid consumed.

Now I tossed a number out there in one of my posts about longevity being a measure of liquid used, and some questioned the industry STD of 7-10ml. IMMHO this figure is highly accurate based on our previous discussion herein. It is a known fact to many, and that many can have the sequence applied to reveal the % of the many. Cartos and cartridges never delivered the full monty even in the day, one could only get 65% of the liquid out of a carto or a cart. It goes without saying that many of us exchanging today were not around then, but for those that were, remember these numbers clearly now that their memory has been refreshed. Cartos never changed, there was no way to change them in the day. Carts OTOH could be modified, and that is why several methods were employed in trying to get the most liquid out of a cart per single refill. Many methods were used: the pryramid tea bag, fluval (blue foam) etc... the best out there bar none was the HighPing mod, who only used a portion of the fill to plug the end of the cart while the remaining liquid was held in suspension behind the "plug". many will argue the merits of the HP mod, but it was the only one that delivered 90-92% of the liquid contained per single refill. Why? Only a small portion of the filler was present in the cart and it only retained 1/3 of its holding capacity (surface tension). We will not discuss the latter for brevity, but a lot of forces are in play in all that we do, and it is the understanding and extrapolation of this information that made our discussions credible and interesting. It was during theses "brainstorming" sessions that folks exchanged ideas and went away with further Qs only to enlighten all of us during the next round. For the lack of a better word, it was mutually stimulating.

In the beginning the only available liquid was PG based, a component that has a density of 0.9 whilst nic and H2O 1, VG has a density of 1.2. Therefore, based on this information it can be seen that PG as a carrier was readily volatile and would wick easily, or at the same rate as water. Now start throwing VG in the equation, and everyone can see where I am going.

Cartos were designed as disposable items. You vaped them, when done, you put a fresh one on. That was their intention FULL STOP. Then someone found out that they can be refilled (using same falvour) and longevity could be extended to X. In the beginning this was a great discovery, and the cheap f....ers that we are, we all embarked on that wagon, to include bu not limited to boiling them out, in order to increase said longevity. Myself I never liked cartos, because of the "krate" taste. Krate was the nickname given to KR8 products and the only available carto on the market at the time (besides the proprietary ones) I preferred my carts with HP mod until Isaac cam out with a carto (SLB in the day if I am not mistaken, that delivered) without the "krate" taste. Folks had to be there to understand the "krate" taste.

Although boiling cleaned the polyfill to a great degree, the cartos only performed 90% at best after a cleaning, and this performnace degraded exponentially in subsequent cleans. I was always a "performance" vaper vs a frugal vaper. Although I did watch my Ps and Qs carefully, performance trumped longevity any day of the week and twice on Sundays. You were cleaning the polyfill but not degunking the coil.

So lets do some simple math here once again and for ease we will use a nice round #. A cart could hold 1ml of liquid on inital charge. It was stated (not by me) by someone else that surface tension was responsible for retaining roughly 35% of the liquid in the "fill". Switcher, ya keep bringing these #s back, you bugger :) because I told you the sequence manifests itself in everything we do, because physics and applied mathematic governs us. Therefore, in theory we can only add 0.65ml at the second refill, for a total of 1.65ml in two refills. Since we never empty a cart, sometimes replenishing them early because of chain vaping, it is quite possible that they lasted us a week or two. During this time frame the performance started to degrade at day 2, but because we were cheap wanted to extend their life as long as we could @ the detriment of performance.

Now folks discovered VG as a substitute to PG for folks that had/have PG sensitivities. They also discovered that it produced more vapour :) PEG was also discovered soon after and produced almost twice the amount of vapour than VG, at a cost, phlegm build up in the lungs. Very few if any this day use it in liquids. This http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ikenvape/142394-equipment-longevity-vg-liquids.html was written in 2010, although dated, still very much relevant. Something I mentioned in the past wrt VG doesn't readily volatilize well it doesn't. Although it holds particulate in suspension well, the majority of the carrier (VG) is not vapourized, resulting in a term I coined "spent liquid". Perhaps not as evident in cartos because ut can't be seen, but definitely noticeable with drippers, where we were mislead to re-drip because of lack of flavour or VP only to find out were flooded. This liquid present at the coil would no longer vaporize and hence the term spent liquid. Now apply this phenomenon to cartos and you can readily see where I am coming from, as greasiness is almost dbled with VG in our liquids.

Now is this all bad? Heck no! OTOH have realistic expectations. I can say almost verbatim that folks trialling the new plats are vaping undiluted VG in their mixes (perhaps with the exception of the DIY) as I know of only one mfr that dilutes their VG. It all goes back to wetting and interpreting the information provided by the reviewers. Now I can very well be out to lunch, but there are certain things that simply don't change to include the new tank systems with coils. A better unit life, but one that degrades within weeks not months. Proof to the pudding...

Carto longevity increased when the unit was submerged, there is no denying that. One thing we could not do was burn the filler which contributed to the inadequacies of properly wicking the liquid, unless the permeability of the filler was put to the test with improper viscosity adjusted liquids, e.g too much VG. The vaper placing too much demand on the system. This was corroborrated during the many autopsies I have performed in the past. Why are the new carto tanks better than their predecessors with the long wicks? No wetting or capillary action issues, limit the amount of wettable material between the liquid and the coil and you have success. The only other factor is coil gunk and remaining short wick greasiness over time.

Sorry for the long dissertation folks, you wanted to know, now you do :) As can be seen not an easy explanation, but my explanation nonetheless. It was a pleasure sharing this with you, my IKV family. It is not something I care to share with many at large on this forum, the Canadian Forum or any other forum for that matter. My time is valuable to me, and I have come to the conclusion that I am done wasting it. :)

Switcher

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Thanks Gregg :)

I remember not so fondly the heated debates that surrounded the Darwin and the Provari at the time. They were both due to come out in the market at similar times. Although there were other VV devices out there the "buzzkill", the Provari was going to revolutionise the vaping industry, with onboard demand functions. Although clunky, one did not need a mini screwdriver and voltage tester to determine the setting one wanted. Now many in the day defended the lack of features with statement like << you don't need to know the setting, you adjust the setting by taste>> ummm, sorry :( Equipment longevity required one to be at least in the ball park, not driving to the ball park. In the day we calculated what we did in our heads as no device out there could provide this info for us. It became 2nd nature after a while and was conducted pretty much without much thought. e.g we knew you didn't match a 2.2Ohm coil with 6V 4.2 to 4.5V perhaps but not a 2.2 or, the requirement to use a 2.5 for 5V, probably the best vape ever and folks would be surprised how accurate that statement is with their VW setups.

So when the Darwin was being discussed there was a large division amongst the 2 camps. Being an ex Control Technician I immediately saw the potential and had a pretty fair idea (this was before the lengthy explanations) on how this was feasible. Now, when Brandon (Evolv) approached John for a board design he was shooting for VV. John the genius that he is (yes a 1%) said why are you not trying to control heat since it seems that is what you are after? The rest is history...

John's concept was foreign to many who simply did not have the background to interpret what was going on or what was possible. I will concede I did not know how they were going to do it, but understood what they were going after in principle/theory. We meet various individuals on forums, from various walks of life, with varying degrees of intelligence. I remember some yahoo having an argument with Kurt Kistler a Phd Chemist LOL. Son I believe you just bit off more than you can chew. It was an entertaining read to say the least :) Kurt had the patience of Jobe... Just because one doesn't necessarily know about something or may not understand the merits of the discussion or information, it doesn't mean you go at it like a bull in a China shop. It is better to sit in the corner and look like an idiot, than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Then we have the forum trolls. It doesn't take long to figure those out. That being said some are extremely talented in their chosen craft :) Nonetheless, it taints intelligent exchanges to a point that very few veteran members participate any more. Anyone care to guess at a number? So instead of embracing wisdom, experience and learning from it, we dis the greatest source of information out there and wonder why there is so much chaff out there before we can get at the wheat. We have simply moved along ... :)

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
Thanks Gregg :)

I remember not so fondly the heated debates that surrounded the Darwin and the Provari at the time. They were both due to come out in the market at similar times. Although there were other VV devices out there the "buzzkill", the Provari was going to revolutionise the vaping industry, with onboard demand functions. Although clunky, one did not need a mini screwdriver and voltage tester to determine the setting one wanted. Now many in the day defended the lack of features with statement like << you don't need to know the setting, you adjust the setting by taste>> ummm, sorry :( Equipment longevity required one to be at least in the ball park, not driving to the ball park. In the day we calculated what we did in our heads as no device out there could provide this info for us. It became 2nd nature after a while and was conducted pretty much without much thought. e.g we knew you didn't match a 2.2Ohm coil with 6V 4.2 to 4.5V perhaps but not a 2.2 or, the requirement to use a 2.5 for 5V, probably the best vape ever and folks would be surprised how accurate that statement is with their VW setups.

So when the Darwin was being discussed there was a large division amongst the 2 camps. Being an ex Control Technician I immediately saw the potential and had a pretty fair idea (this was before the lengthy explanations) on how this was feasible. Now, when Brandon (Evolv) approached John for a board design he was shooting for VV. John the genius that he is (yes a 1%) said why are you not trying to control heat since it seems that is what you are after? The rest is history...

John's concept was foreign to many who simply did not have the background to interpret what was going on or what was possible. I will concede I did not know how they were going to do it, but understood what they were going after in principle/theory. We meet various individuals on forums, from various walks of life, with varying degrees of intelligence. I remember some yahoo having an argument with Kurt Kistler a Phd Chemist LOL. Son I believe you just bit off more than you can chew. It was an entertaining read to say the least :) Kurt had the patience of Jobe... Just because one doesn't necessarily know about something or may not understand the merits of the discussion or information, it doesn't mean you go at it like a bull in a China shop. It is better to sit in the corner and look like an idiot, than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Then we have the forum trolls. It doesn't take long to figure those out. That being said some are extremely talented in their chosen craft :) Nonetheless, it taints intelligent exchanges to a point that very few veteran members participate any more. Anyone care to guess at a number? So instead of embracing wisdom, experience and learning from it, we dis the greatest source of information out there and wonder why there is so much chaff out there before we can get at the wheat. We have simply moved along ... :)

Some of that I agree to and some not. Ecigs were made to take the place of stinkies. When I lit a stinky it was for flavor and I knew it would only last a few minutes. Vaping I do it also for the flavor. The amout of voltage is only a convenience to get me to that taste if I put batteries in or some other equipment change. But the important thing is the taste. I usually vape at 4.8 to 5 volts on a 2.5ohm carto or close to that. I was amazed when I found out one carto I use alot I was vaping at around 7 volts. I set it for the taste because that's whats important. That's why I vape for taste and nicotine but I also use only tobacco flavors and don't do the candy, pastry, or other flavors.

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
In order to keep the Platinum thread on course I will try and explain my whereabouts here.

In short the forums and vaping in general burnt me out. I would like to take the time to quote a famous saying from Jack Nicholson... You want the truth? You can't stand the truth! The latter is not limited to vaping forums but forums in general...

Why would one spend an inordinate amount of time researching relevant info, and sharing said info only to have it disted by some inconsiderate neophyte that think they invented vaping, or any other juicy subject for that matter. There is a large difference between discussing topics, sharing information, exchanging ideas, raising questions and, arguing with the poster the very merit of the "free" information provided by the respondent. As stated this is not necessarily vape related. One learns fairly early on (if they are paying attention) credible sources for information, or the accuracy of the information presented. I will go with the latest development 1st and move back in history.

Evolv has partnered with Innokin, in that Innokin will be sporting the DNA20 board in al it's new VW mods. Now to many this partnership is a no no. Why are we going to China for. Very simple! Us greedy North Americans has forced manufacturing to 3rd world countries, it is that simple. Watch the videos on P Busardo's channel wrt the announcement, and listen carefully to both Presidents on why they chose that route. It makes perfect business sense. It permits both parties to function and develop in their "areas of expertise", bringing to the consumer a product that would otherwise be elusive to many. If we look at Evolv's perspective, they have nothing to lose in this partnership but everything to gain. It is Innokin that will need to step up to the plate (which they have)

That being said... Chinese board mfrs are POed at Innokin for out sourcing their electronics. As George stated (Innokin's president) they have consistently failed to meet our demands and objectives, many refusing to incorporate new ideas and technology (think of the rattle snake) where the frequency of PWM was at 33Hz or lower in several VW boards, Sigeli if I am not mistaken. Innokin always welcomed consumer feed back and have incorporated this feed back readily into their designs/future designs, in correcting alleviating mistakes etc... That is why Innokin will be a force to reckon with. They listen to the consumer. Once upon a time Joyetech was a force to be reckoned with, they have lost that market share for various reasons.

Folks are POed because Innokin has limited their boards to 20W. Let me re-phrase that sub-Ohm vapers are POed with the boards limitation. Now strictly speaking of marketing and sales, sub-Ohm vapers are an insignificant entity in today's current market. Many believe that the market is as high as 50%, these folks are simply delusional as it is mathematically impossible to be there. We can argue this point until we are blue in the face. Nonetheless an impossibility. Now, I am not going to refute folks that believe Sub-Ohm (SO) vapers own a larger share than 10% at best, depending on their immediate entourage. If the vaper's exposure is limited to their immediate entourage, it can easily be seen that their beliefs are skewed for lack of outside exposure (so to speak). Innokin's approach was to sell to the market as a whole and not a mere segment of said market. The market at large could be as high as 70%, but much lower in real life, because 70% of the market still vape eGo style setups. These are known facts and IAH very hard to refute as the avg vaper does not come into the scene with APVs, as long as the amount of new vapers continue to rise exponentially, that number is not about to change any time soon. Statistics 101 and Fibonacci's sequence.

Now when we apply his sequence it can easily be seen that if the avg vaper 65% is vaping eGo style devices, it only leaves 35% of vapers vaping something else. That number X regardless of the size of the number once subject to the sequence becomes 25 and 10% respectively. Therefore, mathematically speaking SO vapers can only represent 10% at most of our community, with 25% of vapers vaping APVs. It is not rocket science, an extremely useful and valuable formula that manifests itself in every walk of our daily lives.

Lets use some other criteria for corroboration into Mr Fibonacci's sequence. If we take a cross section of population, any population, what would the percentage be of average individuals, superior individuals and brilliant individuals (outstanding individuals) 65-25 and 10%. Now in each segment of the population who is the smartest in his/hers demographic (section) once again apply the sequence and you will come up with the answer. Regardless of how many intelligent/brilliant individuals in any cross section there could only be one Einstein, whether we accept it as fact or not. It is a fact of life and only once embraced can we truly understand what forces govern our daily lives. Once again lets look at the 10% category = 10 individuals with the sequence applied only one individual can be an Einstein as 10% of ten is 1. Now I am not saying that the other 9 are dummies, no I am categorically saying only one can be an Einstein.

These figures make sense because Mr Fibonacci said so many years ago. Fibonacci's sequence is a mathematical equation that governs everything we do and see in life, and is not limited to vaping. We often wonder why something seems out of balance or is not aesthetically pleasing etc.. apply the law of 2/3s and you will have your answer, regardless of where the "golden rule "golden mean" the sequence etc... is applied. It is also applied in figuring out the bell curve for warranty purpose etc... e.g something that is guaranteed for 2 yrs. Why are the majority of these products failing soon after warranty expiration? It's called limited exposure. The majority represents 65% at least, sometimes greater but never less. Therefore the company is ltd to a max of 35% failure rate of warrantable products. Thus, limiting there exposure. I once ran across a ltd warranty that extended for 20m not 18 or 24m like we are accustomed to seeing. Needless to say, the product was never purchased. Too much finesse employed by the mfr, pure and simple.

With all the hustle and bustle of our daily lives, folks no longer take the time to do proper research. With the advent of the Internet this should be a simple task, but is is not. How many folks use reference materials only these days. If you guessed 65% you would be wrong. I know a tricky Q :) 10% 25% use a combination of reference material and the Internet while the majority 65% limit themselves to Google. Although the Internet is a valuable resource the credibility of the information could be questionable, if not using a search engine appropriately. A search engine conducts a mathematical equation because at the end of the day a computer is nothing more than a fancy calculator. Hey we have come a long way from using slide rules (dang no longer remember how to use mine) but a welcomed calculator nonetheless. If you ask a computer 2+2, don't expect an answer outside of 4. A computer unlike humans only interprets its input with logic and without feeling. Therefore, if you ask a computer about PG safety you will get answer X. But re-phrase that same question and you will have a complete different set of results. e,g Google PG sensitivities or allergic reactions to PG, and although PG is categorized generally regarded as safe (GRAS) some folks are sensitive to PG. Whilst the original search will provide answers, the information provided is not quite accurate as although it might discuss certain sensitivities, the information will only scratch the surface. Only when, and I do mean only when, you google sensitivities and extrapolate that info with safety will you get the full picture. Now considering that 10% of the population now use their phones exclusively for all they do, to include but not limited to the Internet, their research is ltd and most often skewed. Why? Ever tried circumnavigating a web page on a phone? Not an easy task.

Let's discuss for a second some previous points raised here. Folks no longer take the time to go to the source to seek answers to questions etc... Now I am fully aware that ECF is a large intimidating forest of information to navigate. That being said I always went to the source for my info. e.g if I wanted to know about liquids I went to the DIY section and not ask in general chat. Why? Since most folks forget 30% of what they learned you only get 70% of your answer. Whereas if going to the source (DIY section) you have a greater chance in receiving accurate information to your question.

I recently returned to modelling (no not the runway LOL) but modelling as a hobby. Something I was absent from for over 30yrs. Man, has the hobby changed during my absence, to include but not limited we paint our models with airbrushes now (AB). Therefore, if one wants to know everything their is to know about ABs, where do they go? The modelling community, or the AB community? Now there are a certain percentage of yahoos that believe the former as a source of info because of what we do. Excuse me! ABs were around a lot longer than they have been used by modellers and proper techniques required for success. That is just one tidbit of info, there could be more but I believe I was capable of providing a point to what transpires these days at large, to include but not limited to the elitist out there as well :) A $500 AB in the hands of a klutz will still result in mediocre work, as a true artist can take a piece of junk and make it sing and perform like a ballerina. If you wanna become a ballerina, ya take ballet classes, not singing lessons.

So where did all this go South? :( A few months ago I was in the local B&M and an individual was vaping the latest and greatest @24mg, and was still not satisfied. I got tired of all his moaning and groaning and pulled a Dr Phil on him <<Son you need to get real with yourself, stop chasing rainbows and learn to deal with your addiction. vaping will help you get there but it is your mindset that will keep you there. Stop chasing rainbows.>> The store went silent. Of course the individual was taken by surprised but after some discussion conceded that it made sense. Now some can argue that vendors enjoy these type of customers, as they are good for business. Nope! nothing can be further from the truth as the majority are PITAs, and merely waste an inordinate amount of your time in comparison with dollars earned during that time frame.

Going back to yesteryear now... Once upon a time we used to measure longevity in weeks/months etc, which in all honesty was highly inaccurate, depending on actual use, many vape more than one flavour at a time and many vape more than one device at at time. Therefore, data collected is inaccurate IMHO. A more accurate measure for which some folks are not familiar with is liquid consumed.

Now I tossed a number out there in one of my posts about longevity being a measure of liquid used, and some questioned the industry STD of 7-10ml. IMMHO this figure is highly accurate based on our previous discussion herein. It is a known fact to many, and that many can have the sequence applied to reveal the % of the many. Cartos and cartridges never delivered the full monty even in the day, one could only get 65% of the liquid out of a carto or a cart. It goes without saying that many of us exchanging today were not around then, but for those that were, remember these numbers clearly now that their memory has been refreshed. Cartos never changed, there was no way to change them in the day. Carts OTOH could be modified, and that is why several methods were employed in trying to get the most liquid out of a cart per single refill. Many methods were used: the pryramid tea bag, fluval (blue foam) etc... the best out there bar none was the HighPing mod, who only used a portion of the fill to plug the end of the cart while the remaining liquid was held in suspension behind the "plug". many will argue the merits of the HP mod, but it was the only one that delivered 90-92% of the liquid contained per single refill. Why? Only a small portion of the filler was present in the cart and it only retained 1/3 of its holding capacity (surface tension). We will not discuss the latter for brevity, but a lot of forces are in play in all that we do, and it is the understanding and extrapolation of this information that made our discussions credible and interesting. It was during theses "brainstorming" sessions that folks exchanged ideas and went away with further Qs only to enlighten all of us during the next round. For the lack of a better word, it was mutually stimulating.

In the beginning the only available liquid was PG based, a component that has a density of 0.9 whilst nic and H2O 1, VG has a density of 1.2. Therefore, based on this information it can be seen that PG as a carrier was readily volatile and would wick easily, or at the same rate as water. Now start throwing VG in the equation, and everyone can see where I am going.

Cartos were designed as disposable items. You vaped them, when done, you put a fresh one on. That was their intention FULL STOP. Then someone found out that they can be refilled (using same falvour) and longevity could be extended to X. In the beginning this was a great discovery, and the cheap f....ers that we are, we all embarked on that wagon, to include bu not limited to boiling them out, in order to increase said longevity. Myself I never liked cartos, because of the "krate" taste. Krate was the nickname given to KR8 products and the only available carto on the market at the time (besides the proprietary ones) I preferred my carts with HP mod until Isaac cam out with a carto (SLB in the day if I am not mistaken, that delivered) without the "krate" taste. Folks had to be there to understand the "krate" taste.

Although boiling cleaned the polyfill to a great degree, the cartos only performed 90% at best after a cleaning, and this performnace degraded exponentially in subsequent cleans. I was always a "performance" vaper vs a frugal vaper. Although I did watch my Ps and Qs carefully, performance trumped longevity any day of the week and twice on Sundays. You were cleaning the polyfill but not degunking the coil.

So lets do some simple math here once again and for ease we will use a nice round #. A cart could hold 1ml of liquid on inital charge. It was stated (not by me) by someone else that surface tension was responsible for retaining roughly 35% of the liquid in the "fill". Switcher, ya keep bringing these #s back, you bugger :) because I told you the sequence manifests itself in everything we do, because physics and applied mathematic governs us. Therefore, in theory we can only add 0.65ml at the second refill, for a total of 1.65ml in two refills. Since we never empty a cart, sometimes replenishing them early because of chain vaping, it is quite possible that they lasted us a week or two. During this time frame the performance started to degrade at day 2, but because we were cheap wanted to extend their life as long as we could @ the detriment of performance.

Now folks discovered VG as a substitute to PG for folks that had/have PG sensitivities. They also discovered that it produced more vapour :) PEG was also discovered soon after and produced almost twice the amount of vapour than VG, at a cost, phlegm build up in the lungs. Very few if any this day use it in liquids. This http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ikenvape/142394-equipment-longevity-vg-liquids.html was written in 2010, although dated, still very much relevant. Something I mentioned in the past wrt VG doesn't readily volatilize well it doesn't. Although it holds particulate in suspension well, the majority of the carrier (VG) is not vapourized, resulting in a term I coined "spent liquid". Perhaps not as evident in cartos because ut can't be seen, but definitely noticeable with drippers, where we were mislead to re-drip because of lack of flavour or VP only to find out were flooded. This liquid present at the coil would no longer vaporize and hence the term spent liquid. Now apply this phenomenon to cartos and you can readily see where I am coming from, as greasiness is almost dbled with VG in our liquids.

Now is this all bad? Heck no! OTOH have realistic expectations. I can say almost verbatim that folks trialling the new plats are vaping undiluted VG in their mixes (perhaps with the exception of the DIY) as I know of only one mfr that dilutes their VG. It all goes back to wetting and interpreting the information provided by the reviewers. Now I can very well be out to lunch, but there are certain things that simply don't change to include the new tank systems with coils. A better unit life, but one that degrades within weeks not months. Proof to the pudding...

Carto longevity increased when the unit was submerged, there is no denying that. One thing we could not do was burn the filler which contributed to the inadequacies of properly wicking the liquid, unless the permeability of the filler was put to the test with improper viscosity adjusted liquids, e.g too much VG. The vaper placing too much demand on the system. This was corroborrated during the many autopsies I have performed in the past. Why are the new carto tanks better than their predecessors with the long wicks? No wetting or capillary action issues, limit the amount of wettable material between the liquid and the coil and you have success. The only other factor is coil gunk and remaining short wick greasiness over time.

Sorry for the long dissertation folks, you wanted to know, now you do :) As can be seen not an easy explanation, but my explanation nonetheless. It was a pleasure sharing this with you, my IKV family. It is not something I care to share with many at large on this forum, the Canadian Forum or any other forum for that matter. My time is valuable to me, and I have come to the conclusion that I am done wasting it. :)

Switcher

Damned good job Switcher but then your post have a tendancy to be that way.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Ahhhh Johnny, If you were vaping a carto up to 7V it was on its last legs, or was this a new one?

On that note I can't dis-agree either I vape for taste as well, always have always will. The gist was to match your atomizer to the power supply (for equipment longevity). I used to watch Grimmgreen vaping 2.2 cartos and atties at 6V and taking 7-8 second toots. He must of had magic unicorn dust on them because I could never do that, they popped as revealed by many in the day. I came to find out through the eVic software that my avg toot was 3.2-3.6 sec, where i believed it was 5sec plus. For example... Isaac invented the 5.2Ohm designed for 8.4V vaping (fresh 123 batteries) anything below that, 4 was the highest and they popped within minutes. That being said, atties (coils) have improved since those days. Wrt cartos, the only cartos I vaped have been IKVs. Having been part of his BETA testing team our job was to put them through the wringer which we did, at least some of us did (remember MWA?) They failed at HV. That being said... a carto or atty that was on their last legs could be rejuvenated with HV (while it lasted).

Take for example the following devices: Sigeli VMax and ZMax, the Vamo, and a few others that I can no longer remember. They all put out more power than their settings 0.2-1.0V to be exact (depending on the setting). To many this was great, MORE POWER was the phrase that was toted. I remember one individual in particular who boasted the "more power phrase" literally POed at atty longevity. Duh son, don't you realize why, and refusing the explanation? Nothing wrong with that, but be prepared to pay the price for your MORE POWER.

Stacking batteriesNo longer required these days but folks throw safety out the window for the extra power in VV/VW devices :lol: Battery longevity is diminished because a buck and boost chip is grossly inefficient in the buck mode and the extra power merely dissipated as heat. 2 x 18350 IMRs = 700mAh a single 18650 IMR = 2000mAh. But hey folks don't want to hear that :) Ya want more power (battery longevity) tie 2 x 18650s in parallel = 4000mAh, not 700mAh at 8.4V

I know you didn't go through the whole screwdriver and voltage tester thing, many did not after a while, they adjusted to taste on the Buzzkill. The gist of this post was... folks would be surprised at what voltage they are actually vaping at on devices which can be switched from VW to VV while maintaining their settings :) and of course these are adjusted to taste (well most of them). I was a a vape meet a few months back where buddy was vaping at 18W and boasting about it. His liquid tasted burnt :( Taste fine to me... Whatever floats your boat :)

It closing it is whatever keeps you off the stinkies :) If it ain't working for you and you are having performance problems. Then perhaps it is high time (public in general) lend credence to those who have been around the block and bought the T-shirt. :) An example from another forum...

XXX said:
No, but it does describe how to prolong it. I would say once it starts to become too nasty, then it is done, regardless if the carrier is stable. I don't mix any tobacco flavoured juices, so I don't really want to taste or smell the nic too much.

A simple Google brought this up...

DOW PuraGuard™ Propylene Glycol USP/EP has a shelf life of two years when stored as recommended by Dow About Propylene Glycols | Dow Propylene Glycols

We have been having this conversation for years, usually when folks are worried about regulations. The shelf life of a product doesn't change because we want/wish it to.

Vegetable Glycerine is a clear, colorless, and odorless liquid with an incredibly sweet taste having the consistency of thick syrup. It is used as an agent in cosmetics, toothpaste, shampoos, soaps, herbal remedies, pharmaceuticals, and other household items. Because it is soluble in water and alcohol, its versatility is a major benefactor in its purported growth and popularity within the manufacturing sector. It is invaluable as a natural source ingredient with emollient like properties which can soften and soothe the skin. This helps to explain why it is one of the most popular cosmetic additives used today.

Other uses include its solvency action which aides herbalists in extracting botanical properties from plant materials without the use of alcohol. This is especially helpful for those with alcohol sensitivities as most liquid herbal extracts contain alcohol. But given its severely limited shelf life, extracts made from Vegetable Glycerine typically have a shelf life of 14-24 months whereas alcohol extracts can have an extended shelf life of 4-6 years. https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/products/vegetable-glycerine/profile.

Care to argue with Kurt Kistler a PhD Chemist and adviser to AEMSA?

BTW good nic has little to no smell and little to no taste. If you are tasting it in your liquids, well...

We don't go around posting stuff to make someone's day miserable, but IMHO it is high time we replace chaff with wheat dontcha think? :)

Last edited:

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
I was surprised too and I usually try to get as close to 3 ohm cartos as I can. I just don't care for LR or anything close to LR but I also did a post on how long this carto was lasting. It's still going and I wouldn't dream of using a cartomizer at even 6 volts or over 5 volts for that matter but I noticed my controller was broke so Before fixing it, out of curiosity, I checked the voltage To see what I had been vaping at and the meter read 7.3 volts. Now It could've been wrong because I just use a Radio shack meter but the carto believe it or not is still working. I don't use it everyday because my new love is the dual coil Isaac makes. They are so damned good. The one I was vaping at 7 volts was the 510 MEGA Nitro DCT ProCoil V2 2.4Ω.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread